Do you have any unpopular opinions???VOL....2

Lately I’ve gotten to the point that I’m enjoying less the things of mid tier to upper mid tier quality that plaster their brand everywhere, and I’m getting more into the upper end brands that don’t plaster their brand almost anywhere. I find they’re usually made better and made to last, which I’m really into.

Example: Filson vs Carhartt

Carhartt has their patch loud and proud on their chest for most jackets, but the Filsons I see have very small (or none) Filson branding on the outside of their jackets. I like that. I still like Carhartt but I’m getting past the point of screaming what brand I’m wearing and more so buying things based on quality and being more quiet.
^this isn’t to start a quality debate between these brands.. I like both. Lol

Lately I’ve gotten to the point that I’m enjoying less the things of mid tier to upper mid tier quality that plaster their brand everywhere, and I’m getting more into the upper end brands that don’t plaster their brand almost anywhere. I find they’re usually made better and made to last, which I’m really into.

Carhartt has their patch loud and proud on their chest for most jackets, but the Filsons I see have very small (or none) Filson branding on the outside of their jackets. I like that. I still like Carhartt but I’m getting past the point of screaming what brand I’m wearing and more so buying things based on quality and being more quiet.

If you're interested in the heaviest and best quality hoodies and super heavyweight t-shirts made of the best cotton on the planet, check out Wonder Looper. Stuff is made in Japan, unbranded, and CRAZY quality (expensive though).

Man what Carhartt's logo is hella small. :lol:

I thought you were going with like Balenciaga or Gucci or sumn.

I think the term for that preference is called "stealth wealth". It was brought up in the Succession thread during the last season.

Someone on the show would have a basic, plain looking polo style shirt with no label and it would end up being like a $1000 lol

As someone else said, I thought you were gonna refer to some designer brand with giant lettering/logos :lol:
I used to be somewhat poor and initially spent a large part of my social media earnings on obnoxious designer t-shirts etc that were pretty much just a plain color with a big brand name plastered on it. Literally hustling backwards. Those old clothes weren't at all what I actually liked or what was most comfortable.

Nowadays I don't really have anything in my closet that has any distinguishable branding, unless someone happens to be really familiar with a brand's signature designs I guess.
At the end of the day people should wear whatever they like and feel comfortable in. If that happens to be giant brand names plastered everywhere, it is what it is.

If you're interested in the heaviest and best quality hoodies and super heavyweight t-shirts made of the best cotton on the planet, check out Wonder Looper. Stuff is made in Japan, unbranded, and CRAZY quality (expensive though).
Where do you buy it at

Man what Carhartt's logo is hella small. :lol:

I thought you were going with like Balenciaga or Gucci or sumn.
In comparison to Filson, Carhartt is kinda loud (to ME) since its patch is right on the chest pocket in plain view most of the time. I’ve looked for Carhartt jackets with no logo patch and simply cannot find them - almost thought about cutting mine off but I left it.

I’ve been eyeing a few Filsons and their most expensive jacket has no outer logo anywhere (at a Quick Look I did) and the other jacket I was looking at had a small logo tab on the hand warmer pocket, barely noticeable. The jacket I’m most likely gonna buy in a bit is slightly cheaper for them, and also has 0 outer branding outside of the button imprints.

Gucci and all that is fairly obvious, but I’m not in the market for Gucci and I’ve always found those brands cringe personally. Thus why it wasn’t my example. But yes you’re right they’re egregious :lol:

That stealth wealth steez.

Personally, Im at the point where I just wear whatever EYE like. From Wal Mart to LV, blank to logo monogram. Tbh the more random and obscure the better.

There is a Filson outlet by me so I get a lot of their stuff.
How do you like their stuff?

I don’t think I’ll ever need a tin cloth waxed jacket from them but I’m eyeing a dry wax canvas jacket they got. I’ve heard good things about Filson overall. I got a couple carhartts and swear by them, but the ones I have can be too warm for some situations.

In comparison to Filson, Carhartt is kinda loud (to ME) since its patch is right on the chest pocket in plain view most of the time. I’ve looked for Carhartt jackets with no logo patch and simply cannot find them - almost thought about cutting mine off but I left it.

I’ve been eyeing a few Filsons and their most expensive jacket has no outer logo anywhere (at a Quick Look I did) and the other jacket I was looking at had a small logo tab on the hand warmer pocket, barely noticeable. The jacket I’m most likely gonna buy in a bit is slightly cheaper for them, and also has 0 outer branding outside of the button imprints.

Gucci and all that is fairly obvious, but I’m not in the market for Gucci and I’ve always found those brands cringe personally. Thus why it wasn’t my example. But yes you’re right they’re egregious :lol:

Fit and finish of regular/vintage carharrts or Carhartt WIP >

They really are just built better. A tiny logo if you dont like logos I mean I think should be a pass. Its like 1x1 inches ffs. :lol:

How do you like their stuff?

I don’t think I’ll ever need a tin cloth waxed jacket from them but I’m eyeing a dry wax canvas jacket they got. I’ve heard good things about Filson overall. I got a couple carhartts and swear by them, but the ones I have can be too warm for some situations.

Some of their stuff is severely over priced but when I’m getting made in America tees for 15 bucks vs the retail of 40 I can’t complain.

I got a bunch of tees from there that are quality and some shorts too and a hat.

I’m sure the jacket is going to last a million years if you get it.

I don’t get any carhart it doesn’t fit me ever.

Some of their stuff is severely over priced but when I’m getting made in America tees for 15 bucks vs the retail of 40 I can’t complain.

I got a bunch of tees from there that are quality and some shorts too and a hat.

I’m sure the jacket is going to last a million years if you get it.

I don’t get any carhart it doesn’t fit me ever.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I’m mainly just eyeing their jackets. I see they make some other stuff too like bags hats and shirts but I’m really just hoping to cop a lifetime jacket with little to no branding and that should be it

Where do you buy it at

They are smaller batch stuff, so it comes in waves. Not a lot in stock right now, but worth following to find restocks or seasonal drops. They sell direct and through a few stockists. All of their stockists carry other great quality stuff that largely has less branding as well (Dehen 1920, Orslow, Freenote Cloth, Iron Heart, Jackman, Merz B. Schwanen, Naked & Famous, Warehouse & Co., Rogue Territory, etc.).

Wonder Looper
James Dant (my local spot)
Iron Pyrite
Standard & Strange
Tate and Yoko
Blue Owl Workshop

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I’m mainly just eyeing their jackets. I see they make some other stuff too like bags hats and shirts but I’m really just hoping to cop a lifetime jacket with little to no branding and that should be it

Yeah it will last million years dude. I got a belt from them that’s like 5 years old and it looks brand new. All their stuff is quality.

Can't speak from experience cause I only have a couple of WIP pieces but I know a lot of people complain about the quality of modern Carhartt and filson actually. Like I said, don't know if it's true but it's definitely something I see a lot.

That’s my beef with carhartt. I used to wear their pants for work. They changed up the sizing or f’ed it up somehow and the pants blow out after 3 months.

I cop some Kirkland pants and they last longer. :lol:

I thought the WIP was the “fashion” side and then there was an actual work clothes side that was just regular “Carhartt”.

Can't speak from experience cause I only have a couple of WIP pieces but I know a lot of people complain about the quality of modern Carhartt and filson actually. Like I said, don't know if it's true but it's definitely something I see a lot.
I’ve heard a few grumbles about Filson but I think it’s probably cause they moved production from the US a few years back? Idk not too sure. They use the same materials as before from what I see.

This is in reference to the jackets I’m researching. ^

As far as Carhartts go - I have two jackets from their regular line and they are really great. Super warm, durable, and look great broken in. It’s been two years with both of them so far and I have no issues other than it can get a little warm with it on if I’m out running errands and going in and out of stores or something.

They served me well in a winter storm down in SoCal a little while back. I also got caught in a downpour storm when the serpentine belt in my truck got tangled up and I had to work on it in heavy rain in a parking lot.. even crawled under it in a puddle to button some things up and it performed great.

IMG_3168.jpeg

I’ve heard a few grumbles about Filson but I think it’s probably cause they moved production from the US a few years back? Idk not too sure. They use the same materials as before from what I see.

This is in reference to the jackets I’m researching. ^

As far as Carhartts go - I have two jackets from their regular line and they are really great. Super warm, durable, and look great broken in. It’s been two years with both of them so far and I have no issues other than it can get a little warm with it on if I’m out running errands and going in and out of stores or something.

They served me well in a winter storm down in SoCal a little while back. I also got caught in a downpour storm when the serpentine belt in my truck got tangled up and I had to work on it in heavy rain in a parking lot.. even crawled under it in a puddle to button some things up and it performed great.

IMG_3168.jpeg

I've never bought into the "moved production overseas" so the quality drops argument. It's more the level of QC and quantities produced rather than it actually being made overseas that's usually the issue.

But either way I think you'll be fine. Doesn't seem like yourlll be wearing it very hard. It's the guys like mplsdunk mplsdunk that actually use their workwear for work that seem to have real issues. The fashion crowd just likes to complain.

I've never bought into the "moved production overseas" so the quality drops argument. It's more the level of QC and quantities produced rather than it actually being made overseas that's usually the issue.

But either way I think you'll be fine. Doesn't seem like yourlll be wearing it very hard. It's the guys like mplsdunk mplsdunk that actually use their workwear for work that seem to have real issues. The fashion crowd just likes to complain.
That’s fair and from da horses mouf he sayin Filson still holds up so I’ll take that to the bank

Back
Top Bottom