Help Me Get Buff NikeTalk S&T **1 MONTH COMPLETED** .... Vol. Come on in RyGuy, Mez, etc.

jpzx

Supporter
Let me start out by saying... I'm a lean/skinny white dude. 
laugh.gif

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 160

What should I do? I'm already toned (more-so in the abs than the arms), but I would LOVE to gain more muscle mass. Please, if you got time, recommend me protein shakes/powders, things to eat (I'm not trying to lose weight because I'm already skinny/lean), what I should be lifting, any other tips you guys got! Whatever.
glasses.gif

I've never lifted before in my life
laugh.gif
frown.gif
... I do cardio 4-5 times a week, usually 3.5-4.0 miles a day.

Which one are you?

How much/many times a day are you eating?

What kind of access do you have to weights/a gym?

The one that doesn't have his face swirled 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I eat 3-4 times a day. Two of those 3-4 times are full meals, after that it's just light snacking.

Gym literally 500 feet from where I'm living.

Son, how have you NEVER lifted before in your life? Like how is that even possible that you've never touched a weight before in your 19-20 years of your life?

I swear I always thought you were some 40 year old dude though.

I feel kinda stupid now.
laugh.gif

Considering you've never lifted in your life, I'd suggest to start out slow, regardless of what you're doing.

Either way, you're going to be sore as a %#++#!@%*%%+.
laugh.gif

You're going to question yourself (if you're really 'bout that life), but just push through it.  It gets better after a couple weeks.

I'm far from a personal trainer, but I feel this is good advice to start out w/ .  I'll let someone more knowledgeable on starter plans than me help you out.

Ever since HS football was over w/ I've lifted to stay toned, not buff...so I don't really know what I'm doing w/ these goals.

Originally Posted by CosmicCanon

I could've sworn there was a team fitness thread on NT, oh wellz. 
eyes.gif

You of all people complaining about wasted bandwidth...

Tryin to be more like Clay Matthews right JPZ?
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Son, how have you NEVER lifted before in your life? Like how is that even possible that you've never touched a weight before in your 19-20 years of your life?

Basketball and Track & Field in HS.... never required us to lift in either.
laugh.gif

Also, I partially never lifted because I didn't want to just do it sparingly. Sparingly and sporadically doesn't get you anywhere. If I was going to lift, I told myself I'd commit, and that's what I'm willing to do now.

40-Year Old Man?
laugh.gif
No, sir. Jay02 thought I was Asian.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by N II K 3

I feel kinda stupid now.
laugh.gif

Considering you've never lifted in your life, I'd suggest to start out slow, regardless of what you're doing.

Either way, you're going to be sore as a %#++#!@%*%%+.
laugh.gif

You're going to question yourself (if you're really 'bout that life), but just push through it.  It gets better after a couple weeks.

I'm far from a personal trainer, but I feel this is good advice to start out w/ .  I'll let someone more knowledgeable on starter plans than me help you out.

Ever since HS football was over w/ I've lifted to stay toned, not buff...so I don't really know what I'm doing w/ these goals.

Starting out slow is fine with me... but yeah I definitely will be committed, so I'll push through.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Tryin to be more like Clay Matthews right JPZ?
Less hair, more flair.

i weighed 160 a year ago, at 182 now. same height.

i honestly dont know what to recommend since uve never lifted before besides to just develop consistency going 4 times or so a week. chest monday, legs tues, back weds, shoulders friday or something similar. start with a weight you can do about 10 reps of. do 3 sets and if you want add weight for the third.

you dont really need supps yet imo. but if you wanna put on weight and strength quicker russian bear worked for me.

once you go for 2-3 months is when you can start lifting very heavy going for 4-8 reps per set and doing 4 sets on the main power lifts. when i started lifting like that it was the real turning point for me, but for now get familiar with the gym, your bodys capabilities, and developing the right attitude and consistency.

eggs, tuna, sandwiches, etc are your friend and dont shy away from carbs. force yourself to eat a lot and soon it'll become normal for you. and try getting a workout partner, an ipod helps too.

I'm literally the same build and in the same situation.  Glad you made this thread 
laugh.gif

About to buy that 2 year membership for 24 hour fitness for 320.00 and get some personal training sessions to get my regiment down.

Oh yeah, if you stick to this and do this right...this will be life changing.
pimp.gif

Eggs, peanut butter, tuna, turkey, chicken, pasta, nuts, fruits, veggies should be a good portion of your diet if it isn't already.

For protein "sups", I recommend Snickers protein bars:

snickers_marathon.jpg

You can find them at Walmart (a lot of grocery stores don't carry them).

Eat this immediately after your workout everyday.  It doesn't taste as +!!%%# as a lot of these protein drinks, plus you don't really need anything heavy duty at the moment.

Drink water all day, every day (if you're not already).

Don't OD on Gatorade.

I haven't lifted properly in years for a long duration, and you got me motivated to do this right now.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

About to buy that 2 year membership for 24 hour fitness for 320.00

alien.gif
INFO?! I'm only paying $30/month, but holy *%%* that's a good deal.

And does that Snickers bar thing really work?

What do you mean does it work?
laugh.gif

It's 21 grams of protein.  It's not magical or anything.  You should eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake immediately after every workout.

Just to be clear, when I said:
pimp.gif

I was referring to a consistent lifting regimen.

I'm literally the same build and in the same situation.  Glad you made this thread 
laugh.gif

About to buy that 2 year membership for 24 hour fitness for 320.00 and get some personal training sessions to get my regiment down.

Complete waste IMO. The gym I go to gave me 5 different trainers due to them leaving for better jobs. They can stick you with whoever and your money is TRAPPED. I have seen the members here post some very good, DETAILED info. If we can get the right ones in here they can get you right.

Trainers
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

Good luck fam.

Originally Posted by Noskey

About to buy that 2 year membership for 24 hour fitness for 320.00

alien.gif
INFO?! I'm only paying $30/month, but holy *%%* that's a good deal.

And does that Snickers bar thing really work?

pretty sure Bruce is talking about the package from Costco (
pimp.gif
btw )

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

What do you mean does it work?
laugh.gif

It's 21 grams of protein.  It's not magical or anything.  You should eat a protein bar or drink a protein shake immediately after every workout.

Just to be clear, when I said:
pimp.gif
I was referring to a consistent lifting regimen.

Yeah I got the regimen thing, but I was skeptical about the Snickers bar cause it's made by a candy company.

Made by a "candy company" or not, most of that bar is whey protein.  Every protein bar is going to have some chocolate for the most part.

If you've never done the protein sups before, most of that stuff is going to taste like dog $++*.  Just giving the best tasting bar I know of.
pimp.gif

And yeah, that personal trainer stuff is unnecessary and a waste of cash.

If you really need help w/ the basics, just watch some intro to lifting videos or workout w/ a buddy/someone who knows what they're doing the first couple times.

Leave that nonsense to the females.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Word. Mind = Blown
But Lift, eat, Lift, eat, Lift, eat....

Gaining muscle mass is eating more than anything. You look like a guy who probably has a damn good metabolism like me. I can eat whatever the hell I want and wont gain a pound. Because of that I pretty much went by what my older brother told me, because of my metabolism I can literally eat whatever I want to gain mass as long as I was eating and eating, and eating. He's pretty a big lifter who's knowledgeable on the topic so I listened and it worked. Ice cream, Taco Bell, Mcdonalds, didnt matter, as long as I was pounding food/calories I would gain weight. Now I didnt make that my complete diet..Things like tuna, eggs, and steak are great with all the protein it has which also helps gaining mass. You should definitely be eating those types of foods as well. For the record im not saying go eat a ton of taco bell and you'll get buff, im just saying if you are one of those guys that can put whatever into your body and not gain an ounce it might not matter as much for you. Again, just as long as you eat, eat, eat.

Along with that, I didnt take just a regular protein shake but I took a protein weight gainer to put on mass quicker and it really worked. Something like this
http://www.bodybuilding.c...asspeak.html?MCID=F-GOOG

When it comes to actually lifting I usually go
Day 1 Chest, Biceps
Day 2 Shoulders, Triceps
Day 3 Back and Legs

Personally I dont even do any cardio cause im not trying to lose fat. Dont have much to begin with. Once I get to the point where i might be too bulky and wanna become a bit more cut then i'll think about it. Until then playing ball 2 times a week is enough for me.

This has personally worked for me, ive been getting good results. I have put on a good amount of weight since I started college last year. The only negative is that to get big, you gotta eat alot, which costs alot of money. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Originally Posted by PMatic

I prefer chocolate milk after lifting.
This with Whey Powder (52g) with a banana in the shake. After every workout.
That's me though.

I drink JUST Chocolate Milk after a lite workout though.

Snickers protein bars are garbage full of bad sugars

Find a routine that works for you, and make sure rest in between (don't do chest every other day, etc), and don't have a day such a chest and triceps together, you are over-working the triceps muscle in one day and its a very small muscle, have a day devoted to it (maybe a biceps and triceps day).....which is good to do as you can super set both and have a quicker workout.

Eat and lift, and eat eat eat eat that is the only way you will make any weight gains. Invest in some egg white cartons, drink whey protein shakes at least 2x per day in between meals, and eat tuna, chicken breast, etc.

Back
Top Bottom