FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Re: Food Education.

1. If you know better, do better. It sounds good but food is essentially another thing we can be addicted to. BAD food is something that we definitely can be addicted to. If you have grown up eating a piss poor diet (not saying it is completely your doing), it is hard to break free from those chains.

2.For those that know better and have the means to do better, and you still aren't doing better, that is your battle you have to face. The reality is Some of us are addicted to bad food (not an excuse but a truth) and might be stuck in our ways because of how long we have been abusing our body.You just have to figure it out, I don't want to be insensitive but it is your life. It isn't up to any business to coddle you and save you from yourself.

3. "Information is Out There." - I agree. If you KNOW the information is out there and you SEEK the information that is out there, you can access it. But some people don't know that they DON'T know. So while the info is out there, some of us are in survival mode on a day-to-day basis and that can lead to going for the quick, pre-packaged, fast food options.

Kids? Not as much, that's the responsibility of their parents in the vast majority of cases. Adults? Absolutely (unless you live in a food desert, but that's a whole 'nother conversation).

Obesity is high in America for a ton of reasons--easy access to junk foods, massive portions, a culture of individual liberty run amok, sedentary lifestyles, etc.

Hard to pin this all on fast food when other countries have easy access to fast food too.
The standards of fast food restaurants are higher in other countries. I used to live in England and the American quality is subpar and the excess quantity of food greatly differs from foreign countries. Our small is their medium size etc.

And I understand this all lies on the individual but do you not think it’s important to educate kids on the quality of food their getting . Fast food should be looked down upon. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also see there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having fast food once in a while. I just tend to shed it in a different light which people here really have a problem with

And I understand this all lies on the individual but do you not think it’s important to educate kids on the quality of food their getting . Fast food should be looked down upon. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also see there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having fast food once in a while. I just tend to shed it in a different light which people here really have a problem with
All "kids" aren't created equally.

All kids don't come from the same background.

So you can educate kids all you want (nutrition SHOULD be mandatory in schools), but if their reality is their single-parent buying them SPicy Nuggets 3x per week, then all that education is somewhat being wasted.

All "kids" aren't created equally.

All kids don't come from the same background.

So you can educate kids all you want (nutrition SHOULD be mandatory in schools), but if their reality is their single-parent buying them SPicy Nuggets 3x per week, then all that education is somewhat being wasted.
True and that’s a point I’m not debating but does that mean we should not try?
there are creative ways in which people have been getting quality food to underprivileged children. Michelle was doing a wonderful job but it starts with education. And I personally feel fast food has been looked at in “good light” for far too long and unrightfully so

Just go compare prices of "healthy" food to "junk" food, the answer is right there.

You'll notice the same trend with what people buy who only use EBT.

Its all a system.

True and that’s a point I’m not debating but does that mean we should not try?
there are creative ways in which people have been getting quality food to underprivileged children. Michelle was doing a wonderful job but it starts with education. And I personally feel fast food has been looked at in “good light” for far too long and unrightfully so

It doesn't START with education, it starts with ACCESS.

As I said, the information can be out there but if families in lower income areas don't have ACCESS to information/healthy food/education, then it doesn't matter if those things even exist.

A lot of people live in food deserts. They just dont have access to grocery stores. They tend to be lower income folks.

Grocery store is far. They often times dont have access to a vehicle to get there, so that means public transit (depending where you live) or uber (gets pricey). Thats before comparing the price of healthy food vs 50 mcnuggets.

Its easier and more affordable to buy fast food in certain situations.

ahat ahat A aham Yep.

Take my area for instance.

Ward 7, DC.

Wards 7 and 8 house about 150K people.

There are 3 grocery stores that service those 150K people.

A lot of times those grocery stores are dirty, have old food, and aren't kept up as much as grocery stores in WHITE neighborhoods. (It is what it is).

Everyone can't afford to drive elsewhere to shop for food.

It isn't fair. It isn't right.

IMG_E6B92DC81438-1.jpeg

ahat ahat A aham Yep.

Ward 7, DC.

A lot of times those grocery stores are dirty, have old food, and aren't kept up as much as grocery stores in WHITE neighborhoods. (It is what it is).

In West Baltimore, literally half of the city, there is ONE name brand grocery store- Shoppers.

ahat ahat A aham Yep.

Ward 7, DC.

In West Baltimore, literally half of the city, there is ONE name brand grocery store- Shoppers.

Institutionalized racism. How many fast food spots are there though?

Areas up here that have an LCBO (liquor store) and/or Beer Store and a Dollarama in close proximity are usually food deserts. The closest grocery stores in those areas tend to be No Frills and Food Basics (low end/tier grocery stores), compared to other areas that have Sobey's, Longo's, Whole Food's, Metro (higher end grocery stores).

if so, then please explain why obesity is in such high numbers in america?
Obviously cuz they want to be obese.

I say the same thing when I see ppl smoking cigarettes. Obviously these ppl want a higher chance of getting cancer. Obviously.

Back
Top Bottom