CNN Hero of the Year: Efren Peñaflorida Vol. This Guy>Manny Pacquiao

is this dude going for the new age boygeorge look???

he most definitely must be the catcher in all of his relationships.

Who is Efren Peñaflorida?

He is the founder of Dynamic Teen Company (DTC), an organization training young children to become responsible, systematic and principled.

He is one of the nominees of Global Youth Awards 2008 in the Humanos category. He is also cited as one of the 2009 CNN Heroes.

F! was born to Efren Peñaflorida Sr. and Lucila Geronimo. A middle child of a tricycle driver and a housewife, F! grew up near the city's open dumpsterwhere he plays, and swims in the garbage beach when he was very young.

He was featured in a World Vision, USA documentary about kids living in the worst conditions. Despite of these conditions, F! showed responsibility when theirfamily started a noodle micro business to help make both ends meet. An intelligent student in elementary, he was given scholarship assistance by World VisionPhils.

A very studious and industrious F! was given several class honors and awards in elementary and high school. He was awarded highest honor for Associate inComputer Technology of San Sebastian College- Recoletos Batch 2000.

For several years, he's a regular viajero of fish crackers from Baclaran to Cavite and sells these in school to be able to help his family. It has been hiscommitment to improve the standard of public secondary education.

He has been conducting free tutorial classes to more than 50 high school and college students for more than four years already. He is currently enrolled atCavite State University, pursuing Secondary Education as a second course to be able for him to make more difference in the lives of other youth in the nearfuture.

AWARDS RECEIVED

* Regional Winner, Outstanding Volunteer Awards
NEDA - 2008, Calamba, Laguna
* Outstanding Caviteño in Republic Service
2008, Independence Day Celebration, Cavite
* Finalist for Global Youth Awards
2008, Southhampton, UK
* Official Nominee for Right Livelihood Award Foundation
2005, Stockholm, Sweden
* Gawad Geny Lopez Jr. Bayaning Pilipino Regional Winner
2004, ABS-CBN Studio 1, Quezon City
* Golden Anahaw Awardee as Outstanding Community Servant
2004, CAVITE STATE UNIVERSITY (CAVITE CITY CAMPUS), CvSU Campus, Cavite City
* Role Model Awardee
2004, City Gov't Award for CAVITE CITY WEEK, City Hall, Cavite City
* Most Outstanding VBS Staff
1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 , Club 8586 Center, Cavite City
* Excellent Member Awardee
1997, LDES Multi-Purpose Hall, Club 8586 INC. Cavite City
* Model Sunday School Student Award
1995, 1996, 1997, Club 8586 Center, Cavite City

TJ Manotoc of ABS-CBN news discussed Efren's work and heroic actions. Here is a short snippet from his article.

"An organization of young Filipinos is actively making a difference in the lives of children in depressed areas.

The Dynamic Teen Company (DTC) aims to uplift the lives of underprivileged children younger than themselves through education. Armed with only a pushcart fullof books and other educational materials, DTC brings the classroom to children and educate in slum areas, dumpsites and even in the cemetery.

Formed in 1997 in Cavite by Efren Peñaflorida, its mission then was to keep the youth away from trouble and vices.

"Nakita namin yung pinaka-ugat ng problema na nanggagaling sa mga slum areas kung saan ginu-groom yung mga future gang members, gang leaders, so kayanag-start kami noong 1999 na mag reach out sa mga bata sa slum area, para dun pa lang ma-guide na namin sila na di sila sumama sa mga ibang klasengactivities," said Peñaflorida.

Born to tricycle driver Efren Sr. and housewife Lucila, Penaflorida grew up near the city's dumpsite where he spent most of his younger years playing andswimming in the garbage beach.

Hardworking and intelligent, Penaflorida's commitment is to improve the standard of public secondary education. For more than four years, he has beengiving free tutorial classes to high school and college students.

Penaflorida exudes the qualities of an everyday hero. His life would seem ordinary, but the tasks he undertakes are extraordinary earning the respect of hispeers and even parents whom he helped in the past.

There was a time when he skipped a class to convince a peer to abandon his attempt to kill himself. He also stood up against an abusive teacher and brought thecomplaint to the City Schools Division Superintendent to protect his classmates.

Penaflorida had his share of bad experiences while growing up near the slums. He had fallen prey to bullies and solvent kids in the area.

By the age of 16, he knew he had to do something to change all these. Together with some classmates, they started DTC.

Today, Penaflorida wants to address the growing issue of juvenile delinquents. He also wants to address moral, and the values of education of today'syouth.

Michael Advincula is a living example of the group's positive work. The organization was able to help Advincula turn his life around for the better.Advincula used to be a thief and an Akyat Bahay gang member. Now, he is a full time volunteer and scholar of DTC.

Originally Posted by 03silverbullet

is this dude going for the new age boy george look???

he most definitely must be the catcher in all of his relationships.
indifferent.gif

Probably the most immature thing I've ever read on this board since I've joined. That's pretty bad considering I joined in 2005 and have beenlurking since 2004, not to mention it IS NT.

First of all, it looks like he's wearing a variation of the barong, a formal garment of the Philippines. Secondly, this man has done great things for hispeople, why is his sexual orientation even a question? SMH

Congrats and good luck to him. Everyone of those people nominated deserves those trophies and more for their work.

Originally Posted by AirJus23

indifferent.gif

Probably the most immature thing I've ever read on this board since I've joined. That's pretty bad considering I joined in 2005 and have been lurking since 2004, not to mention it IS NT.

First of all, it looks like he's wearing a variation of the barong, a formal garment of the Philippines. Secondly, this man has done great things for his people, why is his sexual orientation even a question? SMH

ok, maybe my first post was a bad attempt at a bump on my part. i came in the thread to see what it was about and scrolled across this advertisement at thetop. after seeing this adam cat's mug plastered all over the net for the past week, i was taken aback when i saw him here also.

...and if this is the most immature thing you've read on NT and you claim to have lurked since when ever, then you really don't hang around thegeneral forum much or i must have really hit a nerve with the "catcher" comment. if the latter occurred, then i whole heartedly apologize for myactions.

let's not e-bicker, this thread isn't about us.

i had no idea CNN had an awards show and after reading up on some of the things dude has done, i'm convinced he's done way more the young people thenany politician i've ever voted for.

laugh.gif
at mariah being played when he was announced the winner

we need more people like this in the world

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

Ive never meet a filipino before..........

but props
pimp.gif
are you serious? where do you live?
laugh.gif

I don't think I have ever met a Filipino I did not like
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom