FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 in South Africa

I know im a little late but
sick.gif
pimp.gif
@ that move pirlo made b4 the pass on the last goal

I guess ill explain my ties to Spain just for future reference.... I was born in MX but all of my grandparents and most of my family was either born or raisedin Spain. I support three national teams, Mexico for obvious reasons, USA because I live an support the country I live in, and Spain because of my heritage andsince alot of my family members closely follow the national team and FC Barcelona I became a supporter too.

there's definitely some hatred by Americans towards the USMNT.. and i don't entirely get it. Like, I get supporting your heritage - i am mostly German,so I support them and a few other national teams who I either have lineage with or I really like their style of play... but I would take the US squad heads upagainst any team to root for - i want nothing more than for our soccer program to be considered one of the elite squads in the world someday...

I just can't understand why so many obviously American posters here and other places pull so hard against our team... ajseattle and jjgrt, this isn'treferring to you guys specifically - but I really don't get this like, denial of American soccer support in this country, both by lovers and haters of thegame itself. I think that's a huge part of why we struggle as a country, and i've never seen that take place in any other sport in any other country.

^^^Ii KNOW What your saying CRAFTSY21.I understand why a lot of people root against the USA. Its great to be the world's melting pot, but it sucks when itcomes to soccer, as most Americans root for other national teams because of their heritage or ties to that country. I don't have a problem with that, butmy problem is that they talk s*** on our team, even though we are a young soccer nation compare to others that been playing for years. You can say what youwant, but the truth is that USA had gotten better over the last 10 to 15 years, and we are just starting. The future for our team is bright and It will be amatter of time before we are one of the top nations in soccer.

P.s. watching the replay right now on ESPN 2. That was not a yellow in Clark. Pozo invented that one. SMH.

GO USA all day!

TE AMO HASTA LA MUERTE.

ROSSI IS UN JOTO LOL!

soccer isn't played at a grass roots level in america. usa could be a power someday who knows. but until its p;layed at a grass roots level imo it wont.soccer/football is the most popular youth sport here. the problem is kids stop playing it in jr high/ hs in favor of baseball, gridiron american football andbasketball. if kids were encouraged to play soccer more at that age mayube it would improve our youth talent.

reason why imo people across the globe dont give the usmnt alot of credit is because usa is used to being the best at everything. and with soccer along withsome of the other most popular sports(cricket, rugby, etc) we're not. lets be honest we're kinda cocky about being the best and im sure the rest of theworld finds it amusing that we dont dominate at the worlds most popular sport. just my theory . 2 cents.

I wasn't referring to you AJS, I read your posts but yeah I just wish some people would support the US along with their patron country. MLS quality is notthat great but I still go to Galaxy games as much as possible to support the league. I dumped my season tix this year to make a point about their FO decisionsbut I really believe this country has potential to become one of the top 5 leagues in the world in 15-20 years if it does everything right.

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

soccer isn't played at a grass roots level in america. usa could be a power someday who knows. but until its p;layed at a grass roots level imo it wont. soccer/football is the most popular youth sport here. the problem is kids stop playing it in jr high/ hs in favor of baseball, gridiron american football and basketball. if kids were encouraged to play soccer more at that age mayube it would improve our youth talent.

reason why imo people across the globe dont give the usmnt alot of credit is because usa is used to being the best at everything. and with soccer along with some of the other most popular sports(cricket, rugby, etc) we're not. lets be honest we're kinda cocky about being the best and im sure the rest of the world finds it amusing that we dont dominate at the worlds most popular sport. just my theory . 2 cents.
I completely get why the rest of the world likes us sucking at soccer.. i'm just confused why our own countrymen and women feel the same wayin many cases.

imo americans arent the most accepting of "outsider activities" or whatever. soccer is seen still as an outsider sport imo. alot of ignorant peoplethink its a sissy sport with not enough scoring or stoppages and flopping. these same people love the nba. iv seen alot of us sporets pundits come up withredicilous ideas on how to "improve" the game or americanise it. the sport as a whole is looked down upon by alot of people in america. not followedalot.

imo americans arent the most accepting of "outsider activities" or whatever. soccer is seen still as an outsider sport imo. alot of ignorant people think its a sissy sport with not enough scoring or stoppages and flopping. these same people love the nba. iv seen alot of us sporets pundits come up with redicilous ideas on how to "improve" the game or americanise it. the sport as a whole is looked down upon by alot of people in america. not followed alot.

right, that's definitely part of it.. but what about the fans of soccer that i mentioned in the initial thing that brought this up? the people who chooseto shun the US soccer program while cheering for Mexico, or Italy, or England... what's the M.O. though?

Exactly, there are a good amount of soccer fans in the US. Most of them have their clubs in Europe they support or international squads they follow. Butbecause the US has not had the success of other international squads people find it easy to dismiss them and pay more attention to their "other"teams. This turns into the apathy or even dislike toward USMNT from American soccer followers.

^^^Real talk right there. I mean my favorite club in the world is BOCA, Just because since I was kid I always follow the team. But I could cheer or follow ainternational squad that is not the US. Born and bred here I could never root for any other country. I live and die with this country.

I am a soccer fan who was born and bread in America to a family of Italian heritage, all 4 grandparents were born in Italy.

Despite have an Italian flag in my avy, i do support the USMNT, just not when they play Italy. the reason being is that my club team is Juventus of Italy andfor 9 months a year i follow them religiously. so this leads to me watching almost every Serie A game i get a chance to see. i get familiar with the Italianplayers, especially the Juve players(5 Juve starters vs the US yesterday) and i root for them on the international stage.

I also watch very little MLS because i just dont think its quality soccer compared to the EPL and Serie A which are the two leagues i follow the most. So myonly exposure to the American players s when i see them play for the USMNT. they have some players i really like (Dempsey, Bradley, Kljestan) but i also cantstand Donovan, and Onyewu. i will root for the USMNT every time they play except when they play Italy and i cringed when i saw them grouped together in WC'06 and in this Confederations Cup. I am in no way anti-USMNT

And trust me, i would like nothing more then soccer to become huge in this country and get the national coverage that the sport deserves. and i think that theyonly way that it can happen is through the success of the USMNT on the global stage and i hope they can go deep in next years world cup and i will root forthem every time they take the field...i just really hope they dont have to play Italy again.

I root for ties when Italy and America play each other, but I can't get mad when Italy wins. They're just that much better than America and moredeserving. But those are the only 2 teams I root for during international play. And England because I like Wayne Rooney and a couple other of their players.

Originally Posted by socluis90

i didn't know there were so many US haters in here. Funny how most of these "fans" have probably never stepped foot outside the US and they support teams they've never seen play in person or have no national ties to.

They don't "hate" the U.S. national team. Frustration is the right word. Why would they hate this team and want it to fail, if they love soccereven a little bit? Everyone knows that the only way soccer will become popular in the states is if the national team succeeds. So not wanting the national teamto succeed is essentially the same as not wanting soccer to become popular in the U.S. I think the negative comments in this thread are more because this teamlooks like another early World Cup exit.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

i didn't know there were so many US haters in here. Funny how most of these "fans" have probably never stepped foot outside the US and they support teams they've never seen play in person or have no national ties to.

They don't "hate" the U.S. national team. Frustration is the right word. Why would they hate this team and want it to fail, if they love soccer even a little bit? Everyone knows that the only way soccer will become popular in the states is if the national team succeeds. So not wanting the national team to succeed is essentially the same as not wanting soccer to become popular in the U.S. I think the negative comments in this thread are more because this team looks like another early World Cup exit.

Actually it's a lot of Mexican supporter's who live here that enjoy every US loss. I've seen a few on here but thousands of them out in the realworld.

USMNT will make it to the semi finals of the world cup. Book it. Take a screenshot. If Altidore can get some decent playing time in europe and Bradley keepsdeveloping both of them can be a threat in 2010. The team has the players to do well its just that we can't catch a break. That red card was iffy, wecontrolled that game in the first half. Italy just took advantage of the gaps in the midfeild in the second half. US got a little too spead out with only 10men.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

They don't "hate" the U.S. national team. Frustration is the right word. Why would they hate this team and want it to fail, if they love soccer even a little bit? Everyone knows that the only way soccer will become popular in the states is if the national team succeeds. So not wanting the national team to succeed is essentially the same as not wanting soccer to become popular in the U.S. I think the negative comments in this thread are more because this team looks like another early World Cup exit.

So let me ask you a question. Do you root for the US??

people acting like the usnt had a real chance. maybe if rossi had decided to play for them.
eyes.gif
So did you actually watch the match? USMNT created atleast three scoring chances and were playing quite well before the ridiculous red card/ Chiellini not getting sent off. They had a great chance of at leastdrawing the match.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

people acting like the usnt had a real chance. maybe if rossi had decided to play for them.
eyes.gif
So did you actually watch the match? USMNT created at least three scoring chances and were playing quite well before the ridiculous red card/ Chiellini not getting sent off. They had a great chance of at least drawing the match.
The USMNT did have a legit chance to win. They where a man down. When you look at how they scored the goals, they were too spread out with only 10players and didn't close down. That's why if you give guys space like that whey will bury it. Hell if I had that space I would make those shots.
ohwell.gif

^^^After watching the replay yesterday( had to work in the morning) I feel that way also. The US played on par with Italy. Pozo made a horrible call on the redcard. Yellow at worse, but red??? The elbow by grosso to LD should have been a red also then. ROBOBOB better start Torres and Adu. I dont want to see bennystarting. I am hoping BOCA is able to play also.

alien.gif
@South Africans with the horns the whole game.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

USMNT will make it to the semi finals of the world cup. Book it. Take a screenshot. If Altidore can get some decent playing time in europe and Bradley keeps developing both of them can be a threat in 2010. The team has the players to do well its just that we can't catch a break. That red card was iffy, we controlled that game in the first half. Italy just took advantage of the gaps in the midfeild in the second half. US got a little too spead out with only 10 men.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

There is a 0% (ZERO PER CENT) chance that the US team makes the semis of the 2010 WC. Maybe 2020 or 2030, but there's no way in he.ll they'll finishahead the likes of Brazil, Holland, Italy, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, England, etc. etc.

One of the biggest disadvantages the US NT has is something that is completely out of their control...geography. Due to their location, they're forced toplay against very weak opponents in CONCACRAP. The program would benefit greatly if they could play more matches against solid European/Africa/South Americanopponents however it's extremely difficult to do so in this day and age due to American players being scattered all over the place, the MLS andInternational club seasons happening at different times, WCQ and other tournies going on, etc. Getting American players to play club soccer in Europe simplyisn't enough, the US team needs to consistently get these players together against some real competition.

Back
Top Bottom