December Wrestling Thread | Rest In Peace Brodie Lee | Happy New Year | JOTM Bruce Mitchell

neckbreaker.gif

Peep Game Peep Game
noblekane noblekane
ihust1e ihust1e
Canadian Destroyer Canadian Destroyer
@ITO
degenerate423 degenerate423
Case Case
King of Trash Style King of Trash Style
JCMojica24 JCMojica24
tramericanjr tramericanjr
rwfanatic rwfanatic

Starrcade 1995

World Cup Of Wrestling Match #1
Jushin Thunder Liger (w/Sonny Onoo) vs. Chris Benoit

Two legends going at it on American soil. Great choice for an opening match as the fans were already familiar with Liger from his bouts with Brian Pillman. Benoit brought the intensity as he usually does. That powerbomb in the finishing sequence was viCIOUS. Also, the fans went WILD for that Benoit Superplex. I wish there was a clean finish with this match but I get it. Solid match.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title World Cup Of Wrestling #2 Match
Koji Kanemoto (w/Sonny Onoo) (c) vs. Alex Wright

WCW Screwed up by showing Ohtani, instead of Kanemoto, on the wipe. Typical #MinorLeague presentation error. The fans didn’t show much interest in this but these two worked hard. Ok match here. Alex Wright continues to show he can go toe to toe with anyone, regardless of their style.

World Cup Of Wrestling Match #3
Lex Luger (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Masahiro Chono (w/Sonny Onoo)

Luger comes out to a nice response, as he usually does. This match could have been so much more than what it was. Chono was still in his prime here but this match wasn’t given a chance to breathe. SOme funny commentating spots here with the convo about Moves named after Countries.

World Cup Of Wrestling Match #4
Johnny B. Badd (w/Kimberly) vs. Masa Saito (w/Sonny Onoo)

The commentating team really loved Mr. Saito and we know that is from his time in the AWA. They made him look weak in this match but they couldn’t allow NJPW to get that 3rd win so early in the series.

Note: The PreMatch segment with Sonny Onno/Kimberly Page didn’t age well at all.

World Cup Of Wrestling Match #5
Eddie Guerrero vs. Shinjiro Otani (w/Sonny Onoo)

Easily the best match on the card and probably the best match we have seen thus far during this Project. I wish the fans were into the match but they were probably tired since this was a long show and they knew there was SO much more left. Ohtani was so good and I wish WCW would have used him more in the US. Missed opportunity. Eddie Guerrero is really turning the corner here. Again, very good match.

World Cup Of Wrestling Match #6
Randy Savage vs. Tenzan (w/Sonny Onoo)

I won’t say this seemed to be a rush job, but this match was very quick. They built Tenzan up for being the next big star from NJPW, even making note of him pinning Muta, and then he gets pinned in right under 7 minutes.

World Cup Of Wrestling Match #7
Sting vs. Kensuke Sasaki (w/Sonny Onoo)

Sting got his revenge from Sasaki. I am wondering if they thought of making this a title match at any point but I guess it didn’t matter either way. Match was kinda short in my opinion.

Post Match: Benoit didn’t want ANY parts of the celebration, he stood far off to the left.

WCW World Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership Triangle Match
Sting vs. Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair

Nice storytelling here. Luger just wanted to sit it out and let the other two wear each other down. Flair was really getting worked during this match. Typical interactions with he and Sting. Excellent Dirty Finish by flair. I wasn’t even mad at the countout victory because it allowed them to tell the story of Luger preventing Sting from getting back in the ring @ the 9-count. Nice finish here.

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match
Randy Savage (c) vs. Ric Flair (w/Jimmy Hart)

I need an explanation from Jimmy Hart as to why he just ditched Luger like that. I am sure the fans were fatigued at this point but the finishing sequence had a LOT going on. I was honestly expecting Macho to kick out but I think due to time constraints, it was best he just ate the pin at that moment.

Pillman is a wild boy. I definitely wouldn’t want to TOUCH that man with all that blood running down his face. It is always funny that he is never able to just bleed a little bit, it has to be gushing out of his forehead. I assume he uses the same cut over and over again because the amount of blood that he produced made no sense at all.

Long show, felt like two separate shows with the World Cup and the Flair/Luger/Savage/Sting situation. I definitely had to watch this over the span of a few days. OK show.

Back
Top Bottom