GUITAR SCHOOL 101: Electric-Acoustic-Amps-Pics-Prices-ect.

Wassup, looking to cop a guitar, got about 400-500 aside for a acoustic or electric, I need to be schooled before I commit to a purchase.
Like whats the difference in strats? the american, mexican, japanese version, what seperates them, and how is the strat at best buy for 100 bucks different andwhy some are expensive?
2.Is it easier to go acoustic first for a beginner
3.info on amps? distortions?

feel free to post your guitar/bass, share info and knowledge

class is now in session

Save the $400 and buy a cheap acoustic to learn how to play. It wouldn't be wise to buy a great guitar for your first guitar since most people get tired ofit and stop trying.

$400-$500?
just get a >$200 acoustic guitar and learn yourself...look up the chords online and learn scales
if you're gonna use pics, learn them early...i hate using pics since I never properly learned
mmm...that's about it...once you get better, use the money to buy a better guitar (acoustic or electric) and an amp if you really need one...

strats? are u talking about the style of guitar like the fender stratocastor (sp?)? It's just a style of electric guitar if that's what you mean...andimo, acoustic is harder to play
remember, don't give up if you're starting to feel pain

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Save the $400 and buy a cheap acoustic to learn how to play. It wouldn't be wise to buy a great guitar for your first guitar since most people get tired of it and stop trying.
agreed.

9/10 people wont stick with it long enough for the quality of guitar to matter. get a cheap used one and save the money to spend on some lessons so you havean idea of what you should be learning.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Save the $400 and buy a cheap acoustic to learn how to play. It wouldn't be wise to buy a great guitar for your first guitar since most people get tired of it and stop trying.
agreed.

9/10 people wont stick with it long enough for the quality of guitar to matter. get a cheap used one and save the money to spend on some lessons so you have an idea of what you should be learning.
Sadly I'm one of those 9 people, but I'm glad I only bought a used Yamaha for $80 off Ebay. I mess around with it every once in a while,but never really have the time to be disciplined enough to learn.

Originally Posted by Wordy Dirts

Few quick pics of my ladies, I'll post more when I get home.
watching lost ?
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by CryingFreemancoa

Didn't know Ed Hardy made guitars
Pretty sure that's a copy of the guitar Jimi had at the Monterey Pop Festival. And it's freakin' sweet.

Buy an acoustic, learn on an acoustic. it's better practice for your hand strength I think, and you don't need an amp when you play by yourself. Lookinto a Takamine or something in the $100-$200 range.

If we're gonna share some pics I may take a few in a little bit after a jam session.

My Mockingbird Special... I named her Yang.

Get a Squire by Fender starter set, I'm not sure how much they run now but it can't be more than 3 bills. Comes with a Squire Stratocaster replica, astrap, pics, a cable, amp, and carrying case. That's what I started off with. It's gonna take a while ofr your fingers to get callus enough to where itwon't bother you much anymore.

MY GUITAR LEARNING EXPERIENCE (Lazy NT readers need not read and can forget about cliffnotes)
I started when I was in about 7th grade, but I was horrible. (I rarely even touched the thing as it was difficult at first.) Same story for years, until I gotan Acrylic see through mockingbird freshman year, and started learning power chords and a few riffs. Sold that @!%$% like an idiot during my"Hip-Hop" stage, and regretted it since. Just a few months ago I got my new Mockingbird, and I'm finally learning how to play since I havenothing else to do. Seriously, before I got the new one, I knew nothing but powerchords, and now I can shred a little and know a couple solos since I havenothing to do. I never had lessons though... I learned everything by myself through tabs whicH I am quite proud of.

Oh... and I use Boss pedals. Currently rockin' with the Metal Zone (Wicked distortion, but most old heads prefer the OG distortion)

and of course the PH-3 Phase Shifter

What type of music are you looking to play anyways?

BTW, You were gonna pick up skating last year if I recall correctly OP... Did that work out? Playing DECENT guitar is easier than learning how to skate IMO.

Me playing bass
16658_206819350048_651740048_4326308_637213_n.jpg

Bought bass & amp from friend of a friend for $45 earlier in the school. He hadn't played it in a couple years and it was collecting dust. Going to tryto practice alot during xmas break

Good to see that there are some players here on NT. I've been learning for about 8 or so months now I think. Lately I've been playing a little morethan usual. I started out with an electric because it was more of the music I wanted to play. I have an affinity series telecaster. A lot of people say startwith acoustic because it will help you build finger strength. Regardless, check out guitarjamz.com/Marty Schwartz youtube channel along with Justin Sandercoeon youtube and Justinguitar.com. A lot of great FREE lessons, especially on justinguitar because it's literally in order, a bunch of video lessons.

Ickus, what you've learned from just tabs is pretty impressive. Your sound is kind of heavy for my taste but I like it. Props.

I've learned to play songs, some solos off tabs and videos but I realized I started at the wrong place and am kind of going back to working on my rhythmand chords. Good luck.

Honestly, I wanna learn how to play also. I have a few questions.

How hard is it to play the guitar?
Why should I start on acoustic before I go to electric?
How hard is it to read sheet music?
How long will it take to get good at it?

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

How hard is it to play the guitar?
Why should I start on acoustic before I go to electric?
How hard is it to read sheet music?
How long will it take to get good at it?

1. One of the easier instruments if you're just looking to play chords or tabs.
2. To get a feel for the instrument and how it works. If you start on electric, your sound will be naturally horrendous and you'll probably quit.
3. Very, very hard if you don't have any other musical experience. I'd learn a little piano first if you're trying to read sheet music.
4. You will be strumming chords in probably a week or two, which can get you playing a lot of different songs... finger-picking (individual notes) might takeyou 6 mo - 1 year to really get decent at.

If I were you, I would go with an electric to start off. I started with the acoustic, but I hit a wall once I learned certain things. You can only do so muchon the acoustic, and the electric is alot easier to learn because the strings are easier to play in a sense. Get 4-5 formal lessons with the money you save.Pick up a 2-350$ strat and you're good to go.

that Monterey strat legit? how much you pay? it's gorgeous.

If I were you, I would go with an electric to start off. I started with the acoustic, but I hit a wall once I learned certain things. You can only do so much on the acoustic, and the electric is alot easier to learn because the strings are easier to play in a sense. Get 4-5 formal lessons with the money you save. Pick up a 2-350$ strat and you're good to go.

yo Jon, let's get an NT shout out in one of your songs, whaddya say?
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom