Goldman sachs dudes= ruthless ballers (Vol. birdman who??)

Originally Posted by jordan supreme

My finance professor worked at Goldman for 28 years before teaching

and says some funny stuff like this just to let you know he's still got that paper...

Really cool guy though, definitely not one of these "soul-less" or "corrupt crooks" like some of you are saying...

He takes the time to buy the whole class ice cream after nearly every lecture
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Police officers are just as funny.

One summer when I was 13, my cop neighbor asked me to scorekeep for his police league softball games. It was like a non-stop riot. Even the women were going hard.

Most professions have this type of humor.

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

It has some occasional hilarious tweets, but I'm pretty confident it's not real.

Exactly, just like nearly every Internet joke claiming to be "just things I've heard".

it's fake.. i know many, many people at Goldman and though it sells to give off the impression, not everyone there is a cold %+%#%##++

For anyone who is asking about how Goldman Sachs and players caused the economy crash of 2008, I encourage you to read the book The Big Short by Michael Lewis.

You can easily find the ebook online to download for free.

Also, not to be a debbie downer, but let's face it - the overwhelming majority of us won't be able to "work hard enough to be about that life." I don't think you guys realize the earning potential of these investment bankers. There is a difference between living comfortably and living wealthy like these guys do. I'm not saying that people here won't be successful but take a moment to think about that statement.

Originally Posted by vkhoj

For anyone who is asking about how Goldman Sachs and players caused the economy crash of 2008, I encourage you to read the book The Big Short by Michael Lewis.

Also, not to be a debbie downer, but let's face it - the overwhelming majority of us won't be able to "work hard enough to be about that life." I don't think you guys realize the earning potential of these investment bankers. There is a difference between living comfortably and living wealthy like these guys do. I'm not saying that people here won't be successful but take a moment to think about that statement.
A mid level position at Goldman pays what 500K? These tweets are exaggerated and it's the guys at the top who make that type of paper. A lot of them came from the worst neighborhoods and worked their way up. We aren't talking about the Rothschilds. *Cam'ron voice* What are you saying?

A few of these made me chuckle, rich or well off people have going to have their ignorant comments and attitudes just as well as any poor or uneducated person, it's just unfortunate that our most or "claimed" to be most educated people are our most ignorant.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

A mid level position at Goldman pays what 500K? These tweets are exaggerated and it's the guys at the top who make that type of paper. A lot of them came from the worst neighborhoods and worked their way up. We aren't talking about the Rothschilds. *Cam'ron voice* What are you saying?
You're right, analysts don't get paid much, and associates are only a step above - Managing Director and above is ideal. However, I don't think you're taking into account the lateral movement from banking into other financial sectors. People put in their two or three years, get their MBA if necessary, and either stay in banking or move into more lucrative fields - private equity, hedge funds, venture capital etc. Let's not forget it's not the salary where bankers make their money - it's in their bonuses. 
Are you saying I'm wrong though? What other jobs will allow people to make that kind of money starting in your 20's? Sure there are people who make it big by running a "business" but those people are few and far in between. They're the exception not the rule. What other job has the infrastructure to pay this well? I'm looking at this strictly from a monetary standpoint - the routine 80-100 workweeks is altogether something else. 

I'm going to reiterate, I'm not trying to put anyone down I'm just trying to put some perspective into this thread.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

You're right, analysts don't get paid much, and associates are only a step above - Managing Director and above is ideal. However, I don't think you're taking into account the lateral movement from banking into other financial sectors. People put in their two or three years, get their MBA if necessary, and either stay in banking or move into more lucrative fields - private equity, hedge funds, venture capital etc. Let's not forget it's not the salary where bankers make their money - it's in their bonuses. 
Are you saying I'm wrong though? What other jobs will allow people to make that kind of money starting in your 20's? Sure there are people who make it big by running a "business" but those people are few and far in between. They're the exception not the rule. What other job has the infrastructure to pay this well? I'm looking at this strictly from a monetary standpoint - the routine 80-100 workweeks is altogether something else. 

I'm going to reiterate, I'm not trying to put anyone down I'm just trying to put some perspective into this thread.
There's individual traders who make 7 figures a year and can do it well past retirement age. It's not as rare as you might think.

I read a quote somewhere a very long time ago to the tune of "15,000 people that work for Microsoft are millionaires, but there is only 8,xxx professional athletes in the U.S."
I'm pretty sure the odds of becoming a player at GS are better. Hoop dreams 
30t6p3b.gif

You failed to recognize the role lenders played into the whole crisis with No-Doc and Alt-A mortgages and while GS may have been creating these synthetic CDO's with BBB bonds, you're overlooking the credit rating agencies who rated 80% of them as AAA and then the insurance companies, i.e. AIG, who overlooked it and automatically assumed they were riskless without doing their due diligence.

Originally Posted by Storm2006

You failed to recognize the role lenders played into the whole crisis with No-Doc and Alt-A mortgages and while GS may have been creating these synthetic CDO's with BBB bonds, you're overlooking the credit rating agencies who rated 80% of them as AAA and then the insurance companies, i.e. AIG, who overlooked it and automatically assumed they were riskless without doing their due diligence.
ALL of the parties knew what they were doing. All equally bad, just look how they Banks handled the bailouts....

$@%%$! is bragging about ice cream after their lectures when its probably their tax money dude is spending...

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Originally Posted by Storm2006

ALL of the parties knew what they were doing. All equally bad, just look how they Banks handled the bailouts....

$@%%$! is bragging about ice cream after their lectures when its probably their tax money dude is spending...
I believe all of the bailout money has been paid off, with interest. He's probably spending all of that nice bonus money he got 
grin.gif

I know it's just the coolest thing to *!%% on Goldman Sachs at the moment.

But almost every thing posted on page 1 was poor. I chuckled at like three which would be fine if the guy wasn't even slightly pretending to be real?

Haven't read the thread but I bet most are eating it.

edit:

hell this is by far the most authentic/believable thing there
#1: If you can only be good at one thing, be good at lying… because if you’re good at lying, you’re good at everything.

Yea I see that now. I guess it's just not funny to me. I've seen NT make crack better jokes.

As a black man, i found this article hilarious. I am definetly not about that life

my favorite is "Blacking out is just your brain clearing its browser history.'

I just used it as my facebook status.

Yep these comments sound about right...I worked and went to college with these kind of guys

I worked at Morgan Stanley between 2003-2005 and had buddies that worked at Goldman and Merrill. Lets just say its not all its cracked up to be. The hours were terrible and life was miserable ( I don't like excel spreadsheets) . The only joy some of these people have is getting drunk on weekends ( i dont drink) and spending money on nice work cloths. I got up at 5am and worked till about 6pm. I would get bored at work and watch Maria Bartiromo on CNBC all day LOL. The stock trading floor was probably the place to be but most of my friends that worked there have since been laid off since. It is nice making money but it would be even better making money doing something you enjoy. The best thing I got from my job at Morgan was a burberry sweater, LV belt, and an Ipod 
laugh.gif
That 3rd gen Ipod is still the best in my opinion.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

What's with the "as a black man" stuff?
laugh.gif
cause we da minority son
i like to consider myself a jewish trustfund kid trapped in an incredibly goodlooking black mans body...
eyes.gif

#1: A guy came up to me at the gym and asked me what event I was training so hard for. Life, %#!%!@#@*%*+.

#1: If you can only be good at one thing, be good at lying… because if you’re good at lying, you’re good at everything.

BAWSE

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom