Dressing Better Vol 2.0

What's the gripe about square toes?

I'm still in the process of redoing my wardrobe and have been looking to get a pair of decent dress shoes. Been looking at cap toe balmorals and the like. I admit I do prefer the look of oxfords, but I see a lot of you guys expressing disdain for square toed shoes.

I wouldn't even know square toe shoes weren't in style until this thread. I used to think the really pointy shoes looked dumb.

Pretty much frowned upon in many circles, don't know the best analogy to use but I would say it's something you discover when you actually begin to make an effort to "dress better" (-for lack of a better name :lol:).

Sadly, most squared toe shoes are bargains to the casual consumer, and they get scooped up because frankly when you don't "dress up" consistently you only have those for emergencies such as weddings, funerals, court dates or those couple nights a year where you go to a club that requires a dress code.

They are ugly, ruin the aesthetic of a nice outfit. Makes it look like you have a club foot. Look at all your sneakers, how many of them have a square toe? Why would you want that with your dress shoes when there are so many beautiful, yet a tad more expensive, round toe dress shoes.

A co-worker of mine asked me the other day for advice on dress shoes because he was in the market for a new pair. First thing I asked was, "what's your budget?", to which he responded: "$35-50". In my mind it was ":stoneface: ", but that is the mind set that most people have, even though his pair would've been used about four days a week. For the record, he was replacing a pair of Steve Madden's that were peeling (Ex. You get what you pay for.).

I schooled him a bit, told him to stay away from square toes (enter dumbfounded look), and went over tiers ($75-150: Cole Haan, AE Seconds; $200+ type shoes). Told him to save some shekles and buy a better pair of shoes. He asked me about my shoes, Park Avenues, and how much they cost. When I told him what they cost, jaw dropped. Led him to shoebank and even though their seconds were marked down to $130 still found it expensive. Led him to Zappos and 6pm. You can guide a horse to water... well you know how that goes.

Dress shoes are an investment, dudes steady dropping $200+ on sneakers but can't see themselves dropping more than $50 on a decent pair of dress shoes.

thanks man. and +1 on that god no for those shoes...side profile didn't look crazy bad but from the front...that's not slight squaring bruh.

this is the only acceptable way to have "squared" shoes imo
That's called chisel and its a handsome last indeed.

clarks mali low, only made for supreme. clarks should make these part of their regular lineup, clean lowtop would sell like gangbusters. I want a pair but not at supreme prices

Today:

It started hailing in my area. Going to buy an AWD car tomorrow.

On a slightly diff topic: I had a phone interview today for a potential job. This job is a bit farther away, about 15 miles more each way, which was alright. The pay was going to be $15k/year higher, which was alright..though I can always use more $$ than that. But I found out everyone has dress code, even management...company polos and approved shoes, which are square-ish safety shoes...that was when I passed on the job mentally :lol:

DB fam i need some help...

see im from the bay area (Cali). Next week (mon-thur) i will be in Bethesda, Maryland.

I have never traveled to the east coast so i dont know the weather. I hopefully will be indoors most of the time at the NIH, but when im out i dont know what to wear or take!

i literally dont have any type of jackets, but a suit jacket ...

i have a bubble vest... and sweaters,hoodies,cardigans, and scarves...

should i rock some thermal pants under my regular pants?

where can i get a jacket for on top just in case it rains ?

mind you i really dont have much money since i just bought my flight ticket... (kind of an emergency thing)

what sort of shoes do i even wear? can i wear clark DB? or will they be ruined?
(clarks are the only type of boot i have )

i just realized that alot of my shoes that arent "dressy" are cloth, like vans...

Last edited:
dude do yourself a favor and get yourself a coat, the east has been really cold lately....layer up aswell.

dude do yourself a favor and get yourself a coat, the east has been really cold lately....layer up aswell.

that's putting it lightly lol...I know we've gotten around 8-10 inches of snow up here just today. Bring some rubber soled shoes that will keep your feet warm and dry, assuming it's snowing.

see im from the bay area (Cali). Next week (mon-thur) i will be in Bethesda, Maryland.

I have never traveled to the east coast so i dont know the weather. I hopefully will be indoors most of the time at the NIH, but when im out i dont know what to wear or take!

mind you i really dont have much money since i just bought my flight ticket... (kind of an emergency thing)

i just realized that alot of my shoes that arent "dressy" are cloth, like vans...

yea, buy a coat. A lot of brands are putting their outerwear on sale now because the spring season is coming out soon, so you should be able to get a good deal if you look. I'd def get a coat. If you wear thin pants u might need thermals but if you wear wool pants or thick denim you can get away with no thermals, it is really up to the individual and how their body temp adapts

Lemme' know if you need some tips on what to do in Bethesda.

I have a question in regards to tees/undershirts. I wanted opinions on what the best plain white and black crew/vneck? Something without a deep V and fits well. Thanks

Lemme' know if you need some tips on what to do in Bethesda.
Theres stuff to do in Bethesda lol. Beezy what are you doing at NIH? I start a new job next week and they have me doing contracting work for NIH starting the following week.

^so rounding up since you are 7.5 would be an 8 since CP doesnt do half sizes. 8 = 41EU. as opposed to sizing down 1 like most do in CPs to a 40 you went down 2. of course they will be tight

Today:

I now have on a red beanie to hide the 'flathead' from visiting the dentist :lol:

Back
Top Bottom