College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

[h3]Villanova lands James Bell
A major Class 2010 commitment, ESPN Top 100 guard/forward James Bell of Montverde Academy, Fla., has picked Villanova over Clemson and Miami-Florida. He also drew attention from Penn State, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Evaluation[/h3]
July, 2008: Bell is tough, physical, strong and very athletic and is making the transition from power forward to small forward. A powerful leaper, he runs for layups and dunks in transition and can get to the rim and finish through contact. He is an excellent driver going right. He dribbles through defensive bumps and does a good job of drawing fouls, displaying a good touch at the free throw line when he got there. He can shoot the 3 off the catch with time. In the post he is very quick. On the left low box he likes to use the baseline spin when he feels the defender is too close when he catches the ball. He will turn and face up off the lane on both sides of the floor and will raise up for the 15-foot jumper if the defender's hands are down. Bell does a great job at reading guard penetration by getting into the vision of the passer and getting his hands ready for the pass. He dunks all clear paths to the rim with authority. Bell is a decent passer out of the post with the ability to find the open man on the immediate kickout or across the court on the weakside. He is a good rebounder on both ends but attacks the offensive glass for tip-ins or dunks as he goes through and around box outs. On defense he is strong and athletic enough to defend both forward positions -- upper-body strength allows him to use his chest and not his hands to stay in front of the ball. He can also push the offensive player out of the lane with his lower-body strength and is quick enough to deny the ball from entering the low post. He needs to continue to develop ball skills, a mid-range game and shooting range. He is a very aggressive and active player, especially around the rim.

February, 2008: Bell has a great body and he is very strong attacking the basket. He can finish in traffic and loves to draw contact. Bell needs to improve his left hand and his ability to make plays for others. His shooting is average at this point and he needs to become more consistent in this area as well. Bell is strong and he is a very aggressive player. Bell needs to make sure that he works on developing his skill level and doesn't use his strength as his only weapon. He is a good rebounding guard and loves physical play.

[h3]Has anybody seen this kid play???[/h3]

That story with the FedEx CEO and Gaddy's madre is
eek.gif

And JND I would still want to get a commitment from Ryan Kelly and just have Travis Wear redshirt. Either way we have a ton of bigs coming in the next coupleyears.

[table][tr][td]Kelly Talks WFU, Recruiting
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
564466.jpg

Ryan Kelly
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By Tate Myers

DeaconSports.com
Posted Jul 30, 2008
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Ryan Kelly has been a very busy man this summer. From playing in Argentina with the USA Junior National team to last week's tourney in Vegas, Ryan Kelly has played more than his share of basketball and he isn't complaining about it. DeaconSports recently spoke with Kelly about his busy summer and where he is in the recruiting process.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Ryan Kelly has spent his summer playing basketball all over the globe and proving why he is one of the the best players in the class of 2009. The ultra talented forward from Raleigh, N.C. has showcased his array of skills and helped his teams win all summer. After last week's tournament in Vegas, in which he helped lead his D-One Sports team to the finals, Kelly finally has some time to relax and spend a bit of time at home.
"I have never had a summer this busy," said Kelly. "It has been a great experience. It does wear you down a bit but I have enjoyed it. Playing basketball is something I love to do. I think I am going to take a week off and relax a bit before I get back in the weight room and gym."

As far as the recruiting process goes, Kelly will be able to focus more on it now that his summer AAU season is over. "The process is still going well. I am still enjoying the process and it hasn't got old yet. I am just taking my time and looking for the place that fits me best both on and off the court." Kelly also mentioned that he would be trying to cut his list down soon. "I am going to sit down with my parents and my coach from Ravenscroft during the next couple of weeks so I can narrow down my list a bit," he noted.

With offers from everywhere, what does Kelly think about Wake Forest? "I really like Wake. My visit there earlier this summer went very well. I was also at their game with Duke last season which was a great game and great experience. I am building a good relationship with the coaches at Wake. Also, Wake is high on academics which is important to me."

Kelly also mentioned another relationship that will be important to him when decision time comes. "Wherever I end up, I want to have a good relationship with the current players there. I think a lot of people don't think about that but it is very important. I am going to spend four years with those guys so I want to make sure I have a good connection with them." The current players at Wake made a very good impression on Kelly when he visited. "The guys at Wake are not only good player but they are really good people as well. I got along great with them."

Recently, Wake received a commitment from one of Kelly's D-One teammates in 2010 shooting guard J.T. Terrell. b"I am really happy for J.T.," said Kelly. "I have enjoyed playing along side J.T. for the past three years. When I heard the news I congratulated him on his decision and I think he will be a real good player at Wake." Terrell's commitment may also have a slight affect on Kelly's thinking as well. "It is something I will definitely look at when the time comes," "Kelly said.

Kelly also made it clear he has no timeframe for a decision and he will make his choice when the time is right. He also made it clear that he has no leader at this time and he hasn't grown up a fan of any school.

Kelly continues to work hard both on and off the court and he just keeps getting better and better. His versatility and basketball skills in addition to his commitment to high academics will make Kelly a huge addition to any college.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Idk...just to me...it's Indiana.

But desperate times...

This is Indiana that doesn't have enough players on scholarship to field a starting five...
sick.gif

I don't see anything wrong with the pants. Think it's kinda cool, really. While kids sitting on benches during games are squinting trying to makeout logos on jog suits, they'll know damn well Indiana is in the building. When you got a prestigious program beat that far into the ground, you gotta dowhatever you can to make yourself relevant again.

I forgot to say with the old spice classic...

Kenny Hasbrouck > Jeremy Pargo.

nerd.gif

And while Dajuan Summers isn't hooping in Kenner League....he's training on his own with help of others for the goal of the NBA......and from peoplewho've watched.....the word described if he carries over his performance onto the court this season was "Shocking".

I forgot to say with the old spice classic...

Kenny Hasbrouck > Jeremy Pargo.

nerd.gif

And while Dajuan Summers isn't hooping in Kenner League....he's training on his own with help of others for the goal of the NBA......and from people who've watched.....the word described if he carries over his performance onto the court this season was "Shocking".

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

eek.gif
Coach Cal calling the head boss of dude's mom

Cant really stand all of these no-contact with the players rules though,

Thanks for the updates

Some think Fed Ex funds the whole program, players, families, etc.....remember the 'house' mansionthat they always watch the Selection Show in with the big screens?
nerd.gif

Via ESPN

Boynton, rumored to be heading to Florida, missed the first five games of the tournament but returned for the last four games leading up to the final. Boyntonwas also a key member of last year's AAU 17-U national champions.

...that'd be a blow to Duke, for sure.

I think it's time for Duke to expand their recruiting and to get on kids earlier. I think K and staff ARE going back to getting athletes who aren'tafraid to mix it up..but still more work needs to be done...

It was fine in the 90's and early this decade...cause it was Duke....they could pick who they wanted.

Now targeting/offering such a small group of players can really backfire.

And While I definitely don't agree with some of the scum coaches recruiting 8th graders...and I admire how K goes about holding off on really pursuingrecruits...at some point you at least gota get things going somewhat earlier. Not robbing the cradle...but let them know you're around.

Syracuse is actually leaving the state and playing @ Memphis?
eek.gif

got my front seat in the student section ready
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

The Memphis players though get "test" cars (usually keep them for the whole year
grin.gif
)

Some think Fed Ex funds the whole program, players, families, etc.....remember the 'house' mansion that they always watch the Selection Show in with the big screens?
nerd.gif

Via ESPN

Boynton, rumored to be heading to Florida, missed the first five games of the tournament but returned for the last four games leading up to the final. Boynton was also a key member of last year's AAU 17-U national champions.

...that'd be a blow to Duke, for sure.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

%+!$#@% Florida.

alien.gif
alien.gif

Just kick Scoop out already...

[h1]SU players testify before grand jury[/h1][h3]by Jim O'Hara and Nancy Cole[/h3]
[h3]Saturday August 02, 2008, 6:00 AM[/h3]

Three members of the Syracuse University men's basketball team testified Friday before a county grand jury investigating allegations theysexually assaulted a female student last fall.

Jonny Flynn, Antonio "Scoop" Jardine and Rick Jackson waived immunity and cooperated with thegrand jury, their lawyers said as the players left the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office around midday Friday.

The lawyers said they expected the players would be cleared.

On Wednesday afternoon, the woman who has made the accusations appeared before the same grand jury.
http://
The allegations were related to two events involving the woman and the players in September and October. A proposed agreement between the university, theplayers and the woman fell apart in January, setting the stage for this week's grand jury investigation.

The woman, an SU freshman last year, withdrew from school for the spring semester.

District Attorney William J. Fitzpatrick said Friday he expected the grand jury would complete its investigation soon. He said the matter was presented to agrand jury now because the woman recently agreed to testify.

Patrick Britt, the woman's attorney, said her emotional and physical condition and scheduling conflicts contributed to the delay.

"You have to look at the nature of the offense. There's a lot of internal struggles by anyone who goes through that," Britt said. "In noway did my client intentionally delay, or obstruct, this investigation in any way whatsoever."

The woman's mother wrote to First Chief Assistant District Attorney Rick Trunfio in January, saying that her daughter was unable to help anyinvestigation because of her emotional state, but added, "she is currently weighing all her options regarding the situation."

Her mother has declined comment to The Post-Standard several times in recent weeks.

After testifying to the grand jury Wednesday, the woman broke into tears in the hallway outside. Assistant District Attorney Cindi Newtown told her she haddone a good job. Newtown told Britt the appearance took longer than anticipated because the grand jurors had a lot of questions.

The lawyers for the players Friday declined to comment about what occurred during the players' grand jury appearances.

Flynn was the first to leave the prosecutor's office just before noon Friday, accompanied by his father and by his lawyer, Stefano Cambareri.

"I want to make it clear, Jonny Flynn denies that anything even remotely improper happened and that the allegations are completely false andbaseless," Cambareri said. "I think that the investigation will ultimately show that to be the case."

Moments later, Jardine and his father emerged with lawyer Emil Rossi.

"These young men are completely innocent of any wrongdoing," Rossi added. "Not 'not guilty.' I say 'innocent.' They are morethan anxious to have their side told."

About 15 minutes later, Jackson and lawyer Michael Vavonese came out. "He looks forward to being completely vindicated," Vavonese said.

Britt said he expected those responses from the players' attorneys, but they don't change his client's story.

"My client stands by her testimony 100 percent," Britt said.

A university spokesman would not comment on the case.

The incident was reported to SU's Department of Public Safety in November, according to a timeline compiled from information obtained from theuniversity. (The university rejected a Freedom of Information Law request from The Post-Standard in January for public safety reports on the incident.)

After the woman made the report, staff from the university's judicial affairs office met with her to see if she wanted to pursue an informal resolutionor go forward with the formal hearing process, according to the timeline. Most of SU's judicial affairs cases are resolved informally, SU said.

The alleged victim's mother contacted SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor in November, and the two met, according to the timeline. The university's executivecommittee of the board of trustees was briefed on the situation in December, the newspaper learned.

The woman was not seeking criminal prosecution and thought justice would be served by going through the formal university judicial system, according to hermother's January letter to Trunfio.

According to the timeline, the university put that hearing process on hold in the fall when the District Attorney's Office notified SU it would moveforward with grand jury proceedings.

But no grand jury heard the allegations last fall, Fitzpatrick said Friday, because his office was told soon afterward that a resolution had been reached bythe parties.

He said he initially threatened a grand jury review because he learned the university left it up to the woman to choose whether her allegation would behandled as criminal prosecution or a campus disciplinary matter. That's an unfair burden to place on a possible victim, he said.

"That's just not acceptable public policy," he said.

A university spokesman, Kevin Morrow, said that, in general, when a felony involving a student is alleged, SU defers to Syracuse police and the DA'soffice. "The university takes this responsibility seriously and would never consider making an exception to this policy," he said.

Before the end of the year, however, Fitzpatrick said, he met with lawyers for the university, the woman and the players. He was told a resolution had beenreached that included some punishment of the players and precluded the need for any criminal investigation, the DA said. Fitzpatrick said he signed off becausehe was told the woman was no longer claiming to be the victim of a forcible sexual assault.

Britt said his client maintains that she was the victim of a forcible sexual assault and said that she has not recanted her allegations.

On Jan. 14, in a letter obtained by The Post-Standard, the woman's mother told SU Senior Vice President and General Counsel Thomas S. Evans that herdaughter had not agreed to any resolution.

Her daughter had left the university because "under the circumstances, she felt she had no other choice than to leave," she wrote. Her daughterwas not able to participate "at that time" in any disciplinary action because of her "emotional state and the extreme amount of stress that wasbeing put on her," the letter said.

"We are currently weighing all our options regarding this situation including pressing the charges as originally presented," the mother wrote.

Even though the woman did not agree to the proposed resolution, SU imposed the agreed-upon punishment on the male students, which included a fourth man, andthe players signed the informal resolution, according to information obtained from the university.

Part of that resolution required the male students to reimburse the woman for the cost of a camera and cash that she said she lost during the allegedincidents, according to a Jan. 14 letter from Evans to the woman's former attorney.

Attorney Daniel French collected the money from the four men and issued the female student a check for $250, according to Evans' letter.

With no deal in place, the woman's mother returned the check to Evans in a letter dated Jan. 29.

French has declined comment.

Fitzpatrick Friday said he could not comment on whether there was a fourth male student involved in the grand jury's investigation either as a potentialtarget or as a witness.

The basketball players face an additional university disciplinary proceeding this month, according to the information obtained from the university.

Actually...UPDATE
[h1]No grand jury charges to be filed against three Syracuse University basketball players[/h1][h3]by Jim O'Hara[/h3]
[h3]Saturday August 02, 2008, 1:14 PM[/h3]

large_080802_flynnjardine.jpg
Dennis Nett / The Post-Standard, 2008

Syracuse, N.Y. - An Onondaga County grand jury has opted not to consider any criminal charges against three members of the Syracuse University men'sbasketball team accused of sexual assault by a female student.

District Attorney William J. Fitzpatrick today notified lawyers for Jonny Flynn, Antonio "Scoop" Jardine and Rick Jackson that the grand jurors"refused" to consider sexual assault charges against the players.

The three players waived immunity and testified before the grand jury Friday to deny allegations leveled against them by a freshman student who has sinceleft SU. That woman testified before the grand jury Wednesday.

Seems like SU handled this pretty poorly.

Part of that resolution required the male students to reimburse the woman for the cost of a camera and cash that she said she lost during the alleged incidents, according to a Jan. 14 letter from Evans to the woman's former attorney.

Attorney Daniel French collected the money from the four men and issued the female student a check for $250, according to Evans' letter.

Scoop is just a thief...

Watch, now that Boeheim has depth....Scoop will be gone or suspended big time.

hmm and I wonder where they each got 250 to pay + attorney fees
grin.gif

A Cuse fan who tried to break this news way back in the winter on a board....turns out he was correct, he's reminding people of it now....only thingis....he says they raped the girl and stole the camera in the process.

God, I hate everything about that program.

our schedule's out...a few games of note:

Nov. 18 (Tue) at North Carolina 9:00 p.m. ESPN

Nov. 28 (Fri) vs. Kansas State 11:59 p.m. ESPN U

Nov. 29 (Sat) vs. West Virginia/Iowa TBA 7:30/10:30 p.m. ESPN U

Dec. 6 (Sat) MIAMI (FL) 5:30 p.m. ESPN

Jan. 4 (Sun) at Louisville 1:30/4:30 p.m. CBS

yeah, i believe it's the first game of the year on ESPN. at least i remember reading that they wanted to try and make it the "season opener."

Just going to be a Patterson and Hansbrough slurpfest
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Tristan Spurlock had never won a title of any kindentering the summer, but all that has changed in what has turned out to be a productive traveling team season.

Spurlock is hoping to win a third title this week with Boo Williams at the AAU Nationals in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., at Disney World. Boo Williams previouslywon the Boo Williams Invitational and the Nike Peach Jam, but adding another title never gets tiring.

"This is the last go-around for me and then it's over," Spurlock said. "I guess it means that I'm getting old. I always look forward towinning, but every game could be our last."

[table][tr][td]
TRISTANSPURLOCK4_14200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Senior wing Tristan Spurlock is considering Georgetown, Virginia, NC State, Wake Forest, Clemson and Louisville.[/td] [/tr][/table]Spurlock was worried that going through the recruiting process might become a hassle, but the 6-foot-8, 225-pound wing isn't inas big a hurry to end things as he thought he would be. He also dismisses talk that he's only down to two schools, Georgetown and Virginia, though the two could be his favorites.

Firmly on his list also includes NC State, Wake Forest, Clemson and Louisville, with all six schools having offered scholarships. Of course, Spurlock also joked that Duke is always welcomed tojump in and get involved.

NC State coach Sidney Lowe and assistant coach Pete Strickland have both made strong impressions on Spurlock in recentmonths.

"The Wolfpack, you have to love them," Spurlock said. "Coach Lowe and Coach Strickland, I've known for quite some time. I always like itwhen they came to see me at open gyms. I like their system a lot.

"Coach Strickland and Coach Lowe are from my area. They are very laid back off the court, but very fiery on the court."

With NC State picking up recent commitments from Lorenzo Brown and Richard Howell, plus a prior pickup of Scott Wood, the Wolfpack are potentially putting together a strong class. Spurlockhas chased around Wood through screens, and is impressed with Brown. He believes he could make an immediate impact at NC State on the wing.

"It's similar to Virginia in there could be immediate playing time, but none of the schools in my top five are promising me playing time,"Spurlock said. "I want to fight for playing time wherever I go. I don't want a school to come in and say I'll be a starter right away, I'dcross them off my list. I won't be a spoiled freshman who whines and cries about things."

Georgetown might be the program he's most familiar with and he likes the potential that the Hoyas could make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament when hearrives.

"I like that Georgetown is close to home, and my parents can come to the games because it is right over the bridge," Spurlock said. "I'veknown them a long time, since they've been on my list the second longest."

The Montrose Christian High standout had some concerns about how he'd fit in with the Hoyas offense, but he's starting to get a vision of how he'dbe utilized.

"I think I'll fit in because I'm versatile and I could definitely do well in that offense," Spurlock said. "I've talked to [assistant] Coach [Robert] Burke about the offense plenty of times. He has explained to me that the offense is soslow because the other teams slow up, not them. They played Duke and North Carolina in the past, and went well over 100 points against both ofthem."

Spurlock sees a bright future with the Georgetown program because of their young talent, which he sometimes works out against.

"I know those guys for quite a long time," Spurlock said. "I play pickup with Chris Wright, Austin Freeman and DaJuan Summers all the time.DaJuan is my guy, I like him."

Immediate playing time and proximity to home is the appeal of Virginia, who also landed his traveling teammate point guard Jontel Evans.

"At Virginia, I'd play a lot more as a freshman," Spurlock said. "I could contribute right away. I've been up there a couple of timesbecause they were the first real school to recruit me."

Spurlock was able to play with some of the UVa players the last time he visited Charlottesville.

"I got to play with Sylven Landesberg the last time I went up there, and he's a lot better than I thought," Spurlock said. "He's aMcDonald's All-American, so I knew he was good, but he's a lot better than I thought he was."

Spurlock is curious to see who else Virginia brings in besides Evans in trying to turn around the program.

"I want to be at a competitive school because I love to win and hate to lose," Spurlock said. "When I'm not competitive, that might botherme a little bit. If we play as a team, we should be fine."

Wake Forest is another school that is looking for a wing and Spurlock grew up an ACC fan, and would be intrigued by some of the Tobacco Road rivalries.

"I like Coach [Dino] Gaudio a lot and he was recruiting me when Coach [Skip] Prosser was alive," Spurlock said. "I like their offense and I liketheir bigs. I definitely wouldn't have to go down low any time soon. They might not all be there when I get there [some could go pro], but hopefully, I canplay with one of them or maybe two."

Clemson and Louisville are the last additions to Spurlock's list. At first he wasn't sure if he wanted to pursue checking out other schools. However,as the summer has gone on, he has kept putting off making a decision, and now the Tigers and Cardinals have a chance to make an impression on him.

"Clemson has a very good system, and with me being 6-8, I can get the ball off the rim and really push it up the court or pass it out," Spurlocksaid. "I'd be able to do a lot of the things I want to do.

"Louisville is coming on strong since mid-July, and I got to talk to coach Rick Pitino.

Glad that was pointed out, and that we won both....a sign of things to come.

And Inmymind, still a lock?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom