FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 in South Africa

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by socluis90

i didn't know there were so many US haters in here. Funny how most of these "fans" have probably never stepped foot outside the US and they support teams they've never seen play in person or have no national ties to.

They don't "hate" the U.S. national team. Frustration is the right word. Why would they hate this team and want it to fail, if they love soccer even a little bit? Everyone knows that the only way soccer will become popular in the states is if the national team succeeds. So not wanting the national team to succeed is essentially the same as not wanting soccer to become popular in the U.S. I think the negative comments in this thread are more because this team looks like another early World Cup exit.
I find nothing wrong with 2, 3, or 4 generation Americans rooting for their countries of heritage. I am a naturalized citizen here but I'llroot for Poland till the day I die. I'll make sure that my children do the same. I want the US to do well but I'll always have Poland as #1. I thinkthat too many Americans forget their roots and heritage once they move here. This includes customs, language, ect.

And talk about frustrating, US soccer has no idea what frustrating means unless you are a fan of Poland's soccer federation. We allow players to leave forGermany every god damn year. We got Podolski scoring 2 goals against us after he begged to get on the Polish team, dude actually cried after scoring them atlast years Euro.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

USMNT will make it to the semi finals of the world cup. Book it. Take a screenshot. If Altidore can get some decent playing time in europe and Bradley keeps developing both of them can be a threat in 2010. The team has the players to do well its just that we can't catch a break. That red card was iffy, we controlled that game in the first half. Italy just took advantage of the gaps in the midfeild in the second half. US got a little too spead out with only 10 men.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

There is a 0% (ZERO PER CENT) chance that the US team makes the semis of the 2010 WC. Maybe 2020 or 2030, but there's no way in he.ll they'll finish ahead the likes of Brazil, Holland, Italy, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, England, etc. etc.

One of the biggest disadvantages the US NT has is something that is completely out of their control...geography. Due to their location, they're forced to play against very weak opponents in CONCACRAP. The program would benefit greatly if they could play more matches against solid European/Africa/South American opponents however it's extremely difficult to do so in this day and age due to American players being scattered all over the place, the MLS and International club seasons happening at different times, WCQ and other tournies going on, etc. Getting American players to play club soccer in Europe simply isn't enough, the US team needs to consistently get these players together against some real competition.

I doesn't matter where they play or where they're coming from. The draw of the groups helps as well as how they are playing at that time. What aboutwhen S Korea made it to the semi's in Japan/Korea WC or when Greece won the Euro's. So many things come into factor when it comes to big tournaments.Like they say "that's why they play the game" To say US has a 0% chance has to be one of the most ignorant things posted in this thread.

and BTW stone faces used to mean something on NT and now they get thrown around like candy here... case in point youre ignorant comment with those stonefacesSMH at you.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

USMNT will make it to the semi finals of the world cup. Book it. Take a screenshot. If Altidore can get some decent playing time in europe and Bradley keeps
developing both of them can be a threat in 2010. The team has the players to do well its just that we can't catch a break. That red card was iffy, we
controlled that game in the first half. Italy just took advantage of the gaps in the midfeild in the second half. US got a little too spead out with only 10
men.
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

There is a 0% (ZERO PER CENT) chance that the US team makes the semis of the 2010 WC. Maybe 2020 or 2030, but there's no way in he.ll they'll finish ahead the likes of Brazil, Holland, Italy, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, England, etc. etc.

One of the biggest disadvantages the US NT has is something that is completely out of their control...geography. Due to their location, they're forced to play against very weak opponents in CONCACRAP. The program would benefit greatly if they could play more matches against solid European/Africa/South American opponents however it's extremely difficult to do so in this day and age due to American players being scattered all over the place, the MLS and International club seasons happening at different times, WCQ and other tournies going on, etc. Getting American players to play club soccer in Europe simply isn't enough, the US team needs to consistently get these players together against some real competition.

I never understood this. You broke it down, but it always befuddles me why the US doesnt schedule matches overseas and in south america.

I firmly support the USMNT but its tough seeing little to no progression. I think there's so much potential in the younger guys (bradley, altidore, edu)but like yall saying the coaches seems to be holding them back. The U20 a couple yrs back was probably the most fun I had watching US soccer next to '02.

Well they did enter Copa America but they messed up in a sense by overloading the talent on the Gold Cup roster when the two tournaments were back to back. Itwould've been smarter to save some of the guys for Copa America or doing something like Mexico where they brought in Marquez? late in the Gold Cup so hewouldn't have to play two full tournaments in a row. The US also scheduled England and Spain on the road last year but they brought in somewhat limitedrosters because MLS was in season the same time. Bradley used guys like Josh Wolff and Eddie Lewis who have 0% chance of playing in the World Cup or evencontributing much in qualifiers. That goes back to the problem of USSF wanting a coach who won't ruffle feathers in MLS. On top of the games I alreadymentioned, they also scheduled home games vs. Brazil and Argentina and road games vs. Poland, Switzerland and Sweden. Of course it would help to play in atougher region but I see USSF politics as a bigger problem than the quality of competition.

I have to agree with tevez, the us national team needs to play better competition. Concacaf is a joke. The USA did get robbed vs Germany in South Korea. Whatgives the usnt a chance to win every game is not their talent, but the hustle and grit they put into every game. The only problem is, teams who are moretalented can play through that. I also agree that the success of soccer here relies on how good the national team is. Imagine if they didnt make it to theworld cup 2-3 years in a row? The might not even air the cup games here anymore.

edit: on a sidenote, some people like myself, love seeing the us team get their @ss handed to them. Last friendly i went to see vs argentina in nj after thegame drew at zeros the us fans are chanting overated LOL. I think some people feel the usnt is alot better than they really are

Respectable performance by Iraq. They used a dreadful 9-0-1 formation but you cant blame them considering the level of their opponents today. Spain's goalcould've been prevented if Iraqi defender #5 actually marked his man (Villa) instead of just standing there like a pylon. Iraqi defenders did a veryadmirable job on Torres, he had NO room out there to operate.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows matches, both will be very interesting. I say 1-0 Brazil and 2-0 Italy.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

I dont know why, but i love watching african teams play.
They always have the most energy when they play. The players look like they are having the times of their lives out there (the fans are insanetoo). Off topic but I would love to see Pinaar play for a big club in the future, he is in such good form.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

I dont know why, but i love watching african teams play.

Me too. Not this particular African team though.
laugh.gif

ive seen about 87 back heel passes by South Africa already..they've played some really nice combinations today (albeit against NZ)

I have to agree with tevez, the us national team needs to play better competition. Concacaf is a joke. The USA did get robbed vs Germany in South Korea. What gives the usnt a chance to win every game is not their talent, but the hustle and grit they put into every game. The only problem is, teams who are more talented can play through that. I also agree that the success of soccer here relies on how good the national team is. Imagine if they didnt make it to the world cup 2-3 years in a row? The might not even air the cup games here anymore.
i always look at what a team can do on a neutral site...yea Concacaf is a joke and qualifies at least 1too many for the WC, but Saprissa and Azteca are not easy places to play at...i would say most teams would struggle in that kind of environment..look whathappened to Argentina in La Paz, they got throttled 6-1...Bolivia is not that great of a squad, maybe not even on par with Costa Rica...the USNT has qualifiedfor the last 5 World Cups, so obviously they have done something right...they usually give a decent account of themselves when playing on neutral sites...anyteam can play better with tens of thousands of screaming fans at their back...the next step for the US is to win in that kind of atmosphere, especially againstthe lower rank that is Concacaf

South Africa was quite impressive today.

They can all handle the ball (granted, sometimes they dribble a little too much) very well and they're fast as hell. They tore through NZ with quick andsharp passes...and then they play the occasional long ball that you don't expect because you've been defending against wallpasses, sharp through balls,and overlaps.

Steven Pealar (sp) did whatever he wanted to do in the midfield today...he made it look easy.

If they could have finished the hundreds of chances they had in the second half, they could have surpassed Spain's total against NZ. To be honest, I'mreally lookin' forward to that matchup on Saturday. South Africa earned my respect today, but I wanna see how they hold up against the best...

Dunga may switch things around to combat the fatigue that the players were complaining about after the match vs. Egypt.

Back
Top Bottom