FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

made tips, caprese skewers with prosiutto and greens beans.

20191208_193358.jpg

This thread makes me want to go to New York and try some of that authentic looking pizza and Chicago for deep dish.
Also a halal platter from the real spot in ny and California for carne Assad’s fries.

Walk me through the potato process.
Basically just peeled and par-boiled russet potatoes, put some canola oil and butter in a cast iron on medium-high heat, introduced the potatoes, salt/pepper/onion powder/garlic powder/paprika/cayenne, stirred and let sit until it got a little crispy on one side, did that a few more times, added the cubed beef rib, gave it a few more stirs, added some fresh rosemary and thyme, let the potatoes finish crisping a bit, then served.

I've never seen Kitchen Nightmare episodes until only recently. Finding myself watching random epis at work. Classic ****:lol: some of these owners/chefs are BUGGIN!
I love that show. Between how formulaic/predictable it is, the over-arching cognitive dissonance (restaurant struggling, asks Gordon for help, Gordon comes, identifies the problems, tries to help, owners fight back/tell him he's wrong, hilarity ensues :lol:) it makes for very easy-watching entertainment. I've seen just about every episode.

The UK version is honestly much better though. Way less over-the-top in terms of editing and Gordon is way less animated.

I added mustard after. The condiment stand was away from the counter.

Yeah my sear was not very good as my brother insisted we put the cast iron skillet inside the grill and sear there rather than just doing stovetop. Given it was like mid-30s outside I think there was a lot of heat loss/poor heat control. Plus I seared mine last so the skillet was probably at it's coldest by that point. My brother's was first to be seared and of course it came out perfectly.
If he was my brother, we shootin the ones

So ive decided to buy a really good chefs knife.
ive always had cheap ones.

anyone have experience with the japanese ones? brands?
right now for me its between the "Shun classic 8" and the "global g2"

bout the same price.

global.jpg

shun.jpg

Last edited:

global is the one bourdain used.
shun is the one everyone starts with when they get a good chefs knife.
bout the same price.

global.jpg

shun.jpg
Hit up Costco

bout the same price.

global.jpg

shun.jpg
I’d go for the shun probably. Everyone on the bbq forums I frequent love them.

Back
Top Bottom