Giving Tip for Delivery?

That is the thing. I expect them to do their job regardless of if I tip or not and I'm 100% sure the business owner would agree

If Im a nuisance or my group then yes you should tip, that is what tipping is for. If i have a large crowd then yes i would tip

IF I go somewhere and order for my self, why should I tip you when all you did was bring me my food?
i agree but it's one thing to simply do your job, and it's another to provide above and beyond service and do more then what's expected of you.    

if the server is doing what's asked of them in their job requirements but doesn't go the extra mile for a customer who's a notoriously poor tipper while treating another customer as a priority i personally don't see nothing wrong with it as long as the server isn't rude to the customer who has a track record of being a poor tipper. 

i would assume if a customer had a reputation for being a poor tipper, but the restaurants servers have a track record of being good at what they do and getting good reviews, the store owner or management would probably realize the problem was moreso the customer as opposed to his employees.

when i worked retail many years ago, there were some customers who would just be problematic and would complain to management about any little petty thing.  management would smile in their faces but tell us that they knew the customer was in the wrong and they didn't take what they said serious.

Last edited:
question for non tippers,   do you expect to be treated the exact same and get the exact same service as the guy who has a reputation of being a good tipper and has is familiar with the employees?
**** like this don't enter my mind. In my few experiences with incredibly bad service I'd get up and talk to somebody and if I got the same **** after I'd just walk out. I'm not coming in to a restaurant imagining scenarios about a person that tips a lot of money and myself. I'm simply thinking of going in to eat and have a good time with whomever I'm with.

Ideally though ppl should be treated the same.
in your line of work do you treat the people you have a good rapport with the same as the ones who are moreso a nuisance to deal with?   it don't matter if its retail, waiting, office work, or wherever you work at.
There's ppl I like and ppl I don't like. Those are co-workers though. In past jobs where I had to work with a client or customer you treat them in a professional manner. If their repeat customers of course if there's a good rapport they're treated differently than somebody new. Nuisances are still customers and have to be dealt with. You might not like them but it aint like before they come in I make sure they sit in the wobbly chair or I leave them waiting for hrs.

Not trying to make it sound like roses but there's no reason to go the extreme and be a scumbag.

Ok....here is my Saturday night two nights ago. Normally I sell 1300-1600. This night I only sold 1000. Here is how it all went down. (might have missed one or two tables but here goes)

1) $8 on 49.25 = 16.3% (young persian couple, about 20 yrs old. boyfriend paid)

2) $18 on 85.98 = 21%  (Asian family 2 adults 2 kids. Asian dad 40 yrs old paid)

3)$28 on 197.34 = 14.2% (Latino family of 6. kids were older about 20 yrs. 24 yr old son paid) That one hurt a little bit, only because it was on such a large bill. but still, not terribly terrible.

4) $6 on 38.35 = 16% (dont remember the guests, and forgot to write it down)

At this point I'm thinking .....ok....off to not the best start. Only one good tip so far, and my largest bill so far only hit me with 14%. In all honesty, that kid could have tipped me a LOT worse based on stereotypes, but I Nailed that table, so maybe 14% on that one is not so bad.

5) $5 on 21.85 = 22.3% (black couple, about 37 yrs old. girl paid)

6) $20 on 130.78 = 15.3% (pleasant latino family of 6, late 50's yr old mom paid)

7) $18.60 on 81.41 = 25% (two white women around 50, one paid)

8) $9 on 44.73 = 20.1% (white married couple around 50, husband paid)

9) $8 on 49.90 = 16% (awkward asian couple around 35. Girl did all the ordering and speaking. Guy paid)

10) $25.47 on 114.25 = 22.3% (Middle eastern couple, around 37, male paid)

11) $20 on 82.60 = 24.2% (2 grandparents and one kid. 55 yr old male paid)

12) $5 on 50.25 = 10% (latino couple about 35. male paid)

So....I think I missed a couple tables but that's the night right there. Only on person tipped 10%. And they came in 10 minutes before closing which was already a red flag.

All in all I made $195 on 1000 sales. Which is 19.5%. After tipping out the required 40 dollars (4% of my sales) to bussers, bartenders, hosts, expo, and cocktail runner, I walked with 155. Actually 150. I gave the busboys an extra 5. You can never go wrong tipping bussboys extra. It actually makes you money in the long run. Normally on Saturday night I walk with 200-250, but this night my sales were lower. What can you do.

I'd also like to average all of my tips percentages EQUALLY WEIGHTED for you all to see. It would go like this.

16.3 + 21 + 22.3 + 16 + 16 + 14.2 + 25 + 20 +16 + 22.3 + 24.2 + 9.4 = 222.7

222.7/12 = 18.56% average tip per customer. About 2 percent lower than my average.

Take from this what you will.

That is the thing. I expect them to do their job regardless of if I tip or not and I'm 100% sure the business owner would agree

If Im a nuisance or my group then yes you should tip, that is what tipping is for. If i have a large crowd then yes i would tip

IF I go somewhere and order for my self, why should I tip you when all you did was bring me my food?

i agree but it's one thing to simply do your job, and it's another to provide above and beyond service and do more then what's expected of you.    
I think this is a main point of contention for ppl who don't tip as much as others.

What exactly is above and beyond service anyway. Is there a set definition? Won't change my practices but unless the waitress is gonna suck my **** after refilling my drink and serving me my meal I haven't ever come across excellent service in my life let alone above and beyond.

They guy at macdonald's just brings you your food. What we do as servers is EXPONENTIALLY harder, more details oriented, and is in no way the same level of service. So if you don't tip, then next time that's what you'll get....bare minimum.

I sometimes ordered from a restaurant that's relatively far away, around 10 to 15 minute drive. Years ago I ordered and I had given a small tip like $2 and the delivery guy says "You know it's really far coming to deliver here and it's just not worth it for a $2 tip"

Since then I normally go pick it up, which brings me to a similar question, do you/should you tip when you go pick up the order at the restaurant?
How cheap can u be ... I guess you don't think your time is money. Plus why leave the comfort of your home because you don't want to tip 2 or 3 extra dollars?

I think this is a main point of contention for ppl who don't tip as much as others.

What exactly is above and beyond service anyway. Is there a set definition? Won't change my practices but unless the waitress is gonna suck my **** after refilling my drink and serving me my meal I haven't ever come across excellent service in my life let alone above and beyond.
There is no set definition. Maybe you aren't informed enough as a customer, or intelligent enough to realize when your server is doing more than is required.  Is there a set definition for a girlfriend that goes above and beyond? Or a friend? Or a brother or sister? You can just tell man. 

Maybe he saw you tear through your ranch and you had over half of your wings left. He isn't required to bring you more, or even notice. If you request it, then he'll get it. THat's all that's required. If you were my guest, and I'd anticipate that need and get it anyway, because I always go above and beyond. But if you tip poorly, next time you'll have to wait for that ranch until everyone else in my station is cool. There is no set definition as to who's needs are more important, we as servers get to make that distinction. Even if it's not me, and you have a new server, I will tell the new server that you tip bad (all servers do this for each other), so they don't waste unnecessary effort trying to impress you, since it will go unrewarded. They'll spend their higher efforts on other tables. As you can see from my last post, EVERYONE for the most part tips decent. You are literally like the only dude not tipping. We remember poor tippers. Expect that kind of service.

Last edited:
How cheap can u be ... I guess you don't think your time is money. Plus why leave the comfort of your home because you don't want to tip 2 or 3 extra dollars?
That happened once about 10 years ago, most likely $2 was all I had in change that day.

There is no set definition. Maybe you aren't informed enough as a customer, or intelligent enough to realize when your server is doing more than is required.  Is there a set definition for a girlfriend that goes above and beyond? Or a friend? Or a brother or sister? You can just tell man. 
This is exactly my point. Since there isn't a set definition it's subjective to the individual regardless if you want to say they aren't intelligent enough or aren't informed. "Above and beyond" service is subjective so for ppl who do tip based on quality of service you will get a subjective tip according to the customer not the server.

Last edited:

I sometimes ordered from a restaurant that's relatively far away, around 10 to 15 minute drive. Years ago I ordered and I had given a small tip like $2 and the delivery guy says "You know it's really far coming to deliver here and it's just not worth it for a $2 tip"

Since then I normally go pick it up, which brings me to a similar question, do you/should you tip when you go pick up the order at the restaurant?
He could've given him $0. **** is just ungrateful.

Dudes forget they're not entitled to that money.

Tipping is a courtesy not an institution.

This is actually a really interesting point. The job is to provide good service. In my experience, I've been asked to do something illegal and was accused of not providing "good customer service" because I refused. Some people's expectations are pretty unbelievable and they're usually coming from the most rude and obnoxious customers. 

He could've given him $0. **** is just ungrateful.
Dudes forget they're not entitled to that money.
Tipping is a courtesy not an institution.
and that's where you wrong. 15 minutes is far for a 2 dollar tip. Dude is loosing money from other deliveries and that's why he was told this is to far for 2 dollars. I bet if he had called again and the same delivery man was there, the order would of have been rejected. Now if he tip good dude would never had that problem.

All in all I made $195 on 1000 sales. Which is 19.5%. After tipping out the required 40 dollars (4% of my sales) to bussers, bartenders, hosts, expo, and cocktail runner, I walked with 155. Actually 150. I gave the busboys an extra 5. You can never go wrong tipping bussboys extra. It actually makes you money in the long run. Normally on Saturday night I walk with 200-250, but this night my sales were lower. What can you do.

I'd also like to average all of my tips percentages EQUALLY WEIGHTED for you all to see. It would go like this.

222.7/12 = 18.56% average tip per customer. About 2 percent lower than my average.

So you made more money than a person with a minimum wage job would make working a double shift and customers are suppose to feel bad because you work for tips, otherwise you're not going to do your job as good? :rolleyes

Last edited:
Not only that. Dude out here shading customers cause they tipped $2 instead of $4 on a $20 ticket :lol:

Last edited:
Truthfully i just dont belive in tipping. Know some countries dont do tipping, some countries take it as a sign of disrespect to tip

But i cannot for the heck of it justify myself to tip a person for something Im paying for including your job

This reminds me when I took my boy and his wife out in Paris.

I picked up the bill and left a hefty tip. My boys wife literary picked up the tip and try to give it back to me talking about that's way to much. I was like what f .... I actually was embarrassed for her in am akward way.

Then I was like no its cool they did a good job, so she pocket half of the tip and said we'll use it later. Smh ...

She did use it later to pay for other stuff but I was just rattle and uncomfortable for the rest of the evening.

Last edited:
Is bare minimum service good service? Or is it scumbagging it up doing everything slower cause you expecting a poor or no tip?

This is why so many nters eat dolo either they got cheap friends who no tip or maybe no tip demselfes

Ok....here is my Saturday night two nights ago. Normally I sell 1300-1600. This night I only sold 1000. Here is how it all went down. (might have missed one or two tables but here goes)

1) $8 on 49.25 = 16.3% (young persian couple, about 20 yrs old. boyfriend paid)

2) $18 on 85.98 = 21%  (Asian family 2 adults 2 kids. Asian dad 40 yrs old paid)

3)$28 on 197.34 = 14.2% (Latino family of 6. kids were older about 20 yrs. 24 yr old son paid) That one hurt a little bit, only because it was on such a large bill. but still, not terribly terrible.

4) $6 on 38.35 = 16% (dont remember the guests, and forgot to write it down)

At this point I'm thinking .....ok....off to not the best start. Only one good tip so far, and my largest bill so far only hit me with 14%. In all honesty, that kid could have tipped me a LOT worse based on stereotypes, but I Nailed that table, so maybe 14% on that one is not so bad.

5) $5 on 21.85 = 22.3% (black couple, about 37 yrs old. girl paid)

6) $20 on 130.78 = 15.3% (pleasant latino family of 6, late 50's yr old mom paid)

7) $18.60 on 81.41 = 25% (two white women around 50, one paid)

8) $9 on 44.73 = 20.1% (white married couple around 50, husband paid)

9) $8 on 49.90 = 16% (awkward asian couple around 35. Girl did all the ordering and speaking. Guy paid)

10) $25.47 on 114.25 = 22.3% (Middle eastern couple, around 37, male paid)

11) $20 on 82.60 = 24.2% (2 grandparents and one kid. 55 yr old male paid)

12) $5 on 50.25 = 10% (latino couple about 35. male paid)

So....I think I missed a couple tables but that's the night right there. Only on person tipped 10%. And they came in 10 minutes before closing which was already a red flag.

So your making $150 a night and weekends about $200 . Your making $800 -$1000 a week. Not even including your hourly pay. That is more then the average worker

and you all get mad when a person dont tip.

And you got made on that $28 tip, please all you did was bring the food and drinks out, you dont even buss tables or anything. why do you think you deserve more?

plus you still get hourly pay

I will never tip more then 10% unless i have a big party and my waiter is actually working

$50 and under tab I usually leave no more then $5

with a $20-$25 tab I usally will leave $2  - $3 plus the change from the bill

So you made more money than a person with a minimum wage job would make working a double shift and customers are suppose to feel bad because you work for tips, otherwise you're not going to do your job as good?
eyes.gif
Intradasting.

This reminds me when I took my boy and his wife out in Paris.

I picked up the bill and left a hefty tip. My boys wife literary picked up the tip and try to give it back to me talking about that's way to much. I was like what f .... I actually was embarrassed for her in am akward way.

Then I was like no its cool they did a good job, so she pocket half of the tip and said we'll use it later. Smh ...

She did use it later to pay for other stuff but I was just rattle and uncomfortable for the rest of the evening.
Well in paris every bill have a 15% gratuity added by law

Also tips in Paris is not expected
 But it’s never expected and is only given for good or attentive service, or at a place you habituate frequently.  Paris
Leaving more than 5-10% is generally not done, even though it may be customary and considered impolite to leave less than 15% in your country.

Simple answer

Your friend was right

and

Paris is not greedy

They guy at macdonald's just brings you your food. What we do as servers is EXPONENTIALLY harder, more details oriented, and is in no way the same level of service. So if you don't tip, then next time that's what you'll get....bare minimum.
yaw dont do jack. i sit and watch. You guys take orders , put it in, grab the plate and bring it to me. Then ask me the same question every 5 secs, Is everything alright?

and that's where you wrong. 15 minutes is far for a 2 dollar tip. Dude is loosing money from other deliveries and that's why he was told this is to far for 2 dollars. I bet if he had called again and the same delivery man was there, the order would of have been rejected. Now if he tip good dude would never had that problem.
Blame your boss lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom