Gilbert Arenas' thoughts on NBA players and contracts

This is why the dude in Minnesota deserves props. They offered him a max contract but he didn't take it because he didn't think he was worth it yet andwanted the team to spend the money on others players.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

^^^Bro i would give anything.

This guy has got the game, the go hard attitude like guys back in the day, the swag, and the personality. NY would go CRAZY for this guy. I dont know how it could happen though, i know he is a restricted FA at the end of the season, and we could potentially do a sign/trade, but we would HAVE to get rid of a bunh of guys to do so. Marbury would have to go of course Gil and Marbury cant be on the same team. We should keep Crawford. I would love that backcourt. But Z Bo it think would also have to go. We would have 2 prolific scorers in the backcourt, and it wouldnt work with Z bo hogging it. Curry has to go with or without Gil.

I would LOVE Gilbert in NY. Even more than i would love Kobe in NY. But it would be toguh to do. Maybe a package of Curry/Marbury? we couldnt trade Z Bo and Marbury in the same deal because their contracts' are too high. If Gil gets signed for around 20 mil we could potentially do a package with Curry and Marbury. I would also love Artest next year as well and maybe we could package Z Bo in a deal to get Artest here. But i dsont know if Sac would want Z Bo.

It probably wont happen, and alot of things would have to go our way in trades but Gil would be perfect in NY.
Marbury and Curry would both definitely have to be included in a trade for Gilly. Mess around, Wiz might want Craw involved somehow since theydon't have a legit 2 over there. (Deshawn?
sick.gif
Nick Young?
grin.gif
)

Three-way trade might have to be arranged somehow.

The Knicks would still suck with Gil in their rotation.

Gilbert is the type of player who can rub off on others and raise the intensity level of guys who have lesser talent. He'd thrive in NYC. The press wouldlove him and his quotable mouth. The fans would love him and his desire to win. And most importantly, it would signal a new era at MSG by putting all thelosing, all the bumbling coaching signings and firings, and all the mismanagement in the rearview mirror.

Marbury and Curry in DC??? It took about 5 years for our underachieving center to show a pulse, and IMO, Todd > Curry....HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO to any one ofthose two playing in DC....Also, I'd take Nick Young over Jamal Crawford any day of the week. There is nothing enticing on the Knicks roster other thanDavid Lee.

BTW, he isn't leaving DC....1st priority (he said) is to re-sign w. the Wiz.

He has a good point but the dude is going to turn into a walking contradiction this summer. He isn't as valuable to his own team as he thinks he is. Youare never going to be able to go deep into the playoffs with a shoot first one guard as your best player. I would give Gil close to max money but I don'tthink he is a max player. Let's see him do something in the playoffs this year. And if he doesn't and the Wiz aren't poning up the cash like hewants we will see if 15 million is different then 17 million.

Unfortunately, that's what agents do. They compare other players and what they make and line-up their stats side-by-side with their clients. Gil has agreat point about Okafor turning down a 5 year $65 million contract from the Bobcats. Okafor response was, "they made a fair deal". I thought the guywas smarter than that but when he saw Dwight Howard got $85 for 5 years, he believe he derserve a contract somewhere in that vincinity. Hell, Manu Ginobili ismaking about 8 million a season. The NBA is only going to get worse when second-tier players start believing they're worth more than they are valued.

I know that Eric Snow was running the point, but is or isn't AI considered a PG? I think most people view him as a shoot first PG

I thought the unwritten rule in sports between guys was that you dont talk about each others money and contracts in the open like that?? like how everyonekilled Brett Favra when he did it a few years ago about Driver i think it was.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I know that Eric Snow was running the point, but is or isn't AI considered a PG? I think most people view him as a shoot first PG

he played the SG position exclusively for the majority of his time in Phila.

Although... the guy you're debating with isnt necessarily correct either. I wouldnt exact categorize Tony Parker or Chauncey Billups as pass firstPG's. But at the same time they are natural point guards and not 2 guards running the point... which is what i believe Arenas is and what AI is in Denver

Originally Posted by TheAndrea3000

Emeka Okafor has the ability to put up Dwight number not to mention the fact that he's a better defender and has a more natural anticipation for block shots despite his hight.

most ignant post I've seen in a while

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

he played the SG position exclusively for the majority of his time in Phila.

Although... the guy you're debating with isnt necessarily correct either. I wouldnt exact categorize Tony Parker or Chauncey Billups as pass first PG's. But at the same time they are natural point guards and not 2 guards running the point... which is what i believe Arenas is and what AI is in Denver

True. AI played SG in 01.

Originally Posted by K8be wan Kenobi

^ reachin WAY back
laugh.gif
Yeah.
laugh.gif

The closest I can come to a scoring point is this guy:

357020.jpg

He put up 22.5 back in 90. But he still gave out 10 apg.

And he even had help from Tom Chambers (27 ppg).

So yeah, it's VERY rare to find a shoot-first pg who will lead you to the promised land.

As others have pointed out, AI came in as a point. But played the 2 most of his time in Phi.

Emeka Okafor has the ability to put up Dwight number not to mention the fact that he's a better defender and has a more natural anticipation for block shots despite his hight.
No.

No he doesn't.

Not at all.

And one more time... Nope.

Originally Posted by s9a1ct6o

The Knicks would still suck with Gil in their rotation.
Exactly why i mentioned that if we were to trade for Gil (which i know is just a dream cause this dude is my favorite player and has that NY game andpersonality) we would have to trade many others as well. Which is why i mentioned that many things would have to go our way. Not only would we have to puttogether an offer to interest the wizards. And if we were to make a trade it would not go by the 11 mil Gil makes right now, it would be a sign and trade inthe offseason where the Wizards would resign Gil (for around 20 mil i would guess) and send that contract to NY. We would have to trade Marbury, Curry, Z bo...alot of things would have to be done, but i would still LOVE it to happen.

gil's got some good points, but dude really needs to slow his roll a bit w/the sideline+ofc-court commentary and just play. oh, wait..........

btw, FYI, okafor was putting up "dwight howard #'s" before dwight howard. he ain't a max contract worthy dude tho.
but it should go w/out saying that dwight is much more athletically gifted and sky's the limit for the dude.

I usually cant stand Gil but that boy is definetly speaking the truth in that regard. Who turns down 12 mil. I would take 12 thousand to play ball. Geez

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Emeka Okafor has the ability to put up Dwight numbers
No.

Uh, Yes? The only thing that Dwight has on Emeka is 2 inches and some athleticism, Emeka has always had a far higher basketball I.Q, and a better nose forthe ball. His offensive game is probably slightly more advanced than except he plays with chucking, ball dominating swing men.

You guys are being way to dismissive there was a time last year that Emeka was averaging 25 and 13 boards a game then the injuries hit. He has had these 20board games and 10 block nights despite his size and lack of athleticism. If he puts it all together it's impossible for him to average 20 and 14?

Your love affair with Dwight is clouding your mind.

some athleticism
Worlds of athleticism.

If you want to play the "has the ability" game, just wait until Dwight has any kind of legitimate post moves; he scores off sheer strength andathleticism right now. Dwight will develop that and a better basketball IQ; he just turned 22 yesterday (while Okafor is already 25).

If he puts it all together it's impossible for him to average 20 and 14?
But those aren't "Dwight numbers".
Not quite.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

some athleticism
Worlds of athleticism.

If you want to play the "has the ability" game, just wait until Dwight has any kind of legitimate post moves; he scores off sheer strength and athleticism right now. Dwight will develop that and a better basketball IQ; he just turned 22 yesterday (while Okafor is already 25).

If he puts it all together it's impossible for him to average 20 and 14?
But those aren't "Dwight numbers".
Not quite.

What are Dwight numbers then?

It's within the realm of possibility for Okafor to obtain the type of numbers Dwight is currently has.

Back
Top Bottom