End of the NBA regular season, who would you say are top 5 in the league?

I dont understand whats wrong having D12 in their 5s.

Hes the best "true center" out there.

You can insult his post game, say he can't hit FT, say he's too nice, say he stole Shaq's Superman image, say whatever you want... but the fact is he's the most dominant defensive player in the game right now. His presence in the paint completely changes the opposing team's offense. Leading the league in blocks, rebounding, and I know he was either leading in FG% or he ended up 2nd.

His post game has improved, he can get the baby hook with either hand, and can score in the paint. He isn't consistent enough of course and the offense doesn't depend and focus on him, but he isn't exactly Ben Wallace out there on offense, he can play.

And there's no sense in bringing up the 90s era centers and saying "If Dwight played then he'd be average", because we're not back in the 90s and Dwight is the best center in the league right now.

Originally Posted by JJ1223

roll.gif

Please stop with all these Dwight Howard answers, you cannot be serious

What's your reasoning for Dwight not being top 5?

Melo and Dirk= kobe this yr, I know people gonna say he has been injured but so what. I think he getting a automatic top 5 cause of his past rep

The difference is that before his injuries, Kobe was a lock for First Team All-NBA and the All-Defensive First Team (voters prefer stars to role players). So, my guess is that they're giving Kobe credit for his play when his injuries weren't having a serious effect on his play.

I'd wait 'til the end of the playoffs to rate my top 5. If OKC pushes the Lakers to 6, 7 games, or wins the series, he's top 5. If they push it to 6 or 7 because Kobe's playing horribly, he's not top 5. That doesn't mean that neither are top 5 next year, just not right now.

'Bron and Howard should be consensus top 5 players because there's little doubt they'll be there in the end (Conference Finals/Finals). Doubts exist for all of the other stars. For some, it's because of injuries. For others, it's because of the players that surround them. Many players are facing both of those issues so neither is a pass, but they're the factors that leave room for debate in positions 3-5 on a top 5 list.

In order

1. lebron (needs no explanation)

2. Dwight (impact only topped by lebron)

3.Durant (highly eff scoring)

4. Wade (started off slow but still showed the full all around game. )

5. KObe/Nash/Dirk/Melo (they were all around the same level to me)

What's funny to me is that I'm older than most people on this board and I always read crap about how stuff was in the 90's.

Like they were old enough to know what was going on.

Dwight Howard in ANY era would be a dominant defensive presence. If they didn't have these soft #+# "freedom of movement" , no hand check crap nowadays dude went even more beastly because he wouldn't have to worry about foul trouble as much.

Dude here kill me. Mark Eaton's slow tall #+# won a defense player of the year award back in the day but Dwight wouldn't? LOL

Call me crazy, but I can't put Dirk in my top 5.  Talented as hell yes, great statistical player yes, but I wouldn't even think about him if I were to pick one player to start a franchise with, even based on just this season's performance.  I've never thought he's championship cornerstone material.  Just doesn't impact both ends or create/make life easier for his teammates like others do.  My top 5:      
1. Lebron: Just a freak.  Period.  Should be the unanimous MVP and will rack up numerous more before its all said and done.

2. Kobe: Getting up there in age, but still probably the most all around skilled player on the planet.  He and Lebron are clearly the top 2 players today. 

3. Wade: Carries the Heat alone night after night.  Two-way force who's top 5 in scoring and steals, and still top 10 in assists.  May be the best off-ball defender in the league.  

4. Howard: The most dynamic defensive force in the league and its most physically overwhelming player.  Despite a raw offensive game he still demands attention there too.  He's 

Shaq for the next NBA generation. 

5. Durant: This spot is the toughest, but Durant gets it based on how scary good he became this year.  Then you realize he's only 21.  Only thing missing is a more all around non-scoring offensive game.   

Top 5 best has always been to vague for me.  Top 5 overall skill level?  Top 5 in impact?  Top 5 in offense/defense?

If I were to rank top 5 on the impact they have to their teams success, it would be:

1- D. Wade
2- Lebron
3- Durant
4- Kobe
5- Dirk

Keep in mind that my list ranks the players impact within the context of his team.

Originally Posted by dn0774

Maybe i'm still stuck in the past on this one but if I have to win 1 game and my life depends on it i'll take Tim Duncan somewhere in my 5 no question.

you are crazy.

anybody who puts tim duncan in their top 5 THIS YEAR  should no longer be able to post in the sports forum...

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Bron
Kobe
Durant
Wade
Melo/Dwight

The next five would contain the likes of Paul, Dirk, Duncan, Roy, Deron, Bosh, etc. (I know it's not five, but it's hard to pick IMO).

The top four really shouldn't be debatable. You don't take anyone over Bron, Kobe, or Durant. Melo or Dwight, it depends on what you want, but right now, after this year, I'm leaning towards Dwight, the Magic are damn good.

This man knows his NBA

Co-signing this...

Back
Top Bottom