GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL THREAD

Looks like III traveled to Houston last week to see Williams...

with the visit coming this weekend, it would APPEAR we are the leaders for him..

[h2]Mescheriakov Brings New Energy to Georgetown[/h2]
By | Mar 03 2009 |
WEB-nikita.png

Photo 1 of 1

Lindsay Anderson / The Hoya

Redshirt freshman Nikita Mescheriakov

Growing up in Belarus, redshirt freshman forward Nikita Mescheriakov knew very little about Georgetown. He knew it was situated across town from GeorgeWashington University, where his brother suited up for the Colonials, but beyond that, his knowledge of American college basketball was limited to the Atlantic10.

Once he arrived in the United States prior to the 2006-07 season to play for St. John's Catholic Prep in Frederick, Md., and he started seeing HeadCoach John Thompson III at his high school games, that quickly changed.

Indeed, out of all the members of this year's Hoyas squad, Mescheriakov's story is perhaps most unlikely. Less than three years after first movingto this country, he has emerged as a starter for a Georgetown team (15-12, 6-10 Big East) that just might play its way into the NCAA tournament down thestretch. The Hoyas return to action tonight at 7:30 p.m. on the road against St. John's (14-15, 5-11).

Following in the footsteps of his brother Yegor, who played at The George Washington University from 1995 to 1999, Mescheriakov arrived in the States priorto the 2006-07 season, eager for a year of seasoning and an opportunity to catch the attention of college coaches.

He arrived with just two years of English-language instruction.

Mescheriakov was solid for St. John's, where he averaged 14 points and four rebounds. Before long, he started to see Thompson in the stands.

What did Thompson see in Mescheriakov, who was hardly a known commodity at the time?

"What he's doing now," Thompson said yesterday. "He plays hard, he played hard then. He puts the ball in the basket, which he hasn'tdone as well this year as he will. He is a much better shooter than he's shown this year. I think that just comes with his comfort level. I think that hesees the open man. He can make passes."

Upon arriving on the Hilltop, Mescheriakov quickly had teammates raving about his jump shot. Before the 2007-08 season, Jessie Sapp calledMescheriakov's outside stroke "automatic."

But after heading westward, things went south for Mescheriakov before his freshman season could even begin. The NCAA ruled Mescheriakov ineligible for 10games because of a brief, unpaid stint with a professional team back in Europe.

Though he became eligible at the end of December, Mescheriakov ended up sitting out the rest of the year, working in practice to become more prepared forthe physical nature of the Big East and to improve his confidence.

Mescheriakov entered his sophomore season seemingly without a role, taking the court against some of Georgetown's weaker opponents but riding the pineagainst Tennessee, UConn and Pittsburgh, among others.

"Its always difficult to sit on the bench," Mescheriakov said yesterday. "I just wasn't ready at that time, just mentally wasn'tready. As soon as I got mentally ready I showed it to coach and he said alright, I can play."

That opportunity came against Syracuse on Jan. 14, with the Hoyas leading by three with 9:16 left in the first half.

Mescheriakov capitalized immediately, drilling three-pointers on consecutive possessions. His two big buckets helped to start a 14-0 run, as Georgetown ranaway to an 88-74 victory.

"Nikita comes in and he's been a little bit of a deer in the headlights and all of a sudden - he's been shooting the ball really well, he had acouple of good practices - so I said let's just throw him in there, and he bangs two shots in a row," Thompson said after the game.

Mescheriakov sat out the next game at Duke and then played sparingly against West Virginia and Seton Hall. But then on Jan. 28 at Cincinnati he logged 25energetic minutes, starting a string of six straight games in which he played at least 20 minutes.

And then on Feb. 14, a month after his breakout performance, once again against Syracuse, Mescheriakov replaced Sapp in the starting five.

"He gives us a little more length out there, and with the first unit it gives us a chance to get Austin [Freeman] in the backcourt at the start,"Thompson said the next weekend. "And he, Nikita, worked his way up because he plays hard, because he makes the hustle plays, because he gives you 100percent every night. If there is a ball on the floor, I know he's going to be one of the ones to get down there. He has his limitations, but he'sthrowing his body in there and if he keeps doing that he can play for this team."

Mescheriakov had his best game of the season this past Saturday at Villanova. He scored 11 points on two three-point plays, a two-point jumper and asecond-half three-pointer that extended Georgetown's lead to eight.

While shooting may be Mescheriakov's greatest natural talent, it has been, as Thompson said, the sophomore's nose for the ball that has earned himtime on the court. For a team that has at times seemed slow to every rebound and lackadaisical in pursuit of each loose ball, Mescheriakov has been a pleasantexception. As clumsy as he sometimes appears, he is almost always in the vicinity of the basketball.

"Nikita brings a lot of energy and he's very aggressive on both ends of the floor," sophomore guard Chris Wright said.

Of course, Mescheriakov's hustle does not always translate into results. In 71 minutes against Rutgers, Cincinnati and Syracuse, he collected a total oftwo rebounds. Then after five against lowly South Florida, he failed to grab a single board against either Marquette or Louisville.

And defensively, while Mescheriakov's effort is beyond reproach, his aggressiveness and average foot speed often translate into foul trouble. He has hadthree or more fouls in each of the 10 games in which he has played 11 or more minutes, fouling out three times.

"His foul trouble is a non-issue," Thompson said. "He plays extremely hard. When you play hard, aggressive defense, you pick up fouls and Iwish a few other people got in foul trouble more often, to tell you the truth. But that is not a negative. He has been extremely aggressive and hisaggressiveness has paid off dividends for us."

Mescheriakov and his teammates agree: He will only improve as he grows more comfortable in the rugged Big East. Indeed, it is not ability, or lack thereof,that has made his first season uneven, it is confidence that can make all the difference.

"I guess it's more about getting better mentally," he said. "Like, I'm improving my skills, but it's more about improvingmentally, continuing to get better there."

Said Wright: "He is a very good shooter. I think that's one thing that hasn't really shown yet. Once he gets more comfortable and he's intoa little rhythm, he'll probably be knocking down more shots and be more adept to just knowing the ins and outs of the conference and where you can attack.It's a growing process and he's just starting out there in the starting role and once he gets more comfortable, he'll really produce."

Mescheriakov has another chance to show it tonight against the Red Storm. Georgetown must win to remain in the NCAA tournament at-large berth conversation.Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m.

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica]Georgetown Basketball: Pre-Game Report [/font]

[table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]St. John's (14-15)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: Norm Roberts
(Queens '87)
5th season, 62-82
Career: Same
AP: Not Ranked
RPI: 147
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Malik Boothe[/td] [td]5-9[/td] [td]7.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Paris Horne[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]14.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td].J. Kennedy[/td] [td]6-6[/td] [td]13.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sean Evans[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]10.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Justin Burrell[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]9.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]67.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed:[/td] [td]67.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]43.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense[/td] [td]44.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]31.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]63.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]36.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]12.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]14.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (2-3)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/14: Marq 73, SJ 59
02/19: Duke 76, SJ 69
02/22: SJ 70, S. Hall 65
02/24: Syr 87, SJ 58
02/28: SJ 84, DePaul 63
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Quick Facts[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Game 28: vs. St. John's University
March 3, 7:30 pm (EST), Madison Square Garden
Tickets Available? Yes
TV: MASN/ESPN Regional
GU Radio: WTEM-980
About The Redmen:
Enrollment: 20,086
Conference: Big East
Record vs. Georgetown: 50-40
Last Five Games to Date:
2005-06: at GU 79, SJ 65
2005-06: at GU 64, SJ 41
2006-07: GU 72, at SJ 48
2007-08: GU 74, at SJ 42
2007-08: at GU 64, SJ 52
[/font]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Game Notes[/td] [/tr][tr][td][font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]--This is Georgetown's 142nd game all time at Madison Square Garden and its 30th against St. John's. The Hoyas are 13-16 overall against the Redmen.
--Tuesday's game marks the 90th meeting between the schools, third most among all opponents and second among active opponents (Seton Hall, 91).
--Georgetown is 11-3 in games played on March 3, 4-1 in the Big East era.
[/font][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Conference Rankings[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Out of 16 Teams:[/td] [td]SJU[/td] [td]GU[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Scoring[/td] [td]14th[/td] [td]11th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Defense[/td] [td]8th[/td] [td]6th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG %[/td] [td]14th[/td] [td]6th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG%[/td] [td]11th[/td] [td]10th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT%[/td] [td]12th[/td] [td]7th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds[/td] [td]10th[/td] [td]15th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebound Margin[/td] [td]4th[/td] [td]12th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists[/td] [td]16th[/td] [td]9th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turn. Margin[/td] [td]15th[/td] [td]13th[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Preview[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]A week from today, Georgetown makes its debut at the Big East Tournament with a post-season bid in the balance. But without a win against St. John's Tuesday, it won't mean as much.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Georgetown knows that every game from here on out is do or die for its post-season, and if there are any contingencies out there which could steer the Hoyas back into the NCAA tournament conversation, two wins this week are essential. To do so, they'll need to come to play against a St. John's club that, while unlikely, could qualify for its first NIT bid in six years with wins over Georgetown and Notre Dame this week. To do so, they'll have to take a marked step up in shooting, which has struggled for much of the season.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The St. John's backcourt starts with Paris Horne, a converted sixth man who has leads the team in scoring (14.2 ppg) and is the team's best offensive option. Horne is shooting 47 percent from the field as a guard, and that alone has kept St. John's competitive in games this season. Point guard Malik Booth is less of an offensive threat, especially from three, but is the best assist threat for a St. John's team that ranks last in the league in assists.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]St. John's may have a favorable matchup in 6-6 D.J. Kennedy against a taller but slower 6-8 Nikita Mescheriakov. Kennedy has slumped in recent games but can help out on rebounding, a statistic the Redmen have used to its favor in its last two wins. In a 70-65 upset of Seton hall, St. John's outrebounded the Hall 49-31. 6-8 power forward Sean Evans, shooting 51 percent from the field, looks to continue the momentum from his 15 points against DePaul, while 6-8 forward remains out of position in the pivot and opposing teams have exploited the inside lanes as a result.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]The St. John's bench is thin and somewhat depleted. Its best player, Anthony Mason, Jr., was lost early in the season, and of the remaining reserves, 6-6 forward Rob Thomas (6.1 ppg) has been the most productive. With the suspension to center Dele Coker, the Redmen have only one player taller than 6-8 left on the roster.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Either way, St. John's doesn't quit. They play hard-nosed basketball, particularly at home, where the Redmen are 4-4 in conference games at MSG or Carnesecca Arena. Despite its relative strength at home for a 5-11 squad, the Redmen are near the bottom in attendance, and a similar crowd is expected for this one.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]If Georgetown learned anything from Saturday's nail-biter with Villanova, it is that turnovers kill. It's a lesson also learned at St. John's, which ranks 15th in the league compared to Georgetown's 13th in turnover margin. But Georgetown also needs to play to its strengths, particularly inside, where consistent play from Dajuan Summers and Greg Monroe (particularly in the second half) can allow Georgetown the breathing room it needs and limit the kind of passes which lead to turnovers. Since neither team specializes in comebacks, getting an early lead and keeping it will be a point of emphasis for both squads.[/font]

[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Some keys to the game:

1. Mid-Range Shots: If St. John's is to get significant point production, it won't come from inside and likely not from three, where the Redmen are shooting at 31% overall, but in the mid-range shot. Georgetown must control the forwards and reduce offensive rebound opportunities.
[/font]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]2. The Last Four Minutes: Georgetown may have won the Villanova game with its efforts late in the first half. Another strong finish before halftime could be key.[/font] [font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]3. Jessie Sapp: Sapp could be an invaluable defensive weapon on Horne, and has saved some of his best games for his hometown audience.[/font]
[font=MS Sans Serif, Arial, helvetica]Georgetown matches up well with each of its final two opponents in the regular season, but matchups don't win games. In a season where the Hoyas have struggled on the road, a win Tuesday would keep the post-season alive, and make next week's return even more important.[/font]
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td] [table][tr][td]Georgetown (15-12)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Coach: John Thompson III
(Princeton '88)
5th season, 116-48
Career: 186-88
AP: Not Ranked
RPI: 40
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Expected Starters[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Ht.[/td] [td]Pts.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chris Wright[/td] [td]6-1[/td] [td]14.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Freeman[/td] [td]6-4[/td] [td]11.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nikita Mescheriakov[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Dajuan Summers[/td] [td]6-8[/td] [td]14.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]13.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Team Stats:[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points/Game:[/td] [td]70.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Points Allowed[/td] [td]64.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Shooting:[/td] [td]47.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FG Defense:[/td] [td]40.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3FG Shooting:[/td] [td]33.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FT Shooting:[/td] [td]71.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rebounds/Game[/td] [td]32.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Assists/Game[/td] [td]14.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Turnovers/Game[/td] [td]14.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Last 5 Games (1-4)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]02/14: Syr 98, GU 94 (OT) 02/18: GU 65, USF 40
02/21: Marq 78, GU 72
02/28: Lvl 76, GU 58
03/01: GU 56, V'Nova 54

[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

Georgetown has emerged as a serious player for Latavious Williams.
"Coach Thompson came up last week and it went pretty good," Williams told Rivals.com. "He liked the way I practiced and wants me to visit after my season. He said they need an athletic 4 man to come in because [DaJuan] Summers is probably leaving."

laugh.gif

III isn't buyin what DaJuan is sellin. It was strange when DaJuan came out and said he'll be back and III's response to the media was along thelines of "If that's where his head's at right now.."

Those stats posted above are depressing.

As long as P Horne and DJ shoot the ball, this game won't be such a disaster.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

i really miss these dudes:

i miss this dude.....and his horrible freestyles out side of village c
laugh.gif

let's remember who kept this dude academically eligible
pimp.gif
we all know the similar test scores was pure coincidence...
laugh.gif

didn't even see Jon in that pic
laugh.gif

...well, the visit took place BEFORE DaJuan came out and said he'd return.

I still don't buy him, but why even say it? just say you'll look over things at seasons end. Even if he ends of coming back We know he's gona testthe waters w/o an agent and see what happens.

This team can live without DaJuan next year...Greg...not so much.

i wouldn't miss dajuan one bit.

i can't say im surprised it's this close after one half, but i was hoping we'd really come out strong. we were stuck at 18 points for a bit there,could have really built up a lead.

Seeing DaJuan make THAT kinda move man...

It's a tease and why I want him back.

DaJuan did not just make that pass
eek.gif

I swear in 3 years now that might be the first backdoor he has thrown precisely.

...I'ma Julian Vaughn fan now...kid is just playing now and being aggressive. Much needed.

OMG PRINCETON OFFENSIVE FTW! First backdoor bucket in .... I can't even remember.

Lets go USF.

Austin Freeman sat out the game with a hip pointer.

It's incredible how this team has played in the last ten minutes of games.

Outside of the ND and Louisville games we were right there or winning games at that point...and then just fall apart.

I don't get it.

It's a lack of confidence, youth, softness, and *gulp* bad coaching all rolled into one.

Let's just finish this year off right, playing smart and hard. Leave with something to build on.

not that im stalking or anything...but this came up on my mini-feed:

Greg Monroe is whats a man to do?

that's his status message. wonder if he's contemplating bouncing. hopefully he's referring to which girl to smash this weekend or something minorlike that.

that's his status message. wonder if he's contemplating bouncing. hopefully he's referring to which girl to smash this weekend or something minor like that.
His girlfriend from HS followed him to G'Town.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

that's his status message. wonder if he's contemplating bouncing. hopefully he's referring to which girl to smash this weekend or something minor like that.
His girlfriend from HS followed him to G'Town.
ahh...well as long as he stays cool. that sucks tho
laugh.gif

III went to Kentucky yesterday to visit the Sanford kid..

he may or may not have offered, but according to reports made a good impression and now appear to be the leaders.

Sanford didn't play AAU ball, just worked out with his father....it's why he's been under the radar.

...the fact that after the worst loss in his career he gets out on the trail the next day, says a lot...and why he's the right guy for the job.

Greg needs another year. He has to get stronger and develop an off hand.

I hope Jessie gets a standing O on Saturday and people go to the game, the kid deserves it.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I hope Jessie gets a standing O on Saturday and people go to the game, the kid deserves it.
I feel bad, thinking about bailing on the game and heading up to NYC to try and snag a pair of USC Kobes
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]The Class of 2009[/td] [td]3/6/09[/td] [/tr][/table]
It has been a truism over the years in Georgetown Basketball that early transfers undermine a team's depth by its senior season. And so it is the casewith the Class of 2009, where only one scholarship senior remains from a four man group that marked John Thompson III's first full recruiting class.

It was four years ago that Josh Thornton arrived at Georgetown with highhopes, averaging 25 points a game in high school, but after a freshman season where he played in just six games, he transferred at the end of 2006 to Towson,where he has averaged 12 points a game for the Tigers over two seasons. Forward MarcEgerson played for a year and a half at Georgetown, averaging 3.8 points and 2.5 rebounds before returning to Delaware, where he is averaging 14.6 pointsand 8.8 rebounds for the Blue Hens, and leads the team with a 15.5 point, 10.4 rebound average this season. The third transfer was Octavius Spann, who averaged 0.9 ppg in 22 games over two seasons at GU. He transferred toMarshall, where he has battled injuries this season and is averaging 2.7 points per game as a junior.

j_sapp.gif
The one who remainedhas distinguished himself among the top players of this decade. Jessie Sapp,Georgetown's first major New York City recruit in nearly a decade, played every game the only way he knew how: hard. "He never gets the credit hedeserves, but that's the good thing about him - he doesn't worry about it," said Pitt's Levance Fields for a player who was a cornerstone ofthe Hoyas' 2007 and 2008 teams. A reserve in 2005-06, Sapp started for 79 consecutive games at guard over two and a half seasons, with memorable games suchas 15 points against North Carolina in the 2007 NCAA regional final and 23 points in the 2008 Big East quarterfinals against Villanova. Dogged by a season longshooting slump, Sapp returned to the starting lineup in Austin Freeman's absence and could do so again Saturday. He ranks 16th all time in assists.
Code:
Year     G    FG      FT    REB AST STL BLK  PTS  AVG.2005-06  33  37-91    9-12   63  20  17   2   92  2.82006-07  37 123-290  51-81  148 128  45   5  337  9.1  2007-08  34 112-256  44-58  140 110  42  13  330  9.72008-09  28  58-158  31-43  102  48  38   5  175  6.2Totals  132 330-795 135-194 453 306 142  25  934  7.0

b_jansen.gif
Bryon Jansen's college career got off to a late start and ended a little short. Apractice player from the Seattle area, Jansen was called up to the varsity for the 2007-08 season after the transfer of Octavius Spann. He played in ten gamesas a junior, with his three point basket against St. John's a singular highlight. Jansen played in only five games this season before being lost to theseason with injury, he was 4-4 at the line in just nine minutes of play.
Code:
Year     G  FG      FT      REB AST STL BLK PTS  AVG.2007-08 10   1-4     0-0      1   0   0   0   3  0.32008-09  5   0-0     4-4      1   0   0   0   4  0.8Totals  15   1-4     4-4      2   0   0   0   7  0.4

Both will be honored at Senior Day ceremonies Saturday. Congratulations to Jessie, Bryon, and their families.

Edge
tired.gif
..woulda been nice
ohwell.gif

Sanford...
Quick impressions of watching Vee last night:
First let me say he is a very polished/ poised/ "smooth" player... He is 6'3 but plays much taller... very long arms and just has a presence that seems taller than his height. Offensively he is a pure scorer... very good at creating his own shot and seemingly can get to the basket any time he wants... he only had 14 points last night but that was due to the physical nature of the defense that was played against him... he got bumped/hit/pushed seemingly every time he drove to the basket without many calls... It was hard to tell if he is a "pure shooter" as he only attempted a few spot up jump shots, but his form is pure... On the defensive end he looked a bit lazy at times, but when the game got close he showed he can play lock down defense... My concern with him moving forward (hopefully at the hilltop) is his strength... he was bumped around easily all night by a smaller set of guards... hopefully if we get him we can get him in the weight room... I think he would be a good addition just not sure how early he could contribute... To his defense I found out today he was battling the stomach flu, which may have accounted for some of the things I mentioned...Also, just talked to my friend, and apparently JT3 called Vee last night to see how he did, and Vee told him he only scored 14, but they got the win, and JT3 made it clear to Vee he is more concerned with what Vee did to help the team WIN rather than how many points he had... this impressed both Vee and his father.

From everything I've read...I think we land this kid...and hopefully Williams as well. That would turn out to be a pretty good class withHollis.
III was also courtside with Morgan Wooten last night at the Dematha game...times have changed
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

anddd...he was watching Quinn Cook...he and Markel in the back court would be
pimp.gif

some optimism..

What we want
First--A Hoya win....
then a Pitt win, Louisville win and Cuse and WVU losses.

That would then mean...USF on Tuesday, Providence on Wednesday and Uconn on Thursday..

obviously being 3-0 against those teams, I'd take that. We probably need to make the finals to get in the tournament at this point, but a run to thesemi's MIGHT put us back on the bubble...and that is the best lineup of 3 games we could ask for.

Another option is if SHU wins tomorrow...that would give us SJU, Marquette, Nova....not a bad route, either.

Cuse did it in 06, why not us? (there's a huge list of reasons why not, but im sayin....)

Though few will be on hand to witness it, Georgetown men's basketball will celebrate senior day on Saturday. The program will honor Jessie Sapp and Brian Jansen and thank them for their contributions to the program.

For the Class of 2009, this will be a bittersweet Saturday, the culmination of a regular season marked by disappointment and frustration. I think we can safely say that the players have felt that just as much as the fans.

This season may have been especially bittersweet for Sapp. Anointed at last as "the man" before the campaign even began, Jessie's senior season has fallen well short of expectations. While some, including this writer, thought Sapp might lead his team into the NCAA tournament and play his way into NBA conversation, it appears that neither of those predictions will come to fruition.

But if you will allow me to shed my journalistic objectivity for a moment, I would like to take this opportunity to laud my classmate, the only player who was on the team for the entirety of my time on the Hilltop, and remind everyone what Jessie Sapp has meant to this program.

Jessie Sapp committed to play for Georgetown back in the winter of 2005. Georgetown was coming off of a sub-.500 season and headed for the NIT. There was little reason for him to believe in JT III or the Georgetown name, and yet he did.

Freshman year he picked his spots, was a solid contributor off the bench, made all the hustle plays. In March, he stood tall with his teammates as they fell in the Sweet 16 to Florida, even though he was dealing with an unspeakable family tragedy back home in Harlem - his little sister was shot in the jaw. She has since made a full recovery.

Jessie, as most fans on the Hilltop simply call him, stepped into the starting five as a sophomore and did so with aplomb. All he did was help guide Georgetown to its first Final Four in more than 20 years. Take a look at the pictures of the Hoyas celebrating in the Meadowlands, fresh off beating UNC in the Elite Eight, and you'll find Sapp's wide, toothy grin front and center. On a team that often seemed serious and business-like, Jessie could always be counted on for exuberance and excitement.

Last season, as Georgetown won its second-straight Big East regular season title, Sapp was at his best. Big shots against UConn, Syracuse and West Virginia. He shot 41 percent from three. If you can't appreciate a guy who doubled his three-point shooting percentage in two years, you're really missing out.

And Jessie Sapp has always been tough.

This season has admittedly been different. He has not taken that big step forward, has not displayed an NBA-ready skill set, has not taken the team to new heights. I don't know what happened with Jessie and Chris Wright, don't quite get why he lost his starting spot, and really have no idea how vocal a leader he was. When I finish this piece and put my journalist's hat back on, I'll try to find out.

But for 95 percent of his time on the court, and 100 percent off of it, Sapp has exemplified what it should mean to play basketball at Georgetown.

He has played happily for four years in an era when four-year players are stigmatized.

He led his team to the pinnacle of the sport.

He has lost his spot in the starting lineup with nary a public complaint.

Rather than keeping his distance from a student body that often fawns inappropriately over its basketball stars, he has befriended a wide swatch of his fellow students. He has built rapports with not just his teammates and coaches, but just about every athletic department employee, and in some cases, their families too.

He's always willing to chat with a reporter.

Despite a childhood that he will acknowledge was not easy, in spite of a road to the Hilltop traveled by very few of his classmates, Sapp has excelled at one of the best schools in the country.

Jessie Sapp will almost certainly not make the NBA, not next year anyway, and his team's odds of making the NCAA tournament are not much better. But when he takes the court on Saturday, I implore all of you, whether in the stands or at home, to rise in ovation.

It will be a long time before this campus sees anyone quite like Jessie Sapp.

Bailey Heaps is a senior in the College and a former senior sports editor and editor in chief for THE HOYA.

Pat SR
AI
Sweets
Jeff
Joey Brown
Jessie Sapp

My favorite Hoya's of all Time. Thank you Jessie.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom