Does anyone use a netbook?

$424 from newegg.com. Free 2 day shipping.

Also ordered a 2GB ram and popped it in in like 10 seconds.

I was actually looking for a netbook recently for travel and basically came down to three options, the Samsung NC10, Dell Mini 9 and Lenovo S10.

Thinking about things further, I just decided to just save up more money and get a Sony TZ. I still use an optical drive way too much, and carrying around anexternal one really kills the purpose of getting a laptop. I also plan to sell my primary laptop (Sony S-Series, 13.3") and this way I can have just oneportable rather than switching off between 2 notebooks.

Sony also has a Netbook type system coming out (The "P"), but it's twice as expensive as other Netbook models.

Man, I really think I should get one, but I don't have the funds... I'm tired of carrying my Vaio (16.4in ftl) around school since it's so heavy.

Sony just came out with this one, it's clean but hella pricey for a netbook.
pocketmain.jpg

_MG_4759.jpg

pppp

_MG_4761.jpg

I think for x264 type files you'd need at least a dual core so until the dual core Atom CPU comes out I think most ppl are stuck with avi and such.

Originally Posted by fugualarmclock

Would like to hear about these light and fast alternatives as far as media players go. Also what kind of formats can the Atom handle without problems?

SSD drives vs regular HDDs? Pros? Cons?

Keep Linux, get one with XP or just load XP on later?

Been leaning towards the 9 or 10 inch Asus lately.
You will get less space on a solid state but if you drop your laptop or rough with it your harddrive wont break or lose data. From using SSD anda standard HD the difference is minimal just speed. If you run XP on the SSD its a bit slower but if you run linux or ubuntu it makes no difference.

AirForce1Queen: The Acer aspire one is a great choice only problem is the fan issue. Its extremely loud compared to other netbooks. Their is a fan controlsoftware out there for the Aspire one but then the laptop gets really hot if you turn off the fan.

That Sony looks sick, but doubling the price defeats the whole point of buying a netbook. Price was a huge factor for me.

After thinking it over I might postpone getting one for about 6 months when tech gets better or prices drop some more. Maybe by then the dual core Atom and a100+ GB SSD will be under $1,000.

Seeing something like this is crazy! 512GB SSD!
s121-2.jpg

Found it on page 6 of this report from CES2009 so for all I know it might not even come out.

Anyways since I don't need another laptop yet I'm going to wait since most reviews I've read cite thechipsets paired with the Atom weaken the energy efficiency of it or something. Besides who know's what'll come out 6 months from now?

Back
Top Bottom