Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Let me also add the dress shirt I bought was slim fitting but definitely not tight. I went with my normal size and it fit really well. Sort of an Amare fit not Stephen A. Smith fit.

very cool and appropriate.

What would ya'll say, are you overdressed at your job and if yes by how much? I'm very curious to know how much of differences there are between fields, positions etc.

The article posted here on suits and positions was very interesting, but i.e. at my job, the CEO is very well dressed, custom shirts, nice loafers, everything well fitted, but for the rest, well not too much taste nor class.

Idk if anyone goes thrifting, but when youre on a college kid budget like me, I do it lol. Got a couple of RL OCBDs, BB ties, hermes tie, and a givenchy blazer all for like 24 bucks... Plenty of brook brothers blazers there too for like 5-6 bucks, however they are HUGE, don't feel like taking them to get tailored so I just leave em

the dress code here spans the entire gamut; from jeans to suits. the actual dress code is business casual but there is a ton of flexibility. i don't feel over dressed at work, but i think i focus more on fit/quality of cut/fabric etc than a lot of the other suit wearers.

i do dress in jeans on fridays though - which is our casual friday.

Idk if anyone goes thrifting, but when youre on a college kid budget like me, I do it lol. Got a couple of RL OCBDs, BB ties, hermes tie, and a givenchy blazer all for like 24 bucks... Plenty of brook brothers blazers there too for like 5-6 bucks, however they are HUGE, don't feel like taking them to get tailored so I just leave em

LMK if they got some styling 46R blazers

Can anyone give me some guidelines/suggestions on how to create a simple wardrobe for someone's who's really never "dressed better before", or give me some links/sites that do?
I'm in college and I've basically been wearing hoodies/shorts/jeans most of the time all of my life, but I want to change that.
So a list of basic "essentials" to start out with I guess is what I'm asking. I feel like there's much more variety compared to streetwear, so I don't want to start buying stuff that won't fit together well a lot of the time or can't be used in different occasions.

Any tips on how to clean a slightly yellowed shirt collar ?

I usually create a paste of baking soda, detergent, and water. Make it thick and dab it on. Let sit for an hour and then throw it in the washer. Hang dry. I always check my shirts after I wear them to see if the neck needs treating to try to catch it before it sets in.

Can anyone give me some guidelines/suggestions on how to create a simple wardrobe for someone's who's really never "dressed better before", or give me some links/sites that do?
I'm in college and I've basically been wearing hoodies/shorts/jeans most of the time all of my life, but I want to change that.
So a list of basic "essentials" to start out with I guess is what I'm asking. I feel like there's much more variety compared to streetwear, so I don't want to start buying stuff that won't fit together well a lot of the time or can't be used in different occasions.
First I would go to a tailor to get your measurements. Fit is everything. Not your mall tailor, but an independent tailor. Next I would start with the basics. A great fitting cardigan/sweater, 2-3 button down shirts, and khakis. I would then suggest picking up a pair of desert boots. They are very versatile. And lastly a dark pair of well fitting jeans. Your budget should be Gap (Never pay regular price) and similar stores until you find comfort. Take about 30 minutes in the evening and check blogs or Pinterest to gather your style. You will develop it on your own. No rush.

Last edited:
bought a pair when there was 40% off, returned it once i saw it. the colors do not look like how do they when its pictured (much darker in person), and the fit was not good. the waist was bigger than their other pants and much looser even though it is a slim fit.

i ordered these and they were much better (fit and quality wise)

http://us.dockers.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11573717

I usually create a paste of baking soda, detergent, and water. Make it thick and dab it on. Let sit for an hour and then throw it in the washer. Hang dry. I always check my shirts after I wear them to see if the neck needs treating to try to catch it before it sets in.
First I would go to a tailor to get your measurements. Fit is everything. Not your mall tailor, but an independent tailor. Next I would start with the basics. A great fitting cardigan/sweater, 2-3 button down shirts, and khakis. I would then suggest picking up a pair of desert boots. They are very versatile. And lastly a dark pair of well fitting jeans. Your budget should be Gap (Never pay regular price) and similar stores until you find comfort. Take about 30 minutes in the evening and check blogs or Pinterest to gather your style. You will develop it on your own. No rush.
Thanks for the help, appreciate it. :D
I think I can manage to find some button downs and I already have nice jeans, and desert boots shouldn't be too hard either. What are some good/not too expensive khakis though? I looked up some J. Crew ones but they're like 100$, don't really want to spend that much. Fit wise, I'm looking for something like Levis 508's (slim tapered). And also what kind of sweaters do you mean? Like solid color sweaters?

damn this is an ill collab; def can be worked in a nice causal outfit...via GQ

Last edited:
Any tips on how to clean a slightly yellowed shirt collar ?

I put the shirt in my washing machine with oxyclean on a rinse cycle, stop the machine when the water reaches a decent level, scrub the collar together to get some of the dirt out, let it sit for a few hours then wash it normally. This has worked wonders on shirts

Thanks for the help, appreciate it. :D
I think I can manage to find some button downs and I already have nice jeans, and desert boots shouldn't be too hard either. What are some good/not too expensive khakis though? I looked up some J. Crew ones but they're like 100$, don't really want to spend that much. Fit wise, I'm looking for something like Levis 508's (slim tapered). And also what kind of sweaters do you mean? Like solid color sweaters?
Don't know how levi 508 fits but Dockers Alpha Khakis are tapered also. They have a sale right now on their site, buy 3 at retail and get 30% off. Comes out to $123.90 for 3.

I would also get a navy or grey suit as they are pretty versatile and everyone will need suits sooner or later in their lives.

Topman has a skinny fit for blazers and suits, and jackets fits super skinny and short..more slim than H&M. They also have a fuller cut, which is more on the lines of a slim/skinny

for reference, Im like 5'8 waist 30-31, normal suit size is a 36 or 38, chest and the jacket needed no alterations for waist suppression in their skinny fit. And i tried on the 38. If you have even a little pudge or slightly overweight, you should not buy the topman skinny fit at all unless sizing up at least 1 size...keep in mind the sleeves on the jackets are also very trim with a higher than usual armhole..even for slim euro cuts..so if ur a built dude, its probably better to try on...im assuming they target slim frames.. their skinny line reminds me of an "asian" cut clothing brand i tried.

chinos fit true in waist, but the thighs are very slim, fits like SLIGHTLY larger than 510 levis, but not quite 511.the leg opening is btwn 6.75-7.25 depending on ur size..from what i remember

hope that helps

bought a pair when there was 40% off, returned it once i saw it. the colors do not look like how do they when its pictured (much darker in person), and the fit was not good. the waist was bigger than their other pants and much looser even though it is a slim fit.

i ordered these and they were much better (fit and quality wise)
http://us.dockers.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11573717

the fit I thought was no good. The Slim fit felt like a super skinny fit for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom