Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I'm down for that challenge as well, though I had the next several lined up already. I was going to take baby steps, but either way I'm game. My next challenge was to suggest dressing up denim instead of the typical 'hypebeast' New Era cap, t shirt, saggy jeans route. Nonetheless, I'm always in if I can.

Broke out new trousers today:

Where do you guys stand on jeans length? Should they stop right at the top of your shoe, or be long enough that they can be cuffed?

I just bought a pair of perfectly tailored (to my size -- 32 x 30) camo jeans that sit right at the top of the shoe and I'm debating getting a 32 x 32 so i can cuff them on my sneakers (i'm almost certain i'd wear these mostly with sneakers.)

what do you guys think? should jeans have some break/be cuffed or should they fit perfectly?
EDIT

never mind, they look off baggy.  these are the pants.  found a pic on the net.  dockers alpha khaki.

dockers-alpha-khaki-camo-00.jpg

I'm not tryna end up looking like hov

jay-z-givenchy-fall-winter-2012-Apache-Print-T-shirt2.jpg

For myself, it depends on the pair. I have pants tailored to the perfect inseam length with little to no break which is what I prefer and jeans that are a couple inches longer to cuff or stack. I think some jeans can look a little odd with no break at all. I also have some chinos and even slim cords that I roll up/do small cuffs on and they show a lot more ankle or sock. It's about casual vs. dressy for me. Also, hem opening is a factor.

In terms of camo pants (they make camo jeans? pics?), I might wear them a little longer because they're casual to me but I'd definitely prefer the length on the model to Jay Z. Might be the shoes but his look worse with the sloppy wizard's sleeve (:nerd:) bunching at the bottom.

Last edited:
RE: length of jeans, I have my dress pair of jeans that are of proper length. I have a couple pairs of jeans that are 2" longer for a bit of stacking for casual wear.

still need those docker alpha khakis in camo.

i know like 50 pages back one of you guys scooped at UO.

Anywhere else they can be found preferably with a discy?

hahaha, denim and camo eh?
well this is my entry for the current sneaker challenge..

srsly did wear this today :wow:

Last edited:
Reactions: wj4
Alright gents,
I've strictly been a dry clean all my dress shirts type dude. Just don't want to mess with messing them up in the washing machine/dryer, plus the hassle of ironing, :smh:
However, I'm leaning towards giving it a shot since all shirts have the same directions (Wash warm, tumble dry low). Pretty easy, just don't want to fade them. Also how big of a pain in the *** would it be to iron after.
Does it wear out the collar faster?

Invest in a steamer, I got a pretty nice ConAir one from Bed, Bath & Beyond for about $40-50 with their 20% off mailer. The reviews aren't great on it from what I've read but honestly I've never had a problem with it.

id continue dry cleaning them, ironing is a huge pain in the *** and they hold up much better when you dry clean.

not true steezy, the chemicals that are usually used in dry cleaning usually do more harm to the fabric and usually wears it down faster. I remember one of the first things that was said to me when I got my bespoke shirt was "don't dry clean it, just wash it and press it."

Only iron a shirt if you starch it. Starching and steamer, doesn't work, must iron.

can you use a steamer on all clothing or just specific items?

I use it with pretty much everything. From shirts to trousers, to ties, to pocket squares. I've even steamed wrinkles out of my wife's dresses.

You guys do know that most dry cleaners follow what is written on the tag unless you specifically mention it to them to dry clean them, right? This is one of the first things I ask dry cleaners before I give them my business.

how about a camo challenge or vest challenge?

if vest, down vest or are dress vest applicable? In regards to camo, I'm down, it'll be fun to incorporate it into a professional setting while still keeping it professional. I bought the one from Michael's and boy is that thing too big, need to probably cut it and re-sew it.

RE: length of jeans, I have my dress pair of jeans that are of proper length. I have a couple pairs of jeans that are 2" longer for a bit of stacking for casual wear.

This. The dress pair of jeans should fit in terms of length, width of legs, etc. like your dress trousers. I have about 2 like this, cut at a length that I can wear with wingtips to loafers with no socks and show just enough ankle. The rest are about 1-1.5 inches longer.

you guys cold wash your dresh shirts?

I always follow the instructions on the tag. Usually cold wash for mine.

thanks for the clarification Serg....I honestly dont own high quality dress shirts and it just seems like my shirts hold up better when i dry clean them as opposed to when i washed them...plus i dont have to iron....lol

I cold wash my dress shirts and have my wife iron them. Cruel I know. But the labor isn't cheap trust me. Lol
I dry clean them only when I know I have a tough stain or if I forget to treat the neck.

thanks for the clarification Serg....I honestly dont own high quality dress shirts and it just seems like my shirts hold up better when i dry clean them as opposed to when i washed them...plus i dont have to iron....lol

I was actually surprised when they told me that, as I was planning on getting the shirt dry cleaned every time because it was bespoke. High quality or not, especially in regards to cotton the chemicals will eventually reek havoc apparently.

Honestly, get the steamer it'll make your life so much easier, from shirts to trousers. My wife and I accustom steaming our clothing for the week on Sunday, and they stay wrinkle-free for the week, granted we hang the clothing in our other closet to avoid wrinkles.

I cold wash my dress shirts and have my wife iron them. Cruel I know. But the labor isn't cheap trust me. Lol
I dry clean them only when I know I have a tough stain or if I forget to treat the neck.

Same regarding a tough stain. May be a tip to save you some money as it's actually cleaned even some of my shirts that had some stains in the neck for months-Oxy Clean. I have the spray, bought it for about $3 at Target, I spray it on the neck, rub it together and throw it in the wash and gets all the stains out.

Last edited:
you guys cold wash your dresh shirts?
Yep. Never put them in the dryer though. I hang dry and use the steamer to rid the wrinkles. At $4/shirt, it'd be very costly to dry clean them. I dry clean my trousers and fine knits though.

Last edited:
You guys do know that most dry cleaners follow what is written on the tag unless you specifically mention it to them to dry clean them, right? This is one of the first things I ask dry cleaners before I give them my business.

Yes, I know the cleaner I've been going to the past 3-4 years does this, so I'm actually afraid I'll fade out my shirts faster than they will.

I'm really more worried about the collars and honestly the ironing/pressing/steaming which can be a chore. I guess I'm paying for convenience, :lol: Luckily, the future "wife" is very homely. ddot, I see you, :nerd:... :lol:

When I worked at NTLA, one of the managers threw out a steamer that needed minor fixing. Been using it since with no issues (*Ever try to iron a dri-fit polo :smh:). Might need to replace it soon, but it's doing the job.

back on the sneaker theme....anywho, we should think of a new challenge...lol

this should be your #2 go to color as far as suits go, imo
Navy blue - versatile
Charcoal - yambs magnet, werd to Mr. Grey and Bond
Black - CLASSY
GQ inspired with the vest layering...
8186755830_e9cd6592c1_b.jpg
My dude steez.
pimp.gif

On the real though, is this a "wearable" outfit? That just looks too bulky/uncomfortable. Im guessing if someone were to do this they would need to size up on the jacket.

I've got the alpha docker khakis in camo.

For the person that asked it's a weird fabric, I like them tho. Heads up they run short, tight and are sort of tapered.. Couldn't find 32/32 online so I went for 33/32 and that ran small.

Anyone know where I can find some Quality tri blend regular shirts? I bought sole bdg tri blend shirts and I ******g love them, the problem is that just a drop of sweat and I got a sweat stain... Help a dude out! Also looking for a pair of coffee/caramel/brown suede dressing shoes(pref. Loafers+monk strap)

Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom