Dressing Better Vol 2.0

with the measurements you just gave I find it hard to believe youll find a top that'll fit good OTR, it might fit your chest and shoulders which is important, but the sleeves will probably be too long and so will the jacket, you being 5'11

Didn't I suggest Mr. Lee already? I'm not sure if it was you or another person asking. He does suiting as well but quite pricey since everything is done in his shop. He is in the West Side across from the Grove and Samy's Camera.

Also, don't mistake MTM for bespoke. Huge difference.
Yeah, I remember Mr. Lee. I want more than one option for $$$ purposes.
What's your budget? Brooks Bros is also an option for more classical aka looser fit. I don't think the likes of Suit Supply will do you well since they're catered towards the younger and skinnier crowd. I'm 5'9" and at my heaviest weight I was 220 lbs. It was a pain finding jackets that fit properly.

If you want to go otr, make sure the shoulders actually fit you and you can button the buttons properly and comfortably. The shoulders are the most imperative aspect since they are very costly to alter and unless you have a superlative jacket, it's not worth it.
I was actually heading to BB this week cause they have 52R jackets
laugh.gif

I know 1 thing. I dont want to look like a walking box. Whenever I had to rent a suit or tux I always had the feeling of wearing shoulder pads.

WIll BB offer tailoring so it fits a lil more fit?

usually i suit up to shoot weddings, but i decided to go more casual to the last one, felt much more comfy and people were digging the photog :pimp: people actually complimented the holster...such a well 200$ spent....btw bros, dont sleep on Jcrews short sleeve button
Their short sleeves are ok if you can get them for a decent discount. At retail, it's pricey factoring in they don't even use quality buttons. I bought the blue Oxford one a week or two ago. Pattern fits quite nicely and 30% off made it a buy.

Yeah, I remember Mr. Lee. I want more than one option for $$$ purposes.

I was actually heading to BB this week cause they have 52R jackets :lol:

I know 1 thing. I dont want to look like a walking box. Whenever I had to rent a suit or tux I always had the feeling of wearing shoulder pads.

WIll BB offer tailoring so it fits a lil more fit?
Yes, Brooks Bros stores have an in house tailor. I assume you mean the actual stores on Rodeo and Culver City and not the outlets. Very nice folks working at both branches from my experience.

Their short sleeves are ok if you can get them for a decent discount. At retail, it's pricey factoring in they don't even use quality buttons. I bought the blue Oxford one a week or two ago. Pattern fits quite nicely and 30% off made it a buy.

got mines for 15% OFF plus the 25$ giftcard they send every now and then, total was 40$

Yes, Brooks Bros stores have an in house tailor. I assume you mean the actual stores on Rodeo and Culver City and not the outlets. Very nice folks working at both branches from my experience.
The century city one is the one I'll be going to.

Thanks.

got mines for 15% OFF plus the 25$ giftcard they send every now and then, total was 40$

I would have to agree with dubjay. Jcrew is way too expensive for what your get, IMO. Looking at your pics they are very flattering on you. They just dont do it for me. I have tried multiple times and never excited about the purchase. My next try will be an Ludlow suit.

Anybody know how to turn a long sleeve button up shirt into a short sleeve?

I took one to a tailor and she didn't have any problem doing it. Just cut the sleeves basically and sewed em back up. There might be a better/more complicated way but it worked well for me and the new short-sleeve version fits well.

The guy asked whether cotton or wool is more preferable. He said nothing about wearing it year round, so I don't know where you're pulling that out from. He specifically said that he wanted to wear the suit for formal occasions as well. Do you really think that a cotton suit is appropriate for formal occasions?

You told him to buy a cotton suit instead of a wool suit because he could wear it year round. You recommended the cotton suit over the wool suit.

Why do we have to take any criticism to PMs? I think this thread can handle some criticism and could very much benefit from it.

I was trying to keep it civil and handle a thread derailment over PM, clearly that's too much for some people here. It is what it is.

Dang, even the model pictures look bad. Well, if you want a looser or more traditional fit, they're alright I suppose. If you're in a good physical shape, I would opt for a more modern fit.

The pro about buying the suit you want OTR (off the rack) is that you already have a good picture of how the suit fits you. You can make minor adjustments like shortening the inseam, sleeve length, etc.

The con about doing a MTM suit like SuitSupply is that you really need to take accurate measurements from the start. Even so, the suit will probably not be perfect like you see in their official pictures. This is why bespoke suits have multiple fittings. Time may be an issue if you don't have ample time to plan and account for everything. There is also a limitation for MTM suit since it is based off one pattern with adjustments. It's not like bespoke, where the pattern is drafted for your physique.

Bespoke=time consuming, expensive but well worth it but the biggest con TIME CONSUMING! 2 months and still waiting for a waistcoat.

What's your budget? Brooks Bros is also an option for more classical aka looser fit. I don't think the likes of Suit Supply will do you well since they're catered towards the younger and skinnier crowd. I'm 5'9" and at my heaviest weight I was 220 lbs. It was a pain finding jackets that fit properly.

If you want to go otr, make sure the shoulders actually fit you and you can button the buttons properly and comfortably. The shoulders are the most imperative aspect since they are very costly to alter and unless you have a superlative jacket, it's not worth it.

SuitSupply could work for him actually but only if he can make his way into a store. The one in New York has sizing up to a size 54 or 56 which is rare regardless of where you go. Granted the selection wasn't as vast as size 46/48 and down but they had basic like navy's and grays. I don't remember which one had a looser fit but I can find out for him, I did recommend Indochino to him due to his chest size and the difficult of probably finding something OTR. When I went to SuitSupply I was a 46R in one of their fits but a 44S in another one. I have the email of one of the sales associates so I can shoot him one. I'll PM him to see if he doesn't mind sending some pictures and measurements my way...so that the he doesn't have to post anything in here about specific measurements.

usually i suit up to shoot weddings, but i decided to go more casual to the last one, felt much more comfy and people were digging the photog :pimp: people actually complimented the holster...such a well 200$ spent....btw bros, dont sleep on Jcrews short sleeve button

I would rather go the Uniqlo route for short sleeved oxfords. $29 ftw. I also really want a navy polka dot short sleeve and I found one on Asos that I liked. J Crew is overpriced

The guy asked whether cotton or wool is more preferable. He said nothing about wearing it year round, so I don't know where you're pulling that out from. He specifically said that he wanted to wear the suit for formal occasions as well. Do you really think that a cotton suit is appropriate for formal occasions?

You told him to buy a cotton suit instead of a wool suit because he could wear it year round. You recommended the cotton suit over the wool suit.

Why do we have to take any criticism to PMs? I think this thread can handle some criticism and could very much benefit from it.

I was trying to keep it civil and handle a thread derailment over PM, clearly that's too much for some people here. It is what it is.

Hmmm...

No offense but it sounds more like you're trying to skirt the issue because you got "called out" (which wasn't really necessary anyway, that poster seemed determined to show you'd been wrong). You'd be better off just saying you messed up and clearly cotton is not as versatile as wool, climate and other factors included, rather than trying to pretend like you didn't write what you did.

All things considered, it's not a big deal. I just find it funny when someone's like, "That's not what I said"...Well, it's here in writing..."But, uh, that's not how I meant it"...

Anybody know how to turn a long sleeve button up shirt into a short sleeve?

I took one to a tailor and she didn't have any problem doing it. Just cut the sleeves basically and sewed em back up. There might be a better/more complicated way but it worked well for me and the new short-sleeve version fits well.

I'm assuming the same can be done for pants into shorts? Saw a pair of duck camos at Pacsun (yeah I know) and I thought they would look interesting as shorts

My Charles Tyrwhitt shirts finally came in today, really happy with it...sides could be taken in a little more but the quality is great. Glad I jumped on that sale

My Charles Tyrwhitt shirts finally came in today, really happy with it...sides could be taken in a little more but the quality is great. Glad I jumped on that sale

Did you get slim fit or extra slim fit? And how long did it take to receive your order?

Did you get slim fit or extra slim fit? And how long did it take to receive your order?

I got the extra slim fits, 3 of them (2 white, one blue)...and it took about 2 weeks I think I ordered mine on the 7th of may...great deal though :smokin

Back
Top Bottom