Have we replaced God with Celebs?

I agree with the OP's theory. I've noticed things of this nature in the media. People do tend to hold celebs at a higher regard then they're own religious beliefs, and from what i guess, it comes from the disconnect of not having a strong upbringing in a religious setting and spending a majority of time in front of the television. Im not gonna sit and act like i grew up in the church either but i dont have the wool over my eyes. Sadly i feel that our generation and the generation coming up are growing up in a society that revolves around media and entertainment, which intern glorifies celebrities and materialism. Its just a sign of the times unfortunately.

I definetly think that there is a rise is athiesm and I feel that it is becoming te new "cool". Most cases of someone being/becoming athiest comes from a major devestaing event in ones life and one claims to have lost faith in God from that point forward. To me its just a lack of the mental strength of that person that leads them to believe that God has abandoned them and they act of by no longer believing. Thats definitely not the case for everyone, but its what i mainly see. My only reply/advice to that is to dig deeper into religion and your own personal faith. I dont necessarily think that you have to believe what I believe, but i think its asinine to not believe in any higher power.

Do you know what "celebrity" means bruh :lol:
No..like seriously I don't. I can give you a dictionary definition, but please provide me with an actual definition, cuz I don't know what seperates someone who made a bunch of money and movies and is still reletivley unknown, Mel Brooks for example, vs. someone who has done nothing and is talked about every day i.e Kim K. And yes, Mel had "celebrity" status for a bit, that would be celebrity is a temporal idea.

btw This is why I heart NT. Some people get what I'm saying, others it goes over heads, either way, I love the conversation and banter.

A celebrity is a famous person. A well known person.

Mel Brooks? Really? :lol:

Mel Brooks isn't widely talked about now. He's still a celebrity based on things he has done that people remember and still see today.

Its about being recognized (whether it be your image or your work).

I disag

Mel Brooks isn't widely talked about now. He's still a celebrity based on things he has done that people remember and still see today.

I disagree. That's a loose butthole definition. Mel walks into a room, only those in the know, know. Kanye walks in, place will go ham. Is Mel as famous as Kanye? Hell is he as famous Kim k? That's using a synonym in a definition. Mel Brooke's isn't generally recognized by most ppl, if u say his works maybe, but even then it's iffy.

Both are terms we use as conventions, but never analyze.

Further, is Dennis Rader a celebrity? What about Richard Grissom?

Last edited:
I feel you OP. Just look at the Justin Bieber worship worldwide by these teenage girls on twitter. It's disgusting. I know what you're saying, don't worry about the clowns on here.

OP, I just want to know how you convinced yourself that celebrity worship is anywhere near new. You said just a few years ago celebrities were just celebrities right?

How do you explain this then?

Celebrities have BEEN "Gods" B

I feel you OP. Just look at the Justin Bieber worship worldwide by these teenage girls on twitter. It's disgusting. I know what you're saying, don't worry about the clowns on here.
How is that any difference from Michael Jackson being worship 20+ years ago by billions of people.

or the beatles 50+ years ago

and so on ....

COME ON NOW!

Last edited:
You do realize that most religious figures were just celebrities in their day and were then promoted to deity status after they died because they were so popular, right?

Example: Jesus, any of the saints, Moses, the Pharaohs, Hercules, Gilgamesh, the list goes on and on.

The ancient Egyptian dynasties ran for somewhere around 20,000 years. If they were destroyed because they didn't worship the Judeao-Christian god, then why were they able to thrive and dominate for longer than any other culture in the history of planet Earth? When was the point where worshipping the wrong thing got them into trouble?

Celebrity worship is nothing new. People not believing in religion is nothing new. It's just that now people are way more aware of other people's realities, and for some people this availability of perspective is scary, as some of it contradicts with their own beliefs. This leads to a fight or flight reaction in which you either accept a new truth, reject it as wrong, or decide you don't care either way.

Last edited:
Nothing new dude. Seriously. Bieber isn't the first.

Girls threw their drawls on the stage for Markie Mark man. I hate when yall act like stuff is just starting to fit your "end of times" ideas.

I disag

I disagree. That's a loose butthole definition. Mel walks into a room, only those in the know, know. Kanye walks in, place will go ham. Is Mel as famous as Kanye? Hell is he as famous Kim k? That's using a synonym in a definition. Mel Brooke's isn't generally recognized by most ppl, if u say his works maybe, but even then it's iffy.

Both are terms we use as conventions, but never analyze.

Loose butthole :lol: :lol:

Man I'll agree to disagree. We clearly have different ideas about this subjective term *shrug*

laugh.gif
 at the idea of God being replaced by celebs.  Go to the middle of any state not bordered by water and you'll find enough Bible-thumping to last you a life time.

bbcallamerican is right people treated MJ and others like gods way before your beibers this is nothing new. Rock stars used to be called gods all the time.

Nothing new dude. Seriously. Bieber isn't the first.

Girls threw their drawls on the stage for Markie Mark man. I hate when yall act like stuff is just starting to fit your "end of times" ideas.

No human being has been more popular in my lifetime than Michael Jackson was in 1984.

No human being has been more popular in my lifetime than Michael Jackson was in 1984.
I'm sorry but you are sadly mistaken!

The pope was and is the most popular human being in any of our lifetimes!

Just saying ....

Last edited:
Nah bruh.

Micheal Jackson's had the Arab world on lock also.

MJ was way more popular than the pope.

At one point the Beatles were more popular to young people than Jesus Christ, and they almost got their careers ended when they acknowledged it. Same as with...well you know what 2 celebs fit that mold nowadays.

Nah Brah 

There are around 2.3 billion Christians in the world.

MJ was popular with millions of fan, but the pope have this one.

The beatles were more popular to the youth than Jesus, but not more popular than Jesus by a long shot.

Nah Brah 

There are around 2.3 billion Christians in the world.

MJ was popular with millions of fan, but the pope have this one.

The beatles were more popular to the youth than Jesus, but not more popular than Jesus by a long shot.
Not saying who was more "popular" but saying there's 2.3 billion christians mean absolutely nothing.

Plenty of those christians can't even tell you who the Pope is 
laugh.gif
.  Let alone say they're a "fan" of him.  

Last edited:
How do we define "popular?"

A. How many people KNOW you

B. How many people LIKE you.

A lot of those "billions" of Christians know the Pope but don't give two damns about him.

Why aren't you saying MJ had BILLIONS of fans.

2.3 billion Christians? I bet you half were MJ fans. That's 1.15 billion. Islam accounts for 1.6 billion people. Half of those were fans of MJ. So that adds to about 2 billion even. Start counting all the other religions in this world and MJ catches up very quickly.

I stand by my statement. How many of you similacs were even alive in 84?:lol: And how many of you were old enough to remember any of it? Let me rephrase it. There has never been a celebrity more popular than MJ was in 84.

so you are saying the entire nation of islam was rocking to MJ? 

no you are right - I did say billions and I forgot to take into account China. 

So with that said, I think they are neck to neck.

I doubt that the entire Nation of Islam was rocking to MJ though!

Last edited:
so you are saying the entire nation of islam was rocking to MJ? 

no you are right - I did say billions and I forgot to take into account China. 

So with that said, I think they are neck to neck.

I doubt that the entire Nation of Islam was rocking to MJ though!

1. I said HALF of Muslims, not all.

2. Yea I bet you the entire Nation of Islam was rocking to MJ, being as how they are made up predominantly of African Americans.

3. "Neck and neck" sounds a lot like "I refuse to admit that MJ could have been more popular than the pope"

Back
Top Bottom