Help a NTer out. I DESPISE my job

OP you need to start setting yourself up for success. I'm 22 with a sociology degree and nothing else to back it up. All through college I would smoke green and be complacent working at footlocker and having every paycheck go to shoes.

I'm starting to realize I have to surround myself with ambitious people. I'm currently in the process of becoming a value-giving person rather than a leech. I had to ask myself what value do I give to the world? And I learned that I don't. So whatever you do make sure you're in a position of giving instead of taking. The world doesn't owe you or anyone else ****.

Get a job that you enjoy. I'm currently being pressured to go into law enforcement and despite it being good money, it's not what I want to do.

I like my current job but it doesn't pay enough,but I'm still applying at others or work two till I go back to school

But I gotta do what I gotta do to see changes.
Don't ***** op just do it

@wj4
 Exactly coding is not for everyone, hell I'm dying to get out of my software engineering role and I'm not even a full year in.

I see people recommending those boot camps, but how many people have actually landed good paying jobs from it? 60K+?
I am highly skeptical of a short "boot camp" preparing you for real world application and success.

Interviews for entry level software engineer positions mainly consist of drilling programming theory questions, so you have to actually know the theories more than the coding.
The degree verifies you made it through the rigorous programming, but the theory verifies that you actually paid attention and grasped the concepts.
I networked with a few recruiters that get these folks. They said with a few years of experience and depending on their strengths, ie front or back end or full stack, it starts at $45-50K. That's almost in the same range as other majors and in line with what I started out with after undergrad with no experience in my field.

I just want to know more about it since it's not going anywhere soon and I want to be able to write a prototype for my project as oppose to outsourcing. I know I'm not cut out to code for sure. I can't even hang at the hackathons I attended. There are dudes out there who can sit and code for 10-15 hours straight.

stupid question, but are these online coding boot camps or schools something i would be able to do in my free time from the comfort of my home? i like my job but i'm always interested in acquiring another skillset that i could parlay into a different gig with more financial upside. how difficult would it be to pick this up? not that it matters, but i got my degree in MIS and forgot 98% of the stuff i learned in the 1-2 basic programming classes i had to take.

get a cdl

dont do this. i finance OTR trucks and deal with owner operators daily. that life seems miserable and it doesnt really pay that much until you can actually build up your own fleet and hire other sucker CDL drivers to make that money for you.

I'm 22 and the exact same way. About to graduate with a bachelors in a year in a **** major. I  figured something out what I'm going to go into but it's gonna take like six years to get everything all together when all my boys are getting into their careers in like a year or two. I don't even know if I like what I picked but it pays and I'm just ready to make some money so I'm not broke and eventually I can just die alone and old one day.

Last edited:
If you read into generation periods, they often overlap meaning I could potentially be either or side. Generation X is defined as 1965 to early 1980's and I think generation Y (millennials) is defined as early 1980's to present. I was born in 1981, so I can be either or but I would say I identify with generation x more just because I feel like my history has defined who I am. Meaning where my parents came from in migrating to America, my grandparents which have been in the war, etc. I feel millennials have little to no disregard to their past and only think in the present. Most I talk to are very uncultured in that sense and only focus on their own micro culture.

Generally speaking (because different people have different definitions), Gen X'ers are in their late 30's to early 50's. I'm 32, my wife is 35, and I would characterize both of us as millenials.

If the millenials you talk to are uncultured and focus on only their micro culture, I suggest you find new people to talk to. Most of the millenials I know are well educated, socially active, and well on their way to successful careers. Of course I'm biased as most of the people I know are from either college or law school.; but that just goes to show you what using a small, limited, and biased sample does to ones view.

Millenials are the same as gen x are the same as baby boomers; people want to be successful and live good lives, regardless of their age. I think this generation, after feeling the crushing weight of student debt, the Great Recession, a poor economy, and an idelogically divided country will be the one to correct the course that previous generations have set us on.

But of course, I'm biased.....and I'm black, if that matters. :tongue:

Last edited:
Never meant that coding was for everyone. But OP asked for help and this was a suggestion :lol:

He's 22 and basically looking for a new life. Coding is a great option

Been wanting to learn some coding and put it on my resume. Should I just buy some C++ books?

Been wanting to learn some coding and put it on my resume. Should I just buy some C++ books?

Depends what you're using it for. I used Matlab all throughout skill. That's good for mathematics based stuff.

But there's other programs like Python which are extremely versatile

It really depends what you do though. But sas programming can be a very rewarding and lucrative field.

If you read into generation periods, they often overlap meaning I could potentially be either or side. Generation X is defined as 1965 to early 1980's and I think generation Y (millennials) is defined as early 1980's to present. I was born in 1981, so I can be either or but I would say I identify with generation x more just because I feel like my history has defined who I am. Meaning where my parents came from in migrating to America, my grandparents which have been in the war, etc. I feel millennials have little to no disregard to their past and only think in the present. Most I talk to are very uncultured in that sense and only focus on their own micro culture.
Generally speaking (because different people have different definitions), Gen X'ers are in their late 30's to early 50's. I'm 32, my wife is 35, and I would characterize both of us as millenials.

If the millenials you talk to are uncultured and focus on only their micro culture, I suggest you find new people to talk to. Most of the millenials I know are well educated, socially active, and well on their way to successful careers. Of course I'm biased as most of the people I know are from either college or law school.; but that just goes to show you what using a small, limited, and biased sample does to ones view.

Millenials are the same as gen x are the same as baby boomers; people want to be successful and live good lives, regardless of their age. I think this generation, after feeling the crushing weight of student debt, the Great Recession, a poor economy, and an idelogically divided country will be the one to correct the course that previous generations have set us on.

But of course, I'm biased.....and I'm black, if that matters.
tongue.gif
that's every american generation but good post nevertheless 

Never meant that coding was for everyone. But OP asked for help and this was a suggestion :lol:

He's 22 and basically looking for a new life. Coding is a great option

It's a horrible option if you don't have the passion for it. It's too meticulous to consider just an option.

What makes it different than the thousands of other books like Rich Dad Poor Dads etc.?

I've never read Rich Dad but I have read many other business books. Neither of those books go into extreme detail and explain the fundamentals of businesses that lead to riches & wealth like The Millionaire Fastlane does. When I read it, I couldn't do anything but feel chills after soaking up what I had been searching for for years.

Here's a shorten version of what he talks about in the book:

Purchase yourself a copy of The Millionaire Fastlane.

Then, come on over to the entrepreneur family.

Thank me later.
This man know 
pimp.gif
 The Millionaire Fastlane and Rich Dad Poor Dad changed my entire mindset.

I want to read E-Myth and 4 hour work week next. I have to start reading some Real Estate books too.
It's a horrible option if you don't have the passion for it. It's too meticulous to consider just an option.
Exactly people are throwing out coding like its really an easy and fast avenue to making good money. If coding was so easy to jump into everyone would be doing it, but it takes hard work and dedication that a lot of people just aren't willing to put in honestly. You can't take a few courses at code academy then start making 6 figures in your career it takes YEARS of hard work, and people need to understand that upfront. If you didn't get a CS degree it will take passion and dedication for you to land a job.

Took me a good 3 years to really understand what I was doing by my forth year in school I felt comfortable enough to complete programs on my own. IMO I'm still not super good at programming and that is because its not my passion and never will be. It is a great field and it will lead you to many opportunities if you take advantage of them.

People interested should take a look at the programming thread  and start posting there, seems like there is a lot of interest.

OP, first let's start with this. Do you have a passion or something you wake up thinking about every morning of your life?

I was there @ 22. Now I'm 24 making 80k a year with no degree or doing any real work. Life is easy for now. I'm blessed. I'm living at home still because it allows me to save more and actually invest. Hopefully by the end of the year or before March I have another source of income.

My sister is 28 with a bachelor and no job. Collecting unemployment.

My brother is 27 a college dropout with loans and makes 40k a year.

Nobody believed in me but myself.

Believe in yourself and save as much as you can. Don't spend unless you have to.

Last edited:
OP, first let's start with this. Do you have a passion or something you wake up thinking about every morning of your life?
Honestly, sneakers. I have a legit passion for shoes.

I was there @ 22. Now I'm 24 making 80k a year with no degree or doing any real work. Life is easy for now. I'm blessed. I'm living at home still because it allows me to save more and actually invest. Hopefully by the end of the year or before March I have another source of income.

My sister is 28 with a bachelor and no job. Collecting unemployment.

My brother is 27 a college dropout with loans and makes 40k a year.

Nobody believed in me but myself.

Believe in yourself and save as much as you can. Don't spend unless you have to.
Care to share any advice?

Back
Top Bottom