ESPN's 30 for 30 King's ransom tonight @ 8

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

"Kings Ransom" will be on tonight.
pimp.gif
i cant wait to watch this. glad hockey isn't being overlooked.

There's some stuff in there that I never knew occurred.

First, I didn't really know how much exactly the Kings gave up for Gretzky
eek.gif

And, how much Pocklington turned a country upside down with "The Trade".
Should be great, I will be watching when they re-air due to a Kings game tonight.
yeah same here. the whole phrase in the previews, "a country fails to protect its greatest asset" was something i had no idea of or evereven considered

I'll be watching this tonight.

The trial of Allen Iverson got pushed back to next year.

I'm really looking forward to the one about the two Escobars.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

not sure but espn has posted this blurb
On Valentine's Day 1993, 17-year-old Bethel High School basketball star Allen Iverson was bowling in Hampton, Va., with five high school friends. It was supposed to be an ordinary evening, but it became a night that defined Iverson's young life. A quarrel soon erupted into a brawl pitting Iverson's young black friends against a group of white patrons. The fallout from the fight and the handling of the subsequent trial landed the teenager-considered by some the nation's best high school athlete-in jail and sharply divided the city along racial lines. Oscar nominee Steve James ("Hoop Dreams") returns to his hometown of Hampton, where he once played basketball, to take a personal look at this still-disputed incident and examine its impact on Iverson and the shared community.

comparing it to hoop dreams
eek.gif

"Hoop Dreams" guy is doing the one on Iverson
pimp.gif

cant wait to see June 17, 1994, The Two Escobars, One Night In Vegas (Tyson/Tupac) and Jordan Rides the Bus

Steve Nash and Ice Cube also making films

Not a hockey fan but even I am watching this...

Always been fascinated by that trade and the reactions around the US over it....

Dope opening so far. Black on black RR w/Wayne walking in slo-mo.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

On Valentine's Day 1993, 17-year-old Bethel High School basketball star Allen Iverson was bowling in Hampton, Va., with five high school friends. It was supposed to be an ordinary evening, but it became a night that defined Iverson's young life. A quarrel soon erupted into a brawl pitting Iverson's young black friends against a group of white patrons. The fallout from the fight and the handling of the subsequent trial landed the teenager-considered by some the nation's best high school athlete-in jail and sharply divided the city along racial lines. Oscar nominee Steve James ("Hoop Dreams") returns to his hometown of Hampton, where he once played basketball, to take a personal look at this still-disputed incident and examine its impact on Iverson and the shared community.

eek.gif

Where does it say they're comparing it to Hoop Dreams? It's just the same director.

I expected a little more... But as a non-hockey fan, my word probably doesn't hold much weight.

Anyhow, is 99 an Oiler or a King?

I Missed "King's Ransom"

Doing Laundry FTL.

But, im not into hockey as much as others, but this story caught my eye cause i never heard of it, smh, but whats the backdrop of the story? Like thesignificance of the trade and everything around it?

that was dope as hell. never knew a lot of things about that trade and why it really went down. the thing i was wondering was they never really explained whypocklington needed the money. if you just won 4 out of the last 5 stanley cups, how would you need money?

Originally Posted by MBen32

But, im not into hockey as much as others, but this story caught my eye cause i never heard of it, smh, but whats the backdrop of the story? Like the significance of the trade and everything around it?
When I was in high school, a few years after the WG99 trade, this dude told me it was like the Bulls trading Jordan... but worse.

And at that time, Jordan was THE most popular athlete in the world.

So that pretty much put it into perspective for me.

Ever since then, I've always been intrigued by the events that led up to the trade.

Good program, kept me interested and I'm not a Hockey fan so it did its job. What's the next one?

Originally Posted by SHUGES

But, im not into hockey as much as others, but this story caught my eye cause i never heard of it, smh, but whats the backdrop of the story? Like the significance of the trade and everything around it?
When I was in high school, a few years after the WG99 trade, this dude told me it was like the Bulls trading Jordan... but worse.

Ever since then, I've always been intrigued by the events that led up to the trade.

The magnitude of the trade is the part that i understand. I don't follow hockey closely, but i know marquee players and i know what Gretzky was to thesport.

I think what i wanna know are those events that led to the trade happening.

Like, how does the sports biggest, greatest, most popular figure just get traded?

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by DubA169

eek.gif
Where does it say they're comparing it to Hoop Dreams? It's just the same director.

yeah I misread it, either way I meant comparing it quality wise. Hopefully the director does a great job again.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

The magnitude of the trade is the part that i understand. I don't follow hockey closely, but i know marquee players and i know what Gretzky was to the sport.

I think what i wanna know are those events that led to the trade happening.

Like, how does the sports biggest, greatest, most popular figure just get traded?

nerd.gif
Oh nah, I hear you. I had the same exact thoughts which is why I said that I have always been intrigued by the events leading up to the trade.

99 will always be an Oiler 1st to hockey enthusiast. A large part of what led up to the trade was Wayne had outgrown Edmonton (from a marketing standpoint).Ownership realized how big Wayne was for the sport and how he was the biggest bargaining chip the sport had ever seen. Ownership had an offer that no one couldrefuse.

Back
Top Bottom