Carmelo Anthony takes horrible shots

[h1]Melo: Maybe I'm shooting too much[/h1]
nba_u_anthony_b3_576.jpg

January, 22, 2012
Jan 22

1:40

AM ET

By Ian Begley
After the Knicks' double-overtime loss to Denver on Saturday, Carmelo Anthony sat in silence at his locker, in full uniform, for about 15 minutes, thinking about the events of the past week.

The Knicks (6-9) had lost four home games in the past six days, two to teams with 4-9 records at the time.

In those four games, Anthony shot a combined 35-of-105 (33 percent).

"Maybe I need to not take so many shots. I don't know," he said. "There's just a bunch of stuff that goes through my mind. Just [trying to figure] out ways to make other guys better. Should I pass it more?"

In the midst of questioning everything, Anthony accepted blame for the Knicks' six-game losing streak.

"The coaches do run the offense through me so I'll take it. I'l take that blame," Anthony said.

He went 10-for-30 against Denver, missing 13 of his first 16 attempts.

But Anthony had his moments.

He hit his final four shots of regulation, including a 22-foot jumper with 1.7 seconds to play that sent the game to overtime.

But he couldn't muster enough in the two subsequent overtimes to get the Knicks over the hump.

Mike D'Antoni said after the game that his struggling team has a gorilla on it's back right now.

It also has a star who isn't making shots.

"The shots that I've been taking, I'll take those shots every night," Anthony said after going 3-for-9 in both overtimes. "Those are shots that I work on in the gym. They're just not falling for me right now."

Anthony hasn't been the same since returning from right ankle and left wrist injuries last Monday against the Magic. The Knicks are off on Sunday. Anthony said he will meet with the team's medical staff on Monday to determine whether he should sit out Tuesday's game -- and possibly more -- to allow the injuries to heal.

"I'm kind of hard-headed sometimes [when trainers tell] me to sit out games. I don't really know how to take that. But maybe it's time to re-evaluate that," he said.

Making matters worse for Anthony, with their win on Saturday the Nuggets improved to 31-16 since the trade that sent Anthony to the Knicks. New York fell to 20-28 since the trade. Saturday's game was the teams' first since the blockbuster deal last February.

And one of the key pieces in the trade -- former Knick Danilo Gallinari -- torched his former club career-high 37 points.

Gallinari got to 37 by taking 11 fewer shots than Anthony, who right now is a star who can't shoot straight.

"When you're missing shots and they're right there, you say, 'Maybe the next one, maybe the next one.' That's kind of the mentality you have. Maybe I need to stop shooting a lot. I don't know," Anthony said. "There's just a bunch of stuff that goes through my mind. Obviously, that's the case when the shot's are not falling."

laugh.gif
Ya'll can't say on paper w/o a single game played that this team didn't look like a contender.  I really don't understand how dudes came back with less chemistry than a  late season roster change.

I used to live close to denver when melo used to play for the nuggets, and when they played teams like the bucks or clippers he wouldnt attempt to play defense the whole game and would shoot it everytime he had the ball. When him and iverson was on the same team it was even worse

My issue isnt even with him shooting as much as it is Amare not demanding the ball or Mike D telling Melo that he should get Amare involved more. Shumpert shot more than Amare last night and that's a major red flag with this team.

There's something going wrong in that locker room or off the court.

The Melo from the Olympic team was a totally different player. It's not even like Melo cant get any shot he wants either.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

laugh.gif
Ya'll can't say on paper w/o a single game played that this team didn't look like a contender.  I really don't understand how dudes came back with less chemistry than a  late season roster change.
Didn't look like? Season is still fresh. It isn't over. Give them time. No need to panic. I know it is been a while since he got there but let all of this play out first. 
But Melo is what we thought he was.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Carmelo Anthony isnt that good that simply it. He is the most overrated player in the league next to Stoudemire, they arent leaders at all and they both play no defense.

I guess that's the silver lining of next year.
If he gets picked for the US team, he should come back a different person.

Happens every time.

and there's still no telling what effect Baron's gonna have from a leadership perspective.
(he might be a better coach than Woodson or Pringles to Melo)

Originally Posted by wiredz3

Originally Posted by Beware The Underdog

Originally Posted by throwedyonasb
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I kept hearing "the Knicks are back" but they are the same ol Knicks.
30t6p3b.gif

But ...they have the sickest front court in the East...

From the NBA predictions thread:
seasoned vet wrote:
roll.gif
 ........you really got doods in here acting like the NY Knicks didnt just come up on the sickest front court in the East? seriously? and ive never liked the Knicks.

MIA #1 
laugh.gif
  (not saying MIA cant be #1 but its a tossup between them and NYK for sure)

CHI #2
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I aint even surprised dude said that. Dude is one of the dumbest people ive seen on this board.

Melo has always played this way.  He can do so many other things well (passing and rebounding when motiviated) but all he cares about is scoring.  It's going to get really ugly when he reverts back to the poor work ethic he showed in Denver and Knicks fans turn on him.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't know how you can say Amare is NOT a leader when he was doing JUST fine leading his young team last season before the trade.

The problem with this team is a severe lack of depth. I'm convinced Melo is more hurt then he would like to admit and he plans on resting (finally), because he has never shot the ball this poorly. But that is besides the point, Amare has not looked comfortable since Melo has been there, and there is WAY TOO MUCH ISO plays for both guy, no fluid ball movement, no team play, lack of chemistry, and no real threat's outside of Amare and Melo.

Ownership's fault for giving up the entire team, Donnie wanted to give 1-2 players LESS and he was trolled. Dolan is a loser version of Steinbrenner.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

I guess that's the silver lining of next year.
If he gets picked for the US team, he should come back a different person.

Happens every time.

and there's still no telling what effect Baron's gonna have from a leadership perspective.
(he might be a better coach than Woodson or Pringles to Melo)

LOL @ the thought of Baron bringing leadership. I thought Melo would've changed during his last stint with the Olympic team playing so closely nextb to Kobe & Wade, but he arguably came back even worse. Part of the problem is the coaches he's had dating back to Bohiem. They just run ISOs for him so he's picked up tons of bad habits. He could never play in any offense that requires discipline. I laugh at the thought of Phil coming to the Knicks. In theory, Melo would be great in the triagle, but in reality he have lots of trouble.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

My issue isnt even with him shooting as much as it is Amare not demanding the ball or Mike D telling Melo that he should get Amare involved more. Shumpert shot more than Amare last night and that's a major red flag with this team.

There's something going wrong in that locker room or off the court.

The Melo from the Olympic team was a totally different player. It's not even like Melo cant get any shot he wants either.
exactly if you look at his history even dating back to his college days, melo never really wanted to be deferred to all the time. he never really looked to be that guy. but he grew into that role in denver becuse they pretty much demanded and expected  him to basically be a ball hog. whats funny is that karl asked and expected this from melo, then once he felt melo had sufficient help he just expected melo to turn off the switch and turn back into that player he was 5 or so years ago. I mean basically they created that monster, now everyone is up in arms about what he has become.

Same with nyk. Dantoni isnt much of a x and o coach, plus melo has never had a 1/2 punch at any point in his career. nor has he had a prominant big to give and go and feed to and defer to. It take time to change so drastically to an entirely different player.

Same happen with kobe those yrs they didnt make the playoffs, only thing with kobe was he was use to playing with an inside presence and in a system so transitioning back wasnt so hard or took as long.

Make no mistakes melo can and has shown he can be a all around player ie like a lebron, see allstar games and olympics. Thing is he has been expected and asked to play a certain way for so long, its not just gonna switch just like that especially considering the players and coach he has surrounding him.

This forum continues to put WAY too much stock into what happens in international play. Either from what actually happens or expecting players to morph into some new charitable teammate because they played nice with others.

But I thought this was the year Melo was gonna show out and prove the haterz wrong? I thought he was finally gonna put it all together in his 9th year in the league...

DCAllAmerican wrote:
Melo is what we thought he was.

Back
Top Bottom