GUITAR SCHOOL 101: Electric-Acoustic-Amps-Pics-Prices-ect.

Ibanez all the way.

I had a Kramer Vanguard sold it now I'm stuck with a junker Squier and a First Act
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

that Monterey strat legit? how much you pay? it's gorgeous.

If I were you, I would go with an electric to start off. I started with the acoustic, but I hit a wall once I learned certain things. You can only do so much on the acoustic, and the electric is alot easier to learn because the strings are easier to play in a sense. Get 4-5 formal lessons with the money you save. Pick up a 2-350$ strat and you're good to go.

yo Jon, let's get an NT shout out in one of your songs, whaddya say?
wink.gif

im pretty sure it's a custom peice those go for a ton of cash if not you are def the man for having that guitar haha either way its fantastiche did a great job whoever did it here's john mayer's version

DSC_0213.JPG

if you want lessons hit me up ...
Regardless of what anyone says unless you're serious about playing music, and see yourself as a musician/ future guitarist
Start out by playing either easy songs or beginner versions of whatever rock songs you like .... then practice playing along with the music
After a couple of months of doing that not only should it keep you interested but most likely you would learn basic chord shapes
From there you should know if you want to get a bit more serious and if you do get a teacher, even if it's just for a couple of lessons unless you have afriend to help show you the way

As far as guitars if you're into some of the newer indie stuff, then I would say go acoustic, since you wouldn't sound exactly like them until youstart looking into effects
But if you're into metal, hard rock or pop-punk/emo then get an electric and since you're into Strats ......
Go to your local Guitar Center and try out the Mexican Strats, they're the lower quality strats kind of like the beginners of strats ....try them out andsee if you like them
Now here's the tricky part if you have a friend that plays guitar, I would check out craigslist and maybe ebay, there's also ultimate guitar andharmony-central for a used one
they usually cost the same amount as a new squire strat and you usually could get a good deal on one and a beginner amp ......
Otherwise get a squire strat pack ........ not a bullet or affinity .. but the regular original squire strat pack since they sound just like the mex-strats andlater on if you get serious you could always do different upgrades too them

and crank didnt i give u a bunch of info on guitars in another guitar thread ? lol

I actually started with a simple 4 string tenor ukulele. Ukuleles require much less strength and toughness-of-fingers than a guitar. Also the ukulele only hasfour strings and will be easier in helping you learn how to strum, pick, and chord. It's because these reasons that guitar greats such as Hendrix, Clapton,Townshend, George Harrison, etc. all started out on the Uke.

Originally Posted by John Ohh

If I were you, I would go with an electric to start off. I started with the acoustic, but I hit a wall once I learned certain tthings. You can only do so much on the acoustic, and the electric is alot easier to learn because the strings are easier to play in a sense.

I'd agree. The electric will be a little bit more expensive to get started with than the cheepest possible acoustic guitar, but the initial cost differenceis really minimal and an entry level electric will (likely) be much less expensive than an equivalent quality acoustic. But the single biggest reason to goelectric right off the bat is the ease of playing. In my totally biased and unscientific polling of people I know who have learned to play or attempted tolearn to play guitar, most people I know who started playing with electrics actually learned how to play. Most people I know who started to learn on acousticsgave up after only learning a few chords.

But when it's all said and done, advice like "start with a ukulele", "start with an acoustic" or "cop an Ibanez " can behelpful, but IMO the ONLY advice worth following is "do whatever keeps you playing - at least at that point, you are still in the game." So ifyou'd rather start with an Uke, acoustic Martin, or an electric stratocaster - go for it. Just do what makes you want to keep playing - your technique willsort itself out over time.

Originally Posted by DocsBack

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

Didn't know Ed Hardy made guitars
Pretty sure that's a copy of the guitar Jimi had at the Monterey Pop Festival.

Yeah, this is a replica of the strat the Hendrix played and then burned on stage at the Monterey Pop Festival in '67.
hendrixatmonterey.gif

HENDRIXBURN.gif

In the '97 the Fender custom shop released a limited 210 copies of this guitar. The picture above with J. Mayer is one of those. I bided on one on ebay afew years ago but was outbided; it ended up selling for just under $20k.
smh.gif
So I did the next best thing, built my own and had it painted by a professional.
laugh.gif

Oh and Hip-hop & stringed intrustments aren't mutually exclusive.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Roots - You Got Me (Uke Cover)

JM Alife Session

Brown Sugar - D'angelo (Guitar jam)

[h1]Fender Standard Stratocaster Left-Handed ElectricGuitar[/h1]
578167.jpg

[h1]$499.99[/h1]

^ is this good? is that the going rate for these, anything about left handed guitars I should know about?

didn't know you were a lefty
pimp.gif
....at that price it's the made inmexico model.... hit up craigslist and harmony central ...... if you're lucky you could find a used one for 250 ..... I know there were a couple sellingfor that price at the end of the summer over here .. but most likely they'll be around 300 .... i have the same one but it's a squier

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

pimp.gif
....at that price it's the made in mexico model.... hit up craigslist and harmony central ...... if you're lucky you could find a used one for 250 ..... I know there were a couple selling for that price at the end of the summer over here .. but most likely they'll be around 300 .... i have the same one but it's a squier
thanx for that tip, an american version would add how many more bills?
is the mexican version lower in quality?

and yea lefty
alien.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

pimp.gif
....at that price it's the made in mexico model.... hit up craigslist and harmony central ...... if you're lucky you could find a used one for 250 ..... I know there were a couple selling for that price at the end of the summer over here .. but most likely they'll be around 300 .... i have the same one but it's a squier

and yea lefty
alien.gif
laugh.gif
If you're just starting out, don't waste your money on an american strat. I have a Fender Squire Series Strat from 96 (mexican fenderbody/neck with squier electronics) that plays better than some american strats. You can pick one up for less than $200 these days. You can always swap pickupsand hardware down the road.

Craigslist is definitely your friend in this case.

And BTW - if you string a right handed strat backwards, you get a slightly different tone. Much clearer on low strings.

yeah you can say it's the lower quality of strats ..... either way outside of pros ..... most people start out with a MIM strat or a squier (as far as liveplaying/ touring etc) ....... that's y if you could get your hands on an original squier strat you should get it, since as far as tonality there isn'tany difference to a MIM strat

Originally Posted by biggatree

Originally Posted by Crank Lucas

pimp.gif

and yea lefty
alien.gif
laugh.gif
If you're just starting out, don't waste your money on an american strat. I have a Fender Squire Series Strat from 96 (mexican fender body/neck with squier electronics) that plays better than some american strats. You can pick one up for less than $200 these days. You can always swap pickups and hardware down the road.

Craigslist is definitely your friend in this case.

And BTW - if you string a right handed strat backwards, you get a slightly different tone. Much clearer on low strings.
how does it hold it's tuning though ..... I've always wanted to get a righty MIM and switch the bridge, upgrade the pups ........ butright now funds is kinda low
tired.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Save the $400 and buy a cheap acoustic to learn how to play. It wouldn't be wise to buy a great guitar for your first guitar since most people get tired of it and stop trying.
This is what I'm doing. Gonna try it out w/ something less than a hundred bucks.

I have a musical background so the "bad sound" wont reallt deter me I dont think. I know what it's like to suck at an instrument in thebeginning but then become really good at it later on. Not sure if that makes a difference in guitar. I'm happy to hear it's an easy instrument toplay though.

The guitar is definitely one of the easiest instruments to play but also one of the hardest to master. I would suggest learning on an acoustic guitar beforetrying to get your John Mayer on as an understanding of chord shapes can do wonders for you when you switch to the electric realm. If you really want to get anelectric guitar though...a Stratocaster or Telecaster are definitely a good place to start as both are pretty versatile tone wise. The real kicker though isthe amp, because if you don't have a decent amp then you won't get a decent sound. If I were you I'd consider pumping in the extra dollars to get aTube Amp or even a Valve Amp. Eh...I could talk forever about this stuff forever...

BTW... American Strat (great build with great sounding pick ups!), Japanese (great build and solid pick ups...the necks are typically faster or easier to playon.), Mexican (Hit or miss guitars...out of usually 20 you can find a real gem).

Squier Vibe guitars are a good buy. The picks up are pretty bad but the overall build is usually excellent.

My gear: Fender Strat w/ Custom Shop Pick Ups (MIJ 89) -> Line6 M13 -> Fender Deville 410 & Taylor 614CE

Hit me up for more if you got questions.

^^ I went with that package at first. The strat broke. The guitar jack was all messed up. I had the Guitar Center insurance. They gave me a full refund AND letme keep the entire original package. Great great warranty deal. So I took the check and got a squire telecaster and just used the amp I had from the starterpack. GET THAT WARRANTY.

go electric. and dont buy a cheap one. i mean, you dont need to go out and buy a $800 guitar, but something durable that sounds good. also, deciding what ampto buy is also a question you want to ask yourself. but thats if your interested in going with the electric route. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom