E-mailing a resume... attachment or straight in the message?

thebachellor

Banned
Yea...

I'm applying for a job that only accepts resumes through e-mails. Just wondering if I should send it as an attatchment or put it straight in to themessage? I heard that attatchments were not the way to go, but i've formatted mine so it definately won't come out looking the same (or even good
smh.gif
)if I put it straight in the message.

What should I do?

Thanks.

i always attach, and always get callbacks

never even knew ppl put them inside the message

Why is attachment looked down upon? Is it the fact that it has to be downloaded and could hold a virus?

I would put it as an attachment. Sometimes when I open e-mails, the message gets re-formatted and comes out not the same as it was meant to be sent.

just do both but either way when it's time for the interview you're still gonna have to bring a hard copy

Originally Posted by deliSOLEous

I would put it as an attachment. Sometimes when I open e-mails, the message gets re-formatted and comes out not the same as it was meant to be sent.

agreed /thread

I usually send a part of my cover letter as the main text, then attach the full cover letter & full resume in whatever format they want (.pdf or .doc).

i work in the technology field, and have had success following either approach.

started out copying/pasting in the message, but moved on to attaching it in word format. these days, i just attach.

Yeah I always would attach it cause it's too informal if you just stick it in an email.

attach it. employers don't compare resumes over the computer monitor. they want to print it out (the way u have it formatted) PRINT IT OUT PRINT IT OUT ANDdid i mention PRINT IT OUT, put it in the stack of other resumes...and then evaluate who the best candidate(s) is/are for an interview based on the stack....

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

i always attach, and always get callbacks

never even knew ppl put them inside the message

Exactly. The resume is used not only to show your qualifications, but also your personality/style. Believe it or not, companies can- and WILL- judge youon the look of your resume alone.

Attach. I don't even think most jobs would take it seriously if it was just part of the text.

Plus you would be making more work for the HR people who are looking it over, thats not a good thing at all.

as a hiring manager, i accept it either way.

i would suggest adding it to the body of the message, but preface it saying that your resume is to follow.

Attachment bro. They dowload it and have it for your file and to review during the interview. Never message an email. Tacky

I used to work in the staffing industry. We would ONLY accept attached resumes so that we could send them to the employer or make any changes necessary.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Why is attachment looked down upon? Is it the fact that it has to be downloaded and could hold a virus?
yea, they're afraid it spread some type of virus and rightfully so. if they're expecting a resume from you put it as an attachment, if not itsoptional.

in the message
they wont bother if its an attachment
Do you apply for a lot of fast-food jobs via email?

It's not looked down upon. At least not by employers serious enough to scan an attachment before downloading it.

Seriously, what kind of jobs are people here applying for?

Back
Top Bottom