Does anyone use a netbook?

I'm thinking about buying a Samsung NC10 for school, but I'm a little put off by the 10" screen size. It's perfect because it won't addmuch weight to my bag, which is filled with 400 pounds of textbooks daily.

Does anyone use one of these? Is it practical for note-taking and simple web browsing?

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I'm thinking about buying a Samsung NC10 for school, but I'm a little put off by the 10" screen size. It's perfect because it won't add much weight to my bag, which is filled with 400 pounds of textbooks daily.

Does anyone use one of these? Is it practical for note-taking and simple web browsing?
Yes .

Cool. Have you used one in class? Should I be worried about going blind trying to see the small screen?

if u can play ur DS or psp for atleast an hour and not complain

then the netbook should be perfect for u

41lE6pXXhHL._SS500_.jpg

It's on its way!

i bought my mom an Asus 9" EEE PC for xmas
& my GF has a 10" MSI Wind Netbook..

both are pretty whack in terms of typing since the keyboards are really small.. especially if you have big hands/fingers..

other than that.. the size/weight alone is perfect for school or travel.
my gf puts hers in her hobo bag sometimes..

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

Can I run Office on it?

If yes then thats about all your gonna need no?
Yeah you can. I'm sure a media player app would be good too. They are real laptops.

yup.. only thing these things are missing are CD drives and a Full sized keyboard..

i have a dell mini 9 that i love.
got a bluetooth dongle on it so im tethering my bb to it wherever i get the chance
i got all the big programs like itunes installed on a memory card rather than the hard drive it self to save some space.
my dell mini ftw.

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

Can I run Office on it?

If yes then thats about all your gonna need no?
Yeah you can. I'm sure a media player app would be good too. They are real laptops.

yup.. only thing these things are missing are CD drives and a Full sized keyboard..

And who needs those when you have images or external USB ones

Do yourself a favor and buy a Lenovo S10.
  • IdeaPad S10 Model 4231 (North America)
  • Intel ATOM Processor N270 Single Core ( 1.60GHz 533MHz 512KB )
  • Windows XP Home Edition ULCPC
  • 10.2 WSVGA AntiGlare TFT with integrated camera 1024x600
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
  • 512 MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz(Upgradeable to 2GB)
  • 80GB 5400RPM(Upgradeable)
  • Fujitsu MHZ2080BH-G2 80GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
  • Hitachi Travelstar 5K320 HTS543280L9A300 80GB 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
  • Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
  • 3 Cell Lithium-Ion(Upgradeable to 6-cell)
  • Dimensions 9.8" x 7.2" x 1.1"
.. And the mods are endless. No problems with a 10 inch screen, they're much more enjoyable than you'd imagine. I was really put off by it and pickedone up anyways. Battery life may be an issue, and if you're main use is for college classes, Id highly consider either getting a spare battery or goingwith a 6-cell.

Originally Posted by Phouvieng

Do yourself a favor and buy a Lenovo S10.
  • IdeaPad S10 Model 4231 (North America)
  • Intel ATOM Processor N270 Single Core ( 1.60GHz 533MHz 512KB )
  • Windows XP Home Edition ULCPC
  • 10.2 WSVGA AntiGlare TFT with integrated camera 1024x600
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
  • 512 MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz(Upgradeable to 2GB)
  • 80GB 5400RPM(Upgradeable)
  • Fujitsu MHZ2080BH-G2 80GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
  • Hitachi Travelstar 5K320 HTS543280L9A300 80GB 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
  • Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
  • 3 Cell Lithium-Ion(Upgradeable to 6-cell)
  • Dimensions 9.8" x 7.2" x 1.1"
.. And the mods are endless. No problems with a 10 inch screen, they're much more enjoyable than you'd imagine. I was really put off by it and picked one up anyways. Battery life may be an issue, and if you're main use is for college classes, Id highly consider either getting a spare battery or going with a 6-cell.
What's good PEETY

In my opinion, more-so than just that. I know of plenty of people that are running netbooks as full on laptops. My Lenovo s10 has become my main computer and Ihaven't turned on my desktop since the purchase of it(s10).

Should I be worried about going blind trying to see the small screen?

I have no troubles and I'm as blind as a bat. I like to think of these as 'smaller' screens, but not 'small'(if that makes sense at all).

both are pretty whack in terms of typing since the keyboards are really small.. especially if you have big hands/fingers..

I've yet to have had a problem with typing, the only upsets I've had are the odd placing of 'CTRL' and 'SHIFT' on my keyboard.Although, with large hands/fingers, I can see there being an issue.

Can I run Office on it?

Yes, Office is runnable. I personally don't have a need for anything of the likes, but my sister uses hers for school and I was recommended a program bythe name of 'ThinkFree Mobile Netbook edition', which is a MS Office alternative.

I'm sure a media player app would be good too. They are real laptops.

My girl has Windows Media Player 11 with her whole DVD collection on hers. I don't like WMP personally and there are plenty of light and fast alternatives.

What's good PEETY

smokin.gif
- What's good fam?

Doesnt the S10 have heat issues? I heard it gets hotter than most netbooks out there. I myself just ordered an Acer Aspire One (The version w/ the 6 CellBattery) for $379 total, heard good things about it.

Would like to hear about these light and fast alternatives as far as media players go. Also what kind of formats can the Atom handle without problems?

SSD drives vs regular HDDs? Pros? Cons?

Keep Linux, get one with XP or just load XP on later?

Been leaning towards the 9 or 10 inch Asus lately.

They're so small/light that it wouldn't even seem like you're carrying a computer with you. In fact, I don't even think you would need aspecial backpack/bag to carry it in. However, I wouldn't want to use it for long because of the keyboard...

I've always been an IBM/Lenovo guy so I picked up an S10 over Christmas. Had it upgraded to 160gb HD, 6-cell battery and 2gb RAM. It's been great sofar. I highly recommend it.

Doesnt the S10 have heat issues? I heard it gets hotter than most netbooks out there. I myself just ordered an Acer Aspire One (The version w/ the 6 Cell Battery) for $379 total, heard good things about it.
I run mine quite extensively, and I haven't experienced any heating issues personally. But I have heard said issue with other owners as well.My sister has the Acer Aspire One as well, and I'll admit, I like that as well; Although, I haven't played with it much at all to give it my finalverdict.

Would like to hear about these light and fast alternatives as far as media players go. Also what kind of formats can the Atom handle without problems?

SSD drives vs regular HDDs? Pros? Cons?

Keep Linux, get one with XP or just load XP on later?

Been leaning towards the 9 or 10 inch Asus lately.
- http://www.videolan.org/vlc/http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ - VLC MediaPlayer

- I personally do not see SSD drives as an option as I use my s10 as a main computer. Music, Videos, Pictures, editing, etc.

- I'm a Windows guy and have never experienced Linux or any other OS for that matter. I intended on dual-booting my s10 with another OS to experiment with,but never got around to doing so yet. I guess it's all a matter of preference.

Got it in today, so glad I made this choice.

pimp.gif

It's gonna take a bit of getting used to, but it's a ridiculously cool piece of technology.

Pics below, with game and phone for size comparison.

30cos4y.jpg

30bdxqx.jpg

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Got it in today, so glad I made this choice.

pimp.gif

It's gonna take a bit of getting used to, but it's a ridiculously cool piece of technology.

Pics below, with game and phone for size comparison.

30cos4y.jpg

30bdxqx.jpg

pimp.gif
how much was this?

Back
Top Bottom