*****Discussion for ambitious college students (warning: might be thought-provoking)*****

Sometimes, I feel this school gig is useless. I never told anybody this, but I feel nowadays it is important to get a degree in and of itself. But when I seekids ___ for the difference between 3.5 and 4.0 and I just say whatever. The economy is getting worse. I 'may' be over-generalizing here but Idon't want to sit compete for a "vastly more selective job as compared to when Bush first took office" and be in the rat race. I feel like I wantto start my own business and I would be in position because some ppl coming out of college can't find a job and if I can offer that, I win because ofcapitalism. i skip years of the corporate ladder and i become a leader where i feel MOST natural. i don't know EXACTLY what business i want to start yet{most people would stop reading after that lol} but I can just ------feel----- it is the right thing to do.

My parents can't really understand what I am talking about; some colleagues agree with what I say; some are stuck thinking I'm going to get good gradesand automatically get a good job. Who is to say if the economy is going to get better or worse? I am playing on the safe side thinking it will get worse,especially all the information I am learning about how the government is much more corrupt than I thought. I am sure people are holding ----HIGH HOPES---- forBarack Obama but the trend doesn't seem like things will recover. Add a growing China, India, and South America rapidly growing into the picture.

I hear of college graduates coming out (4.0 brilliant students nonetheless) who cannot find a job. I don't mean to scare anyone. But for any of myserious-minded fellow amibitious college students who thought about this stuff; let's put our brains together. win-win scenario for who knows how manypeople will reply to this thread. together, let's find the "diamonds in the rough".

positives:

- looming baby boomers retirement
- technology vastly improving
- communication advancements
- real estate market is a dream if you can get funding
- so much information on internet

negatives:

- college debt increasing (tuition going up)
- countries catching up to us
- United States's government in a freefall
- banks being more scared about giving loans
- (might have to edit this bullet; our generation's population being larger than baby boomers meaning more competition)

Thoughts? Ideas?

get a degree go officer in armed forces... no insurance to pay for, no housing to pay for.. retire at age 38...

life is skate

A few things as a college grad I could help. I think you're worrying too much about the economy. Yeah it's bad, but it is out of your control. As faras college goes, if you have any doubts about going, dont go. with tuition steadily increasing dont go if you have second thoughts. Above all you seem toopessimistic.

You got it right. At least we can open people's minds and we can be better equiped. knowledge= power pardon the cliché

Where's that Goldman-Sachs intern who insists on never wearing a tie? He should know the most about how to be successful in this field.

Jokes aside, I too am a bit nervous of joining the workforce when I do.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

A few things as a college grad I could help. I think you're worrying too much about the economy. Yeah it's bad, but it is out of your control. As far as college goes, if you have any doubts about going, dont go. with tuition steadily increasing dont go if you have second thoughts. Above all you seem too pessimistic.

Thank you for your first reply to the thread, krazy88s. It could be that I am worrying too much about the economy. But look ----> Turn on the news, anystation for 30 minutes and tell me that isn't a subtle wake-up call.

With your second point, I believe that having a college degree will open doors for you. It is possible to get by with a high school diploma, but harder. Iwould rather have a college degree, not to mention more and more people are going to college after high school as compared with earlier generations. In the50's you could may be get by with a high school education but you get my point.

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Where's that Goldman-Sachs intern who insists on never wearing a tie? He should know the most about how to be successful in this field.

Jokes aside, I too am a bit nervous of joining the workforce when I do.

Glad you joined the topic, Dynamic X. True, it is that we cannot control the economy on a micro-level scale. BUT, having the knowledge to navigate will give usall the tools we need to make wise decisions. IT IS OUR FUTURE (or your future lol) whether we want to or not, our generation will be the instrument forchange.

- (might have to edit this bullet; our generation's population being larger than baby boomers meaning more competition)
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]That's where the H1N1 vaccine comes into play.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In the words of Prince Philip:[/color]
In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, in order to contribute something to solve overpopulation.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

i dont know what field your interested in but a BA is not going to cut it
you cant expect to get a job with a Bachelors anymore.. undergraduate schools are institutes of higher education and not keys to careers
itd be wise to go to a professional school med/law/business/trade

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

i dont know what field your interested in but a BA is not going to cut it
you cant expect to get a job with a Bachelors anymore.. undergraduate schools are institutes of higher education and not keys to careers
itd be wise to go to a professional school med/law/business/trade
GREAT point you brought up. Heartofthacity, it was like going to college gave you a leg-up on competition but slowly now it is becoming a norm.Graduate school degree would be DANGEROUS (add some internship ---> read:experience) to have going into a job interview.

(This paragraph is just rambling.) Kids going ____ over the difference between 3.5 and 4.0 is silly to me because employers will mostly care about EXPERIENCE.you can bring a bunch of 100% completely left-brained people. this in my opinion, is where your intuition helps you (The end of my rambling.)

As a senior in college, most people being critical over 3.5 and 4.0 during undergrad are trying to go to graduate school or law school or medical school.Typically, admission to those things (although any school will say otherwise) is primarily based on your test scores and GPA. A slight deviation in scores orGPA could suddenly put you 10% further up or down on the raw numbers criteria--which could make you too low for their average acceptance, and screw up yourhopes/plans.

You're right about college not being the differentiating factor that it once was. That is exactly why it is in your best interest to go ahead and finishbecause it will take a degree just to make you look competitive with other applicants, on paper. I had been taking it lightly in college as far ashour-per-semester load goes, but I finally started buckling down and taking 18-hour semesters and 12 hour summers and now I'm coming upon my final semestera year sooner than I was originally on course for. I always tell people, "if you're going to go to college, do it as fast and efficiently as youpossibly can--because if you take too long, you're going to feel like it will never end."

I think a powerful tool in getting jobs is having a good looking resumé. That is, have good stuff to put on it, of course, but also format it well. Your choicewith fonts and with layout can make a difference. Being able to swallow your pride for a lower starting position helps, too. I am now making 25% of my previousemployment's income, but I get to work at a firm I can actually try to grow with, and I have a light enough work schedule to actually make progress inschool while working, as well.

Today, unless you go to a school with a very powerful alumni association, an ivy league school, or have established a lot of good networking connections,you're probably not going to have a career-based job immediately after college ends. Since the first two of those criteria are not really within your powerif you're already in a school, you have to network. We all know the old cliché, but it does play a strong role in employment.

BUT DON'T BE DISCOURAGED IF YOU HAVEN'T CAN'T NETWORK.

At my current internship, everybody was asking me, "how did you get this position?" and, "who do you know here?" And the answers were thatI knew nobody and I got it because I can put together an attractive resumé and handle interviews very well. Thus, appearance is a very important factor.Interviews allow them to apply every prejudice and discriminatory factor to you and see if you can still make the cut. Look in the "Dressing Better"post and take heed to the more business-like outfits and you will find yourself a step ahead of other interviewees--honestly.

To be truly blunt, if you're not going to be competitive in school or in the job acquisition process, there is a high likelihood that you will just getleft behind or left in an unsatisfactory position. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but you need to look outside of just your particular class room andschool. There are A LOT of competitive students/people out there--I'm one of them, now.

Starting your own business isn't a "get out of going to school" scheme. Unless you're already wealthy, there's a good chance that yoursmall business will be nothing more than a small dream (if you're lucky) or a big burden of debt to lenders (if you're unlucky). Of the small businessowners that I know, personally, the ones that have been most successful are the ones that were wealthy already. This is because they didn't have to takeout loans to start.

Yes, a job out of college is not guaranteed when you graduate but it doesn't mean a college education is useless. A bachelor's can only help you butyou shouldn't stop there. I suggest people continue their education and go to grad or professional school and you'll truly differentiate yourself inthe job market.

As far as starting your own business, wouldn't you be subjected to the same economic factors that others are experiencing? If you're having troublegetting a job, then that means business is slow so you would have trouble generating sales if you were to start your own business.

positives:

- looming baby boomers retirement

The baby boomers getting older is a huge benefit in the health care field. I don't know what your aim is or your interest but if you want ansecure job (for the most part) I would say look into health care. No matter how bad this economy is, people are always going to get sick. It may seem bad, butits the truth. By the baby boomers getting old now, we have a HUGE clientele and therefore more opportunities for work. I am doing physical therapy right now,and my aim is to open my own facility and become a physical therapy directer (100k a year).

P.S. this is the best first post I have ever seen lol

Edit: i dont know what field your interested in but a BA is not going to cut

Exactly

you just gotta have a plan everything else will fall into place...bio engineering is where im going to be at in less than 3 years...after that we'll see iwas thinking to continue schooling and go to a law school but right now im on my 3 years plan...be optimistic my man this is your life your talking about

Does this apply to Computer Science majors or anyone in the realm of computers?
I'm always told there isn't enough techs to fill the void,and I feel this thread harbors people who are into buisness, law etc.
Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by SuprDuperFly

Does this apply to Computer Science majors or anyone in the realm of computers?
I'm always told there isn't enough techs to fill the void,and I feel this thread harbors people who are into buisness, law etc.
Any thoughts?
It really depends on what field you are planning on getting into. I'm only a 21 year old senior CS major but through networking, I have gaineda lot of insight into the field. I would say that more important than grades, school and even experience, networking and who you know is key. I got myinternship through talking to family members who were able to get me an internship at one of the fastest growing IT firms in my area. It was all by luck. Bythen end the summer I was training people who had years of more experience then me and came from better schools. I heard that 80% of jobs are never advertisedso networking is extremely important and shouldn't be ignored.

As for getting for getting your masters in a CS related field, it helps but is not necessary. If your trying to work at fortune 500 companies or prestigiousfirms then a masters is definitely something you should look into.

I dont know much about programming, but I would think that experience and your level of skill would be key. What field are you looking into?

Back
Top Bottom