Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

If we are now seeing the elbow in deaths that mirrors the prior elbow in cases, then it looks like there is a 3-week lag. Which means deaths in Texas will keep going up to 150/day or so in a couple weeks.

And national deaths (average) will go up from 500/day to about 1000/day. Which is still below our peak (2000/day in April) but it's unclear if we will take the proper steps to bring it back down this time.

Last edited:
yeah right now its ridiculous
my coworkers have been exposed and the testing sites are so backed up it's taking them 2 or 3 days just to get swabbed
i went to ups and seen a line down the street for an urgent care. never seen anything like it.
then today we got 2 seperate emails from my building manager saying 2 different people have reported being positive in my apartment building. the elevators feel like covid traps. who knows how many other people have it?

yeah right now its ridiculous
my coworkers have been exposed and the testing sites are so backed up it's taking them 2 or 3 days just to get swabbed
i went to ups and seen a line down the street for an urgent care. never seen anything like it.
then today we got 2 seperate emails from my building manager saying 2 different people have reported being positive in my apartment building. the elevators feel like covid traps. who knows how many other people have it?
The swab center I helped out at is now staying open from 6am to 9pm.

Surprise, surprise......

Can someone explain to me how Ro (transmission rate) is calculated and how it impacts us? It’s supposed to represent the rate of spread and any number at or greater than one means the virus is not contained. I get all that, but NJ’s Ro has crept up from .67 or so a month and a half ago at its lowest, to .83 or so a few weeks back when retail opened, to know it’s at 1.1 but daily new cases are still in the 300-400 range we have been in for two months. I don’t get it.

02AC7867-FF90-4B77-8F87-2196611BA87C.jpeg

Can someone explain to me how Ro (transmission rate) is calculated and how it impacts us? It’s supposed to represent the rate of spread and any number at or greater than one means the virus is not contained. I get all that, but NJ’s Ro has crept up from .67 or so a month and a half ago at its lowest, to .83 or so a few weeks back when retail opened, to know it’s at 1.1 but daily new cases are still in the 300-400 range we have been in for two months. I don’t get it.
It's the rate of change. So if there are only 2 new cases but last week there was only 1 new case, the R0 would be 2.0.

The exact calculation can get complicated and I don't know how it's done exactly but essentially it just takes the number of cases this week and compares it to the prior week and uses that ratio to estimate R0. Sometimes they correct for testing, lags in reporting, etc. They also have to assume what the reproduction period is (how quickly it spreads, or how long one generation is). I think for covid it's generally 5 days or so in the models.

Long story short, <1 means it is declining and will eventually vanish. >1 means it's increasing and will keep getting worse.

Honest question. Has any authority figure anywhere in the world tried to advocate for us to strengthen our immune systems? Close down fast food? Ban tobacco? Anyone know of any good vitamins or supplements for a boost? Ideal diet recommendations for peak performance? GNC just filed for bankruptcy. You'd think these places would be thriving.

Why aren't politicians pushing us to get healthy?

Honest question. Has any authority figure anywhere in the world tried to advocate for us to strengthen our immune systems? Close down fast food? Ban tobacco? Anyone know of any good vitamins or supplements for a boost? Ideal diet recommendations for peak performance? GNC just filed for bankruptcy. You'd think these places would be thriving.

Generally lifestyle changes are very hard to push from a public policy standpoint, and also hard from a medical standpoint. It's easier to prescribe anti-depressants, for example, than to get someone to do intense therapy.

The risk factors are obesity, diabetes, and asthma. The first two are already associated with a host of medical ailments that in all likelihood are much more likely to take years off those people's lives. But attempts to get people to adopt healthier lifestyles has not helped get the obesity epidemic under control. It's unlikely that adding "more likely to die from Covid-19" to the laundry list of other bad outcomes will suddenly get people to turn things around, but it's worth a shot.

Tobacco use actually appears to be mildly protective against Covid-19. And we've already waged a long and effective public health campaign to reduce its use.

As for any good supplements, I just don't think there's any good evidence to support the use of any specific substance.

As to your last question, I agree 100%. This pandemic is at least an opening for politicians to push for public health campaigns and general well-being. I mean, if you're a 30-year-old right now, it's unlikely Covid-19 will kill you, but going down the road of obesity / diabetes / high cholesterol probably will eventually.

Last edited:
If people want to get piss drunk that’s up to them

I don’t like Alcohol or drunks that’s why I’m against it
my father was a bum and a drunk that’s why I feel the way I do
btw the way he got into a car crash drinking when I was a child so when it comes to drinking Im not for it before Covid during Covid or after Covid

again it’s people being selfish so a few bars go under
i could care less
but Blake I don’t mean to come out to harsh to you as I know you mean well

Maybe I'm missing something since you seem so angry, but I don't see anything wrong with allowing takeout alcohol sales. Restaurants are already being hurt by many places (rightfully) not allowing indoor dining, so if they can make a little extra money through alcohol sales in order to keep from having to permanently close, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Because theres no money to be made from being disciplined and healthy.

Plain and simple.

My cousin went to Scottsdale 6 weeks ago.. said clubs and bars in old town had no masks, el here was 90-100% cap, the independent , full capacity., bunch of other places full capacity. told his *** to quarantine. Didn’t test positive but said it was like normal out there.

mad at him but more mad at the ****ers that allow it.

Back
Top Bottom