HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

laugh.gif
@putting a 55 in the bedroom. i hope you live in a mansion..buying toobig of a tv is a waste of money and can mess your eyes up

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

laugh.gif
@putting a 55 in the bedroom. i hope you live in a mansion..buying too big of a tv is a waste of money and can mess your eyes up
where I sit on my bed is about 15 ft away from my TV so its not too bad. I don't have a mansion, but the master bedroom is pretty big.

i have a samsung hd projector in my bedroom on a 110 inch screen... its 17 and a few inches away from the back of the bed.. perfectly fine for me

i have a question about a set up i want to do. ok i have a samsung 52 in. lcd with reg cable high def but i want to put my cable dvr box in a closet and hangmy lcd on the wall is there a module to make my remote work with out me gettin of the sofa. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a 46" Samsung too. Crazy cause I have a super small 250 sqf studio and I went in thinking I was going to get a 32", which turned into a37" and then finally settled on a 40" and when i bought it at Best Buy, they accidentally gave me a 46" by accident. I guess what happened isthe barcode on the 46" said it was a 40" and since Best Buy is all about serial numbers, they didn't even bother looking at the box.

Anyone know anything about calibrating LCD TVs? Best Buy was trying to sell me their warranty and services and they showed me something on calibrating theLCDTV to last longer? Also with people with Samsung Touch Of Color series TVs, how does that work? I read the manual and tried googling it and really foundnothing. Is it supposed to just start lighting up without turning it on?

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I just got a 46" Samsung too. Crazy cause I have a super small 250 sqf studio and I went in thinking I was going to get a 32", which turned into a 37" and then finally settled on a 40" and when i bought it at Best Buy, they accidentally gave me a 46" by accident. I guess what happened is the barcode on the 46" said it was a 40" and since Best Buy is all about serial numbers, they didn't even bother looking at the box.

Anyone know anything about calibrating LCD TVs? Best Buy was trying to sell me their warranty and services and they showed me something on calibrating the LCDTV to last longer? Also with people with Samsung Touch Of Color series TVs, how does that work? I read the manual and tried googling it and really found nothing. Is it supposed to just start lighting up without turning it on?

pimp.gif
which best buy was this?
laugh.gif

u should check out avsforums.com ...just search for the same TV model ....

I was at Sams Club yesterday and saw these two HDTV's next to each.
One was a regular run of the mill HDTV while the other was a 120 hz 50,000:1 (at least I think thats the specs) both playing Transformers in blu-ray and I mustsay, WOW! to the 120 ghz/50,000:1 ratio HDTV.
It was a huge difference and looked like I was watching live tv. The movement and color quality is topnotch and very smooth.
I am not sure if it is the Hz since there are already 24o Hz and 600Hz out there, maybe it is the 50,000:1 ratio?
Either way, I have never seen an HDTV produce quality as such, it was a 42" Phillips 42PFL6704D/F7 and on sale for $850.
Can someone tell me which feature made me drool all over this tv?

http://www.samsclub.com/s...&item=427456&pCatg=13308.
0060958517244_L4.jpg

^^^^^A Best buy in San Francisco. All they did is grab the box, take it to the security in the front to hold and pretty much had the barcode number writtendown on a piece of paper. No one was even looking at the TV at all and they were more concern on my funds. What's dope too is I had a 10% off coupon andsome gift cards.....so I paid only about a little over $900 after tax.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I was at Sams Club yesterday and saw these two HDTV's next to each.
One was a regular run of the mill HDTV while the other was a 120 hz 50,000:1 (at least I think thats the specs) both playing Transformers in blu-ray and I must say, WOW! to the 120 ghz/50,000:1 ratio HDTV.
It was a huge difference and looked like I was watching live tv. The movement and color quality is topnotch and very smooth.
I am not sure if it is the Hz since there are already 24o Hz and 600Hz out there, maybe it is the 50,000:1 ratio?
Either way, I have never seen an HDTV produce quality as such, it was a 42" Phillips 42PFL6704D/F7 and on sale for $850.
Can someone tell me which feature made me drool all over this tv?

http://www.samsclub.com/s...&item=427456&pCatg=13308 .
0060958517244_L4.jpg
I would go with this one for $598
eek.gif

0003798824230_L4.jpg

I'll check that out when I go back to Sams Club but the Phillips picture quality was just nothing I have seen before.
15,000:1 ratio compared to 50,000:1 ratio is a big difference and if the picture quality is affected, then I will opt for the Phillips.
What advantage does 600 Hz have compared to the 120 Hz?

I'll check that out when I go back to Sams Club but the Phillips picture quality was just nothing I have seen before.
15,000:1 ratio compared to 50,000:1 ratio is a big difference and if the picture quality is affected, then I will opt for the Phillips.
What advantage does 600 Hz have compared to the 120 Hz?
What I say is, don't put too much thought into the contrast ratio numbers...
Whenever I play Halo 3 or Madden, I notice NO lag. I have even done the calibration test on GH3 for lag, and it registers none. So that should give you insighton the Hz of the refresh rate.
Sports are flawless on this set. Here's a quick snap with my camera phone since my digi cam broke
frown.gif

2qvrz1u.jpg

Is that the same Panasonic you posted?
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
I'm just not as good when it comes to electronics and I am really not sure what made the picture quality on the Phillips so crisp.

I'm just not as good when it comes to electronics and I am really not sure what made the picture quality on the Phillips so crisp.
blu-ray?

Yeah, same one. I picked it up and felt like it's a steal. I had a LCD but it had uneven brightness and it was a 1080p. 1080p should be better, butit's really only useful if you're using Blu. I had a lot of artifacting with sports, which could be the set trying to convert everything to 1080p orcould be the LCD with the blur...

But that's neither her nor there with this Panny. 720p is perfect for right now, I don't think 1080p will be a standard for another 10 years... HDprogramming and HD video games are just barely in infancy and this set produces a great picture.

Don't let the bright LCDs sway you, you won't want it that bright in your home. Trust me, it will hurt your eyes. Give it a try, plus Sam's willlet you return it up to 6 months if you don't like it.

Originally Posted by i3allistic

blu-ray?

That can't be it, I have blueray on my current LCD and it isn't the same. The display also were playing the same movie, the same player next to eachother and the Phillips was just much more exceptional.
It isn't easy to explain but when I saw it from a distance, you can instantly tell the quality is superb.
The movements and action was just smoother and much, much more crisp. The peoples movement looks faster and clearer, I'm not an expert so I am trying toexplain to my best of ability so bare with me.
It isn't the brightness either, the picture was just bolder and better.

New apartment brings a new setup... Just put together my new TV stand last night... took me 4 freaking hours but it was well worth it.

Heres some pics.

Old setup...

c72250bead5bc9f1c67ecf43cd63d692a7a673f.jpg

Wires
sick.gif

f7015fee549ac8edcb6165a08794acb821abbff.jpg

NEW setup...

Components:

DirecTV HR21 HD DVR Reciever
XBox 360 Pro
Sony BDP-S360 Blu Ray Player
Pioneer 5.1 surround

42" Panasonic Plasma 42PZ80U 1080p

Before new TV stand...

After... and almost finished setup...

Still to come:

Yamaha RX-565 A/V Receiver
Polk PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer
(New speakers not decided on yet)

Give me your thoughts!

Why not? Whats wrong with it... It's gonna cost me $80 new... Its not the best sub out there but I gotta keep my costs somewhat low and for $80 I thinkthats a pretty damn good option.

Gettin the 565 for 240
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by langfor5

So I'm looking for a new TV for the living room. Happened to be looking around and saw this...Need a TV to mainly watch sports and play PS3.

Good deal? Bad deal? Currently $799 @ Target.

http://shop.bjs.com/produ...D=66808341&sc_cid=DF

http://www.target.com/Sam...0%20720p%20Plasma%20HDTV
Not bad, not bad... Samsungs do run a bit hotter than Panasonics though... Which may or may not lead to a buzzing noise from the fans. That'sa steal though... That's $16 an inch! Get it. You'll love it.

Just make sure to turn your contrast and brightness lower than half for the first month or so. Just so the set will break in.

BTW fraij da 5 11, I love that setup and the Panny
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom