Does anyone else ever be at work like "Yo, this can't be life"?

at the moment i'm having 12-14 hour days during a "slow season". that included commute. can get anywhere near 16-18 hours a day 6-7 times a week during busy season. i really don't mind what i do but there are really no benefits of me staying at my current job. don't really have cool coworkers and i've plateaued in what i can get from this job and i feel that the longer i stay here, the more detrimental it will be to my career. i don't have another job lined up but i plan to quit within the next month to travel and go back to school.

you have a lot of opportunity as an engineer with experience. nothing wrong with trying your hand at something better. but i respect where u are coming from in terms of financial stability.
i think the system should adapt to meet the needs of society, and as the needs of society change/evolve, so should the system to meet the demand. colleges should stop offering bullsht degrees esp the colleges that cost an arm and both nuts.

instead, only offer programs that yield a workforce ready to meet the needs to society. mandate coursework on financial responsibility/how to invest so people can manage their income better...i feel like that would lead to a more stable economy. my guess at least.

but yea i agree. Elizabeth Warren always says the system is rigged. and it really is. thousands of students go to college and sign their life away in debt getting a degree they don't realize will never benefit them, but the banks don't care. the fed govt makes a killing, and the private banks are about that loan forgiveness life after 10 yrs. or was it 20...
Some of my classmates going up on their 30's are still paying off debt. They have to delay areas of their life like buying a house, getting married, and putting money into retirement. This is going to haunt so many people for the rest of their lives. 

I would also agree with the sentiment that colleges should only offer degrees that will allow the society to meet workforce ready labor. Something similar is done here in the state of Hawaii. The bishop estate funds those of Hawaiian ethnicity in need based career pathways and requires them to work locally. For instance, teaching, marine science, some medical and health services and I think engineering still are fully funded and students will have a full ride or close to a full ride depending on where they study. That system works.....

I currently work 7-3 in an office everyday. This life is monotonous, but if the pay is looking right, then I could definitely see myself tolerating it 
ohwell.gif
 *shrug*

Gotta Masters . I currently work at Racetrac. Constantly trying to avoid old classmates from seeing me. I'm stuck until I pass my certification test. Which is hard as hell. My life is so average.

This thread reminds me of the YouTube video of misery bear goes to work.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to quit lurking...

Listen, bros (and Mouse)...when I say I know the feeling like I grew up with it, I mean that ****. Some of y'all might know my career change story. I spent damn near 4 years working in exactly the kind of soul-sucking environment spoken of here. 40 hours a week. All manila everything. Tweed suit boss man loved to say jump...good thing I stayed high, otherwise my departure may have come under different circumstances.

Anyway, long story short I decided one day that the corporate world wasn't for me and decided to develop a skill and sell it...for me, that skill is writing. I gained skill at my craft on their time and eventually was in a position where I could seize the opportunity. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a rough start, but now I make more than I did there...not saying all that much, but it's a nice thing to say.

I'm not going to go all out and say college is a waste of time and money, but you should know companies are working every day to eliminate or reduce (part-timers, intern "help") exactly the kind of job that a Bachelor's qualifies you for. Hell, my freelance *** probably took some full-time staff writer's jobs. Our parents grew up in a generation where a college degree was a voucher redeemable for a good job and solid quality of life...now it's closer to a really expensive raffle ticket in many cases.

Even worse is that most companies have ZERO loyalty when it comes to their employees...they'll demand the moon from you for $15 an hour then put your back pockets on the street as soon as their profits dip. That's not the kind of work arrangement I'm down for...it's why I've never given notice at any BS job, they sure wouldn't notify me a check in advance if they were going to fire me.

Overall, the traditional job market is not a worker friendly environment right now.

Now for a solution...it's obviously not for everybody, but it's for more people than are doing it. If there's one thing I can say about NT, it's that it's full of people with talent....marketable talent. All those Photoshops and **** are like a resume of graphic design. I know there are programmers, coders, and all other types of computer sorcerer on here. Every word you ever read on the Internet is written by someone who got paid to do it...hell, some of MLBshop.com is my work. 

A lot of y'all have skills, but you're not paying the bills with them. Why the **** not? There's a whole world of clients out there...best to find out how you can become a contractor.

**** these entry-level jobs. The future of employment is developing a skill and selling it to the highest bidder...at least, that's my theory.

Im using up PTO right now off for like 10 days. Will use this to my advantage. Would love to come back an quit.

Naj PhD. Props man

Last edited:
you have a lot of opportunity as an engineer with experience. nothing wrong with trying your hand at something better. but i respect where u are coming from in terms of financial stability.
i think the system should adapt to meet the needs of society, and as the needs of society change/evolve, so should the system to meet the demand. colleges should stop offering bullsht degrees esp the colleges that cost an arm and both nuts.

instead, only offer programs that yield a workforce ready to meet the needs to society. mandate coursework on financial responsibility/how to invest so people can manage their income better...i feel like that would lead to a more stable economy. my guess at least.

but yea i agree. Elizabeth Warren always says the system is rigged. and it really is. thousands of students go to college and sign their life away in debt getting a degree they don't realize will never benefit them, but the banks don't care. the fed govt makes a killing, and the private banks are about that loan forgiveness life after 10 yrs. or was it 20...

