Do you think the XIs are overrated?

Originally Posted by Benjamin Stone

I remember Craig Sager showing them off on TNT during a courtside segment at Game 2 of the 1995 Eastern Conference Semis. And my jaw slowly dropping.

I remember the Nike print ad with the single photo of the shoe and that phone number to listen to a recording of Spike Lee. Drooling.

I remember saving up enough money to buy a pair just before basketball season started.

And I remember my pair feeling like no other shoe I'd worn before, so responsive and stable.

Nothing else compared.

The Air Jordan XI has earned its iconic status.

So in my opinion - and from my point of view due to my own memories of the original release - the shoe is far from overrated. It was so far ahead of its time its ridiculous.

(I know. I'm old.)

I  can appreciate what you wrote here. For most heads who purchased these when they first released, they were innovative; one of a kind.
With that being said, I still think these shoes are overrated. Most of the people who are buying the XI's are kids who are jumping on the band wagon. 

The kids who buy them now who say they are original and innovative are full of CRAP!!! Patent leather, carbon fiber, clear soles - these all have been released after the XI's were released.

The newer generation of sneaker heads have no legitimate argument when saying they're innovative because better shoes have been released after these. Most sneaker heads weren't around for the originals to say how original they were. Kids are picking these up because "Older Sneakerheads" talk about how fresh these were. So when you have dudes like Sneakgeeks talking about how fresh these are because of bla bla bla, kids can't think for themselves and say the same thing and run out and purchase them.

It's all hype; these shoes are overrated in my opinion. But to each their own. 
eyes.gif

I remember Craig Sager showing them off on TNT during a courtside segment at Game 2 of the 1995 Eastern Conference Semis. And my jaw slowly dropping.

I remember the Nike print ad with the single photo of the shoe and that phone number to listen to a recording of Spike Lee. Drooling.

I remember saving up enough money to buy a pair just before basketball season started.

And I remember my pair feeling like no other shoe I'd worn before, so responsive and stable.

Nothing else compared.

So in my opinion - and from my point of view due to my own memories of the original release - the shoe is far from overrated. It was so far ahead of its time its ridiculous.

(I know. I'm old.)

I  can appreciate what you wrote here. For most heads who purchased these when they first released, they were innovative; one of a kind.
With that being said, I still think these shoes are overrated. Most of the people who are buying the XI's are kids who are jumping on the band wagon. 

The kids who buy them now who say they are original and innovative are full of CRAP!!! Patent leather, carbon fiber, clear soles - these all have been released after the XI's were released.

The newer generation of sneaker heads have no legitimate argument when saying they're innovative because better shoes have been released after these. Most sneaker heads weren't around for the originals to say how original they were. Kids are picking these up because "Older Sneakerheads" talk about how fresh these were. So when you have dudes like Sneakgeeks talking about how fresh these are because of bla bla bla, kids can't think for themselves and say the same thing and run out and purchase them.

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Me4u2Night

Nothing else compared.

(I know. I'm old.)

eyes.gif
This guy speaks the truth
pimp.gif
!!! To many pu$$y chasin kids hype these kicks. Glad some of yall know the history of the game
pimp.gif
!!!

Nothing else compared.

(I know. I'm old.)

eyes.gif
This guy speaks the truth
pimp.gif
!!! To many pu$$y chasin kids hype these kicks. Glad some of yall know the history of the game
pimp.gif
!!!

Nothing else compared.

(I know. I'm old.)

sounds like you mad da XI's have maintained their notoriety....
laugh.gif

Nothing else compared.

(I know. I'm old.)

sounds like you mad da XI's have maintained their notoriety....
laugh.gif

Nothing else compared.

(I know. I'm old.)

eyes.gif

This dude aint never lied. dude is right on point
smokin.gif

Nothing else compared.

(I know. I'm old.)

eyes.gif

This dude aint never lied. dude is right on point
smokin.gif

No. The shoe is what the consumer makes it. Just because everyone just so happens to love the XI's, doesn't necessarily mean they are overrated.

No. The shoe is what the consumer makes it. Just because everyone just so happens to love the XI's, doesn't necessarily mean they are overrated.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Is it me or do most of the dudes in this thread sound like 14 year old hypebeasts?
couldn't agree with you more. i felt like i was the oldest person waiting in line waiting for the cool grey xi's and i probably was (34 by the way, so i've been around). majority of people waiting to buy them were late teens to early 20's who had no clue why they like the shoes, just wanted them because everyone else did. still like the xi's, but only my 4th favorite jordan, after the vi's, iv's, and iii's. just my preference and that's what makes all of us different. wouldn't want everyone to agree with me, then it makes for boring conversation.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Is it me or do most of the dudes in this thread sound like 14 year old hypebeasts?
couldn't agree with you more. i felt like i was the oldest person waiting in line waiting for the cool grey xi's and i probably was (34 by the way, so i've been around). majority of people waiting to buy them were late teens to early 20's who had no clue why they like the shoes, just wanted them because everyone else did. still like the xi's, but only my 4th favorite jordan, after the vi's, iv's, and iii's. just my preference and that's what makes all of us different. wouldn't want everyone to agree with me, then it makes for boring conversation.

I know most of the retros that come out changed in some way or another........ But the way they changed the shape of the jordan XI and lowered the patent leather cut and changed the material
grin.gif
 ruin the Jordan XI for me. Just like a couple of yall I was lucky to have the Originals and 2001 retroes
pimp.gif
, I remember waiting in line going home and trying on the CDP XI and feeling
mad.gif

I have to say the Jordan XI is overrated, If your a NBA player and you are at the top of your game in 1995 and in 2011 your body is falling apart and your not putting up the same numbers you were in 95 but got more hype in 2011 than in 95 and still starting in the allstar game that year I would have to say OVERATED.............

If none of the latest XI's came out I wouldnt believe they are overated but minus the history behind the XI's how can you guys really think the 2010 cool grey XI is the greatest shoe of all time?
tired.gif

I know most of the retros that come out changed in some way or another........ But the way they changed the shape of the jordan XI and lowered the patent leather cut and changed the material
grin.gif
 ruin the Jordan XI for me. Just like a couple of yall I was lucky to have the Originals and 2001 retroes
pimp.gif
mad.gif

I have to say the Jordan XI is overrated, If your a NBA player and you are at the top of your game in 1995 and in 2011 your body is falling apart and your not putting up the same numbers you were in 95 but got more hype in 2011 than in 95 and still starting in the allstar game that year I would have to say OVERATED.............

If none of the latest XI's came out I wouldnt believe they are overated but minus the history behind the XI's how can you guys really think the 2010 cool grey XI is the greatest shoe of all time?
tired.gif

Originally Posted by nflowshoe

grin.gif
pimp.gif
mad.gif

tired.gif
The middle part sounds like a jab at KB24, if it is you're going to have a problem
mad.gif
!!

grin.gif
pimp.gif
mad.gif

tired.gif
The middle part sounds like a jab at KB24, if it is you're going to have a problem
mad.gif
!!

Originally Posted by penny4prezident

grin.gif
pimp.gif
mad.gif

tired.gif
mad.gif
!!

naw wasn't talking about kobe, we all know he is resting his body for the postseason 
wink.gif

I was trying to say that the 2009-11 jordan XI is like jordan when he was with the wizards.

grin.gif
pimp.gif
mad.gif

tired.gif
mad.gif
!!

naw wasn't talking about kobe, we all know he is resting his body for the postseason 
wink.gif

I was trying to say that the 2009-11 jordan XI is like jordan when he was with the wizards.

grin.gif
pimp.gif
mad.gif

tired.gif
mad.gif
!!

wink.gif

I got you, and very true. The "new" XI get more hype but are made not even half as durable
mad.gif
, JB knows how to get that $
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom