Dressing Better Vol 2.0

What is it about this thread that got a bunch of dudes acting catty?
The subtle shots. The bickering. People being overly sensitive. The "in crowd" that can do no wrong.

It's quite the interesting phenomenon.

The subtle shots. The bickering. People being overly sensitive. The "in crowd" that can do no wrong.

I don't eem know bruh....

What time I'm picking you up?

Who?....

Tbh where the ***** are the fits?
laugh.gif
Him(he knows who he is) yet he insults an entire country with his  uninformed comment about spending habits.

With proper shoe care and resoling when necessary, AEs have been known to last upwards of 20-25 years Carla

I always hear people say this, and i don't doubt its validity... but c'mon guys, who wants to keep shoes for 25 years? We have people on this board with dozens of Allen Edmonds or higher quality shoes. So if one keeps buying at the fast rate which many of us are (5+pair a year) you will accumulate hundreds of shoes. Is that your goal? To have a ginormous collection of beat up dusty dress shoes? lol. idk, i feel that people always harp on the "dude they will last decades" because they wanna justify their purchase.

Reality is, most of us are materialistic as hell, we are on here talkin about 300 dollar shoes, most of the general public, and even wealthy people who aren't fashion forward, think its foolish to spend the type of money many of us spend on clothing. I doubt many of us will keep our shoes for 25 years. Maybe a pair here and there for "sentimental" value, but i doubt for functional purposes. Hell, I get bored of my car after 3 years and try switching it out, there's no way i could keep a pair of shoes for that long lol.

Thats why for me personally, when it comes down to a $350 ferragamo shoe on sale which i happen to find more visually appealing but might not be as "well built" as an AE shoe which is $350, i'll go with the Ferragamo shoe, because i buy what I like, not what might or might not break down in 20 years.

Just my thoughts..

I don't eem know bruh....

What time I'm picking you up?

Saturday right?
Pick me up whenever...I'll be ready.

I'll prob wear a suit.

I always hear people say this, and i don't doubt its validity... but c'mon guys, who wants to keep shoes for 25 years? We have people on this board with dozens of Allen Edmonds or higher quality shoes. So if one keeps buying at the fast rate which many of us are (5+pair a year) you will accumulate hundreds of shoes. Is that your goal? To have a ginormous collection of beat up dusty dress shoes? lol. idk, i feel that people always harp on the "dude they will last decades" because they wanna justify their purchase.

Reality is, most of us are materialistic as hell, we are on here talkin about 300 dollar shoes, most of the general public, and even wealthy people who aren't fashion forward, think its foolish to spend the type of money many of us spend on clothing. I doubt many of us will keep our shoes for 25 years. Maybe a pair here and there for "sentimental" value, but i doubt for functional purposes. Hell, I get bored of my car after 3 years and try switching it out, there's no way i could keep a pair of shoes for that long lol.

Thats why for me personally, when it comes down to a $350 ferragamo shoe on sale which i happen to find more visually appealing but might not be as "well built" as an AE shoe which is $350, i'll go with the Ferragamo shoe, because i buy what I like, not what might or might not break down in 20 years.

Just my thoughts..
I like that opinion.

Man stop playing...lol

Although I have an engagement party to shoot early, so I'll prolly be dressed up too

What time are you guys heading there? I might change my MAB appointment to Saturday, if you guys want to come and have free drinks...free open bar :D

Just my thoughts..
Personally, I'm done with buying formal shoes and boots. There are about 3 pairs that I want: a pair of Alden LHS, some two tone purple leather/suede bal boots, and green shell cordovan. I expect my pairs to last for the years to come. There's quite a few members on SF who still have their first pairs of shoes upon starting the 'collection' and their career (from the 70s and 80s)...pretty neat I think.

Who?....

Tbh where the ***** are the fits? :lol:

Nothing for me yesterday or today. Proctored SAT yesterday, came home, did laundry and went to sleep. With new SAT restrictions we can't even have our phones or laptops with us. They actually made us submit to a background check last year as well...

Today, I went Apple Picking which was fun but the weather wasn't too fun so it was some rain boots today.

:lol: @ the notion that only participants in this thread bicker with one another.

Go visit the rest of NT.

Had a horrible Sunday of football so I found myself suit shopping again. I was on Suit Supply they give some video advice on their fits but as a member of Team Brolic I was seeing if anyone with experience with the brand could help. Im 5'11 235 wearing a 48L, so I need something with larger lapels, good fit through the mid section and space in the arms and shoulders which always kills me. Any info on which styles to focus on at Suit Supply would help. Tried Brooks but wasnt feeling their options.

Figured I'd go ahead and get suggestions on the tailoring I need done as well, seeing as you guys helped me with my dress shoe choice. (Thanks to everyone btw)

Here's the original suit so you can see the color and such

And here's me in it.

Here's what I want done, shorten the sleeves and the Hem the pants. They only had a 32 length and I'm a 29 length :lol: so I realize it looks a bit off.

is the length of the blazer okay or should I taper it a bit?

And I gotta go get a white dress shirt cuz blue just looks off.

Would a solid skinny navy tie work with this suit?

Edit: not really sure why, but I look bigger than I am in this pic/suit? .hmmm. Idk.

Last edited:

Just my thoughts..
I hear you man.....but there are 3 pairs of shoes that I consider timeless classics that will look and feel good my entire lifetime no matter what the latest trends are. No, they aren't the most aggressively styled, new wave, trend, and they never will be, but that's what makes them so special to me. These 3 pairs of shoes will ALWAYS be in my rotation in my late 20's now, into my 30's and into my 40's. And yes, I plan to keep them that long, so 20 years EASY. Given my occupation and occasional social events, these are my must have's. 

1) AE Park Avenue - My black cap toe "go to" for any formal event. Interviews, weddings, funerals. Not as trendy / sleek as others....simply timeless, never offensive and always reliable. 

2) AE Strand - A classic in walnut. Makes any navy or grey suit pop. Works with jeans as well. 

3) AE Fort Collins - My go to derby in a beautiful, versatile Bourbon color. These look amazing with jeans. Probably my favorite pair in my collection. 

I could literally go the rest of my life with the just the three shoes above and be fine for any event or occasion. I have a handful of Ferragamos and Santoni's for fun but they aren't necessary, the above are necessary IMO. 

Last edited:
When I found the OG thread 2-3 years ago, I think I read all 1500+ pages in two or three days during my winter break. Literally, that was all I did :lol:

Figured I'd go ahead and get suggestions on the tailoring I need done as well, seeing as you guys helped me with my dress shoe choice. (Thanks to everyone btw)

Here's the original suit so you can see the color and such

And here's me in it.

Here's what I want done, shorten the sleeves and the Hem the pants. They only had a 32 length and I'm a 29 length :lol: so I realize it looks a bit off.

is the length of the blazer okay or should I taper it a bit?

And I gotta go get a white dress shirt cuz blue just looks off.

Would a solid skinny navy tie work with this suit?

Edit: not really sure why, but I look bigger than I am in this pic/suit? .hmmm. Idk.

A large part in why you look bigger than I is the angle of the picture and a suit that as of now is too big on you. The shoulders on the jacket look good but it will be easier to tell if the jacket is buttoned closed. If you could upload a picture with the jacket closed that would be really helpful since it's pretty much impossible to suggest getting the jacket taken in with it open. Personally I think you will have to take it in as it does look big in the midsection but I can't be 100% sure until I see it closed. The sleeves though for sure need to be shortened a bit. The pants I want to say a hem and maybe a taper from the calf down and you should be good.

Any promotional deals currently going on at the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank? Carlin? :nerd:  

AE is having their Rediscover America Sale, so pretty much everything is on sale now, firsts or seconds. I think the outlets marked some nice pairs down to $149, so just contact shoe bank or outlet for the details.

Back
Top Bottom