[| -- HDTV/LCD Suggestions In The GTA -- |]

DYNAMICS

formerly diplomat tdot
Been doing a lot of research but figured getting more input doesn't hurt, so I'm looking for a HDTV/LCD preferably under 40" with a 1080p.

The main thing something that will LAST not something that will be done in 2 years.

im actually lookin for the same thing but somthing in the 19-26" range that has vga input so i can hook my computer up to it

any suggestions for that?

^ They are?
laugh.gif
because I got their flyer for this week, didn't see it mentioned.

edit: nevermind I have it.

its on their site too

i just checked, smh those isignia brand tvs are tempting but iv never heard of em so ill pass em, might just go buy a nicer model

word to futureshop giftcards

FS deals are bleh.

honestly, mellow, thos insignia things are okay, My mom needed one for her room, grabbed a 21inch, and no problems so far.

I've heard alot about the Aquos, a co-worker of mine picked one up for her husband, said its really good, and its probably one of the best you can getright now.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

Been doing a lot of research but figured getting more input doesn't hurt, so I'm looking for a HDTV/LCD preferably under 40" with a 1080p.

The main thing something that will LAST not something that will be done in 2 years.
Well, first, stay the hell away from Insignia unless you want a new one in a couple of years.

So, for LCD, its all about the letter "S" (samsung, sharp and sony) any of those. You may want to consider both LG and Toshiba. IMO Toshiba ispretty underrated, but the sharp sets and the samsungs are the best.

You'll pay more for a 1080p set under 40"...like a grand...but the picture will be ridiculous. Very high pixel density, so you can sit relativelyclose to it.

the Sharp D64U 32" at FS is a good buy...$100 off.
the 37" K series Sony is a great deal at $899

That sharp is really your best bet for 1080p under 40". there is a 37" in the same series for $300 more which would be totally worth the investment.

I bought my pioneer plasma at BB last year and I only regret not getting it bigger. FS/BB are in high competition to sell these TV's so you should be ableto work in free or discounted cables.

Personally, if I were you I would wait untill May when the new models are out and the old ones are heavily discounted. You should be able to get a great dealthen. I did this and managed to get the following.

Pioneer 42" plasma
2 free 6ft. HDMI cables
1/2 off product service plan
Free upconverting pioneer DVD player. The TV was $800 off and they took the cost of all those items out of the TV...I ended up paying $3300 all in.

Originally Posted by 5tan

FS deals are bleh.

honestly, mellow, thos insignia things are okay, My mom needed one for her room, grabbed a 21inch, and no problems so far.

I've heard alot about the Aquos, a co-worker of mine picked one up for her husband, said its really good, and its probably one of the best you can get right now.

It's funny because I thought I had the wrong flyer, because IMO I didn't see any "deals" but then again the last time I checked a FSflyer was during the Christmas Holidays when I got a camera.

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

Well, first, stay the hell away from Insignia unless you want a new one in a couple of years.

So, for LCD, its all about the letter "S" (samsung, sharp and sony) any of those. You may want to consider both LG and Toshiba. IMO Toshiba is pretty underrated, but the sharp sets and the samsungs are the best.

You'll pay more for a 1080p set under 40"...like a grand...but the picture will be ridiculous. Very high pixel density, so you can sit relatively close to it.

That sharp is really your best bet for 1080p under 40". there is a 37" in the same series for $300 more which would be totally worth the investment.

I bought my pioneer plasma at BB last year and I only regret not getting it bigger. FS/BB are in high competition to sell these TV's so you should be able to work in free or discounted cables.

Personally, if I were you I would wait untill May when the new models are out and the old ones are heavily discounted. You should be able to get a great deal then. I did this and managed to get the following.

Pioneer 42" plasma
2 free 6ft. HDMI cables
Free upconverting pioneer DVD player. The TV was $800 off and they took the cost of all those items out of the TV...I ended up paying $3300 all in.

c0nf0cal - Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, I don't mind doing 40"but that's the most I remember during Christmas Holidays FS having Samsung LCD's under 40" for about $1200. Best Buy has this Samsung 40"with HDMI System for $1700, while FS has the same TV (by itself though) for $1500.

I just don't get how FS has a 42" Samsung Plasma 768p w/ the HDMI Home System for$1500 also....is it because people aren't messing with Plasma's so that full package is the same as a LCD TV on it's own?

I just don't get how FS has a 42" Samsung Plasma 768p w/ the HDMI Home System for $1500 also....is it because people aren't messing with Plasma's so that full package is the same as a LCD TV on it's own?
Not really I mean, 720p sets in 42" aren't that high in demand, youcan get a LG 42" 720p LCD for $999 here in Canada, not a great deal.
I got my 1080p 40" Samsung from Canada Computers for $1100, pretty good deal. Blu-ray looks great.
Like c0nf0cal stick with the S's,but I wouldn't go for a Sonly unless you're gonna get an XBR, which gets pretty pricey.
And yeah, I work at Sears and all the new models are coming late April, early May so look out for those.
I was at Best Buy yesterday and then had the 32" 1080p Sharp D62U for $849.99, pretty good deal.
Don't get fooled with HDMI cables, CBC did a special on how they're a scam and the video in is the
exact same as the video out, regardless of brand. They try to hustle you into cables cause they get great
commission on em.

This is in November, but I mean they have an exclusive partnership with Samsung.
Samsung 40" LCD
866.jpg

Don't be afraid of the word refurbished either, 3/4 of the time it was never defective
either an RTV or just a product that a consumer didn't want so they sent it back.

Sony/Sharp/Samsung all make quality TVs. It pretty much comes down to which one you think looks better (Samsung IMO) and which one you can get for cheaper.

So, for LCD, its all about the letter "S" (samsung, sharp and sony) any of those. You may want to consider both LG and Toshiba. IMO Toshiba is pretty underrated, but the sharp sets and the samsungs are the best.

You'll pay more for a 1080p set under 40"...like a grand...but the picture will be ridiculous. Very high pixel density, so you can sit relatively close to it.

I bought my pioneer plasma at BB last year and I only regret not getting it bigger. FS/BB are in high competition to sell these TV's so you should be able to work in free or discounted cables.

Personally, if I were you I would wait untill May when the new models are out and the old ones are heavily discounted. You should be able to get a great deal then. I did this and managed to get the following.

Pioneer 42" plasma
2 free 6ft. HDMI cables

c0nf0cal - Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, I don't mind doing 40" but that's the most I remember during Christmas Holidays FS having Samsung LCD's under 40" for about $1200. Best Buy has this Samsung 40" with HDMI System for $1700, while FS has the same TV (by itself though) for $1500.

I just don't get how FS has a 42" Samsung Plasma 768p w/ the HDMI Home System for $1500 also....is it because people aren't messing with Plasma's so that full package is the same as a LCD TV on it's own?
yeah that's pretty much it as plasma technology is decreasing in demand along with 720p sets. Although, if you watch any sport on any LCD, andthen go to plasma, its not even close. IMO, the picture on a plasma can't be touched by LCD. Some get pretty close but its just not quite there. Hockeyis especially poor on a LCD.

Anyway, I wanted to mention this site for LCD BUYING GUIDES its pretty comprehensive and has everything you maylook for. Also, consider using this DISTANCE CALCULATOR. Itshelpful. when you're considering your set size. From my experience, the advantage to getting a 1080p set is that you can sit closer to a larger panel,while keeping the same image resolution and quality, while experiencing the huge size. I'm too far from my set I think. I should have got a 50". Ihave an older NEC commercial panel in my other room and its the same size as the pioneer, but the seating is closer and the picture seems better...even thoughI know its not
laugh.gif

To be honest, depending on your budget, if you're looking at a panel under 40", I would strongly consider getting a 720p resolution to save some cash. Everything is broadcast in 720p or 1080i right now, and unless you have a PS3 or BRDVD you're not going to be taking advantage of the resolution anyway. Also, its not like what you watch in 720 is going to look bad compared to 1080p. They all look awesome. I would just stress you put your money in a goodbrand like samsung or sharp. I agree that its would be wise to stay away from sony unless you're going to XBR, but all they're panels are good.

If you're not in a rush, wait a month or two and you will see all of the current models go on heavy sale. The big MFR's cycle the models twice a year. You should be able to get a really good deal come the end of April beginning of May.

Edit - one thing I wanted to mention last time...check out G&G Audio Video (I think that's what its called). You're in Scarb right? Its atkingston and ahhh, just west of morning side if I remember right. They're really good with Sony, and I'm sure you can negotiate a deal. I bought astereo from 2001 Audio Video and you can haggle those dudes...may be worth a try if you see a model you like.

I had the itch 2 months ago and I decided to wait until next year. Deals from FS/BB/AV2001/Telecity are enticing but they're pretty much old stocks thatneed to go. Paying an arm and a leg won't be an issue for my next year because as you said, you'd want something that's up to date and somethingthat'll last. IF you decide to buy one now get something that's top of the line because that would be the standard next year.

Every thing's been said here but one last tip: don't buy those deals from FS/BB. Again, they're old stock and if you want something really"nice", you'd have to look elsewhere or buy separate - that's coming from my co-worker who works pt for FS.

plasmas might be better from the jump but colors fade. An lcds picutre will always look the same as the day you bought it. If decide to go with a lcd youcan't go wrong with Sharp or Samsung, but last i heard Samsung has some issues with clouding on deep blacks...this was about 1 1/2 year ago when i boughtmy tv though.... a tv i would consider right now is the $1300 samsung 40 1080p at FS...if you want top of the line Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz $2000......Sony40" 1080p 120Hz $2400.

120Hz will be the new standard for next year and also bby has newer stock then fs right now. IMO $700 is not worth the 120Hz.....

Also, Q......you know i can still get cost price at fs and bby right and extended warranty at half price right......

51NV5E5AW8L._AA280_.jpg

Anyone know where i can find this white samsung 23" inch in the GTA?
Ive tried the Fs and BB's but they only care the 19", any help is appericated.

Originally Posted by Freshsince1982

51NV5E5AW8L._AA280_.jpg

Anyone know where i can find this white samsung 23" inch in the GTA?
Ive tried the Fs and BB's but they only care the 19", any help is appericated.

I have the 26inch White one... im not sure if they sell em anymore, I got mines Dec 2006.

Pioneer 42" plasma
2 free 6ft. HDMI cables

c0nf0cal - Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, I don't mind doing 40" but that's the most I remember during Christmas Holidays FS having Samsung LCD's under 40" for about $1200. Best Buy has this Samsung 40" with HDMI System for $1700, while FS has the same TV (by itself though) for $1500.

yeah that's pretty much it as plasma technology is decreasing in demand along with 720p sets. Although, if you watch any sport on any LCD, and then go to plasma, its not even close. IMO, the picture on a plasma can't be touched by LCD. Some get pretty close but its just not quite there. Hockey is especially poor on a LCD.

Anyway, I wanted to mention this site for LCD BUYING GUIDES its pretty comprehensive and has everything you may look for. Also, consider using this DISTANCE CALCULATOR. Its helpful. when you're considering your set size. From my experience, the advantage to getting a 1080p set is that you can sit closer to a larger panel, while keeping the same image resolution and quality, while experiencing the huge size. I'm too far from my set I think. I should have got a 50". I have an older NEC commercial panel in my other room and its the same size as the pioneer, but the seating is closer and the picture seems better...even though I know its not
laugh.gif

To be honest, depending on your budget, if you're looking at a panel under 40", I would strongly consider getting a 720p resolution to save some cash. Everything is broadcast in 720p or 1080i right now, and unless you have a PS3 or BRDVD you're not going to be taking advantage of the resolution anyway. Also, its not like what you watch in 720 is going to look bad compared to 1080p. They all look awesome. I would just stress you put your money in a good brand like samsung or sharp. I agree that its would be wise to stay away from sony unless you're going to XBR, but all they're panels are good.

If you're not in a rush, wait a month or two and you will see all of the current models go on heavy sale. The big MFR's cycle the models twice a year. You should be able to get a really good deal come the end of April beginning of May.

Edit - one thing I wanted to mention last time...check out G&G Audio Video (I think that's what its called). You're in Scarb right? Its at kingston and ahhh, just west of morning side if I remember right. They're really good with Sony, and I'm sure you can negotiate a deal. I bought a stereo from 2001 Audio Video and you can haggle those dudes...may be worth a try if you see a model you like.

Yeah I'm in Scarborough, I'm familiar with the spot. Yeah I'm 99% sure I'm going with the Saumsung, I don't mind a 40" justdon't want to go over that until I move next year.

I appreciate ALL the info everyone passed on, that's why I rather NT info wise everything is on point in this forum.

Good choice. My brother-in-law has a samsung 47" and its a very nice TV. My only advice, and I think he regrets this, is to get the 120Hz version if youcan afford it. It will make a big difference if you're really into sports or gaming. If you don't see any other sets as your life goes (ie. youdon't go to anyones house with a different TV or more bells a whistles) it probably won't matter, but that's one feature I'd highly recommendfor a LCD set.

I was thinking about this on the weekend, and if money is no object, you can get yourself an Apple Cinema Series monitor. Its 1600p and is just over 2G'sI think.

Ok, I'll stop replying now.

Naw keep posting
laugh.gif
think this will help others down the road too, money wise I'm looking to spend the most $1500.

Back
Top Bottom