Why limit peoples options? If you're dumb enough to major in Basket Weaving then that's on you.

Technical schools equip people for the workforce.

Some of what you're complaining about should be addressed in the home or community.

Everyone can't be babied.

Listen, bros (and Mouse)...when I say I know the feeling like I grew up with it, I mean that ****. Some of y'all might know my career change story. I spent damn near 4 years working in exactly the kind of soul-sucking environment spoken of here. 40 hours a week. All manila everything. Tweed suit boss man loved to say jump...good thing I stayed high, otherwise my departure may have come under different circumstances.

Anyway, long story short I decided one day that the corporate world wasn't for me and decided to develop a skill and sell it...for me, that skill is writing. I gained skill at my craft on their time and eventually was in a position where I could seize the opportunity. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a rough start, but now I make more than I did there...not saying all that much, but it's a nice thing to say.

I'm not going to go all out and say college is a waste of time and money, but you should know companies are working every day to eliminate or reduce (part-timers, intern "help") exactly the kind of job that a Bachelor's qualifies you for. Hell, my freelance *** probably took some full-time staff writer's jobs. Our parents grew up in a generation where a college degree was a voucher redeemable for a good job and solid quality of life...now it's closer to a really expensive raffle ticket in many cases.

Even worse is that most companies have ZERO loyalty when it comes to their employees...they'll demand the moon from you for $15 an hour then put your back pockets on the street as soon as their profits dip. That's not the kind of work arrangement I'm down for...it's why I've never given notice at any BS job, they sure wouldn't notify me a check in advance if they were going to fire me.

Overall, the traditional job market is not a worker friendly environment right now.

Now for a solution...it's obviously not for everybody, but it's for more people than are doing it. If there's one thing I can say about NT, it's that it's full of people with talent....marketable talent. All those Photoshops and **** are like a resume of graphic design. I know there are programmers, coders, and all other types of computer sorcerer on here. Every word you ever read on the Internet is written by someone who got paid to do it...hell, some of MLBshop.com is my work. 

A lot of y'all have skills, but you're not paying the bills with them. Why the **** not? There's a whole world of clients out there...best to find out how you can become a contractor.

**** these entry-level jobs. The future of employment is developing a skill and selling it to the highest bidder...at least, that's my theory.

You the man AJ. Proud of you. :pimp:

bruh's
im so hype
cant nothing phase me
tomorrow my last day
today is payday
PLUS im a get that final check tomorrow
with my work hours for this week plus my vacation pay :pimp:
i got over 50 hours of vacation alone
im walking around like peter from spiderman 3 during that music scene
View media item 1035595

Why limit peoples options? If you're dumb enough to major in Basket Weaving then that's on you.

Technical schools equip people for the workforce.

Some of what you're complaining about should be addressed in the home or community.

Everyone can't be babied.

i feel you. although i think its a scam on the school's part to offer said bs degrees, i def hold it against people for even majoring in that madness...worse i hate when said people complain they can't get a job after school. like seriously, shoot yourself. who told you it was a good idea to major in theology or...idk baking? and yes it should be on the family to raise their kids with proper guidance, but i mean thats not realistic these days. most parents just leave it on the system to guide their kids to success. and that is flat out wrong. my mom wasn't one of those parents thankfully, and made sure i studied math hard growing up so i wouldn't be afraid of STEM majors in college.

i like this post. props. repped. like that.. "expensive raffle tickets" :lol:

entry level jobs are becoming the new okey doke. asking for 1-2 yrs experience. i wish that practice was made illegal somehow but i don't see that happening. even if u major in something good, the job hunt is a struggle, and one reason is that out the door grads don't have 1-2 yrs experience...

WELL NO ****, they were in COLLEGE :smh: i can't count how many times ive seen job postings like that. even engineering jobs throw that couple yrs exp for entry level. and a lot of these jobs are on the job training anyways so it absolutely makes no sense.

one more thing to rant about. the practice of not hiring very experienced people simply because they lost their jobs due to cost cutting, and can't find work again because they've been out of work too long.

that is just a travesty :smh:

I try not to be on that "I hate my job" tip, because there are a lot of people who would kill for a job PERIOD, but damn if I don't like this **** :lol:

I work retail man, and I was really thinking about it, and I realized that I don't nearly get paid enough for the **** that I'm able to do there. It doesn't look like it on the surface, but I picked up mad skills in my 2 years at that job: building a client base, connecting with clients, sales techniques, extensive product knowledge, brand presentation and arrangement, creative styling, all that ****.

And these ****** pay me peanuts son :smh:

I'm young, I'm still in school and I'm aiming for my Master's after I'm done with my BA, so I'm not like in any kind of hopeless situation, but it still feels really ****** up at times.

Anyone else relate?

P.S. I'm not on that Multi-Level-Marketing/Residual Income/pyramid scheme tip so curve with that

And this is why people lose.

As long as you keep "being thankful" that you have a job, like they're doing you a favor, they'll keep paying you with peanuts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom