Dressing better

I went through a little fashion overhaul when I was in college as well. I figured since I was near graduation it was time to start dressing more respectably sopeople would take me seriously. There's nothing wrong with growing up a bit and starting to dress more like a man. I only have two tips of advice foranyone trying to do the same.

1.) Purchase clothing that actually fits your body. The oversized clothing was cool in high school and at the beginning of college but it really doesn'tfly after that.

2.) You don't have to spend a fortune to dress nice. The Gap, Banana, J Crew, and Express always have deals. You just need to look.

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

i think lebron might be one of the more style endowed in the NBA, in terms of the way he coordinates and how his clothes fit...

lebron-james.jpg
not yesterday.

What's a good brand of dress (sport) shirts that look good untucked? I've tried alot, and the Express 1 mx large fit perfectly, but they are toolong. Any help? Something that fits like them, but is shorter and looks good untucked.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by tml09

What's a good brand of dress (sport) shirts that look good untucked? I've tried alot, and the Express 1 mx large fit perfectly, but they are too long. Any help? Something that fits like them, but is shorter and looks good untucked.

Thanks again.
Hugo Boss fits me perfectly and I'm a thin dude.

I just went to Holt Renfrew and told the salesmen to set me up a change room with like 5-10 sport shirts in a med. they all worked

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

i think lebron might be one of the more style endowed in the NBA, in terms of the way he coordinates and how his clothes fit...
I love that coat. You know he was extra proud when he made the cover of GQ.

i mean who wouldnt though?
laugh.gif

What's a good brand of dress (sport) shirts that look good untucked? I've tried alot, and the Express 1 mx large fit perfectly, but they are too long. Any help? Something that fits like them, but is shorter and looks good untucked.

Thanks again.

how tall are you?

Originally Posted by THE ANOMOLIE

Im 6'1. Im and thinking about copping some Ralph Lauren Tee's. Whats a good size? XL?

I'd go 2X unless you want your belly button and crack coming out whenever you move your arms from your side

Originally Posted by FreezeTag

If your a struggling college student like most people, Banana Repulic and Macy's will kill your pockets. Don't be ashamed to try Old Navy or Gap, they have cheap nice clothes.

totally agree with it mang

great thread ...
eventually we grow up and this streetwear stuff just dont feel right on a daily basis, And when your dressed up , atleast for me ... I feel more confidentabout myself
only real piece of advice I can give is PLEASE buy pants your actually waist sz ... you can ruin the whole fit with your waist looking all wavy in that belt

one of the old work outfits I used to get alot of compliments on

l_484b763b45ab4bacb8b9a09bf6a462cb.jpg

As soon as I started dressing nicer, I got much more attention from WOMAN, and not girls. Im 24, btw.

Dressing cleaner, nicer ftw
pimp.gif

Oh ya, Huge Boss dress shirts > All (under $150 lol)

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Im 6'1. Im and thinking about copping some Ralph Lauren Tee's. Whats a good size? XL?

I'd go 2X unless you want your belly button and crack coming out whenever you move your arms from your side
eyes.gif

I'm 5'11 and a MEDIUM
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Baller23217

Thanks again.

how tall are you?

Last edited:

Thanks again.
Express 1MX shirts are not sport shirts. They're regular button ups meant to be tucked in, that's why they are long.

Try Hugo Boss like stated, my friend is kinda built like you, he's 6'' and is 160 lbs. They are pretty pricey though. My friend stocks up on themlike crazy when Nordy has their annual sales.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

eyes.gif

I'm 5'11 and a MEDIUM
laugh.gif
Word. I'm 5'10'' and I'm a small and medium. Going with a bigger size doesn't just increase in the length, but the widthas well. And if you're not fat, it's going to make you look bloated as hell.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

eyes.gif

I'm 5'11 and a MEDIUM
laugh.gif
Word. I'm 5'10'' and I'm a small and medium. Going with a bigger size doesn't just increase in the length, but the width as well. And if you're not fat, it's going to make you look bloated as hell.

I'm also 5'10" and I wear a small, custom fit, in POLO and it is still too big. If your buying an RL polo, it will be real long so do not worryabout it.

First off, how you dress is based on HOW YOU FEEL. Everyone is different; different sizes, different tastes, different income, etc.

As a college professor, I'm expected to dress nicely. But I HATE dressing up Farnsworth Bentley style, some people like it, I DON'T. It's not who Iam. I don't wear dressy shoes, I don't tuck any of shirts in, I don't wear slacks. I dress nicely, still comfortable, and still try to keep it hip.

