Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dont pass the buck and say, my missed free throws werent the reason we lost.

I understand as fans we want players to take accountability for their shortcomings. You're right, but so is Dwight. His free throws aren't THE reason why we lost, but those misses played a factor. IMHO, Dwight's free throw struggle doesn't crack the Top 3 problems we had. Defense, Offensive Rebounds, and Turnovers are what killed us. LAL corrects those and we win in spite of free throw misses.

Dozo, in terms of being realistic, Dwight is a 50% shooter, is he not? You know this, yes? As do we all. Dwight is ALWAYS going to miss A LOT of free throws, ala Shaq.
Kobe, is a great free throw shooter. He should never miss them, and if he does miss 1, then he damn sure better not miss another, and so on.
I'm confused why you guys are all upset about Dwight missing free throws. We've done this before, have we not? Ya'll forgot about Shaq or somethin? This is going to happen for the length of Dwight's career. We have to overcome it, and the first part of that is even if he is missing free throws, we get a chance to set our defense, rest, reset, etc. Even if he makes only 1, or both, or misses both, our defense should always be set, ready, and organized. Get stops, it don't matter how many he misses.
In this game, last night, when you have the lead, the win in hand, without 2 stars, I felt D'Antoni should have nutured the win out by sitting Dwight for a short stretch to keep them from hacking. 1 minute, that's all I was asking, so the Lakers could run a regular offense for an extra couple possessions. Mike should have done that, at least, but I understand why he didn't want to open that can of worms. I get it. If this was a playoff game, I bet he would have handled it differently.
Youre 100% correct, Kobe is clearly the better free throw shooter and we should expect better from him. My problem is D. Howard not admitting that the free throws are/were an issue in last nights game. Dont pass the buck and say, my missed free throws werent the reason we lost. He's not taking responsibility for that portion of the loss, thats what Im saying.
Honestly both of our leaders are doing a horrible job. Kobe's defense and chucking then Dwights free throws are the main reasons why we're losing and both of them should be saying just that. They're not meshing at all rt now.

Our bench did a respectable job last night. We were still up by 7 when the starters came in.

Houston has the Worst Win in 18 Years

Last night I checked in on the Houston game early. The Lakers had brought their Kryptonite to handle James Harden. Kobe Bryant wasn’t playing fantastic, but he was playing decent and the rest of the Lakers were shooting very well. I checked out knowing I’d have to hear certain analysts bring up Harden vs. Kobe later. I was shocked to find out that the Rockets in fact won! I was more shocked to see the numbers.

The Rockets shot 37.6% from the field. And no, they didn’t get an easy out with three point shooting, as they shot an abysmal 20.6% from behind the arc! And it’s hard to say stellar defense won the day, as they gave up 105 points in regulation! I went to Twitter and pondered if this had happened before. Of course, an astute fan with the aid of basketball-reference has the answer

@NerdNumbers Jeeze how often does a team shoot 37.6% from field, 20.6% from three, give up over 100 and still win in regulation?

To recap, here are our instances of teams that managed to win playing that poorly.

Date Team Opponent Score
2012-12-04 Houston Rockets Los Angeles Lakers 107 – 105
1994-03-22 New Jersey Nets Los Angeles Clippers 105 – 102
1991-02-22 Los Angeles Clippers San Antonio Spurs 107 – 101

We don’t have full game logs for the three point era sadly (Basketball-Reference goes back to the 1984-1985 season) but in almost the full history, we see this kind of ugly win is pretty rare. I decided to do a little digging to explain each win.

How the heck did Houston Win??

It sure as heck wasn’t defense. The simple answer is Houston was able to keep trying again despite shooting poorly and this came in two areas: turnovers and offensive rebounds. The Lakers turned the ball over 18 times to Houston’s 10. It should also be noticed many of these came off of sloppy play by the Lakers as the Rockets only got 7 steals. What’s more, while the rebound totals were close, the Rockets got 21 offensive rebounds to the Lakers 14. Add it up and the Rockets got an extra 15 possessions on just those two factors. And as we see, the Rockets got 101 shots to the Lakers 82. And that’s how you win despite missing the broad side of the barn repeatedly.
Link

*Expletive*

so, if you're kobe, what do you do? if the offense is running smoothly, great.. if it is not, what would you do? For one, you're the #1 option on offense.. your next option is howard.. who is not reliable in the 4th since he cant hit his free throws. Pau is completely lost in the offense, Jamison jacks up a bunch of threes.. and World Peace, you never know what you get from him, Nash is not playing. so the only logical thing is to take matters into your own hands.
and yeah, you're right about the Defense, it sucks balls

I see what you saying and I put myself in Kobes shoes plenty. But at this stage with this team, I hate to say this but he should take the Lebron approach. Pass and force teammates to make plays, I mean even on that fast break where he got fouled Jamison was open enough to get an easy layup.

I'm not saying Kobe take this approach out of fear like Lebron did/does but to teach, build confidence, and be efficient for his teammates. Get 8-10 assist a game, Kobe is good enough to do that but we will never see it because he rather score.

It's his preference and what he's been taught.

I see what you saying and I put myself in Kobes shoes plenty. But at this stage with this team, I hate to say this but he should take the Lebron approach. Pass and force teammates to make plays, I mean even on that fast break where he got fouled Jamison was open enough to get an easy layup.
I'm not saying Kobe take this approach out of fear like Lebron did/does but to teach, build confidence, and be efficient for his teammates. Get 8-10 assist a game, Kobe is good enough to do that but we will never see it because he rather score.
It's his preference and what he's been taught.

it's his preference because he trusts his own game before he trusts other players.. jordan did the same thing. i think he should pass to the open guy, but if they are struggling, i dont blame him for taking the shot.. besides if your team is not making shots, after a while you try to do everything you can yourself to make the game competitive. i think when nash comes back, it will make it a lot easier for kobe than what it is right now..

I'm just... I mean... *cue the Alonzo Mourning 'sigh of frustration' gif*

:\

We're terrible@defense?

Response #1: He's known as _'Antoni for a reason.

Response #2: I wonder if Phil... and possibly Pip as an assistant... would have yielded better results. Methinks...

Lebron take 18.8 shots a game. 6.7 assists since joining the Heat.
Kobe 21 shots a game 4.7 assists since that same period.

The extent to which some people overemphasis chucking is a wide amount.. Does he revert to it? Yes... But ask yourself when. It's not when we're up. It's when the game is out of control or behind.

People asking a shooting guard to get 8-10 assists. :lol: Only 6 players in the league are averaging 8 assists (all PGs)

So you want 2 assists more a game. And 2.2 less shots. Also I'll remind you, it's easier to get assists when you have complimentary wing players..

2.2 shots is not the difference between chucking and not... Keep that in perspective.

And 2 assists when you lack a bunch of threats on the wing is also much more difficult.

Last edited:
I'm just... I mean... *cue the Alonzo Mourning 'sigh of frustration' gif*
:\
We're terrible@defense?
Response #1: He's known as _'Antoni for a reason.
Response #2: I wonder if Phil... and possibly Pip as an assistant... would have yielded better results. Methinks...
1. Not terrible (9th in DEF RTG), just inconsistent.

2. Phil can't make the team any younger or more athletic.

But Phil is legit; no matter the situation, there are a small handful of coaches that could handle that situation better than Phil.

Mike D ain't in that handful. We can agree on that, right? That's what I was saying on #2.

The extent to which some people overemphasis chucking is a wide amount.. Does he revert to it? Yes... But ask yourself when. It's not when we're up. It's when the game is out of control or behind.

People asking a shooting guard to get 8-10 assists.
laugh.gif
Only 6 players in the league are averaging 8 assists (all PGs)

So you want 2 assists more a game. And 2.2 less shots. Also I'll remind you, it's easier to get assists when you have complimentary wing players..

2.2 shots is not the difference between chucking and not... Keep that in perspective.

And 2 assists when you lack a bunch of threats on the wing is also much more difficult.
He had 19 shots in the 1st HALF. Antawn had 11 for the WHOLE GAME. No other player had more than 9 SHOTS.

He has to pick his spots better. He's absolutely capable of racking up assists in the 1st 3 qt and taking over in the 4th.

We have shooters on the wings. Jamison and Metta were over 50%, Meeks had an off night but you cant act like they're horrible.

Last edited:

People asking a shooting guard to get 8-10 assists. :lol: Only 6 players in the league are averaging 8 assists (all PGs)

He had 19 shots in the 1st HALF. Antawn had 11 for the WHOLE GAME. No other player had more than 9 SHOTS.

He has to pick his spots better. He's absolutely capable of racking up assists in the 1st 3 qt and taking over in the 4th.

We have shooters on the wings. Jamison and Metta were over 50%, Meeks had an off night but you cant act like they're horrible.

Even with 19 shots. We were up 10+ most of the 1st half... We didn't lose the lead because of Kobe's offense either.

Metta is not good enough to rack you up assists. Jamison sure. Meeks plays in an ackward spot for drive and kick.

Expecting 8-10 assists per game from a 2 Guard is remotely unrealistic. Of every SG in history.. Would be unrealistic of every SF in history.

Should he stay at 19 shots a game, yes. His assists are at around 5 a game. Where do you think it would go up to 10. Even if he played COMPLETELY passive (which he'd then get flammed for) he'd be at maybe 7 a game. And that would be remarkable.

Even kicking it into the post 99% of the times he gets the ball would not be counted as an assist.

Soooo the areas you ask him to change.. There is very little to change.

No matter how underrated his court vision is. If he used it to it's full potential, it really wouldn't result in many more assists for him, or even buckets for anyone else.

Jamison at 11 shots is where he needs to be.. Meeks had 8. That's where he needs to be...

You're creating a no win territory for everyone.

Point to whatever you want. The games we lost that should have been won.... Dallas, SA, HOU, ORL, IND one of the least reasons was Kobe's offense.

Last edited:
But Phil is legit; no matter the situation, there are a small handful of coaches that could handle that situation better than Phil.

Mike D ain't in that handful. We can agree on that, right? That's what I was saying on #2.

Without question I trust Phil more than I trust any coach in the history of sports, but, D does need to get a few weeks with his team, you agree with this, yes?

As I've said in here a few times, this is his "preseason" in terms of learning roles/strengths of his players. That's why we're seeing him play guys in weird moments, at weird times. He's playing with all his new toys like you would in preseason. After x___ number of games, he sets the rotation he likes, and players start to play better as they learn tendancies and such. Dwight will learn when so and so can't keep up with this guy, he'll be a half step quicker to help, things like that.

Will we be the 08 Celtics defense? No, probably not. But we'll be better, and that's what we need.

And offensively, hell, that'll come just from running the system in practice, games, getting pieces back, etc. The next week or so should be good for us, we have a game every other day, so they "should" develop a bit more rythym, in theory of course. :lol:

Yea Kobe's defense is horrendous. These last years.
Still getting at least 2nd or 3rd defensive all team :lol:

Been riding with Kobe since '96 but the last 3 years I cannot stand how Kobe has played. Great one day doing his thing and propelling the team then the next day flat out selfish and not willing to do what it takes to win. Lack of defense is sicknening.
I agree. In the win against Denver, Kobe had 14 points 8 Assists and I knew he was going to try to get his in the following games since he wants to win his way. A prime example of his selfishness was the 2 on 1 fast break where he had Jamison open for the easy layup instead of passing he got fouled and missed a free throw. The Lakers are not getting defeated by individual stars they are getting picked apart by teams playing unselfishly. It's easier to collectively defend one individual than to defend five guys.

[quote name="kvsm23vs24"]Yea Kobe's defense is horrendous. These last years.[/quote]
[quote name="denni5themenace"]kobe's my dude but it pains me to see him hoist up 31 shots a game. nothing good can come out of it.[/quote]#justsaying
#beensaying
#stillsaying

no one was complaining about kobes 19 shots in the first half when we were up 17 in the game.

i do agree kobe may take extra shots when he could be passing them up, but lets not act like that was the reason they lost yesterday. and dwights FT's weren't the reason either, during that span they only give up 2 extra points.

I just don't understand Kobe sometimes man... U start the season off getting 20 and 10s and now it's hero ball again smh. U have DWIGHT HOWARD why do u feel the need to dominate the ball all 4 qtrs? If u Kobe and u look at the box scores for the last 10 games and u see that u taking 30 shots and Dwight only getting 8 or 9 at some point shouldn't it click that "Hey I need to let Dwight get some more shots up"? The games he not dominating the ball we win and win big. Dude says how happy he is to play for D'Antoni but then doesn't play within D'Antoni's system :smh:

People asking a shooting guard to get 8-10 assists.
laugh.gif
Only 6 players in the league are averaging 8 assists (all PGs)

Even with 19 shots. We were up 10+ most of the 1st half... We didn't lose the lead because of Kobe's offense either.

Metta is not good enough to rack you up assists. Jamison sure. Meeks plays in an ackward spot for drive and kick.

Expecting 8-10 assists per game from a 2 Guard is remotely unrealistic. Of every SG in history.. Would be unrealistic of every SF in history.

Should he stay at 19 shots a game, yes. His assists are at around 5 a game. Where do you think it would go up to 10. Even if he played COMPLETELY passive (which he'd then get flammed for) he'd be at maybe 7 a game. And that would be remarkable.

Even kicking it into the post 99% of the times he gets the ball would not be counted as an assist.

Soooo the areas you ask him to change.. There is very little to change.

No matter how underrated his court vision is. If he used it to it's full potential, it really wouldn't result in many more assists for him, or even buckets for anyone else.

Jamison at 11 shots is where he needs to be.. Meeks had 8. That's where he needs to be...

You're creating a no win territory for everyone.

Point to whatever you want. The games we lost that should have been won.... Dallas, SA, HOU, ORL, IND one of the least reasons was Kobe's offense.
Sorry man, I just cant agree with that. Not in a game where Pau isnt playing. Thats 12 extra shots to go round. Dwight has to get more early also.

Kobe is our best player, he has to take it upon himself to defend and get ppl involved. He's being a horrible leader right now. You can throw whatever stats you want but he's not getting it done.

Dont know how many ppl caught this, but at the end of the 1st half Kobe let someone get an off rebound, then watched them score, acted like it was someone else's fault, then took the ball up court without even thinking about passing and chucked up a shot. Dwight walked off looking disgusted...you cant build trust and chemistry playing that way. All he cares about is scoring.

With that said, I expect him to pass a lot more tonight. Not as much as that Denver game since he knows he's close to 30k, but he'll facilitate a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom