Drake - 5am In Toronto

This whole thread has become a joke. The song is cool. I don't like Drake but he had some dope lines, not going to lie but it's not groundbreaking.

My man REFUSES to say names though and will always be a coward for running away from Common after he stepped to him.

This beef with The Weeknd is funny because he stole his whole sound on "Take Care"

This beef with The Weeknd is funny because he stole his whole sound on "Take Care"
exactly
Drake has "problems" with the Weeknd?

Wtf? 
Drake is salty because Weeknd didn't sign to his new label OVO 
roll.gif

Last edited:
I'm a huge Weeknd fan but let's not pretend he doesn't owe his career to Drizzy. Not a doubt in my mind w/o the Drake co-sign he'd still be a loser in Toronto. Whether or not he signed with Drake is a separate issue, like maybe the deal was garbage, who knows. But y'all claiming he would've been hot w/o the co-sign are straight delusional.

Oh and 5AM is dece. . . replayed it 30 times and I moved on.
True . . . Drake posted Weeknd on his blog on December 2010 . . . anyone here not from Toronto heard of him before that?
did this ***** really call wayne "pop" ?
Pretty sure he was calling himself Papi

"Weezy on edge

If Papi get popped, he might just have to pop a ***** forreal"

Can't remember lyrics exactly but that's the general gist of it
exactly
Well of course . . . they were working together on Take Care .  . .

Great album

Nah. You're the delusional one. Weeknd was already building a solid fanbase and was buzzing HEAVY on blogs even before drake even came into the picture. Did the drake cosign maybe give him a bit more exposure? Sure, but to say Abel wouldn't have been poppin you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Nah. You're the delusional one. Weeknd was already building a solid fanbase and was buzzing HEAVY on blogs even before drake even came into the picture. Did the drake cosign maybe give him a bit more exposure? Sure, but to say Abel wouldn't have been poppin you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.
Definitely true , Weekend was already out here before he started collaborating with Drake . Way before at tht .

what buzz did weeknd have before drake came in the picture? im not even picking sides here. but once NT put me on to the weeknd after that 1st mixtape drake was already hyping dude up from what i remmeber

I'm curious what makes you think this because it's not like he came out of left field with a different style on Take Care.  People were actually expecting Thank Me Later to sound more like Take Care because it matched his style from So Far Gone.
Did the Drake cosign come before or after House of Balloons?
Apparently, it did.  Dudes are saying Drake co-signed him in 2010 and House Of Balloons came out in 2011, if I'm not mistaken...

http://octobersveryown.blogspot.com/2010/12/introducing-weekend.html

December 12, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weeknd
[h3]Mixtapes[/h3][table][tr][th="col"]Title[/th][th="col"]Album details[/th][/tr][tr][th="row"]House of Balloons[/th][td][/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]Thursday[/th][td]
  • Released: August 18, 2011
  • Label: XO
  • Format: Digital download
[/td][/tr][tr][th="row"]Echoes of Silence[/th][td]
  • Released: December 21, 2011
  • Label: XO
  • Format: Digital download
[/td][/tr][/table]

Last edited:

December 12, 2010​

[rule]

[h3]Mixtapes[/h3]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[th=""]Title[/th]

[th=""]Album details[/th]

[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]House of Balloons[/TH]
[TD]

• [*] Released: March 21, 2011​
    [*] Label: XO​
    [*] Format: Digital download
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Thursday[/TH]
[TD]

• [*] Released: August 18, 2011​
    [*] Format: Digital download​
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Echoes of Silence[/TH]
[TD]

• [*] Released: December 21, 2011​

• [*] Label: XO​
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
but he had music out before the album released...

However, in December 2010, Tesfaye uploaded "What You Need", "Loft Music", and "The Morning" to YouTube under the name "The Weeknd"

Last edited:
the music still had to be there.

and Drake (or his team) doesn't have anything to do with that. People don't like The Weeknd because of Drake, even if they know who he is because of Drake.

The Weeknd came out with great music. Even better than Drake, for my money. And I'm a big fan of Drake. But, the music had to be there.

I don't know that The Weeknd even had a chance to fail/succeed before Drake co-signed him, if we're talking Dec 2010. I mean, we can't say what would have happened with his career because he never got a chance to come out with a project sans a co-sign.

my only issue is making something public that wasn't public. go your separate way and relax. you're grown.

December 12, 2010​

[rule]

[h3]Mixtapes[/h3]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[th=""]Title[/th]

[th=""]Album details[/th]

[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]House of Balloons[/TH]
[TD]

• [*] Released: March 21, 2011​
    [*] Format: Digital download
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Thursday[/TH]
[TD]

• [*] Released: August 18, 2011​
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Echoes of Silence[/TH]
[TD]

• [*] Released: December 21, 2011​

• [*] Label: XO​
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

IMO the fact that the co sign came before these mixtapes came out hurts your argument because I think these mixtapes would have got buzz anyway because they are THAT good.

If drake would have co signed him and the music was trash it wouldn't have mattered. But because the weeknd killed it that's why he is gaining success.

It just seems like drake seen him first, knowing the dude was nice he decided to co sign that way if he blow like he thought he would. The weeknd would sign to him of the strength of the co sign.

Drake was only on I think 1 song from all 3 mixtapes. He's not the reason those mixtapes were nice. And the first time ANYBODY heard "wicked games" dude was gonna blow.

Last edited:
A lot of revisionist history going on here, nobody is guaranteed to blow. :lol:

Having one of the biggest artist in the game co-signing you from the jump, putting you on stage, putting you in music videos, promoting you and your ****** *** friends like dropxlife and them other wack xo dudes, introducing you to people, opening doors, appearing in your videos, after all of this, you and your whole crew shouting ovoxo, acting like you part of the fam and you sign to a different deal and you don't have the stones to call the man and tell him before the **** hits the fan. :smh:

Thats weak, super weak, if you don't believe in loyalty thats fine, but ball up look a man in his eyes.

I don't know how anyone with with a set of testicles can cosign the weeknd on this. :lol:

If the Weeknd did not need Drake, he should have put the ovoxo **** down, did his own promotion, own videos, get his own features, set up his own concerts, and walked on his own like a man.

"We just want the credit where it's due"

If the Weeknd, thought giving Drake some royalties, on each record sold wasn't worth the promotional relationship Drake had with his music then fine. (imo no way) but handle your bidness like a man.

Last edited:
the music still had to be there.

and Drake (or his team) doesn't have anything to do with that. People don't like The Weeknd because of Drake, even if they know who he is because of Drake.
That's the only point I was tryna make. The reason most here likely heard of Weeknd, heard of him in some way because of Drake.

A lot of revisionist history going on here, nobody is guaranteed to blow.
laugh.gif

Having one of the biggest artist in the game co-signing you from the jump, putting you on stage, putting you in music videos, promoting you and your ****** *** friends like dropxlife and them other wack xo dudes, introducing you to people, opening doors, appearing in your videos, after all of this, you and your whole crew shouting ovoxo, acting like you part of the fam and you sign to a different deal and you don't have the stones to call the man and tell him before the **** hits the fan.
mean.gif

Thats weak, super weak, if you don't believe in loyalty thats fine, but ball up look a man in his eyes.

I don't know how anyone with with a set of testicles can cosign the weeknd on this.
laugh.gif

If the Weeknd did not need Drake, he should have put the ovoxo **** down, did his own promotion, own videos, get his own features, set up his own concerts, and walked on his own like a man.

"We just want the credit where it's due"

If the Weeknd, thought giving Drake some royalties, on each record sold wasn't worth the promotional relationship Drake had with his music then fine. (imo no way) but handle your bidness like a man.
Yep. Dude spent a whole year repping "OVOXO". It would have been equivalent to in 2008/09 when Drake spent all that time shouting out YMCMB, and then went and signed with some other label.

If Weeknd was gonna do it by himself, he should have never started repping "OVO", ASAP got a similar push, even went on tour with Drake, but never repped OVO, it was always ASAP . . .

Back
Top Bottom