Drake - 5am In Toronto

I'm a huge Weeknd fan but let's not pretend he doesn't owe his career to Drizzy. Not a doubt in my mind w/o the Drake co-sign he'd still be a loser in Toronto. Whether or not he signed with Drake is a separate issue, like maybe the deal was garbage, who knows. But y'all claiming he would've been hot w/o the co-sign are straight delusional.

Oh and 5AM is dece. . . replayed it 30 times and I moved on.
I wouldn't call him a "loser" before Drake. He was always talented and already had a cult following. The Weeknd and his original producer Jeremy Rose had already created that dark sound and all the cool hipster kids were worshipping him already. I would say Drake created a commercial platform for him, which is huge, but to call him a loser? nah

Drake was more on that OVOXO **** than The Weeknd. I really don't even recall him saying it at all. Maybe I missed it.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes. But, The Weeknd appears to do his own videos, shows and features. Drake doesn't seem to have a hand in that. He didn't go on tour with Drake. He was opening for Flo + The Machine. Drake's been on one of 30 songs of his. I don't know, Drake just seemed more invested in the idea than The Weeknd to me.

But, it's totally some sucka **** if he didn't sit down with Drake and say he wasn't signing. That appears to be the case. Can't co-sign that. But, I don't see where he owes him. Drake wants credit. Cool. Have it. Now what?

A lot of revisionist history going on here, nobody is guaranteed to blow. :lol:

Having one of the biggest artist in the game co-signing you from the jump, putting you on stage, putting you in music videos, promoting you and your ****** *** friends like dropxlife and them other wack xo dudes, introducing you to people, opening doors, appearing in your videos, after all of this, you and your whole crew shouting ovoxo, acting like you part of the fam and you sign to a different deal and you don't have the stones to call the man and tell him before the **** hits the fan. :smh:

Thats weak, super weak, if you don't believe in loyalty thats fine, but ball up look a man in his eyes.

I don't know how anyone with with a set of testicles can cosign the weeknd on this. :lol:

If the Weeknd did not need Drake, he should have put the ovoxo **** down, did his own promotion, own videos, get his own features, set up his own concerts, and walked on his own like a man.

"We just want the credit where it's due"

If the Weeknd, thought giving Drake some royalties, on each record sold wasn't worth the promotional relationship Drake had with his music then fine. (imo no way) but handle your bidness like a man.

This. I'm still a fan but that was some straight up sucka ****.

if you're trying to tell me this isn't one of the hardest joints of the year.......
indifferent.gif

The kid reminded us why he's at the top with this.

Yep. Dude spent a whole year repping "OVOXO". It would have been equivalent to in 2008/09 when Drake spent all that time shouting out YMCMB, and then went and signed with some other label.

If Weeknd was gonna do it by himself, he should have never started repping "OVO", ASAP got a similar push, even went on tour with Drake, but never repped OVO, it was always ASAP . . .
word up this 10000%.  The Weeknd took advantage...

Last edited:
Drake was more on that OVOXO **** than The Weeknd. I really don't even recall him saying it at all. Maybe I missed it.

I don't know what happens behind the scenes. But, The Weeknd appears to do his own videos, shows and features. Drake doesn't seem to have a hand in that. He didn't go on tour with Drake. He was opening for Flo + The Machine. Drake's been on one of 30 songs of his. I don't know, Drake just seemed more invested in the idea than The Weeknd to me.

But, it's totally some sucka **** if he didn't sit down with Drake and say he wasn't signing. That appears to be the case. Can't co-sign that. But, I don't see where he owes him. Drake wants credit. Cool. Have it. Now what?

You're right. It was Drake who reached out to XO not the other way around. It was Drake who spray-painted an entire wall "OVOXO" in the headlines video, not Weeknd. It was Drake walking around in the OVOXO gear and things like that.

But Drake, in all of his moves throughout his career, does them in a calculated fashion. Drake used his name, talent and buzz so he could cosign other artist, and his cosign could now hold weight because of who he is. Monopolizing the game. He Cosigned Nip before he blew, (Nip still hasn't) Kendrick before he blew, A$AP before he blew, 2 Chainz to an extent, And a plethora of others. This is not to say that these artist didn't have cult followings before Drake, but they had far less notoriety before Drake. Strategically, this way he has his fingerprints all over the game. Last year he didn't release a single song but was everywhere. Prime example. He's made it to where as he said in 5AM, "They Need Me." He has his hands on virtually every hot artist in the game.

With Weeknd, he was going to do the same thing. Unlike all of the other artist he cosigned prior to XO, XO was independent. Drake heard the music, knew how good Weeknd was, and saw that he had a little cult following. He also knew he was about to make The OVO label official. Tried to capitalize on it so he could have Weeknd under his umbrella and it backfired.

Dude why are apologizing for this greasy abel dude. :lol:

You are standing in front of giant wall in Toronto wearing an ovoxo jacket, with ovoxo spray painted on a wall, you are repping ****. It's on repeat through the end of the initiation "That north north, that up top, that OVO and that XO,"

it doesn't matter who was repping it more. You repped it, you took Drakes money and resources and pretended to be down with OVOXO, and when you changed your mind you couldn't even call a *****. :lol:

That is ball-less behavior point blank.

ultimately I don't care about this imo these are millionaires fighting over what will be relatively small amount of income and I will bump the weeknd as much as I did yesterdya, i just don't see how another man can get up and cosign this gutless behavior. :smh:

where was the weeknd's cult following though? (I can believe it)

For what it's worth, he was hardly buzzing on the blogs before Drake's cosign. IIRC Drake had one tweet (+The OVO Blog post) that instantly set the buzz in motion. That was all it took to get the blogs buzzing (And the timing between when the videos were posted and his tweet are obviously 100% intentional by both parties) to get a build up for the first tape.

Just because Drake didnt have a hand in the first tracks or publicly cosigning him earlier, it doesn't mean they weren't working together well before the first tape.

Stans are greatly inflating his "cult following". Nerds got obsessed with him because once Drake co-signed him it was inevitable he was going to blow and nerds feel cool bragging they "discovered" some dude that is soon to be all over the radio. People offline ain't even feeling Weeknd like that. He's like a tumblr blogger singer people with 2.5 GPAs obsess over. Knowing all of his words stalking dude, and defending him like you're his manager is mad suspect.

:lol: Gotta love NT

Stans are greatly inflating his "cult following". Nerds got obsessed with him because once Drake co-signed him it was inevitable he was going to blow and nerds feel cool bragging they "discovered" some dude that is soon to be all over the radio. People offline ain't even feeling Weeknd like that. He's like a tumblr blogger singer people with 2.5 GPAs obsess over. Knowing all of his words stalking dude, and defending him like you're his manager is mad suspect.
:rofl:

Last edited:
Dont see how yall saying 9AM In Dallas >

5AMID son is spitting hard, taking straight shots at a number of ******. His flow is better, his energy is higher and his metaphors are smarter.

Dont see how yall saying 9AM In Dallas >

5AMID son is spitting hard, taking straight shots at a number of ******. His flow is better, his energy is higher and his metaphors are smarter.

I agree 9am is nice but that's more a mellows "I made it" track

5am is like an "F you haters" I'm the biggest name here

much respect on the weeknd being over rated, never seen the appeal, never got his image or his song. I hear alot of whining and mess, his subject matter is the same as trey songs, but trey songs
gets more love, with that being sad i know drake wants to be a boss, but he should find a rapper

:lol: Ok

much respect on the weeknd being over rated, never seen the appeal, never got his image or his song. I hear alot of whining and mess, his subject matter is the same as trey songs, but trey songs
gets more love, with that being sad i know drake wants to be a boss, but he should find a rapper

:lol: your joking right??? The weeknd and trey songz have the same subject matter?

Be honest you haven't heard the weeknd have you?

Last edited:
^You're the one writing multiple paragraphs filled with hate for dude, yet it's other people "going to hard"? Okay

Last edited:
Dudes go way too hard hyping how deep Weeknd is. Again, you go so extra because you feel special you "discovered" him. Some of his songs are ill but obsessing over this dork like every line he spits is biblical is laughable. To me, most of his songs sound like a loser who JUST discovered drugs and bagged his first white chick in like 2011 but sings like he's always been that @#$%^ but you know deep down you can tell he's still that same insecure reject that got zero buns until Drake tossed him an OVO hoodie. Finding out he's a snake that turned his back on the dude that put him on makes me less likely to waste my time stealing his future releases.

See Drake.

People in here acting like this stuff doesn't happen every day. When the weeknd started getting buzz he was what 19 or 20 years old. Drake was the biggest name in the industry co-signing him. Of course you attach yourself to drake (and for that he really didn't attach himself that much he basically accepted the cosign). So he grows up...gets to know the industry a little and decides he doesn't want to sign with Drake. We don't know the ins and outs of what the deal was. What if drake wanted to 360 him and rape him for royalties....and basically now saying...you should let me own your career, name, songs, XO, all of it. What if the weeknd just said no to that? Sounds like a smart business decision.

I just don't see how people can be like oh the weeknd is wrong. Man its his career...its his talent...its his voice...he has the right to do whatever he wants. As stated he doesn't need a gimmick. This isn't tyga...who is a terrible rapper...and NEEDS the YMCMB machine behind him because otherwise he would have 0 fans. The Weeknd has talent. I wouldn't have signed anything either. Artist these days are all following the independent model. He is building his own brand.....let that boy cook.

If anyone got done dirty it was the Jeremy Rose guy.

Drake just got over involved in The Weeknd thing, I think he tries maybe a bit too hard to reach back and put Toronto on at times. End up being an elevator for a lot of hungry people.

Anywho, decent song but I like "SFTB" a little better. It was unexpectedly dark and gloomy and really catchy. "5am" tho...I'll probably never listen to again. Not wack but I listen to Drake to kind of unwind and chill, not to hear this.

I agree on all said when it comes to the weekend doing drake wrong, but to the dude who said he's just like trey songzz LOL are you serious???

unless drake funded the weekend's come up, i don't think anything is owed..

what happened to co-signing somebody just for the hell of it, without expecting something in return.

Just a lil lost, can someone break down the load every gun and fired backwards line? :lol: thanks.

Back
Top Bottom