Does the majority of the U.S. not know Latinos come in all colors and backgrounds????

I worked with some chick the other day and she couldnt tell what I was. She asked me my nationality. Obviously its American but I knew she meant my ethnicity. I asked her what she thought I was and she said White. I told her yes I am White. But my ethnicity is mostly Mexican because I am half Mexican, a quarter Spanish, and a quarter English/German. I have only one Grandparent who is a born American and was born here and whose family has been here for years. My Great-Great Grandma was full German from SF who was born here in the late 1800s and was already a 3rd generation ans was alive until I was 12. My other Grandparents are Spanish/Mexican but are citizens and have spent more time in the US than they did in their native country yet still cant speak English flutently. Spaniards are obviously White and my Mexican Grandmother is blonde and her last name is Italian and in my Mexican family we have colored eyes and I have a cousin who is a redhead who lives in Mexico so theyre backgrounds are European. My Grandpa is the only Indigenous family member I have and hes the only Indigenous blood I have in me. 3 of my Half- Brothers are full Mexican and 2 have green eyes and the other has baby blue. Theyre Grandpa is half Mexican/Chinese cus hes from Mexicali which has the largest population of Chinese-Mexicans in Mexico. The family jokes around that my Brothers are Scandinavian because they're all 6'+ with fair skin, light hair, and colored eyes. My Brothers are from SJ and they said in school all the kids who are Hispanic would talk +!%! about them in Spanish and when my Brothers would respond back in Spanish theyd get hella shocked that they understood. One of my Brothers is actually fluent in French also. Do people not know including Latinos that we come in every shade and background? I mean come on Vicente Fox is obviously German. His last name is Fox. My Ex who was a hardcore Paisa had freckles and so did her Mother and I told her that she had relatives who were European. She denied it up and down but it was the truth. I grew up with Paisa's and they'd all make fun of me for being "White washed" but in reality I wasnt. They just hated on me cus I didnt speak fluent Paisa Spanish.

I mean this in the kindest way possible.. but what the *+%* is most of that about?

While your incredibly detailed family history is interesting, back to the question at hand.. short of citing national surveys (which could be flawed and biased), we won't really know what "a majority" of the US believes. You're asking us to generalize the US population on whether or not they know something about an incredibly diverse group of people.

I have 'white' friends that are Hispanic but if I call them 'white' they'll say "no I'm Hispanic".

wut?

Ok so you're half Mexican half White? Im not seeing your point bruh?
FYI Spanish people from Spain are white

Originally Posted by bbrroowwnnssuuggaarr

I worked with some chick the other day and she couldnt tell what I was. She asked me my nationality. Obviously its American but I knew she meant my ethnicity. I asked her what she thought I was and she said White. I told her yes I am White. But my ethnicity is mostly Mexican because I am half Mexican, a quarter Spanish, and a quarter English/German. I have only one Grandparent who is a born American and was born here and whose family has been here for years. My Great-Great Grandma was full German from SF who was born here in the late 1800s and was already a 3rd generation ans was alive until I was 12. My other Grandparents are Spanish/Mexican but are citizens and have spent more time in the US than they did in their native country yet still cant speak English flutently. Spaniards are obviously White and my Mexican Grandmother is blonde and her last name is Italian and in my Mexican family we have colored eyes and I have a cousin who is a redhead who lives in Mexico so theyre backgrounds are European. My Grandpa is the only Indigenous family member I have and hes the only Indigenous blood I have in me. 3 of my Half- Brothers are full Mexican and 2 have green eyes and the other has baby blue. Theyre Grandpa is half Mexican/Chinese cus hes from Mexicali which has the largest population of Chinese-Mexicans in Mexico. The family jokes around that my Brothers are Scandinavian because they're all 6'+ with fair skin, light hair, and colored eyes. My Brothers are from SJ and they said in school all the kids who are Hispanic would talk +!%! about them in Spanish and when my Brothers would respond back in Spanish theyd get hella shocked that they understood. One of my Brothers is actually fluent in French also. Do people not know including Latinos that we come in every shade and background? I mean come on Vicente Fox is obviously German. His last name is Fox. My Ex who was a hardcore Paisa had freckles and so did her Mother and I told her that she had relatives who were European. She denied it up and down but it was the truth. I grew up with Paisa's and they'd all make fun of me for being "White washed" but in reality I wasnt. They just hated on me cus I didnt speak fluent Paisa Spanish.
So...why exactly did you agree you were white...then follow up with the bigger bolded statement? Seems like you needed to ask this thread question to yourself instead of us
laugh.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]They created all of these stupid labels just to confuse us and separate  us.. Good job oppressors 
pimp.gif
[/color]

My point is when people say im White its true, I got homeboys who have blue/green eyes and when I say theyre White they get really offended. Im from the Bay Area and my background is strictly European. But my Boys are from straight DF, Michoacan, Gudalajara, Morelia, etc...

My point is when people say im White its true, I got homeboys who have blue/green eyes and when I say theyre White they get really offended. Im from the Bay Area and my background is strictly European. But my Boys are from straight DF, Michoacan, Gudalajara, Morelia, etc...

Many Hispanics are racially white but ethnically and culturally don't feel they fall under the label. Same   for Black and Amerindian so to that extent I happen to agree with ninjahood

You don't come from Mexico tho. You wouldn't understand. 

But they obviously have European genealogies.  There are pale skinned red headed Brazilians who are still white because their ancestors are Irish immigrants.  There are white Africans...You can still be of Latin descent and be white

no such thing as latino..just an arbitrary term that somehow implies your native language is spanish

Originally Posted by Peep Game

So...why exactly did you agree you were white...then follow up with the bigger bolded statement? Seems like you needed to ask this thread question to yourself instead of us
laugh.gif
I don't think you fully understand the difference between ethnicity and nationality, bro. 

Off topic, but OP....

How long does it take you to log in with a screen name like that?

Back
Top Bottom