Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anyone ever order from the Chinese eBay power sellers? I see they have tapered sweats for 10 bucks

I ordered one of those knock-off olloclip lenses for my iPhone from a Chinese seller on eBay. Just be prepared to wait, I don't think I got the item until 2-3 weeks after I placed the order. They usually put in the item description that it will take that long to ship anyway.

If it goes through China post, then it has to go through the process of being shipped to the US then it gets handed off to USPS to deliver to your door.

Thanks Serg, any recommendations? Last time I asked about pants I needed them in a hurry so grabbed a wool blend from BR when they went on sale, they look nice now that I got them tailored. I want to try a different brand though, something a bit more quality than BR. Not really looking to spend over 100 like HY or Epaulet though
I like Gap Tailored Trousers, have a navy and charcoal in those, and frankly if you are going to be rotating them and not wearing them more than once a week I would look at H&M and even JCP. JCP had some really great flannel trousers for cheap so if you live in a cold weather state those would come in handy too. I'd go as far as saying if you are looking into buying a suit; a navy and/or gray suit, go with a wool one in each and that way you can double the trousers and jackets as separates.
He asks for pants better than BR quality...then you recommend him Gap? The brand that's intentionally made to be not as good as BR? Then you move even further down to H&M and finally end up at JC Penney's?

???
laugh.gif

try club monaco. they have free shipping with no limit right now. they have some cheap pants on sale.

or Brooks brothers Milano Fit (their slimmest I believe)
A while ago, sartega also said that cotton was better choice over wool for an all year round suit or something also those lines 
mean.gif

A while ago, sartega also said that cotton was better choice over wool for an all year round suit or something also those lines 
mean.gif
Lightweight wool is the best for year round fabric, hopsack is great as well though pricier.

I don't have cotton jackets as I really dislike them. The only one I will have will be the camo, but it's not a typical cotton twill. The hand is quite great.

Today:

Cool interview with Fok, co-founder of StyleForum: http://www.keikari.com/english/interview-with-fok-yan-leung/

I ordered one of those knock-off olloclip lenses for my iPhone from a Chinese seller on eBay. Just be prepared to wait, I don't think I got the item until 2-3 weeks after I placed the order. They usually put in the item description that it will take that long to ship anyway.

If it goes through China post, then it has to go through the process of being shipped to the US then it gets handed off to USPS to deliver to your door.

sheesh

My friend got lucky and paid $80, was probably a cashier mistake or something.. but I paid $160.. at a DSW in NY, it should also be online as well.

I just saw those same exact shoes at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Definitely a good deal at $80.

mean.gif

Incorrect actually. I said the wool was better for year round but I did mention to someone who asked about wool vs cotton that if he lives in a hot year round environment like Florida, Georgia, etc. that a cotton suit could very well work year round. Considering that my one major suit purchase from Michael Andrews Bespoke was a year round WOOL suit, I don't know why I would suggest to someone to go with cotton. Please read what I write before stating what I did say. I don't mean to sound or be a jerk but in general I don't like anyone saying what I said and then it being incorrect.

If I recall it was someone asking between a few suits from Express. I suggested the cotton only and only if he was in a hot weather climate year round and even then I still suggested to get a lightweight wool for year-round. Cotton is never a better choice for year round, the draping isn't as great, it doesn't hold up as well to year round wear and the fabric depending on the thickness and even then screams, spring and summer.

That's exactly how I remember it Serg. He was deciding between the cotton or wool photographer in navy. Keep in mind guys, wool does not necessarily mean thick winter/fall fabrics. Wool is also the material used in your "normal" suits.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I remember it Serg. He was deciding between the cotton or wool photographer in navy. Keep in mind guys, wool does not necessarily mean thick winter/fall fabrics. Wool is also the material used in your "normal" suits.

Yeap their are different weight wools. My bespoke suit is a 8 or 9oz weight for that year round ability. The pictures from TSB, I was wearing it at the end of June in the summer and didn't feel warm in it. Granted I add the waistcoat to it and I have a 3 piece suit that is still thick enough with all 3 pieces together for a fall day in NYC, add a coat over it and I have a suit for the winter.

mean.gif
Incorrect actually. I said the wool was better for year round but I did mention to someone who asked about wool vs cotton that if he lives in a hot year round environment like Florida, Georgia, etc. that a cotton suit could very well work year round. Considering that my one major suit purchase from Michael Andrews Bespoke was a year round WOOL suit, I don't know why I would suggest to someone to go with cotton. Please read what I write before stating what I did say. I don't mean to sound or be a jerk but in general I don't like anyone saying what I said and then it being incorrect.

If I recall it was someone asking between a few suits from Express. I suggested the cotton only and only if he was in a hot weather climate year round and even then I still suggested to get a lightweight wool for year-round. Cotton is never a better choice for year round, the draping isn't as great, it doesn't hold up as well to year round wear and the fabric depending on the thickness and even then screams, spring and summer.
http://niketalk.com/t/500141/dressing-better-vol-2-0/22110#post_17838914

you said cotton is decently thick and should serve him well year round

didn't even mention wool in the post

Notice how I said this because of it being navy and because he asked if it would serve him year round, which is why I said if he adds the waistcoat it should. Never said the cotton was better than wool either. Misunderstanding on both our parts, not trying to hate but I never mentioned that cotton was better than wool just that cotton could serve him year round if he went with navy and a waistcoat.

Edit: Please check your PM, lets keep it civil.

Last edited:
Biggest waist size will have bigger leg openings.

That said, 7.5 leg opening on sz 12 shoes is too tapered imo.

And to the guy asking about material for suits, wool > cotton

Quote:

Hey guys, I'm trying to buy my first suit. I want something dark (black, navy blue), so I can wear it for kinds of formal occasions. $300 is my budget; is that enough for a good quality suit? Which places should I look?

I've found a couple from Express. What do you think?
http://www.express.com/mobile/clothing/Stretch+Wool+Photographer+Suit+-+Black/sec/cat360011
http://www.express.com/mobile/clothing/Cotton+Photographer+Suit/sec/cat700002

Also, which is more preferable? Cotton or wool? First link is wool, second is cotton.

Thanks!

Go with Navy, the navy is just much more versatile than black. You can break it up into separates from the trousers to the jacket and if you choose too, even the waistcoat. I think cotton one will work year round especially if you get the waistcoat as it can serve as an extra layer for warmth. It seems that the cotton is decently thick and should serve you well year round as long as you're not wearing it in the east coast during the winter.

Ayyy

Last edited:

Notice how I said this because of it being navy and because he asked if it would serve him year round, which is why I said if he adds the waistcoat it should. Never said the cotton was better than wool either. Misunderstanding on both our parts, not trying to hate but I never mentioned that cotton was better than wool just that cotton could serve him year round if he went with navy and a waistcoat.

Edit: Please check your PM, lets keep it civil.

The guy asked whether cotton or wool is more preferable. He said nothing about wearing it year round, so I don't know where you're pulling that out from. He specifically said that he wanted to wear the suit for formal occasions as well. Do you really think that a cotton suit is appropriate for formal occasions?

You told him to buy a cotton suit instead of a wool suit because he could wear it year round. You recommended the cotton suit over the wool suit.

Why do we have to take any criticism to PMs? I think this thread can handle some criticism and could very much benefit from it.

Dang, even the model pictures look bad. Well, if you want a looser or more traditional fit, they're alright I suppose. If you're in a good physical shape, I would opt for a more modern fit.

The pro about buying the suit you want OTR (off the rack) is that you already have a good picture of how the suit fits you. You can make minor adjustments like shortening the inseam, sleeve length, etc.

The con about doing a MTM suit like SuitSupply is that you really need to take accurate measurements from the start. Even so, the suit will probably not be perfect like you see in their official pictures. This is why bespoke suits have multiple fittings. Time may be an issue if you don't have ample time to plan and account for everything. There is also a limitation for MTM suit since it is based off one pattern with adjustments. It's not like bespoke, where the pattern is drafted for your physique.

usually i suit up to shoot weddings, but i decided to go more casual to the last one, felt much more comfy and people were digging the photog :pimp: people actually complimented the holster...such a well 200$ spent....btw bros, dont sleep on Jcrews short sleeve button downs..

had to blur my clients faces, dont want to broadcast them on here.

Just how big are you? How soon do you need the suit? Go cheap if you plan on losing weight.
My chest measured 50. I'm a 38 Waist, 5'11.

The wedding is July 6th. I'll probably drop mid-section weight but my chesticles stay wide and I have a wide back.
Dang, even the model pictures look bad. Well, if you want a looser or more traditional fit, they're alright I suppose. If you're in a good physical shape, I would opt for a more modern fit.

The pro about buying the suit you want OTR (off the rack) is that you already have a good picture of how the suit fits you. You can make minor adjustments like shortening the inseam, sleeve length, etc.

The con about doing a MTM suit like SuitSupply is that you really need to take accurate measurements from the start. Even so, the suit will probably not be perfect like you see in their official pictures. This is why bespoke suits have multiple fittings. Time may be an issue if you don't have ample time to plan and account for everything. There is also a limitation for MTM suit since it is based off one pattern with adjustments. It's not like bespoke, where the pattern is drafted for your physique.
I'm "husky", 5'11, 240-260 depending on my activity. I have a solid but, wide chest and back. I tried a 48 and it fits ok but the shoulders were tight. I tried a 52 in another suit and it was tighter than the 48.

I was thinking of going to a tailor and seeing if they can recommend something for me.

Last edited:
if you want a well fitting suit, you have NO option but to go the tailor route or have one made from scratch to your specific measurements.

if you want a well fitting suit, you have NO option but to go the tailor route or have one made from scratch to your specific measurements.
The advice from another member was going the indochino route.

I'm in L.A., and have no idea who is a reputable tailor in a city full of "reputable" tailors.

Yelp gave me a few options but I want firsthand experiences from NTers whose word goes farther IMO.

My chest measured 50. I'm a 38 Waist, 5'11.

The wedding is July 6th. I'll probably drop mid-section weight but my chesticles stay wide and I have a wide back.

I'm "husky", 5'11, 240-260 depending on my activity. I have a solid but, wide chest and back. I tried a 48 and it fits ok but the shoulders were tight. I tried a 52 in another suit and it was tighter than the 48.

I was thinking of going to a tailor and seeing if they can recommend something for me.
What's your budget? Brooks Bros is also an option for more classical aka looser fit. I don't think the likes of Suit Supply will do you well since they're catered towards the younger and skinnier crowd. I'm 5'9" and at my heaviest weight I was 220 lbs. It was a pain finding jackets that fit properly.

If you want to go otr, make sure the shoulders actually fit you and you can button the buttons properly and comfortably. The shoulders are the most imperative aspect since they are very costly to alter and unless you have a superlative jacket, it's not worth it.

The advice from another member was going the indochino route.

I'm in L.A., and have no idea who is a reputable tailor in a city full of "reputable" tailors.

Yelp gave me a few options but I want firsthand experiences from NTers whose word goes farther IMO.
Didn't I suggest Mr. Lee already? I'm not sure if it was you or another person asking. He does suiting as well but quite pricey since everything is done in his shop. He is in the West Side across from the Grove and Samy's Camera.

Also, don't mistake MTM for bespoke. Huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom