Charlie Davies might play in the World Cup afterall!

Less than four months after the crash that threatened to end hispromising career, Davies is already jogging at a good rate and workingon agility drills that would have seemed impossible just weeks earlier,when simply getting out of a wheelchair was an exhausting exercise.
What does this progress mean, exactly? It means that, barring anysetbacks, Davies could be back on the field with club team FC Sochauxby April, meaning his chances of playing for the United States inJune's World Cup should no longer be seen as a shattered dream.
Originally Posted by Charlie Davies

"That's what's been driving me this whole time," Davies said. "I'vebeen looking at Web sites the whole time and they're always saying, 'Weneed to find a replacement for Charlie. We need to find someone becausehe's not going to be back.'

"These people don't know," Davies said. "They don't know me,and if they just knew me alone, let alone the determination and will Ihave now, you guys don't know.

"When I tell people I'm doing agility on the ladder and I'mrunning on the treadmill, people are like, 'No way.' They tell me, 'Ifyou're back, this is the greatest comeback in the history of sports.'

"It feels good when I hear all this talk because I'm going tobe able to play two months in France. I plan on making a difference atthe World Cup."
Must read article for US fans:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...avies-remarkable-path-recovery?cc=5901&ver=us

eek.gif

I thought it was a career ending accident.  It's good that he's out there training again.

Thank God. Not only will he fully recover from the accident but he'll give the team a spiritual boost.

Have at thee, England!

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Wow! After that crash I didn't think he'd be able to walk again let alone play soccer.

Same. Great news though. GREAT news 
pimp.gif
Hope he continues to play as well as he had been before the crash.

Man, I sure hope so. The U.S. team is beat up right now with Davies out, Dempsey just got hurt, and Onyewu is still recovering.

is there any way in hell he makes a full recovery? a big part of his game was speed and imo its nuts to think that his speed will be the same when he gets back, although i'm rooting for it to happen. dudes not really an incredible player by any means, but hes still the type that can change a game at any moment.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Originally Posted by King Beef

Quote me on this........USMNT will be in the FINAL. YES THE FINAL!
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Trust me. They have quality on their squad this year. Anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you they have a legitimate chance.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Trust me. They have quality on their squad this year. Anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you they have a legitimate chance.
No, actually, anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you it would be a miracle for the US to make it to the final, and a huge accomplishment for them to make it out of the first knockout round. They will most likely have to play Germany in the first knockout game, then Argentina, then Spain to get to the final.  People throw out these absurd expectations and then get disappointed when the US performs as they should. You do realize that other than the flukiest world cup of all time in 2002, in which they needed a miracle win by South Korea to advance out of the group stage while they were being pummeled by Poland, the US has finished more or less at the bottom of most world cups it has participated in? Just tone down your expectations and enjoy their games. 
Kuods to Charlie btw. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif

Ahh man, the number of post like this we're gonna see from here on through the WC.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
No, actually, anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you it would be a miracle for the US to make it to the final, and a huge accomplishment for them to make it out of the first knockout round. They will most likely have to play Germany in the first knockout game, then Argentina, then Spain to get to the final.  People throw out these absurd expectations and then get disappointed when the US performs as they should. You do realize that other than the flukiest world cup of all time in 2002, in which they needed a miracle win by South Korea to advance out of the group stage while they were being pummeled by Poland, the US has finished more or less at the bottom of most world cups it has participated in? Just tone down your expectations and enjoy their games. 
Kuods to Charlie btw. 
Come on Persia we really don't need to start this.  I know where this is going from the Confederations Cup thread over the summer.  Obviously US is not making the Final.  It would be more miraculous than Davies coming back from near death than for the US to make the final.  But to try to discount what they have done in WC is just not right.  I mean in the modern era of US Soccer we are really only talking about 5 WCs.  '90 they had no chance it was just a bunch of college kids.  Lucky to even make the WC.  '94 they made it out of the group and gave Brazil a tough game in the 1st knockout round.  I would consider that a success.  '98 was dreadful and everyone knows that.  '02 was great and yes they did get crushed by Poland but they also beat a very good Portugal team, tied South Korea who ended up in the Semis and played Germany tough in the 2nd round of knockouts and maybe should have won.  '06 was a disappointment but they did play Italy to a hard fought draw. All I am saying is there is no need to bash the US on their WC history because they don't have a long history and they have made strides.  This year I am hoping for them to at the very least get out of the group.  Possibly winning it if the England game goes right.  If we win the group I would expect to win the first knockout game.  Everything past that would be icing on the cake and I think that is what most American Soccer fans expect.

Originally Posted by babam11218719

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Kuods to Charlie btw. 
Come on Persia we really don't need to start this.  I know where this is going from the Confederations Cup thread over the summer.  Obviously US is not making the Final.  It would be more miraculous than Davies coming back from near death than for the US to make the final.  But to try to discount what they have done in WC is just not right.  I mean in the modern era of US Soccer we are really only talking about 5 WCs.  '90 they had no chance it was just a bunch of college kids.  Lucky to even make the WC.  '94 they made it out of the group and gave Brazil a tough game in the 1st knockout round.  I would consider that a success.  '98 was dreadful and everyone knows that.  '02 was great and yes they did get crushed by Poland but they also beat a very good Portugal team, tied South Korea who ended up in the Semis and played Germany tough in the 2nd round of knockouts and maybe should have won.  '06 was a disappointment but they did play Italy to a hard fought draw. All I am saying is there is no need to bash the US on their WC history because they don't have a long history and they have made strides.  This year I am hoping for them to at the very least get out of the group.  Possibly winning it if the England game goes right.  If we win the group I would expect to win the first knockout game.  Everything past that would be icing on the cake and I think that is what most American Soccer fans expect.
I really couldn't agree more with everything you said, and my intention was never to bash the USNT. All I meant was that this whole talk of "US will win it" should stop before it starts so that we can all enjoy whatever the team does actually accomplish. If all/most USNT fans were as levelheaded as you I wouldn't have to type these paragraphs. But people constantly come with "if it wasn't for a handball missed call we would have won the WC in 2002," and "we are on par with any team in the world." If the US does win its group/advance far/win the world cup, I will stand and cheer, but I think it's unfair to the boys to throw out these wild expectations/guarantees of World Cup glory. 

For the sake of the USMT I really hope Charlie makes it back. We have NOBODY up front. NOBODY! Jozy can't even get in the lineup at Hull. SMH. Robbie Findley's not the answer. We could move Clint up, but he's hurt. Casey and Ching both suck. EJ hasn't gotten any full 90s.

The whole situation stinks to high hell.

On the topic of the World Cup, we have a legit chance to make it to the semi-finals. Make it out of our group then face either Germany or Ghana, either match we are more than capable of winning. Then we'd face a Mexican squad that can't beat us outside of Mexico.

The reality is, as a USMNT supporter, I fear no one in the world. I honestly think we can beat any team on the planet.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

For the sake of the USMT I really hope Charlie makes it back. We have NOBODY up front. NOBODY! Jozy can't even get in the lineup at Hull. SMH. Robbie Findley's not the answer. We could move Clint up, but he's hurt. Casey and Ching both suck. EJ hasn't gotten any full 90s.

The whole situation stinks to high hell.

On the topic of the World Cup, we have a legit chance to make it to the semi-finals. Make it out of our group then face either Germany or Ghana, either match we are more than capable of winning. Then we'd face a Mexican squad that can't beat us outside of Mexico.

The reality is, as a USMNT supporter, I fear no one in the world. I honestly think we can beat any team on the planet.

These responses are laughable at best, first you start off by mentioning how the U.S. has no attack and how bad the situation is right now for the team, then you say that they can easily make semis? Are you kidding me? First of all the U.S. is not more than capable of beating Germany, a win against an elite team like Germany would be a miraculous upset at best. And then you're talking as if Mexico is automatically in the quarter-finals, no they have to pass the group stage and then probably face off against Argentina, another elite team. So realistically speaking the U.S. has to pass the group stage then play Germany and Argentina to make it to semi-finals, does that sound like a legit chance? Not by a mile. And you think that the U.S. can beat any team on the planet? I don't even think Bob Bradley or any of the players believe that, the U.S. has never beaten an elite team in a modern World Cup, what makes you think that this injury ridden squad can? You really need to learn something from the other U.S. fans in this thread, learn your place in International football and be content with making it past the group stage if you can, the U.S. is light-years away from being an elite team, I wouldn't even go as far to say that the U.S. is even close to being a semi-elite team like Portugal or the Netherlands, honestly the team should just be happy to get the chance to travel to South Africa.

Back
Top Bottom