Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I moved to Shanghai this summer because jobs are easier to get here and the night life is ridiculous......then I found out NBA league pass international doesnt include China and their messed up commie internet blocks all youtube videos (I cant view all the videos thats been posted here and it's pissing me off). Now I'm thinking about moving back just so I won't miss my Laker games..SRS

I would be on the first flight back lol
I'd give it serious consideration if you're a die hard fan of the Lakers or basketball in general. They're starting 3 current All-NBA players and another all star caliber guy. One of the most talented starting 5s in the history of the game. I would HATE to miss this team play.

If it were me, my decision would hinge on whether I can find comparable employment back home.

Lol oh yeah I'm waiting on that...
"Nash is too old" "Dwight doesn't want to be here" "Pau is soft"....
Yeah we will see all of that with just a 2 game losing streak... Lord please don't lose 3 in a row...

Tupac you going to be in LA and be at Staples on 11-16 against the Suns and the same night they unveil Kareem's statue outside Staples ?

I got my tickets for this game already.

For Lakers Coach Mike Brown, pressure is part of job description

The finishing touches were being added to the turkey sandwich when the deli worker spoke.

"Are you the Laker coach?"

Mike Brown barely had time to answer before the follow-up was blurted out.

"How's Dwight's back?"

It's what Brown faces day to day as the ego-less one revolving around the Lakers' stars, the guy in charge of making sure a $100-million payroll doesn't do a face plant.

The last two seasons were exactly that, with the Lakers fading badly and winning once in a combined nine games in the Western Conference semifinals.

At least the sandwich artist spared Brown another reminder, about the accompanying pressure on a coach with so many expensive new pieces on the roster.

Most Lakers followers see only one acceptable equation: Dwight Howard + Steve Nash + Kobe Bryant + Pau Gasol + Antawn Jamison = championship.

"People always ask, 'Well, what about the pressure?'" Brown said Friday in an interview with The Times. "I'll take this any day of the year as opposed to the pressure of trying to figure out how to get my guys going after we've lost 15 in a row.

"I'm not coaching just because I enjoy it or just because I enjoy being around the players. I'm coaching to win and all my decisions are going to be what's best for the team and how we attain that goal."

Brown, 42, doesn't sound like a nervous guy heading into the second season of a four-year, $18-million deal. Training camp begins Tuesday and the Lakers' opener is Oct. 30 against Dallas.

The expectations are enormous again around here, apparently written in indelible ink that the Lakers will get their revenge against Oklahoma City in the West and blast Miami in the NBA Finals.

Brown holds up his hand, though, and points to a similar time when a championship parade was supposed to work its way down Figueroa. Yep, the 2003-04 season has already come up in a conversation with Bryant.

"At the end of the day, he understands he was part of a team here in L.A. that had a young Kobe, a Shaquille [O'Neal] in his prime, Karl Malone at the end of his career and Gary Payton. And they had a nice supporting cast," Brown said.

"They didn't get it done. They didn't win a championship like everybody thought they would when they put the team together. He knows it's going to be a challenge and that we have to go get it."

The Lakers lost meekly to Detroit in five games in the 2004 Finals.

To answer the earlier question, there's no timetable for Howard's return from surgery five months ago to repair a herniated disk in his back.

"He's progressing fairly well," Brown said. "He's working out on the floor with some of our coaches. Every once in a while one of our coaches will play defense on him but he hasn't got to the point where he's playing five-on-five or four-on-four. I don't want to rush him. Backs can be a tricky thing, especially this point in the season. I told him to take his time."

Howard won't be the only one learning on the fly when he returns. Brown is installing the Princeton offense, the backdoor, quick-cutting scheme that is markedly different from prototype NBA sets.

"For a lot of years, this team scored a lot in an offense that is not your traditional offense when it comes to the NBA game," Brown said, referring to Phil Jackson's triangle system. "When you look at the Princeton offense, the spacing is terrific, the body movement is terrific, the ability to make timely passes that lead to baskets is great. When you have a very intelligent team like we do, I think you can take advantage of people's mistakes."

Nash, however, has spent most of his career thriving in pick-and-roll situations. He would be allowed to create them if he felt the need, said Brown, who committed to the Princeton offense before the Lakers acquired Nash in July.

"He's a guy that you can put the ball in his hands and tell him to create a play," Brown said. "Chris Paul is a guy that you can put the ball in his hands and tell him the same thing. Pau Gasol and Metta [World Peace] are great decision-makers but they're not necessarily going to break their defender down and drop the ball off to Kobe for a wide-open shot. But because they're intelligent they can break down the defense if they're put in situations to make plays. There were just a lot of advantages of going to this system."

Gasol averaged a career-low 17.4 points last season. He then tumbled to only 12.5 points a game in the playoffs.

"He went through a tough season," Brown said. "It seems like every time somebody wants to think of a trade, they throw Pau's name in there. Maybe that should be flattering instead of bothersome. He had a terrific Olympics and I imagine he's got to come back feeling pretty good knowing he could still be part of something special."

Brown even had kind words for World Peace, whose 2011-12 season was remarkable for all the wrong reasons.

"Metta looks real good," Brown said. "His body, his attitude, everything about him is in a really good place. The way he's been shooting the ball, the way he's been defending, the way he's been handling the ball, all those little aspects of his game have been off the charts in pickup games."

In the end, there's still the weight of what's supposed to happen this season after back-to-back playoff flame-outs.

"We all have to respect the fact that the Oklahoma City Thunder were the Western Conference champions. Excuse me, they are the Western Conference champions," Brown said. "And the Miami Heat are the NBA champions.

"Everybody can talk all they want to talk, which is good, because it's great to have that buzz in town, but we have to go through them if we expect to go anywhere because they are the guys on top right now. We're looking up to them, or whatever you want to call it."

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...kers-mike-brown-20120929,0,5891334,full.story

I don't know why but I feel really good about Metta this year. I can't even explain it.
Maybe its because he's been very quiet. Maybe its because he looks like he is in incredible shape (no romo).
Maybe its because we're not going to need him at all offensively so he can just focus on clamping down on defense and giving us hustle plays.

I don't know the exact reason, but for now I am glad we did not amnesty him. We have a lot of offensive firepower but we need a player like Metta to go after all the loose balls and give us that toughness.

He might prove me wrong, who knows I could be really off and he can stink it up, but I am excited to see how he gels with our team this year since he looks so motivated. :nthat:

^ He does seem a lot more focused...

I hope next off-season we work out a deal with him rather than using the amnesty (right now this is his last season with the Lakers according to most people)... Along the lines of asking him to decline his player option and using full bird rights to pay him what he would have made over 2 seasons... Saves us $3.86 mil next year which is more than the mini-MLE and put it toward the 1 of 3 spots it is needed for next year (Backup PG, Backup SF, Backup PF (Jamison only signed a 1 year deal)).

Last edited:
Honestly Metta his whole time here he's frustrated me.But not the same way that pissed me off and made me not a fan of Odom when he was in the purple & gold.

I know Odom is loved by a lot of NT'ers but yeah come at me Odom fans.

It would be really nice though if Metta could get back somewhat close to his DPOY years.I know he ain't shutting down Durant or Lebron.

But I mean really though the depth for the SF position for the Lakers is really weak. Ebanks got his chances last year both early in the season and in the playoffs and dude just sucked.He was in Mike Brown's dog house for awhile last season because he wasn't rebounding or playing good enough defense

Last edited:
metta has been great as a laker. help to win a title and i loved when he punked blake griffin and most of the clipper team. the clippers have no intimidating players. they are like the new phoenix suns.

matt barnes barely signed and he saying this is the closest team he ever been on? lol

lol @ paul saying he can tell blake anything... sounding like an after school special :lol: mad fruity..

Who should be primary backup during Steve Blake's recovery?

By Mark Medina
September 28, 2012, 10:52 a.m.
Before training camp even begins, the Lakers have injuries to monitor.

Of course, there's Dwight Howard's ongoing back surgery and whether he will suit up for the regular-season opener Oct. 30 against the Dallas Mavericks. But there's also the bizarre case of Lakers guard Steve Blake, who the team said suffered a puncture wound in his left foot after stepping on a parking lot spike strip.

The Lakers don't expect either to be long-term injuries. Howard may miss a handful of games. Blake's only estimated to stay sidelined for three weeks. So it's likely most of their absence will happen in training camp.

I've already documented how the Lakers should adjust to Howard's absence. But at least for most of the preseason games, Blake's absence also opens up the backup point guard spot for Chris Duhon and Darius Morris. Who should take the backup spot? Below is a tale of the tape:

Why Duhon should be the backup: Giving Duhon the role would be considered the safe decision because of his experience level as an 8-year veteran. But Duhon also has proven to be a solid defender, and could actually upgrade that position. Duhon's shooting, ball handling and conditioning have been issues in the past, but he pledged that he's worked extensively all offseason in improving in those areas. Take those proclamations for what they're worth, but training camp should prove to be a prime opportunity to prove that he's addressed those weaknesses. Duhon also spent time this offseason working with Steve Nash, Blake and assistant coach Phil Handy on going over the offense.

Even though Morris remains a consummate worker, it's far too presumptuous to say whether that has translated yet to the NBA level. He showed some promise last year, but faced limited playing time partly because his game wasn't fully developed. Morris, by all accounts, has taken great measures this offseason in improving his craft. But it's hard to determine to what degree offseason workouts and Summer League play will elevate his game.

Why Morris should be the backup: Despite his inexperience, Morris has a better handle, shooting touch and confidence than Duhon. Morris has also proven that he's willing to work endlessly so his game improves. He pored over film on pick-and-roll sequences. Morris bulked up on muscle. The Lakers coaching staff liked how Morris improved his on-court decision-making and shooting form during Summer League.

In previous years, Duhon hasn't shown the same track record. Even though Duhon shot 42% last season from three-point range, he lacked consistency with shots from 3 to 9 feet (23%) and 16 to 23 feet (38%). With a high turnover rate (27.6%) and low assist ratio (19%), Duhon also struggled last season in running the Magic offense. Morris may have struggled at times running the offense last year. But that spoke more to his tendency to try to do too much and less with fundamental weaknesses.

Verdict: It's training camp. Blake also will take his backup spot back once he fully rehabs. So there's no need for Lakers Coach Mike Brown to designate a definitive backup role yet. Duhon and Morris should receive their fair share of playing time and show what they can do.

Nonetheless, if Blake's rehab goes longer than expected, my hunch is that Morris should get the minutes. He's more suited to running the offense and he'd likely add more quickness to an otherwise methodical team.

:smokin

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see Morris, Ebanks, DJO, and Goude get chances to improve and grow while the vets are still here to save their butts when it gets thick. As said, adds youth and energy to the team, gives them a little speed,, some hustle. Add Jordan Hill to that, and we would have enough youth to help out our old dudes. :smokin

I would LOVE to see Morris, Ebanks, DJO, and Goude get chances to improve and grow while the vets are still here to save their butts when it gets thick. As said, adds youth and energy to the team, gives them a little speed,, some hustle. Add Jordan Hill to that, and we would have enough youth to help out our old dudes. :smokin

:pimp: I like the way you think sir

Having 2 or all of these guys in the game at the same time is when the Lakers would blow 15 or 20 point leads and a whole lot of NT Laker fans would go crazy & lose their minds on here :lol:

So I was helping a family member move into their new place a couple weeks ago and some ADT guys were installing a new alarm system in the new crib.

Turned out, I never knew ADT owned DirectTV, so I ask them what was up with the Laker channel, one of them told me they get non stop calls about it, so he said we'd have to order something called the Sports Regional Network (almost positive that was the name) and it would add about $3 and some change to the current DTV bill. Atleast I got it confirmed but I got too exited and I made the mistake of forgetting to ask when it becomes available.

So I was helping a family member move into their new place a couple weeks ago and some ADT guys were installing a new alarm system in the new crib.
Turned out, I never knew ADT owned DirectTV, so I ask them what was up with the Laker channel, one of them told me they get non stop calls about it, so he said we'd have to order something called the Sports Regional Network (almost positive that was the name) and it would add about $3 and some change to the current DTV bill. Atleast I got it confirmed but I got too exited and I made the mistake of forgetting to ask when it becomes available.

I would take that info with a grain of salt.

All TWC SportsNet and Directv have been telling people asking about the new channels is "We are in negotiations and hope to provide an update closer to the start of the NBA regular season".

Based on all the articles I've read about this.The big road blocks are first how much TWC is asking it's competitors to charge per month to the consumers.Reports have said they are asking for about $3.95 a month.Another sticking point is companies like Directv probably want to carry the channels if they can offer it a la carte in a sports tier package.TWC & the Lakers on the other hand are saying no and they want it added to the basic level channel line up's. TWC customers in the Lakers DMA areas are getting it in the basic channel package levels and don't need to subscribe to TWC "Sports Pass" channel tier which is another $5 or $8 a month which includes NBATV, NFL Red Zone channel, Tennis channels, and some other random sports channels. But on the flip side though TWC customers outside of Cali like for example TWC customers in NYC can get the Lakers new channel if they subscribe to the "Sports Pass" tier.Those customers will see the Lakers related shows & content but the actual live games will get blacked out and they will need NBA League Pass to watch Laker games.

Last edited:
I can't lie I'm still worried about backup PG & Backup SF... PG more so than SF. Just because the drop off from Nash is HUGE.. Also because in a worst case Jamison will end up between SF & PF. And to make up for some of the time either Hill gets more minutes at PF to go with Center.. Or Earl Clark gets a handful of minutes at PF.... I also am not sure how the rotation will work for Dwight & Pau. Will they always be out there together, or will it be staggered.

I'm sure 1 of which will be handled at the trade deadline where Mitch convinces a team to give us somebody for nobody..

But I'd be much more relieved if we could have 1 of those spots fixed before the season...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom