Do you tip for takeout orders?

Idk but I've never had anyone pump my gas before...I'd honestly feel weird if someone did.
Oh ok, I misunderstood your first post. And yeah makes sense if you've never had it pumped for you. If you ever find yourself in NJ or Oregon, prepare yourself lol

What do you deem as bad service? I'm sure everyone has their own standards and some are pickier than others. Me personally, I'm not hard to please. I'm actually very understanding and I don't hold mistakes against servers. If you forget something on my order, spill food or drinks. I wouldn't hold that against you, everyone has an off day. Even if you don't check on me every 5-10 mins and make sure our glasses are full. At least be present if and when I call on you. Even with that I'll give a decent tip. I'm sure some people would consider that bad service and deduct something from the tip but I don't care that much about it. Now what I do care about is respect. If you disrespect me or my guest. Have an attitude if you're expected to do the bare minimum required of your job. That I can't tolerate, and depending on the severity of it will determine if you get a tip or not.

I am like you bro. As long as they don't ghost and aren't disrepectful, I am fine with the 20%. But I've met some really dope staff at restaurants and they've made special moments for me at family occasions, dates, birthday dinners, etc. so I always make sure to lookout.

When in AC did you & your boys tip the attendant? I do when I'm in NJ or at a full service station. Partly because I'm kind & partly because I don't want to be judged or called cheap if I don't tip lol.

So here is a curve ball...what if you don't have cash or small bills?!?

Thank god I had temp plates, that was a fine waiting to happen.

Wait...so you get FINED if you pump your OWN gas? This is like the opposite of Curb Your Enthusiasm episode this past week where Larry got shamed for letting the chauffer carry his bags :lol: If I was new to the area, I would want answers.

I honestly don't even care if a server checks in. If there's an issue, I'm gonna take the initiative to tell them.

I've only had to do that twice in the past two years though. Once for undercooked pasta and another for tuna crudo that was salty to the point of being virtually inedible.

I don't split checks anymore unless its a bottomless brunch spot where everyone pays the same.

The last time I split on a regulat night out, my portion was already valued at my meal + tip/tax. They was looking at me crazy because I scratched out the tip section. Told them other ****** at the table the rest is for them to pay; don't skimp out.

storm2006 storm2006 Good question because I have been in situations where I don't have cash. In that situation I tell them I got em next time. In the event where I had cash but no small bills or singles than I'd reach into my for-the-meter stash of quarters give 4 to them & ask for a dollar bill & than switch it to my other hand & give em the bill back as tip lol

I am like you bro. As long as they don't ghost and aren't disrepectful, I am fine with the 20%. But I've met some really dope staff at restaurants and they've made special moments for me at family occasions, dates, birthday dinners, etc. so I always make sure to lookout.

So here is a curve ball...what if you don't have cash or small bills?!?

Wait...so you get FINED if you pump your OWN gas? This is like the opposite of Curb Your Enthusiasm episode this past week where Larry got shamed for letting the chauffer carry his bags :lol: If I was new to the area, I would want answers.
It’s illegal and you can get fined but it’s rarely enforced. Locals know better and cops usually give out of towners a pass.

something similar happen to my sis. She ordered mcdonalds from ubereats for my daughter and her kid.

i wasnt there but apparently the delivery person wouldnt leave nor give the food until my sis upped the tip. Meaning in person.
Id swear, if that bs tactic happened while i was there **** wouldve gotten ugly.

these clowns are testing the customer to a point where violence is an option.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/05/doordash-driver-takes-food-back-after-receiving-8-tip/

It's apparently common practice.

Last edited:
Speaking of splitting bills, went out with a few years ago with this dude and his girl at the time. It was 4 couples total. Easy right? End of the night, those two tried to claim their card didn't work or wasnt on them. So another couple said okay we'll cover you, just cashapp us what your expense is... "I don't have a bank account so I can't do that" :stoneface: not sure how those cheapskate covered their meal, but my girl and I, plus another couple paid our **** and left. Never hung out with those cats again. If you ain't got it, stay yo *** at the crib

Speaking of splitting bills, went out with a few years ago with this dude and his girl at the time. It was 4 couples total. Easy right? End of the night, those two tried to claim their card didn't work or wasnt on them. So another couple said okay we'll cover you, just cashapp us what your expense is... "I don't have a bank account so I can't do that" :stoneface: not sure how those cheapskate covered their meal, but my girl and I, plus another couple paid our **** and left. Never hung out with those cats again. If you ain't got it, stay yo *** at the crib
You call them out and send them home. Don’t pay their **** and leave. All of a sudden they “find” the money

Bruh wtf :lol:
How does a couple even be down for this. My girl would go off if I asked her to participate in this stunt and be serious. “Babe let’s act like we don’t got it”

I don't split checks anymore unless its a bottomless brunch spot where everyone pays the same.

The last time I split on a regulat night out, my portion was already valued at my meal + tip/tax. They was looking at me crazy because I scratched out the tip section. Told them other ****** at the table the rest is for them to pay; don't skimp out.

Anyone play that CC roulette? I did it a few times when I was younger out of peer pressure.

Nope. Never felt the urge to pay the whole bill for 10 or more people. I pay my share and that's all.

I feel like restaurants have been better in recent years about splitting checks for large groups. Great if they do, I personally don’t care about splitting the check evenly. Anything to avoid that one person pulling out a pen and writing on the receipt what item to charge what card. I’m too old for that.

Usually one person puts it on his / her card to get all the points and everyone will give that person cash or venmo. Before apps like venmo, I used to always carry cash.

You getting PRESSURED into IT :lol:

What, you weren't trying to look broke or something?
That's exactly what it was. That's why I emphasized it happening when I was younger.

I guess it depends how many folks are there because there may be a good chance that you save a lot of money paying nothing than whatever it is you would have to pay if you split it evenly. Especially if you knew this going in and went the grimey route and went HAM with your drinks and entree selection :lol:

This country needs to just get rid of tipping. So many oppose it and don't tip anyway. I do wonder if bartenders and waiters would prefer higher consistent wages or keep things the same because some days the tips are extremely good.

I’ve known a number of servers and they all prefer the tipping system. Everyone remembers the best night when a whale walked in…

I do agree that we should get rid of it. It’s effectively making generous or empathic people subsidize everyone else.

Anyone that talks about "Still tipping for bad service" is just trying to flex and/or get social (media) brownie points.

As dumb as the American system is, it’s the one we have. In most restaurants, severs are paid below minimum wage and the expectation is that customers will supply the difference. If I had a bad day at work and my workplace used that as justification to not pay me, I’d have grounds for a lawsuit. Everyone has a bad day or a bad project eventually; that doesn’t justify withholding their pay. The consequence for continued bad service should be dismissal, but as long as the basic job of taking my order and getting my food to me is done, I view the basic part of the tip, 15-20% as due.

If service is so horrendous that I’m upset by the experience, I’ll ask to talk to a manager or even for a change in server, but I won’t withhold wages.

no flexing here. My tipping is between me and my server. I add it, sign, and close the book. i assume other people feel the way I do.

I’ve known a number of servers and they all prefer the tipping system. Everyone remembers the best night when a whale walked in…

I do agree that we should get rid of it. It’s effectively making generous or empathic people subsidize everyone else.

As dumb as the American system is, it’s the one we have. In most restaurants, severs are paid below minimum wage and the expectation is that customers will supply the difference. If I had a bad day at work and my workplace used that as justification to not pay me, I’d have grounds for a lawsuit. Everyone has a bad day or a bad project eventually; that doesn’t justify withholding their pay. The consequence for continued bad service should be dismissal, but as long as the basic job of taking my order and getting my food to me is done, I view the basic part of the tip, 15-20% as due.

If service is so horrendous that I’m upset by the experience, I’ll ask to talk to a manager or even for a change in server, but I won’t withhold wages.

no flexing here. My tipping is between me and my server. I add it, sign, and close the book. i assume other people feel the way I do.
Lol so you’re bailing out the manager by paying their employees. Naw, fix that bs

Lol so you’re bailing out the manager by paying their employees. Naw, fix that bs

I wanted to explain why someone (myself) might feel compelled to tip after receiving not great service.

The broader practice of tipping, which you criticize me for doing, is well-debated and I find the discussion frankly, fruitless. I’m sure I could search and find a half dozen threads on NT alone that tackled that subject with the only result that everyone got to walk away a little crankier and feeling very self-righteous.

Suffice it to say, tipping is a consistent behavior for me. I also “bailout” the federal government by donating to immigrant service organizations. And I “bailout” school districts by giving money to teachers so they can buy classroom supplies. And so on and so on.

Back
Top Bottom