FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I had a Lobster Roll @ Luke's Lobster in DC.

I didn't "get" eating cold animal flesh on a warm toasted bun. I guess it makes sense since that is what is done with Tuna sandwiches.

Not for me. Plus I would have to eat like 4 to be anywhere near full.

Chilli is a stew. Stew and rice is always a good combo.

I’d say I’ve had both Beef Stew/Rice and Chili/Rice on many occasions in my life. One of my college staples. Along with pasta and sauce right out of the jar, quesadillas and Stroganoff Hamburger Helper.

RE: Lobster Rolls.

I also would WANT to doctor it up to fit my tastes because the current presentation for me doesn't do much for me.

I naturally want to treat it like a Hot Dog version of an "uncooked" crab cake.

I would want some tartar or cocktail sauce but I know that isn't "right."

But I wouldn't care since #EatToEat is the motto.

I just don't view them worth the experience. (NOt saying they are nasty) but if I am spending $15 on a fish hotdog, I better be at least 20% full afterwards.

Haven't been up there as an adult. Might have to make that happen this upcoming spring/summer. Not trying to deal with the cold if I don't have to.

Never been to any of those spots in DC. We have a couple good ones here in Baltimore though.
I should have known you were from B-More from your picture of Marlo. LOL

Slapfish has a clobster (crab and lobster) grilled cheese that is good with their fries which are surprisingly really good as well (no real need for ketchup on them unless you cannot eat fries without it). Luke's Lobster I can eat any of their rolls (though I usually go for their shrimp or crab rolls) and their lobster bisque, but the servings are a little bit small. I would rather spend a few more bucks for a roll that is a little bit bigger.

Between the two I would choose Slapfish mainly because the value is better (the clobster grilled cheese is a really good size and it cost $16 including the fries). Damn, now my mouth is watering for that now.

Still waiting to have that “wow” moment with sushi...
2CC1B932-DCB3-4281-9C6E-60F30A8C12A9.jpeg

I love seafood so it's good as hell to me, BUT, again, a warm buttered Connecticut roll is much better.
Yeah me not being that big of a seafood fan probably doesn’t help. I just keep to the classics. Salmon, Snapper and catfish. Outside of that, salmon cakes or crab cakes is all I’m eating when it comes to seafood.

As far as chili and rice, it depends on the style of chili. Chili with beans, sure. I hate chili with beans tho. Unnecessary to me and those types usually have tomato in it which I’m not a fan of

A Cincinnati style chili or Coney Island type chili I’m not eating with rice.

Sushi is a simplicity thing anways so there won't be a wow factor. Must haves for me though are unagi and toro or chutoro if available. I'll get the tuna/salmon/yellowfish combo to fill, all the special rolls are wildly hit or miss. Best special roll i've had is the Daikichi roll from Daikichi in Chesapeake, VA, haven't been in years.

Not my pic but it's a baked spicy shrimp and scallion mix
o.jpg

RE: Lobster Rolls.

I also would WANT to doctor it up to fit my tastes because the current presentation for me doesn't do much for me.

I naturally want to treat it like a Hot Dog version of an "uncooked" crab cake.

I would want some tartar or cocktail sauce but I know that isn't "right."

But I wouldn't care since #EatToEat is the motto.

I just don't view them worth the experience. (NOt saying they are nasty) but if I am spending $15 on a fish hotdog, I better be at least 20% full afterwards.
I guess for me, not everything that I eat I want to get full from. Some things I eat are just for a good foodie experience and lobster rolls are one of those guilty pleasures of mine that I throughly enjoy. Yes, good lobster rolls costs upwards to $20 because good lobster is not cheap, but there are definitely some places where the roll is not tiny and can be filling (well, for me anyway). Some places though are a straight rip off and are totally not worth it whatsoever (cough, cough.....Eventide Oyster.....cough).

Back
Top Bottom