Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Speaking of J. Crew factory stuff, I wore a tie I picked up there a couple of years today:

Where do you gentleman purchase your socks?

I am looking for socks with multiple stripes and colors. I know GAP has a few pair, but I was interested in some alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking for socks with multiple stripes and colors. I know GAP has a few pair, but I was interested in some alternatives.
Thanks in advance.
nerd.gif
. express has 4 pairs for 25. not sure how the quality is though. i bought from target ($3 a pair) and it was terrible. even socks need to be high quality these days...

+ socks that last a while.. I've gone through 10 pairs of Happy Socks over the past 2 yrs, casually wearing them and they all have holes in them now. Love the designs, but the quality is ****e, same for H&M.

:nerd: . express has 4 pairs for 25. not sure how the quality is though. i bought from target ($3 a pair) and it was terrible. even socks need to be high quality these days...

Disagree, I have a handful from both Target and H&M and they're still going strong. Probably have had some for over a year now too.

As far as mall brands go I like BR and J. Crew socks when they're on sale. They hold up well. I agree Happy Socks suck. They fade and shrink so much, too bad too because I like the colors/patterns.

I pick random places. Last set I picked up were from Urban Outfitters. I could really care less about sock quality. I guess since I only pay a max of 3 bucks a pair. I really don't expect them to last past a year. I treat socks like underwear/undershirts and change as often as needed.

Last edited:
Disagree, I have a handful from both Target and H&M and they're still going strong. Probably have had some for over a year now too.
do you feel uncomfortable when you put them on? i feel like the inside stitching is very poorly done and makes my leg/feet itch which is very uncomfortable when i wear it. also the thread seems very thin as if it is going to cause a hole very quickly

How many inches wide are lapels on the Thompson suit and their widest point?

Thanks!

I believe its 2.5 Inches at the widest on there.

Word of advice, anything from the J. Crew Factory outlet is absolute crap. Materials are horrible and low quality. I'd advise you to return it ASAP, please. J. Crew Outlets (along with Banana and most Brooks Brothers 346 line) are made only for outlet and are not from their main stores.

Eh I wouldn't go that far...sure the Ludlow is better quality material but if you get it tailored well to fit you then 98% of the general population isn't gonna notice its not the best quality out there

Here's mine I got last winter, I think its the same one as Che GTR (mine is charcoal):

i2se1j.jpg

Now I don't wear it everyday since I'm still in my last yr of college but it's held up perfectly with me wearing it for 8-9 times since then....for me to get it at $185 with $50 for tailoring I think its great value.

Last edited:
Land's End: Free Shipping on $50 orders and 40% off 1 item

Savings reflected at checkout when you enter
Promotion Code: LEAVES
PIN: 9876

Save 40% on your single highest priced Lands' End item (excludes monogramming, embroidery, gift boxing, gift cards, shipping, taxes, duties, and excluded items as marked). Also receive free shipping to U.S. and Canadian addresses on a single order of $50 or more of merchandise. 5-7 business day delivery to most addresses. Discount will be applied at checkout. This offer has no cash value and is not redeemable for cash. Applies only to merchandise purchased from landsend.com and Lands’ End consumer catalogs. Excludes Lands’ End Business Outfitters purchases. Promotional savings may be deducted from returns. Offer valid through 11:59 p.m. Central, October 9, 2012. Not valid on previous purchases or when combined with any other promotional offers or employee discounts.

sarteaga0408 ,

I I am with you about not wanting to sell out. I am a very basic dude. T-Shirts, Polo. Jeans. Cargo shorts/pants every once in a while. I am more so concerned with folks thinking I am trying to be someone I am not. And before you say, "Why are you worried about others," well this is fashion and TO ME fashion is an outward expression of one's self. So to want to improve your style you are already looking for that outward acceptance. But I know you all don't agree with the idea of people dressing better for others.

sarteaga0408 ,
I I am with you about not wanting to sell out. I am a very basic dude. T-Shirts, Polo. Jeans. Cargo shorts/pants every once in a while. I am more so concerned with folks thinking I am trying to be someone I am not. And before you say, "Why are you worried about others," well this is fashion and TO ME fashion is an outward expression of one's self. So to want to improve your style you are already looking for that outward acceptance. But I know you all don't agree with the idea of people dressing better for others.

I don't care about the "selling out" part, since frankly I think people will think that regardless, like I've said in the past I just dress for me. I still think you can dress properly while wearing t-shirts, polo, jeans, etc. It's all about making sure things fit properly.

DC you're much better than that, at least your online persona.

Things change, styles change, taste changes. If you want to dress more "grown" as they call it because you like it. Then do you.

I was a t-shirt and jean guy throughout college, when I went out I was like everyone else. I had what I thought were nice clothes, but looking back now, fashion faux pas everywhere.

I always felt like I dressed well, clothes were never baggy, often told I wore tight clothes, :lol:. Personally, it wasn't until I started internships that I started to step my game up a bit. Taste began to change, and I was more open to other styles. It developed from there.

Fashion is an outward expression, and those that say they dress solely for them is kind of an empty statement. Sarteaga, mentioned that he likes doing it for his wife, and he's also mentioned that he gets complimented many times over. That's fine. There will be "haters", but honestly like most have said they are masking their own insecurities.

A well dressed man commands tons of respect. You know what, most wont say it on here and it might be due to humility and it could also lead to people thinking a well dressed man is a douchebag, however there isn't one man here that has put time into their wardrobe that doesn't look in the mirror and think/say: "Damn, I look good!".

Like most have said, it's a hobby, a lifestyle, something you venture in when you make that decision to venture in.

Couple of things...

Socks - I don't really have a preference, I do know I don't like paying a lot for them. Banana Republic has good socks and with their constant coupons and discounts I usually stock up there. I also have scooped up a few from Target, just because I liked the pattern/color. I stocked up at Uniqlo when I went to NYC. I don't expect socks to last me a long time, and maybe due to the large assortment they do last me awhile.

Desert Boots- Amazon has a promo going on right now where you sign up for their email list to get updates and sales on shoes. It's a 20% off, one time use promo code. Used it to get some Clarks DB's in Sand, came out to $60 (Free Prime Shipping). DB's are heavy in this thread, and $60-65 is a good price for the Originals (aka non-bushacre).

Factory Outlet Quality- I know that the quality is not on par with the flagship store but to call it poor or crap quality is asinine. I have purchased plenty of products from JCrew Factory, BR Factory, etc. and they have held up well. Then again, I take care of my clothes, it's a great way to save money and build a wardrobe if money is a bit tight. Also, promo codes are abundant and it's an economical way to experiment with a new style.

I LOVE SOCKS!!!
IF I CAN WEAR NEW SOCKS EVERYDAY I WOULD!!!
I buy them in bunches and have about 3-4 drawer full of socks!

Gold toe is my go to socks, just love them. Been wearing plenty of Nike Dri-Fit socks though, they are just perfectly cushioned in the right places w/o being too thick. As for dress socks, I got plenty of Gold Toe or CK from TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, etc... Go to these stores and check out all the socks they sell there, cheap but pretty reliable from my experience.

For more colorful, "fun" socks, I have a few Paul Smiths that I love.

Thanks in advance.

Urban Oufitters had 3 for $20

quality wasnt that bad. jcrew has some sales on them sometimes too, quality on those is pretty good IMO

Bama: You're killing it with the AEs!

I received the cashmere turtleneck sweater from J. Crew in the mail today, and it's going back tomorrow. The cashmere quality is pretty bad.

I believe its 2.5 Inches at the widest on there.
Eh I wouldn't go that far...sure the Ludlow is better quality material but if you get it tailored well to fit you then 98% of the general population isn't gonna notice its not the best quality out there
Here's mine I got last winter, I think its the same one as Che GTR (mine is charcoal):
i2se1j.jpg

Now I don't wear it everyday since I'm still in my last yr of college but it's held up perfectly with me wearing it for 8-9 times since then....for me to get it at $185 with $50 for tailoring I think its great value.

THIS^

Agree with all this said above. Its a great suit for around $200 with only minmal alterations needed. (yours looks sharp in charcoal! liking the material)
For a suit that IS NOT supposed to be a workhorse suit and I feel modern enough to dress down, use casual like in the pic above, its a great deal for a good looking suit.
I wanted the variety/versatility of a navy suit in my closet knowing that I wouldn't use it very often, thus i went with the wool Thompson...pretty much good all year round and formal plus semi-formal.

Quality is pretty good for MY use.

Cheers.

ALSO, for socks I recommend Nordstrom Rack if you can find one by you...they have designer socks plus Nordstrom socks, many of which are under $5.97, even as a 2pack!
Went by today, going back tomorrow to pick up a few gems.

Quick question: What shirt color under navy suit...I'm leaning towards:
00016f.jpg

pink x grey x brown shoes

Anyone have opinions on the Red Wing 875 or 1907s? 
i have the copper 1907s and absolutely love them. great in the snow/rain and i get a ton of compliments.
id definitely cop.

that being said, can anyone direct me to a leather treatment products i should be using on them? wisith, can you chime in?

To the regs in here, how much would you say you've invested in your wardrobe? Approximate figures or a range would be nice.
I've actually thought about taking a day off from work to build an Excel spreadsheet because I've been curious as well. Maybe my wardrobe is like a new Honda Accord? :lol:

There was a thread like this made on the MC corner on SF and the gents were talking about taking additional insurance out to cover their extreme wardrobes. That's when you know your hobby is out of control :lol:

Back
Top Bottom