Goin to NYC for the first time this weekend!

I see these "help me plan my Vegas trip" kind of posts, so help me out here!  I got a weekend in NYC, never been there before.  What are the good spots for sightseeing?  How about china town for the fake stuff on the streets?  Flight club?  Good restaurants, clothing stores??  Thx!

Since you're only here for the weekend you won't be doing much sightseeing unless you dedicate an entire day to it. I can't recommend a spot if I don't know what interests you. The Empire State Building might be cool to one tourist but crappy to another.

Pass on Flight Club. By far the most overrated thing to experience as someone who's into sneakers. If you're not buying anything don't waste the time going down there.

Clothing stores. What are your tastes? Streetwear? high end?

In Chinatown you wont see the fake stuff just laid out. We went and my mom was looking for a Coach purse, this lady pushed on the wall and it opened and told her to go back there and look at them
laugh.gif
looked mad sketch

Soho is where I went for shopping but really there's a H&M on every block seems like.
Juniors in Times Square is really good too, I had a lobster roll
pimp.gif

Went to the Wax museum in Times Square as well. and went to the Met museum and saw the McQueen exhibit. Well worth it

The subway was a lot easier to get around on too than expected.

I loved NYC and if money wasn't an issue I'd move there.

If you want fake go to Canal Street.
Flight Club is a loud sneaker art gallery.
For sightseeing:
Empire State Building is good for sightseeing of course
Central Park
Museum of Natural History
Times Square

EDIT: Second thought. Just walk around and get lost. NYC is too big to not bump into someone/thing you like.

seriously take the train to 34th st and walk around. btw all the fake stuff is on 28th and broadway.

Take a tour of the city on the double decker bus. I think it cost $43. I lived in Ny for a good while and I learned so much about my city from the bus tour last summer. I made a video about it. PM if you want to see it, I do not want come off like I'm hijacking your thread by posting my video.

i just think new york is a place that's too big to just get the experience in one weekend.

i really want to live there for a year and just soak it all up.

but then again... i'm not for visiting a place just for a weekend. i wanna go somewhere and chill for a week min...

Originally Posted by NoneOfYours25

Uniqlo has changed my life -- Nice simple stuff for a good price
I'm a new yorker and i have to check this place out sometime, heard good things.
Originally Posted by PharelFor3

seriously take the train to 34th st and walk around. btw all the fake stuff is on 28th and broadway.
I work by here, and I did not know this
alien.gif
alien.gif
alien.gif

Gotta be more specific about what you're in to, but as far as cliche touristy things and iconic NYC-themed things to see and do (in manhattan) - these are the basics:

Empire State Building
Walk the High Line
South Street Seaport
Wander the Lower East Side
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
Explore Central Park
Times Square
Ferry to Statue of Liberty

A lot of shopping in SoHo (and downtown area) - Nike Sportswear 21 Mercer, Supreme, Uniqlo, Ralph Lauren, The Hundreds, DQM....every major brand pretty much. A place like Flight Club is cool to browse just for the sheer mass quantity of sneakers in the store. If you are looking for a specific shoe, hit up their web store first to see what's in stock in your size. Canal street is right below Soho.

Too many places to eat, but look up Katz's deli, Parisi Bakery, Luke's Lobster, The Standard Beer garden.

Speaking of NY I'm planning a trip soon too. Any good boufet spots to hit up that have vegetarian dishes perhaps?

Will be in NYC this weekend as well. Will be staying in Brooklyn (fortgreene/Clintonhill) how good or bad is that area? Is it safe to walk at night? Thanks

Originally Posted by ricky409

i just think new york is a place that's too big to just get the experience in one weekend.

i really want to live there for a year and just soak it all up.

but then again... i'm not for visiting a place just for a weekend. i wanna go somewhere and chill for a week min...
It took me years and multiple trips to appreciate NYC. A weekend is not going to be fulfilling. I've been there eight times over the last 12 years, and I feel like only now I know what I want to see and do. I haven't been to Times Square in years (worth going to once, and never again). I kind of do my own thing, walk around the city, discover random little places. I do the retail tour (Midtown to Upper East Side, Soho), hit a club or two with a buddy of mine in the city, and I have musician friends whose shows I catch. All my friends live in Brooklyn so a lot of my time is spent out there. I always go for about a week, as well. Still a lot left for me to explore.

Originally Posted by vick the quick

Will be in NYC this weekend as well. Will be staying in Brooklyn (fortgreene/Clintonhill) how good or bad is that area? Is it safe to walk at night? Thanks

laugh.gif

John's on Bleecker (best pizza in the city, imo....others would probably say Grimaldi's)
- There is also a lot of bars in the general area, also Washington Square Park is nearby. A little walk up and you'll hit Union Square (if you go to Union Square, Heartland Brewery for beers/food)

Pomme Frites in the East Village (french fry spot, really good with various dips to choose from)
- While you're around there, you can check out St. Marks Place

SoHo
- A lot of shopping down Broadway alone with Uniqlo, Topshop, Banana Republic, H&M, Adidas etc....explore along the other streets and you'll come across the streetwear shops such as Supreme and Bape.

5th Avenue
- Usual suspects when it comes to luxury. Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, Dior etc, also department stores such as Saks and Bergdorf. Apple Store and Niketown are also located there, as well as Central Park. Rockefeller Center as well, maybe check out Top of the Rock (which has a better view than the Empire State Building imo) http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Times Square
- Usually would say to avoid this at all costs, but since it's your first time I guess it's a standard thing to do. Nothing really special about it, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, Juniors....all those types of places to eat. Massive Toys R Us, Footlocker, Forever 21, Yankee Clubhouse are a few spots there as far as shopping goes. Obviously the Broadway shows, the wax museum and movie theaters.

Maybe plan ahead and go to the 9/11 memorial by reserving passes (free) here: http://www.911memorial.org/

Other random things:
The High Line: http://www.thehighline.org/
South Street Seaport: http://www.southstreetseaport.com/

Then of course Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. A weekend is tough to knock out seeing things, so I'd come in with a gameplan so you're not wasting much time sitting around debating on what to do.

Originally Posted by vick the quick

info here and here. you will definitely not be in NYC the same weekend as greatone632 considering he made this post 3 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom