Can we please come to a consensus that Andre 3000 is very over rated?

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

If Jay or Nas spit the sub par verses hes been dropping recently, they'd be crucified.
*listens to Nas's verse on My President is Black & Jay-Z's verse on XXXO*
Oh. OK.

I think the longer he takes to drop a solo while being on a feature or leaking a new song or old verse the more it amps his stans to go overboard when his solo album does drop.

Like I can't even imagine the amount of slobbering the day his album is out.

Jay and Nas have put out completely subpar albums...but then again I am trying to discuss HIP HOP on the NT music forum..

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

He doesn't need to put out anything new to have his name placed with some of the best of all time... His discography speaks for itself. Anything from here on out is pretty much just extra
laugh.gif
This guy gets it.  
The classic verses and flow have BEEN solidified.  The new stuff can't take that away.  Same goes for Jay and Nas (even though they've consistently been putting out underwhelming music).  

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Jay and Nas have put out completely subpar albums...but then again I am trying to discuss HIP HOP on the NT music forum..

But he hasn't even put out a single solo hip-hop album yet. Not 1.
The dynamics of making music as a group/duo and carrying a solo career on your own is completely different...ask Pusha T.

so...Black Thought is not the GOAT cause he is in a group? Black Thought is easily the GOAT! lol

apples and oranges i'm just messin with y'all.

Big
Jay

Pac

Nas

Em

Cube

Scarface

Ghost 

Pun

Mos Def

Redman

And I could still name more before I even get to him

Cats acting like Big Boi ain't make mad Kast tracks and outspit Andre at times....and we know Big Boi ain't in the GOAT category so how is Andre? We know they are most likely the GGOAT but how is he the best Hip-Hop artist of all time?...Like what even qualifies that? 
What happens when he starts singing too much or being too experimental without Big Boi's gritty straightforward delivery....can he carry a whole Hip-Hop album at at an elite level? Will people be as drawn to him standing on his own? We don't even know.

I personally don't think he's better than Mos, Lauryn Hill or Cee-Lo...or a whole gang of other Hip-Hop artists.

You got cats like Ghostface and Doom that got crazy concepts, multiple personas/characters, classic albums (solo and group), are heavily influential and spit some of the most creative and witty bars in the history of the genre...I can't put Andre over them.

Too much groupthink in Hip-Hop.

I've always preferred Big Boi over Dre. And even more so since 3K has only been dropping 3 verses a year for like 5 years now.
I know many people say otherwise, but 3K & Cee-Lo actually rapping >>>>>>>>>

It's funny you posted this, cause I re-listened to Stankonia right before I went to sleep, and OutKast as a whole is amazing.

Can't speak on any recent subpar verses from Jay and/or Nas, but recent subpar production, yea, that's another story...

I agree that without a proper solo rap album its hard to rank him. It's almost doesn't feel right to rank him. Shawn Michaels was a great wrestler as a member of the Rockers but if he never went solo no one looks at him the way they do now. Weak analogy I know but you get what I'm saying. Anyways, all I know is when I play Sir Luscius Leftfoot I feel like I've been underrating Big Boi. I need 3 Stacks to drop a solo rap album so I can feel out where he belongs.

so...Black Thought is not the GOAT cause he is in a group? Black Thought is easily the GOAT! lol

I understand the argument you're trying to make but that situation does not exist. Black Thought is in a band. He is the only official rapper in it and therefore when it comes to talking rap he gets all the praise. The most they're sharing in that group is ideas. When Black gets presented with that beat he goes in.

There really isn't a hip hop group with one rapper where you can compare the approach to making an album to a group like Outkast. That's two dudes working off each other lyrically with hooks let alone verses. I mean when ppl talk Eric B. & Rakim, we praising Ra for the raps and Eric for the beats.

Reason ppl can't run away yellin Kast is goat is because in that category they got crazy competition.

^^^RavageBX, perfect analogy actually.

But Big Boi's SSLP & 2 Got Purp Compilation albums >>> 3K's The Love Below and "Seashells by the seashore" verses every 4 months.

You guys that are saying dre is the "goat" aren't providing any arguments.
And even if he drops a solo he doesn't have an illmatic, reasonable doubt or ready to die under his belt... !@#% it probably wont even be a blueprint, stillmatci or life after death

hes not even top 10 if he has to share songs and albums with another artist who can match him bar for bar.

^Yeah that's another problem I have with ppl calling him goat. If you calling 3Stax goat for kast album you might as well call Big Boi goat for those very same album but you rarely if ever be hearing ppl making noise about that when it's agreed that Andre is not that better than him (some he's not better at all).

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I understand the argument you're trying to make but that situation does not exist. Black Thought is in a band. He is the only official rapper in it and therefore when it comes to talking rap he gets all the praise. The most they're sharing in that group is ideas. When Black gets presented with that beat he goes in.

There really isn't a hip hop group with one rapper where you can compare the approach to making an album to a group like Outkast. That's two dudes working off each other lyrically with hooks let alone verses. I mean when ppl talk Eric B. & Rakim, we praising Ra for the raps and Eric for the beats.

Reason ppl can't run away yellin Kast is goat is because in that category they got crazy competition.

Yeah, they have competition.  But I think anyone could make a pretty easy and strong case for Outkast as a group being GOATs.  
laugh.gif

Is he even going to drop a solo album? I doubt it. IDK why either doesnt he know that he has a legion of sackriders who will deem it a classic regardless of what it sounds like?

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

He's definitely not overrated in his rapping abilities, he's moreso overrated in that people put him as a GOAT having never dropped a solo RAP album. Andre3000 had the luxury of vibing of another great emcee in Big Boi. Its much different in having to create a classic rap album on your own than having the presence of another great emcee around you. Damn near most of his verses on Outkast albums are classics but for me to put him in that goat category I would have needed a solo lp.
Exactly. I remember I got crucified for saying this in a Andre thread a few weeks back.
The guy is overrated. Definitely the most overrated rapper in recent history.

Back
Top Bottom