First off, Old Navy is your best friend. I LOVE that store. So many nice things for a great price, especially in the clearance section. My sister (who's infashion design, she gives me a lot of ideas) says I'm a walking Old Navy billboard. Over 75% of my "work clothes" are all Old Navy.....no lie.

For shirts, I loaded up on all-white long-sleeve button-ups. They match with everything. I also have a bunch of solid colored button-up, both long andshort-sleeved. I mix it up by wearing some solid colored polo shirts. As mentioned previously, how it fits is super important. Not too baggy, not skin-tight:make sure it fits you!

I also loaded up on a bunch of vests, cardigans, sweater vests, and sweaters. Again, they match with all-white button-ups. I keep the the shirt un-tucked, withthe sweater/sweater vest over it. I'll also wear a necktie once in awhile with it LOOSELY tied.

For pants, I always rock jeans. I have different colors from dark to stone wash. Again, I'm not a super-dressy type of guy, so khakis/slacks aren't mything. I keep them loose: not baggy, but not tight. I have big thighs and butt (from all the squatting and sprints I do), so I need them loose to beCOMFORTABLE.

Lastly for kicks. AF1 and Chuck Taylors. That's it. All-white AF1's are THE BEST.....match with anything!! Whoever said Stan Smiths and Superstars islying (probably cuz I'm a Nike freak and will never wear another brand); all-white AF1's are the classiest out there.

Again this is MY style. I get complimented on a regular basis by other professors, secretaries, and even college students saying they like the way I dress.I've even noticed a few of my colleagues starting to dress the same way (and they're in the 40-50's, so it's pretty amusing). Once you find astyle you're comfortable and like, stick with it, no matter what anyone else tells you. Dressing is how you express yourself (isn't that what hip-hopis all about?). It always helps to get compliments, then you know you're doing an OK job at it. That pic of Jay-Z a few threads up is a lot like how Idress on a regular basis, but instead of an white-tee under the cardigan, I'll wear an all-white button up. And, I'd be caught dead wearing La-didasshoes like him.....all-white AF1's FTW!

Originally Posted by JJGRT5

Originally Posted by mynameaintG

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

I got only thing to say to you sir.

J.Crew.
QFT

All my dress/sport shirts are J.Crew....... J.Crew Washed Oxfords FTW
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
definitely got some good stuff

and like one poster mentioned, dont be afraid to go to ross/marshalls. not too many college students can afford to go to the expensive stores. and mostimportantly make sure it fits!

can someone rec me a good jacket? something casual, yet i can still wear to an interview

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

Most of this stuff in this thread is beyond wack, yall trying to hard. Just go to the gap and pick up a sweater and some chinos aint that hard, or just buy some clothes that fit. Yall don't got to be geared up like Sherlock holmes like some of these NTers

ok i got a few question how many inches should i go up from my body measurements for the best fit?

sicne i have a odd body shape wats the most important measurement or is it a combo of 2?(dress shirts and polos)

eyes.gif

I'm 5'11 and a MEDIUM
laugh.gif

If I'm wrong sue me but I'm going to do the stereotyping right here. I'm assuming your white and Datz is black cause most black catsI know that are 6'1 or taller definitely doing a xxl and vice versa.

As a college professor, I'm expected to dress nicely. But I HATE dressing up Farnsworth Bentley style, some people like it, I DON'T. It's not who I am. I don't wear dressy shoes, I don't tuck any of shirts in, I don't wear slacks. I dress nicely, still comfortable, and still try to keep it hip.
Gotta agree most cats that dressing like that doing cause they couldn't get chicks to notice them before but if it helps with the ladiesI'm all for it. The only thing I don't like is when cats act like if you not dressing like them its garbage, your immature, etc. As long as youpaying bills, taking care of your kids(those that have them), and doing your other manly duties you good in my book even if you wearing 4x tall t's orjeans tight enough to see your blood flowing.

As soon as I started dressing nicer, I got much more attention from WOMA EN, and not girls. Im 24, btw.

Dressing cleaner, nicer Getting ladies ftw
pimp.gif

Fixed for truth
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Baller23217

Thanks again.

how tall are you?

I'm 6'2 and 165 lbs
(lost around 20 lbs in the past few months, now I'm going to the gym 3 times a week to lift)

I'm 6' and I just picked up some Express mx1 modern fit shirts and I don't feel like they're too long...

Back
Top Bottom