Charlie Davies might play in the World Cup afterall!

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

For the sake of the USMT I really hope Charlie makes it back. We have NOBODY up front. NOBODY! Jozy can't even get in the lineup at Hull. SMH. Robbie Findley's not the answer. We could move Clint up, but he's hurt. Casey and Ching both suck. EJ hasn't gotten any full 90s.

The whole situation stinks to high hell.

On the topic of the World Cup, we have a legit chance to make it to the semi-finals. Make it out of our group then face either Germany or Ghana, either match we are more than capable of winning. Then we'd face a Mexican squad that can't beat us outside of Mexico.

The reality is, as a USMNT supporter, I fear no one in the world. I honestly think we can beat any team on the planet.

These responses are laughable at best, first you start off by mentioning how the U.S. has no attack and how bad the situation is right now for the team, then you say that they can easily make semis? Are you kidding me? First of all the U.S. is not more than capable of beating Germany, a win against an elite team like Germany would be a miraculous upset at best. And then you're talking as if Mexico is automatically in the quarter-finals, no they have to pass the group stage and then probably face off against Argentina, another elite team. So realistically speaking the U.S. has to pass the group stage then play Germany and Argentina to make it to semi-finals, does that sound like a legit chance? Not by a mile. And you think that the U.S. can beat any team on the planet? I don't even think Bob Bradley or any of the players believe that, the U.S. has never beaten an elite team in a modern World Cup, what makes you think that this injury ridden squad can? You really need to learn something from the other U.S. fans in this thread, learn your place in International football and be content with making it past the group stage if you can, the U.S. is light-years away from being an elite team, I wouldn't even go as far to say that the U.S. is even close to being a semi-elite team like Portugal or the Netherlands, honestly the team should just be happy to get the chance to travel to South Africa.

At first I was gonna agree with you but after reading the second half of your post it seems to me more like you hate the US more than anything else. You really don't think they can beat a good team on any given day? They've given big teams a run for their money many times and even beaten some. "Miraculous upsets" happen, that's why you play the game! I know it's all about the W's  but for you to dismiss the US in the WC as if they were Saudi Arabia makes you look foolish. Also you're talking about "modern" world cups as if they came around every year. Rosters change drastically in that amount of time and in the case of the US they're a completely different team from 12 years ago. The last 8 WC games for the US have been against :

1. Germany              (eventual runner up)
2. Italy                    (eventual champ)
3. Czech Republic (#1 ranked team coming into 06 WC)
4. Portugal              (no one gave us a chance)
5. Ghana                 (African champ at the time)
6. Korea                (Host of the WC, good tie)
7. Mexico               (again no one gave us a chance)
8. Poland               (no excuse lol)

Out of these you have 5 very good teams, 1 host, and 1 big regional rival. The only game the US looked like they didn't belong on the field was the game vs Czech's. Other than that all their games were competitive and they were far from being a team that "should be happy just to be there" as you put it.

I'm willing to put some $ this coming WC on the US for any game. If you wanna put your $ where your mouth is lmk.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by King Beef

Quote me on this........USMNT will be in the FINAL. YES THE FINAL!
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Trust me. They have quality on their squad this year. Anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you they have a legitimate chance.
No, actually, anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you it would be a miracle for the US to make it to the final, and a huge accomplishment for them to make it out of the first knockout round. They will most likely have to play Germany in the first knockout game, then Argentina, then Spain to get to the final.  People throw out these absurd expectations and then get disappointed when the US performs as they should. You do realize that other than the flukiest world cup of all time in 2002, in which they needed a miracle win by South Korea to advance out of the group stage while they were being pummeled by Poland, the US has finished more or less at the bottom of most world cups it has participated in? Just tone down your expectations and enjoy their games. 
Kuods to Charlie btw. 
buzz killington over here
laugh.gif

how's 2L treatin ya btw?  hate your career choice yet?  i know i do.

Originally Posted by socluis90

At first I was gonna agree with you but after reading the second half of your post it seems to me more like you hate the US more than anything else. You really don't think they can beat a good team on any given day? They've given big teams a run for their money many times and even beaten some. "Miraculous upsets" happen, that's why you play the game! I know it's all about the W's  but for you to dismiss the US in the WC as if they were Saudi Arabia makes you look foolish. Also you're talking about "modern" world cups as if they came around every year. Rosters change drastically in that amount of time and in the case of the US they're a completely different team from 12 years ago. The last 8 WC games for the US have been against :

1. Germany              (eventual runner up)
2. Italy                    (eventual champ)
3. Czech Republic (#1 ranked team coming into 06 WC)
4. Portugal              (no one gave us a chance)
5. Ghana                 (African champ at the time)
6. Korea                (Host of the WC, good tie)
7. Mexico               (again no one gave us a chance)
8. Poland               (no excuse lol)

Out of these you have 5 very good teams, 1 host, and 1 big regional rival. The only game the US looked like they didn't belong on the field was the game vs Czech's. Other than that all their games were competitive and they were far from being a team that "should be happy just to be there" as you put it.

I'm willing to put some $ this coming WC on the US for any game. If you wanna put your $ where your mouth is lmk.
wink.gif
-Czech Republic weren't even close to being ranked #1 going into the 06 WC
-Ghana haven't been African champs in 3-decades and failed to make it out of the ACN group stage in 2006 (5 months prior to the WC)
-U.S. were favorites going up against a Mexico team that cant beat the U.S. outside of Mexico

The U.S. were fortunate in 2002 to get a round-of-16 match-up vs. Mexico...a team they were extremely familiar with and one of the few teams that version of the USMNT was capable of beating in the KO-stage of the WC.

You keep mentioning being competitive, but being competitive isn't enough to seperate the U.S. from the rest of the 2nd tier teams going to the WC. Being competitive isn't all that difficult anyways in this sport...put 8-men behind the ball at all times and you'll keep all of your matches close.

U.S. soccer is developing at a rapid pace and the nation has made tremendous strides over the past 20-years. That being said, any talk of the U.S. competing for the WC is extremely pre-mature. There will be a lot of talk on ESPN (the broadcast holder of the 2010 WC) about the U.S. being WC contenders but that'll only be to drive up U.S. fan interest.

The team as a whole is not very good in attack and their 4-man defence by itself can not contain talented offensive teams. The U.S. were able to beat Spain in the CC after Bradley realized that their defence wasn't good enough (after conceding 5 goals to Italy and Brazil) so he had his boys pack the middle of the park and force Spain to take long distance shots. Unless they stick to this strict defensive strategy in the WC, they will be in for a disappointment.

I have watched many Algeria matches over the past year and I think that they have one of the most unpredictable and disciplined sides in the world. They aren't perfect by any means but this team is capable of finishing 2nd in the group.

Who ever finishes 2nd in this group will likely be in for a nice treat in the 2nd round...Germany.

At the end of the day, the real WC contenders include Germany, Spain, England, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, etc.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Quote me on this........USMNT will be in the FINAL. YES THE FINAL!
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Trust me. They have quality on their squad this year. Anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you they have a legitimate chance.
No, actually, anyone with any soccer knowledge would tell you it would be a miracle for the US to make it to the final, and a huge accomplishment for them to make it out of the first knockout round. They will most likely have to play Germany in the first knockout game, then Argentina, then Spain to get to the final.  People throw out these absurd expectations and then get disappointed when the US performs as they should. You do realize that other than the flukiest world cup of all time in 2002, in which they needed a miracle win by South Korea to advance out of the group stage while they were being pummeled by Poland, the US has finished more or less at the bottom of most world cups it has participated in? Just tone down your expectations and enjoy their games. 
Kuods to Charlie btw. 
buzz killington over here
laugh.gif

how's 2L treatin ya btw?  hate your career choice yet?  i know i do.
laugh.gif

2L is definitely better than 1L, but we definitely chose a horrible time to go to law school. Half of our class is still unemployed. 
sick.gif
 Are you in law school now? I remember you were applying and stuff, not sure if you told me where you ended up. 

Wait, so he really made up those "facts" about Ghana and the Czechs? socluis you're my dude but c'mon now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by socluis90

-Czech Republic weren't even close to being ranked #1 going into the 06 WC.
-Ghana haven't been African champs in 3-decades and failed to make it out of the ACN group stage in 2006 (5 months prior to the WC)
-U.S. were favorites going up against a Mexico team that cant beat the U.S. outside of Mexico

The U.S. were fortunate in 2002 to get a round-of-16 match-up vs. Mexico...a team they were extremely familiar with and one of the few teams that version of the USMNT was capable of beating in the KO-stage of the WC.

You keep mentioning being competitive, but being competitive isn't enough to seperate the U.S. from the rest of the 2nd tier teams going to the WC. Being competitive isn't all that difficult anyways in this sport...put 8-men behind the ball at all times and you'll keep all of your matches close.

U.S. soccer is developing at a rapid pace and the nation has made tremendous strides over the past 20-years. That being said, any talk of the U.S. competing for the WC is extremely pre-mature. There will be a lot of talk on ESPN (the broadcast holder of the 2010 WC) about the U.S. being WC contenders but that'll only be to drive up U.S. fan interest.

The team as a whole is not very good in attack and their 4-man defence by itself can not contain talented offensive teams. The U.S. were able to beat Spain in the CC after Bradley realized that their defence wasn't good enough (after conceding 5 goals to Italy and Brazil) so he had his boys pack the middle of the park and force Spain to take long distance shots. Unless they stick to this strict defensive strategy in the WC, they will be in for a disappointment.

I have watched many Algeria matches over the past year and I think that they have one of the most unpredictable and disciplined sides in the world. They aren't perfect by any means but this team is capable of finishing 2nd in the group.

Who ever finishes 2nd in this group will likely be in for a nice treat in the 2nd round...Germany.

At the end of the day, the real WC contenders include Germany, Spain, England, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, etc.
-Czech's were ranked # 2 all year leading up to the 06 WC. I was off by one
grin.gif
. You can check by clicking here
-I remember Ghana being the best African team going into that WC at the time, I could be wrong.
-No way US were favorites against Mexico though. Mexico had a good team and the US was barely starting their winning streak against them out of Mexican soil at the time.

Either way it sounds like I'm making excuses (which I am in a way) but all I'm trying to say is the US is not just a team that's there to fill a spot. They have the potential to make an upset at any given time. I expect them to make it out of the group stage and give Germany or any of the other 3 teams in group D a run for their money. Believe me I know our place in international football but I also don't like it when people try to make us look worse than we really are. That's all.

Sorry for the wrong facts lol. I was going off what I remembered at the time.

Tevez and PersiaFly are the only ones in this thread that know what they're talking about, the rest of you are going off what happened eight years ago in the flukiest and worst officiated World Cup in history, a second place finish in a Confederations Cup that means absolutely nothing in the long run, made up facts, and games the team ALMOST won to say that the U.S. is a legit contender for the World Cup. Seriously give it up, you guys just sound stupid now. Titles talk, not close games, quarter-final runs, or second place finishes.

Back
Top Bottom