December Wrestling Thread | Rest In Peace Brodie Lee | Happy New Year | JOTM Bruce Mitchell

Speaking of Full Gear,

Meltzer has been pushing the, "The Tag Match was the best NA Tag Match I have seen" narrative. I have seen many back him up on IT as well.

I don't recall anyone here saying anything like that the other night.

Meltzer is funny.

In REAL LIFE small dudes beating up big dudes isn't the norm.

So when its presented like such in wrestling. It's not normal.

Just because it happened in videos you posted specifically to help your argument, great, it's still not the believable norm.

I agree with this opinion.

Weight classes definitely should be more strictly enforced in wrestling. Especially in the women's division where I feel the physical mismatches make even less sense.

If you start picking apart things that aren't believable in wrestling, you might as well stop watching it.

Why do opponents run the ropes? If someone launches you into the ropes why would you run towards them?

Why do wrestlers sell their opponents moves?

Why are dives a thing?

If wrestlers know that hooking the legs will make it harder for their opponent to kick out, why do they still "forget" to do it?

Why do wrestlers crawl to their partner and at the last second make the tag?

The only person picking apart wrestling in this thread is you.

The only thing I am picking apart, was your argument.

So with your thinking, you should stop watching wrestling and arguing.

Small dudes beating up big dudes, yuck. Unrealistic.

I'm with MT, he's a Champion like me, he knows what's up.

Small 130 lb dudes shouldn't even be able to do any damage to a guy 200 lbs plus.
I guess it depends on your preferred style of wrestling.

If you are big on realism, then you will probably prefer to see wrestlers matched up a little closer to those around the same size. (Much like other combat sports).

But I understand that, "It's just wrestling."

But some things are just harder to suspend the disbelief.
I’m all for weight divisions. But in general in the wrestling world small guys are looked down upon to the point that it’s almost discriminatory. Even when it is small guys vs small guys like 205 live the hate is still there.

I’m all for weight divisions. But in general in the wrestling world small guys are looked down upon to the point that it’s almost discriminatory. Even when it is small guys vs small guys like 205 live the hate is still there.

If you are good, you are good. I don't think that hate exists as much in 2020 but there will always be a preference for Larger than Life Comic Book Style heros in wrestling.

That is just the honest truth.

Rey Mysterio is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time.

Him being the WOrld HEavyweight CHamp of WWE is just goofy. Regardless of how the story was written for him to beat BRock, him being champ just LOOKS stupid.

He is WAY too small to be taken seriously as an elite heavyweight.

Him being the WOrld HEavyweight CHamp of WWE is just goofy. Regardless of how the story was written for him to beat BRock, him being champ just LOOKS stupid.

I never found Rey Mysterio, Eddie, or Beniot unbelievable as champions.

No one on this list is unbelievable to me

He's literally way too small to be taken for a heavyweight at all.
The booking Gods blessed Rey.

This is the issue.

The NEED to MAKE someone a HEavyweight as the only way for them to be taken serious is a pro wrestling thing.

Boxing/MMA don't have an issue with promoting/featuring/starring fighters in lower weight divisions but Pro Wrestling does.

This is a big problem.

Chris Benoit is believable to me due to his aggression; plus he was roided up at the time. (WHich is ANOTHER inherent issue)

I guess it depends on your preferred style of wrestling.

If you are big on realism, then you will probably prefer to see wrestlers matched up a little closer to those around the same size. (Much like other combat sports).

But I understand that, "It's just wrestling."

But some things are just harder to suspend the disbelief.

Like Lana vs Shayna :rofl:

Jeff hardy @ 225lbs? Really

Eddie beat Brock, not Rey

Rey beat Angle and Orton at Wrestlemania 22 for the title

Eddie beat Brock, not Rey

Rey beat Angle and Orton at Wrestlemania 22 for the title

Got you.

Thanks for the correction.

I thought Rey also beat Brock for the title.

I was wrong there.

I still don't feel he is believable as a World HEavyweight Champion.

Skimming through some AEW Dark episodes, they remind me of a combo of late run WCW Thunder + Saturday night. You’ll see a lot of unfamiliar people and lower card folks, with all types of gimmicks facing some of the higher card wrestlers. It’s an interesting watch.

Like Lana vs Shayna :rofl:

Lana shouldn't be wrestling.

WHOLE different conversation.

AEA18 AEA18 Looking at the list, a few of those people might have been SHORT but they HAD the width to be viewed as a competitive athlete.

I would say HBK, Hardy, CM, Rey are not believable World Champs. They didn't possess the style, aggression, nor builds to be taken seriously. (My opinion)

Who do y’all consider the best “small guy” in wrestling today?
Well, wrestling "today" IS a bunch of small dudes.

So it wouldn't look MUCH different from the actual list.

Just thinking of some of the best

Seth Rollins
Daniel Bryan
Kota Ibushi
Cody
Omega (If that is your speed)
AJ (Even though he has aged)

Hell, Tanahashi is "small" he is 5'11/223.

Well, wrestling "today" IS a bunch of small dudes.

So it wouldn't look MUCH different from the actual list.

Just thinking of some of the best

Seth Rollins
Daniel Bryan
Kota Ibushi
Cody
Omega (If that is your speed)
AJ (Even though he has aged)

Hell, Tanahashi is "small" he is 5'11/223.
I enjoy moments from AJ Styles & Samuel Zayn but both are
at the tail end of their careers.
See I don’t consider those guys “small guys” they aren’t huge either. They are middle eights to me and totally believable as champs and when they face bigger opponents it doesn’t come off as unbelievable.
DC is right wrestling has shifted towards that type of wrestler and that physique is the norm nowadays.
By small guys I mean wrestlers that actually look small on the screen. Not going by actual stats.
Guys like Brian Danielson, John Silver, Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, Rey Mysterious those guys all look small naturally.

Back
Top Bottom