HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by OGMIKEY

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

So does anyone regret not getting a 120hz TV? I am on the verge of getting a 37" Samsung for $809 and everything seems on point but except for that. I
figure I am not going to really utilize HD right now since I don't plan on getting a Blueray and I am not into gaming but I know in the long run, I would
get a Blueray. I was at Bestbuy looking at the comparison from 120hz to 60hz and I honestly could barely tell.
Are you in SoCal? I got a 40" Samsung 120hz brand new in the box for $899

Edit: oh and truth be told. The price warrants just getting a ps3 now instead of an upconverting player or stand alone blu ray.

Well those upconverters are less then a $100 and I don't want to get a Blu-Ray cause I honestly can't afford buying Blu-Ray disc and I jsut want to utilize by DVDs that I have bought over the year.

And I am in Nor Cal. Where did you get a 40" for $899? As of right now, Bestbuy is selling it for $999 for 1080p and 120hz.
I was referring to one I was selling thats why I was askin if you were in SoCal. 40" Samsung 630 series

I got for way cheaper than 899 thats why I'm selling for that price but you could cop it off amazon. I'm saying though if you're gonna get a 1080ptv, to really appreciate it you need blu ray. I would hold off on buying the dvd player than because it won't do you justice. The Blu ray player willupconvert the older dvd's as well. I feel what you're saying about not wanting to pay for the disks, I usually just rent em.

^^^^Good stuff. I'll just use my PS2 for now till I can pony up some more dough to get the Blu-Ray or a PS3. Thanks.

BTW, 120hz is junk. I seriously get sick when I watch it. It seems really fake and gimmicky.

Originally Posted by nnarum

BTW, 120hz is junk. I seriously get sick when I watch it. It seems really fake and gimmicky.
Junk? Vizios were junk.
Most plasmas are operating at 60hz...the LCDs at 120 just help smooth fast moving images. I don't even realize its being used anymore.

Amazon has Samsung 32" LN32B460 LCD TV + Sylvania NB530SLX Blu-ray Disc Player for $459 with free shipping.
  1. Click Here for TV and add to cart
  2. Click Here for Blu-Ray Player and add to cart
  3. Enter code NMBBGSIM
  4. Price should be $458.99
Next lowest on Google Products for the Samsung TV is $509 shipped and for the Blu-Ray Player is $164 shipped = $673 total for both if purchased separately.

Specs for the TV:
  • Contrast Ratio: 50,000:1 Dynamic
  • Resolution: 1366 (H) x 768 (V) 720p
  • Response Time: 6ms
  • Inputs:
    • 2x Composite
    • 2x component
    • 3x HDMI
    • 1x VGA

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

http://www.youtube.com/v/2stJxmMvYzw&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1http://www.youtube.com/v/2stJxmMvYzw&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1

Junk? Vizios were junk.
Most plasmas are operating at 60hz...the LCDs at 120 just help smooth fast moving images. I don't even realize its being used anymore.
alien.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

http://www.youtube.com/v/2stJxmMvYzw&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1http://www.youtube.com/v/2stJxmMvYzw&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1

Junk? Vizios were junk.
alien.gif

indifferent.gif
. Need I give you a lesson?

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Junk? Vizios were junk.
alien.gif

Exactly. Could someone link me to where plasmas run at 60hz? It's the closest thing to the last standard, the CRT.

Exactly. Could someone link me to where plasmas run at 60hz? It's the closest thing to the last standard, the CRT.

http://www.firstglimpsema...0609%2F61f09%2F61f09.asp

Don't get me wrong I prefer plasma, but it's physically slower. The overall refresh rate is actually 60hz. It would have to have a 2400hz sub-drivefield to equal the refresh rate of a 240hz LCD. 1200hz sub-drive to equal a 120hz.

I'm sure that 60hz plasma (600hz subdrive) is better thana 60hz LCD, but to think it'll be genuinly smoother than a panel refreshing at 2x or 4x therate is just dumb. The only thing that says to me is that LCD's with poor motion either are old clunkers that aren't 120hz+ or they have poorprocessing.

Again, I personally prefer deeper blacks, but the 600hz claim people make for plasmas is false. It's really 60hzx10 segments. It's assinine that theymarket them as 600hz since it's incredibly misleading. If you have 10 parts at 60hz, the display is still at 60hz, not 600hz. Just like 8 parts at 60hz is60hz not 480hz (the older plasmas had 8 sections etc...). Sure it might have smoother transitions between individual segments, but don't kid yourself intothinking they are refreshing at anything faster than 60hz.

Don't get me wrong I prefer plasma, but it's physically slower. The overall refresh rate is actually 60hz. It would have to have a 2400hz sub-drive field to equal the refresh rate of a 240hz LCD. 1200hz sub-drive to equal a 120hz.

I'm sure that 60hz plasma (600hz subdrive) is better thana 60hz LCD, but to think it'll be genuinly smoother than a panel refreshing at 2x or 4x the rate is just dumb. The only thing that says to me is that LCD's with poor motion either are old clunkers that aren't 120hz+ or they have poor processing.

Again, I personally prefer deeper blacks, but the 600hz claim people make for plasmas is false. It's really 60hzx10 segments. It's assinine that they market them as 600hz since it's incredibly misleading. If you have 10 parts at 60hz, the display is still at 60hz, not 600hz. Just like 8 parts at 60hz is 60hz not 480hz (the older plasmas had 8 sections etc...). Sure it might have smoother transitions between individual segments, but don't kid yourself into thinking they are refreshing at anything faster than 60hz.

Well damn. Good info. I still don't like the image the feature gives off.

Don't get me wrong I prefer plasma, but it's physically slower. The overall refresh rate is actually 60hz. It would have to have a 2400hz sub-drive field to equal the refresh rate of a 240hz LCD. 1200hz sub-drive to equal a 120hz.

I'm sure that 60hz plasma (600hz subdrive) is better thana 60hz LCD, but to think it'll be genuinly smoother than a panel refreshing at 2x or 4x the rate is just dumb. The only thing that says to me is that LCD's with poor motion either are old clunkers that aren't 120hz+ or they have poor processing.

Again, I personally prefer deeper blacks, but the 600hz claim people make for plasmas is false. It's really 60hzx10 segments. It's assinine that they market them as 600hz since it's incredibly misleading. If you have 10 parts at 60hz, the display is still at 60hz, not 600hz. Just like 8 parts at 60hz is 60hz not 480hz (the older plasmas had 8 sections etc...). Sure it might have smoother transitions between individual segments, but don't kid yourself into thinking they are refreshing at anything faster than 60hz.

After awhile you get used to it. Plasmas give me wood and if I can get a Kuro for under 2k as a xmas gift to myself...the samsung will come offthe wall.

First off, I agree that plasma's putting that 600 Hz number in their specs is misleading. Plasma at least for now will be compared directlyto LCD, and when you want to compare something, you need something to compare, even if they are not the same thing (i.e. Hz number, contrast ratio, etc.). That's the only reason I can think right now that the plasma people would want to include that 600 Hz number since 600 > 120, 240 right?.

But in reality, that 600 Hz plasma subfield drive has nothing to do with the refresh rate of LCD's. Probably shouldn't even be mentioned in the samesentence. If you want to compare the compare the refresh rate of both, LCD is better. But the subfield drive hz number is what sets plasma apart from LCD. Itrefers to the number of times the dots (pixels) on a plasma panel are flashed per second (600), which is much faster than any LCD's response time,resulting in less motion blur and jitter. So due to the different technology, yes, a 60 Hz plasma can really be smoother than a ___ Hz LCD and its not becausethe LCD isn't 120+ Hz or has poor processing.

LCD's and plasma's both have their pros and cons, just more a personal preference as to which is better.

After awhile you get used to it. Plasmas give me wood and if I can get a Kuro for under 2k as a xmas gift to myself...the samsung will come off the wall.

Check Sam's Club or Costco. I saw a 50" clearanced for $1200 this past weekend when I was there.
eek.gif

Copped a PS3 and a 720p/1080i ready HDTV yesterday
Any settings I can use to get the best out of it?
Copped an HDMI already btw

Can someone tell me... if I have a 120hz set... should the output on my Bluray player be said to 60hz or 24p

Originally Posted by bonafide125

What do you guys think about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/si...uct&id=1218091190882
The best buy around my way has it on sale for 450.

You guys think I should go for another brand or am i getting a pretty good price?
if it suits you, I'd get it. you're not gonna really notice 720 to 1080i/p with a 32. If you can find a samsung for the same price...gowith the samsung.

Originally Posted by That Kid Daniel

Looking into getting a blu-ray player. What's the best one? or should I just go ahead and get a PS3 slim?
Get the slim. Movies plus games.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

Can someone tell me... if I have a 120hz set... should the output on my Bluray player be said to 60hz or 24p
Most, if not all, 1080p Blu-rays (film-based material) are 24hz. So they're are playing at a native frame rate of 24 a second.

When you set your player to output at 60hz, which is not divisible by 24, it has to do this extra thing called 2-3-2 pulldown. Basically, the odd frames are multiplied by two and the even ones are multiplied by three in order to fit 60hz (36+24=60). What this also does iscreate an artificial simulated frame that's basically a mish-mash between the odd and even frames. So what you're pretty much doing is adding anunnecessary process that is messing up the flow and quality of the video signal.

The 120hz and 240hz TVs now have a feature to correct this. When they detect an incoming signal that's 24hz converted to 60hz, they correct it by doing areverse 2-3-2 pulldown in a best attempt to restore the signal to its original frame rate. I'm not sure what other brands call this feature, but Sony callstheirs cinemotion. This is a great feature, but it's another unnecessary process if you just set your player tooutput at 24hz in the first place.

The main thing is, you should let your player output 24hz if your tv supports it, so the movie can play at its natural frame rate without any extra processingor alteration. On a 120hz tv, it will play at a natural flow of 5-5-5, or on a 240hz set, 10-10-10.

I need some advice on buying a new TV. I've been in the market for a samsung LED for a while. I went to go look at the 8000 series today and it the picturewas pretty awesome. I'm just wondering if they are worth the price tag?

Originally Posted by BgL2687

I need some advice on buying a new TV. I've been in the market for a samsung LED for a while. I went to go look at the 8000 series today and it the picture was pretty awesome. I'm just wondering if they are worth the price tag?
Hmmm personally I'd wait, but you can look them up on Youtube to see some reviews.

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by BgL2687

I need some advice on buying a new TV. I've been in the market for a samsung LED for a while. I went to go look at the 8000 series today and it the picture was pretty awesome. I'm just wondering if they are worth the price tag?
Hmmm personally I'd wait, but you can look them up on Youtube to see some reviews.
I read avs forums and the reviews were pretty good for the 6000,7000, and 8000. I just don't know if its worth the price tag because I canget a same sized LCD for a few hundred bucks cheaper. Also is there a big difference between 120hz and 240 hz? Would I be able to see the difference?

just bought a samsung led 46" 8000 series. I'm happy with it although I wanted a 55", but my lady said it was too big for the bedroom. When thenew backlit led TVs are released and fall in price I'll switch, but this one will do for this football season. Can anyone recommend me a good soundbar? Iwould buy a full on surround sound, but I don't want wires everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom